Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Jonathan wrote: »
    Two years.
    And any word on next year? What exactly did they give you guys?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

TheAmateur wrote: »
    And any word on next year? What exactly did they give you guys?

Nope. Entry level 13" MacBook Pro.

Nope. Entry level 13" MacBook Pro.
    Nice. Is the coursework in the elec and comp departments mac-based rather than windows-based then?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Nice. Is the coursework in the elec and comp departments mac-based rather than windows-based then?
    The laptops are given to students in the CS dept only (CD and D streams). The coursework generally doesn't require a specific OS. You can nearly always find a program to do what you want to do on your platform.

OS isn't that big a deal these days anyway. People can easily lash a copy of Windows on it using BootCamp for compatibility. Personally, I've mine wiped of OSX totally and replaced it with Linux. :)

The laptops are given to students in the CS dept only (CD and D streams). The coursework generally doesn't require a specific OS. You can nearly always find a program to do what you want to do on your platform.

OS isn't that big a deal these days anyway. People can easily lash a copy of Windows on it using BootCamp for compatibility. Personally, I've mine wiped of OSX totally and replaced it with Linux. :)
    Thanks for the info. And sorry for all the questions! I'm looking for a replacement laptop at the moment, and I'm looking at 13-14" (specifically this one) because I'm envisioning lugging it around quite a bit next year (I picked CD stream), but it makes no sense getting one if they're going to give us one... what to do, what to do.
    What would you recommend? Wait it out and see if they give up the goods?
    I'm going to try and fix mine in the meantime anyways (GPU fried, sourced another mobo on ebay, motherboard replacements should be easy eh... :pac:) so hopefully I won't be completely laptop-less for too much longer.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. And sorry for all the questions! I'm looking for a replacement laptop at the moment, and I'm looking at 13-14" (specifically this one) because I'm envisioning lugging it around quite a bit next year (I picked CD stream), but it makes no sense getting one if they're going to give us one... what to do, what to do.
    What would you recommend? Wait it out and see if they give up the goods?
    I'm going to try and fix mine in the meantime anyways (GPU fried, sourced another mobo on ebay, motherboard replacements should be easy eh... :pac:) so hopefully I won't be completely laptop-less for too much longer.
    I'd try to fix the old one. You probably won't get the laptops, if you are getting them at all, until November.

I'd try to fix the old one. You probably won't get the laptops, if you are getting them at all, until November.
    I see. Would you bring yours in every day? I don't think I'd go for something bigger than a 13.3" if it's going to have to be in the backpack every day, and the one I'm trying to fix is 17" :o, so if we're going to need one from the get-go, I might as well get that small Acer.

I see. Would you bring yours in every day? I don't think I'd go for something bigger than a 13.3" if it's going to have to be in the backpack every day, and the one I'm trying to fix is 17" :o, so if we're going to need one from the get-go, I might as well get that small Acer.
    There is no real need for a laptop. There is LG12 in the CS Dept., CADlab in the EE Dept, as well as all the public access computer rooms. Laptops are more of a hindrance than a help in lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Jonathon is wrong, surprisingly.

The free laptops for CD/D has been going on for 10 years. The choice of laptop has changed every year, with the class of 2011 getting a mbp 13" and the year before getting an XPS 13".

But yeah, laptops hinder your attention span in lectures.

gearoidof wrote: »
    Jonathon is wrong, surprisingly.

The free laptops for CD/D has been going on for 10 years. The choice of laptop has changed every year, with the class of 2011 getting a mbp 13" and the year before getting an XPS 13".
    I think it was only expanded to CD about 2 years ago though. Before that it was D stream only afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I think someone asked at one of the stream-choice lectures last year if we were getting MBPs... afaik it was a Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Anyone remember from the last few years when abouts the timetables come out!?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

Anyone here doing Eng with management?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

timmywex wrote: »
    Anyone remember from the last few years when abouts the timetables come out!?

Freshers week or there abouts I think

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Laserhead wrote: »
    Anyone here doing Eng with management?

Not that I'm aware of. We don't take kindly to their sort around here :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dpfitzge

Yea I just graduated, what do you wanna know? You can pvt message me if there's specifics...

Are all the 3rd year timetable links broken for anyone else? They worked for me a minute ago though, then they broke again! I managed to snag the pdf in the attachment, I think/hope it's the CD stream timetable for this year. Oh engineering dept., how I did miss your lovable incompetence over the summer...
    EDIT: lol, the links seem to be randomly adding another "/undergraduate" folder after the first one, take it out and it seems to work.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Starting JF Engineering tomorrow. Just wondering is a lot of the engineering work in the first year practicle stuff or is it a lot of study or is it a balance of both?

I don't remember which modules I chose between 3E3/ST2004 and 3E1/3E1a... Jonathan, any idea?

Baza210 wrote: »
    I don't remember which modules I chose between 3E3/ST2004 and 3E1/3E1a... Jonathan, any idea?

Probably 3e3 and 3e1a.

I just had a look at your handbook. Hahahaha.

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere I can find out? My ISS portal only lists 3 modules...

Baza210 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can find out? My ISS portal only lists 3 modules...

Email the school office i'd imagine.

zoom! wrote: »
    Starting JF Engineering tomorrow. Just wondering is a lot of the engineering work in the first year practicle stuff or is it a lot of study or is it a balance of both?

Bit of a mix I suppose. Depending on the direction you want to go, there will most likely be at least one part of the course that you'll feel isn't practical/interesting. And there will definitely be stuff lectured on that you will never deal with again (aka cram before exam stuff). I didn't feel there was a lot of actual studying to be done (until the few weeks cramming before the exams :D) but there is a bit of work to do (labs, tutorials, projects, assignments etc.).

I'm so ****ed.

First day in and we had a lab, and I cocked it up completely. Didn't understand the experiments, (I didn't understand electricity in the LC, now I'm even more confused), the assistant guy wouldn't help us at all, and now I have to write a report, based entirely on this booklet they've given us, about the whole damn experience.

I'm so ****ed. :(

What lab was it?

Physics, Dc circuits. I can' t help thinking that I'm a day in and I'm already failing...

Laserhead wrote: »
    Physics, Dc circuits. I can' t help thinking that I'm a day in and I'm already failing...

Don't worry about it. Those labs were always a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

I remember ballsing that one up too.

As long as you understand how you ballsed up (or figure it out), and add that in discussion, you do pretty well!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tehPOK

Ah I know how you feel I did the Electrical Resistance and I hadn't a clue, they just gave us that manual and left us, like what the hell we're we supposed to do? :(

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Did the JF have an experiment today?

Advertisement