Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I don't think any of them are boardsies but congrats anyway new Scholars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

brownacid wrote: »
    i got a solid 41% in that 2 years ago, I was like you, just concentrate on the thermodynamics section, its fairly easy once you gte the hang of it and its two questions that can seriously help you. I think it was in fact the only two question i did on the paper

Im banking on definitions and then learning equations and writing them out-doing a leaving cert on it basically. 2 weeks, lets see how much crap I can remember :/ god I feel like an arts student

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Just noticed on the sample 2e3 exam the line:
    "You are NOT permitted to use a calculator for this examination."
    Does this mean the invigilators or someone else will actually be making sure we don't have them in the hall? I don't want to be the only guy who follows the rules if it turns out it's not enforced...
    Also, the continuous assessment in 2e3 was worth 40%. If someone got 40% and failed the exam (e.g. got 20%) would he be allowed to pass the module?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Not sure, but I'm under the impression that that they'll be doing their best to pass everyone, through whichever combination of tutorial marks and exam marks works best.

devinejay wrote: »
    Somebody said "Easiest exam I'll ever fail" today, it rang fairly true with what I was thinking.

New contender for that title.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

devinejay wrote: »
    New contender for that title.

What did the rest of the second years think of 2e3?

Jonathan wrote: »
    What did the rest of the second years think of 2e3?
    He went very easy on us. There was a whole question which involved just writing a header, implementation file and sample main program for a class called Box which had methods for doing stuff like return the volume and area etc. It was much easier than the sample paper, while retaining a lot of the, em, "characteristics"...

1e3....... hahahahahahaha, so easy... anyone else do this?

Groinshot wrote: »
    Yeah it's a pretty fun exam :D. Definitely helped make up for 1e4 anyways, and that was even with just learning the chemistry questions and ignoring the physics...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

The last 2 questions were just like the practicals, with a really small change, still easy though...

• Advertisement

Edit; I was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Piss, some people thought it was hard...

Look at the practicals, she does the same thing every year, uses practicals!

TheAmateur wrote: »
    Yeah it's a pretty fun exam :D. Definitely helped make up for 1e4 anyways, and that was even with just learning the chemistry questions and ignoring the physics...

well, youve obv seen the story with the physics now, its gonna be dead handy :P
    Chemistry on the other hand..... with 27/100 on my labs then I have a bit of work to do I think :S

last question on 1e3 was straight of 2005 paper, as was Q2. and we had done Q3 in the last practical, the factorial bit was in a past paper, and the bar chart thing aws done in a lecture! how much easier can you get than that?

well, youve obv seen the story with the physics now, its gonna be dead handy :P
    Chemistry on the other hand..... with 27/100 on my labs then I have a bit of work to do I think :S

last question on 1e3 was straight of 2005 paper, as was Q2. and we had done Q3 in the last practical, the factorial bit was in a past paper, and the bar chart thing aws done in a lecture! how much easier can you get than that?

Physcis exam could just be a giant piss up now looking at that sample paper, presuming they stick to the level its on, but still, 20 marks for a paper, one fook up is 5% :eek:

And I thought the 2e4 sample paper was tough... From the looks of the email we just got though, at least I'm not alone. Anyone else feel it was unfair?

Yep, second half of the paper was ... well, undoable for me. Clinging onto the hope that I might've got 7/16 questions right.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Yep, second half of the paper was ... well, undoable for me. Clinging onto the hope that I might've got 7/16 questions right.
    Me too :(. Sent an email to the class rep, but not to the lecturers (considering it though). If enough noise is made it should be taken into account at marking (in theory anyways).

It was a fairly rough exam alright, but I wasn't expecting it to be marvelous either so I wasn't as obviously shocked as some other people were. I think I passed anyway, after that I don't really care.

Me too :(. Sent an email to the class rep, but not to the lecturers (considering it though). If enough noise is made it should be taken into account at marking (in theory anyways).

careful you don't make too much noise, If you do youll end up with everyone flying passes. Should see our sample physics paper.....

careful you don't make too much noise, If you do youll end up with everyone flying passes. Should see our sample physics paper.....

Something wrong with that!? :P

• Advertisement

timmywex wrote: »
    Something wrong with that!? :P

2 HOURS, 2 questions.

question 1, plu in 4 numbers into a formula, get an answer. Triple a number, do it again. put numbers into a different formula. 15 mins, if you guess what your writing down.

halfway there.

gotta love it :)

A progressive subject like 2E7 should surely be an open-internet exam.

Baza210 wrote: »
    A progressive subject like 2E7 should surely be an open-internet exam.
    lol, or they should at least not be destroying the environment themselves with four exam booklets for each student plus an MCQ sheet.
    Did you guys learn yer wan's tutorials too, only to be cruelly denied happiness with questions on point source pollution and the last question on the tutorial (which I decided not to look at)?

I didn't really learn anything. From the module.

F*ck Chemistry

Eh results, do we have to go into college to see the results or are they posted/emailed out to us?

Or put online here ; http://www.tcd.ie/Engineering/Courses/BAI/Results/

timmywex wrote: »
    Eh results, do we have to go into college to see the results or are they posted/emailed out to us?

Or put online here ; http://www.tcd.ie/Engineering/Courses/BAI/Results/
    They're posted and put online, so you can do whichever's easier. I remember last year they were supposed to be posted at 1pm or something but they were actually online (on the student records page) a bit earlier than that. What was posted was then put up as a PDF document on the link you have there.
    I also think I remember reading that the ones online in the records are "provisional" too, and that what's posted is the definitive source i.e. if there's a discrepancy between what's online and what was posted, the posted ones are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

And by posted he means put up on a notice board.. Not sent in the mail and delivered by the man on the bicycle...

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether the "macs for elec/comp engineers" program is going to happen next year? How many years has it been running for already?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether the "macs for elec/comp engineers" program is going to happen next year? How many years has it been running for already?

Two years.

Advertisement