Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jodibobs

Brenville wrote: »
    Has anyone had anyone get to goal at their meeting. I have been going for 8 months now and in that time no one has reached goal Does anyone stick to it
    i got to my goal 4 weeks ago. i lost just under 5 stone in 16 months. in the 16 months i,m the 3rd person in my class to get to goal and its quite a big class. saying that it must easily be 15-20 times i have joined over the years and it was the only time i finished the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

amira wrote: »
    Where did you buy the chip tray? i was meant to buy one this weekend, but couldnt find any..

Got it in Dunnes - but I live in Derry. But the price sticker was in euro (E4), so they probably have them in the south too.

I have just cut up my butternut squash, arranged the 'chips' on my new chip tray & then found out that it is too big for my oven! I have it in there anyway, at an angle - hope the chips don't all slide off! I'm dying to taste them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Rugby Chic26

Hi everyone

Well done on all your weight-loss! Have read through most of the threads & find it very motivating!

I've never joined WW before & just wondering if ye would recommend it. I joined the "Biggest Loser Community Weight-loss" classes last year which lasts for 12weeks at a time. I lost 18lbs but have put it all back on again. I just found that I didn't really know what to eat or wasn't educated on what to eat to lose weight & it was only the weigh in's that motivated me. I also found that once the 12weeks was over I went back to my old eating habits because there was no weigh in to go to so I lost my motivation.
    I have tried to lose weight at home but I'm really struggling with it! I seem to be just putting weight on every week!
    I really like the sound of the new WW propoints as I LOVE my food & could never cut out treats!
    So would WW help me??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

brightstar wrote: »
    aaahhh I have only 8pp left for the day and all my weeklys gone and all I want to do is eat....HELP!!!

think I might try this, thought I share:)

Griddled smoky chicken with potato salad:
    serves 4 pro points 7
    500g new potatoes halved if large
    200g green beans trimmed
    4 spring onions chopped
    8 cherry tomatoes halved
    2 tablespoons low fat mayo
    4 x 150g chicken breasts
    1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
    low fat cooking spray
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

1, put the potatoes on to boil cook for 10 minutes then add green beans cook for a futher 13 to 15 minutes, drain add tomatoes and spring onios, mayo and season with pepper

2, mean while, place the chicken breasts on a board between to pieces of cling film and flatten with the end of a rolling pin untill 5mm thick remove the top piece of cling film, dust the topside with paprika and season.

3, heat a griddle or non stick frying pan untill hot. spray the dusted side of the chicken with spray oil place that side down on hot pan . cook for 3 to 4 minutes untill browned on underside . top the topside with the remaining paprika and spray with cooking spray. turn the chicken over and cook for 3 to 4 minutes untill golden, repeat with rest of chicken and serve with potato salad on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fionas046

Hi everyone

Well done on all your weight-loss! Have read through most of the threads & find it very motivating!

I've never joined WW before & just wondering if ye would recommend it. I joined the "Biggest Loser Community Weight-loss" classes last year which lasts for 12weeks at a time. I lost 18lbs but have put it all back on again. I just found that I didn't really know what to eat or wasn't educated on what to eat to lose weight & it was only the weigh in's that motivated me. I also found that once the 12weeks was over I went back to my old eating habits because there was no weigh in to go to so I lost my motivation.
    I have tried to lose weight at home but I'm really struggling with it! I seem to be just putting weight on every week!

I really like the sound of the new WW propoints as I LOVE my food & could never cut out treats!
    So would WW help me??

WW will definatly help but only if you're ready!!
    There is absolutly no point in spending a fortune unless your head is in the right place and you're fully prepared to change your eating habits for the better.
    PP is a great system, it allows you to spend your points on exactly what you want and even gives you a few extra to 'splash out' on.
    I've lost 9st with WW but only because I knew I was ready and decided it was time to do this for ME!
    So, as I said earlier, If you're ready, go for it! Best of luck!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Hi everyone

So would WW help me??

I'm a big foodie! and from cork too :) I only been to carrigaline meetings, she's lovely....but not the most inpiring or modern. I'm doing it from home these days cos times didnt suit me, plus its cheaper. I went to meetings for about 18 months on the old system. the new system is fantastic...its alot more scientific, more about over all nutrition then oooh dont eat fats.

the irish ww site is cronic, but there are ALOT of really free articles on the uk site, bout the science and nutrition of it :) the american ww is called points plus...but its the same plan...just they use ounces rather than grams. but there articles would be useful too :)

Mother of god i'm dying....every inch of my body is burning and twiching......and i LOVE it! Rooted out my old work out sheets from last summer when i was working with a trainer...gone back to her very first work out, i'm going to be in AGONY with stiffness later. and thats with her warm ups and cooling down....but that'll pass in a few days :) cant wait to feel the clothes getting looser!

I know last summer i HAD to eat my excercise points when doing weights and toning cos i was losing a tonne of inches but nothing on the scales....not making that mistake this time..going to eat my activty pp! after what i just put my body thru....i wont be eating junk....not doing all this just to eat a biscuit!

I will however have a nice cup of skinny mocha and pass out in the grass and the sun! I've had a good breakie, good lunch, 6 pints of water....so going to ENJOY this cup of coffee.

OOOOOOOH YEAH! I'm BACK!

fionas046 wrote: »
    There is absolutly no point in spending a fortune unless your head is in the right place and you're fully prepared to change your eating habits for the better.
    PP is a great system, it allows you to spend your points on exactly what you want and even gives you a few extra to 'splash out' on.
    I've lost 9st with WW but only because I knew I was ready and decided it was time to do this for ME!

This is so so so so so so true....WW doesnt work for everyone....it only works for those who are ready to do it...ww only works for those who work for it...first few weeks are teedious and annoying....but then it becomes second nature....ww wont tell you what to eat...thats up to your self! then can only give you the tools to make the right choices...

and the ww microwave meals are rubbish...and waste of pp value

fionas046 wrote: »

I feel I'm definitely ready! I'm so sick of my weight going up & down & I finally want to take control of it & lose the weight once & for all. I feel I really need someone to weigh me in & also need all the info from WW.
    I'll let ye know how I get on! :)

I feel I'm definitely ready! I'm so sick of my weight going up & down & I finally want to take control of it & lose the weight once & for all. I feel I really need someone to weigh me in & also need all the info from WW.

i wonder would it worth ringing the WW centre in cork city, wonder would they suggest the "best leader" for you, dont know if its even something they'd do.
    And ask all the questions you can think of! oh and DO buy the electronic calculator....it is invaluable! that cardboard circle thing they give out is kinda rubbish

******BEST OF LUCK*******

• Advertisement

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    I'm a big foodie! and from cork too :) I only been to carrigaline meetings, she's lovely....but not the most inpiring or modern. I'm doing it from home these days cos times didnt suit me, plus its cheaper. I went to meetings for about 18 months on the old system. the new system is fantastic...its alot more scientific, more about over all nutrition then oooh dont eat fats.

the irish ww site is cronic, but there are ALOT of really free articles on the uk site, bout the science and nutrition of it :) the american ww is called points plus...but its the same plan...just they use ounces rather than grams. but there articles would be useful too :)

I think I'll join a class because I really need someone to weigh me!
    I'll let ye know how I get on! Wish me luck! :)

i wonder would it worth ringing the WW centre in cork city, wonder would they suggest the "best leader" for you, dont know if its even something they'd do.
    And ask all the questions you can think of! oh and DO buy the electronic calculator....it is invaluable! that cardboard circle thing they give out is kinda rubbish

******BEST OF LUCK*******

Thanks for the tips. I know the class I'm going to join already because its close by & the time suits me. Plus I hear the leader is really nice & helpful. Would you recommend buying any other products?

Best of luck with it, I can't say its always easy but it's not too hard.

And remember, Nothing tastes as good as feeling slim feels!

ProPoints® Value: 4pp per serving
    Servings: 4
    Preparation Time: 20 min
    Cooking Time: 20 min
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

This delicious salad is simple to make, low in ProPoints values, yet packed with plenty of flavour. Enjoy for lunch or dinner

Ingredients
    400 g Chicken, Breast, Skinless, Raw, cut into chunks
    1 teaspoons (grated) Ginger, Root
    1 medium Lime, Whole, finely grated zest and juice of
    1 tablespoons Soy Sauce
    5 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled
    1/8 teaspoons (ground) Pepper, Black (Whole, Cracked or Ground)
    130 g Watercress, spinach and rocket salad
    1 medium Pepper, Red, deseeded and thinly sliced

Dressing:
    100 ml Amoy Reduced Fat Coconut Milk
    2 tablespoons Sweet Chilli Sauce
    1 tablespoons Coriander, Fresh, plus sprigs to garnish
    1 pinch Salt, and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
    Put the chunks of chicken into a glass or plastic bowl (not metal) and add the ginger, lime zest, lime juice and soy sauce. Toss together, then cover and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.

Heat a char-grill pan or non-stick frying pan. Add the chicken and cook for 8-10 minutes, turning often until thoroughly cooked. Check with a sharp knife, there should be no traces of pink. If there are, cook for a little longer.

Meanwhile, share the salad leaves and red pepper between four serving plates or bowls. Make the dressing by mixing together the coconut milk, chilli sauce and coriander. Season with a little salt and pepper.

Share the cooked chicken between the salads. Serve, drizzled with the dressing, garnished with coriander sprigs.

This is so so so so so so true....WW doesnt work for everyone....it only works for those who are ready to do it...ww only works for those who work for it...first few weeks are teedious and annoying....but then it becomes second nature....ww wont tell you what to eat...thats up to your self! then can only give you the tools to make the right choices...

and the ww microwave meals are rubbish...and waste of pp value

I've heard mixed reviews about the WW meals. Is there any of they're other products that you would recommend?

Thanks for the tips. I know the class I'm going to join already because its close by & the time suits me. Plus I hear the leader is really nice & helpful. Would you recommend buying any other products?

head to argos, the sale is on at the moment and get your self a DIGITAL kitchen scales. invaluable for measuring food, especially things like mayo and sauces where you want the exact 15g

head to argos, the sale is on at the moment and get your self a DIGITAL kitchen scales. invaluable for measuring food, especially things like mayo and sauces where you want the exact 15g

I already have a digital kitchen scales from argos! Its a really good one so I'm pretty much set to start my healthy eating (hate the word diet!!)!!

Any food that I should always have on hand? Can't join WW this week because of work so going to join next week so would like to get organised with my food so I can start straight away once I start WW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

fofany wrote: »
    I have just cut up my butternut squash, arranged the 'chips' on my new chip tray & then found out that it is too big for my oven! I have it in there anyway, at an angle - hope the chips don't all slide off! I'm dying to taste them.

LOL - murphy's law. I'll read on and see how you get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Off to WI...this is going to be hilarious!

I've been good today, well I had a chicken wrap for lunch but I tracked it.

New week starts tomorrow, back in work, back in my routine, exercise starts again :)

Lainy, I loved your post earlier about doing exercise again, really made me smile and determined to get stuck back in :D

Heard this again today, always makes me laugh:

There's a thin person inside me trying to get out...and I wish to god she would so I'd only weigh half as much :p

Simple to make and tasty to eat, most people love a good sarnie. Shop bought or home made, sandwiches can often be higher in ProPoints values than expected though.

With British Sandwich Week coming up (15th – 21st May), we’ve put together some yummy ideas for sarnie-‘spiration that will keep your taste buds and your ProPoints budget satisfied, whatever favourite filling you fancy

Chicken, Avocado and Cheese Tortilla
    ProPoints® Value: 9
    Servings: 2
    Preparation Time: 5 min
    Cooking Time: 5 min

Enjoy a Mexican-style lunch with this quick and easy tortilla recipe. It works well toasted too - Preheat grill and cook for 2–3 minutes or until golden and crisp.

Ingredients
    2 medium Soft Tortilla
    20 g Spinach, baby
    75 g Chicken, Breast, without Skin, Grilled, shredded
    1/2 medium Avocado Pear, diced
    1 medium Tomato, diced
    30 g Cheese, Cheddar, grated

Instructions
    Place tortillas on a flat surface. Top half of each tortilla with spinach, chicken, avocado, tomato and cheese. Fold in half to enclose filling.

Tip: To take this to work, wrap tortilla in plastic wrap. Transport in a chiller bag and refrigerate until required.

Notes
    Liven up your lunches, and experiment with different fillings.

It takes 4–5 days for an avocado to ripen at room temperature. However, you can speed up the process by placing it in a paper bag with a ripe banana.

Spinach, Tomato and Cream Cheese Bagel
    ProPoints® Value: 7
    Servings: 1
    Preparation Time: 5 min
    Cooking Time: 1 min

Bagels are a tasty alternative to sandwiches and can be topped simply with low fat soft cheese for a delicious low ProPoints value lunch

Ingredients
    50 g Spinach, (washed, trimmed)
    1 individual Bagel, Plain, or poppy seed, halved
    30 g Cheese, Soft, Low Fat (less than 5% fat)
    6 individual Tomatoes, Cherry

Instructions
    Wash spinach well in water, then place in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Toss lightly for 30 seconds or until spinach is just wilted.

Toast bagel and spread cut sides with low fat soft cheese. Top each half with the wilted spinach and cherry tomatoes.

Smoky Beef Steak Sandwiches
    ProPoints® Value: 10
    Servings: 4
    Preparation Time: 10 min
    Cooking Time: 5 min
    Level of Difficulty: Moderate

A steak sandwich is a super standby meal for busy days. You can apply the marinade and cook it straight away. It works perfectly on the barbecue too.

Ingredients
    5 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled
    4 medium Mushrooms, stalks removed, halved
    1 teaspoons (level) Mustard, Dijon
    1 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
    2 tablespoons Barbecue Sauce, (smokey)
    2 teaspoons Thyme, Fresh
    1 clove(s) Garlic, crushed
    500 g Beef, Fillet Steak, Lean, Raw
    8 slice(s) (medium) Bread, White, Farmhouse
    200 g Rocket
    1 large Tomato, cut into 8 slices
    1/2 medium Avocado Pear, thinly sliced

Instructions
    Preheat grill over medium-high heat. Lightly spray mushrooms with cooking spray. Cook for 2–3 minutes each side or until tender. Transfer to a plate.

Meanwhile, combine mustard, Worcestershire and barbecue sauces, thyme and garlic in a shallow glass or ceramic bowl. Add steaks and turn to coat.

Reheat grill over medium-high heat. Lightly spray bread with cooking spray. Cook steaks and bread for 1 minute each side or until steak is cooked to your liking and bread is toasted.

Place 4 slices of toast on a flat surface. Top with rocket, steaks, tomato, mushrooms and avocado. Sandwich with the remaining toast. Serve.

Posh Fish Finger Sandwich
    ProPoints® Value: 7
    Cooking Time: 8 min

Yes, you can enjoy this fast food favourite - just make it healthy!

Ingredients
    4 finger (grilled) Fish Finger, Cod, Grilled
    2 tablespoons Yogurt, Greek, 0% Fat
    1 teaspoons Capers, in Brine, chopped
    2 large Pickled Gherkin, finely chopped
    1 teaspoons Chives, Fresh, chopped, or parsley
    2 roll(s) (medium) Bread Roll, Wholemeal
    2 leaf/leaves (small) Lettuce, or mixed salad leaves
    1 portion(s) (medium) Cucumber, (roughly 5cm) halved, deseeded and sliced
    1 pinch Salt, freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
    Preheat the grill. Arrange the fish fingers on the grill rack and cook them for 6-8 minutes, turning once.

Meanwhile, make the tartare sauce by mixing together the yogurt, capers, gherkins and chives or parsley. Split the rolls and spread some of the sauce over the cut surfaces.

Top each roll with salad leaves, cucumber and two fish fingers. Spoon any remaining tartare sauce on top. Season, then serve whilst hot

Egg Salad Sandwich
    ProPoints® Value: 8
    Cooking Time: 0 min

This egg salad cuts the fat content, not the flavour, by using spiced-up, low fat mayonnaise and just two yolks of the four eggs

Ingredients
    4 individual Egg White, hard-boiled and chopped
    2 medium Egg Yolk, hard-boiled and chopped
    2 1/2 tablespoons Mayonnaise, Low Fat
    1/8 teaspoons Salt, or to taste
    1/8 teaspoons (ground) Pepper, Black (Whole, Cracked or Ground)
    1 1/2 tablespoons Dill, Fresh, chopped
    1 teaspoons (level) Mustard, Dijon
    1/3 small Onion, All Types, red, finely chopped (optional)
    4 slice(s) (large) Bread, Pumpernickel, bread
    4 leaf/leaves (small) Lettuce

Instructions
    In a bowl, combine egg whites and yolks, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, parsley, mustard and onion.

Divide salad between 2 slices of bread, top each with two lettuce leaves and cover each with second slice of bread.

• Advertisement

misslt wrote: »
    Off to WI...this is going to be hilarious!

I've been good today, well I had a chicken wrap for lunch but I tracked it.

New week starts tomorrow, back in work, back in my routine, exercise starts again :)

Lainy, I loved your post earlier about doing exercise again, really made me smile and determined to get stuck back in :D

Heard this again today, always makes me laugh:

There's a thin person inside me trying to get out...and I wish to god she would so I'd only weigh half as much :p

I'm like buzzing with energy now :P bizzare! Got a communion to go to saturday! but have 5 mile walk with guide dogs on sunday to balance it out..

Good luck! at least your willing to laugh about it! Life goes on....weight comes off!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭aspie mum

Agree with earlier posts most of the ready meals are crap just threw one in the bin after a couple of mouthfuls

But I do find their naam breads (garlic and corrinder)3pp are lovely and also like there blueberry muffins4pp...and the grated chesse 1pp and sausages 1pp also the only thing I think I will ever buy from the freezer again is the belgain eclairs 2pp..... I dont buy the yougurts as the diet irish yogurts 1pp are the yummiest but i do sometimes buy the vanilla cream rice3pp I dont like the carmel one..i have the part baked bread but have not tried them yet Dunnes are the best for the range dont buy the ww rashers though as the Aldi bacon meadalions are cheaper and you get2 for the 1pp.

If you are buying a scales for the kitchen I would recomended the WW if you can afford it as its very pricey 50yo yo's i dont have one but have used my mums and you get a rude awaking as to the points you are using but the best product they do is the calculator really essential

Good luck Rugby chic 26

Any food that I should always have on hand? Can't join WW this week because of work so going to join next week so would like to get organised with my food so I can start straight away once I start WW!

I think the ww frozen meals are lovely, but I only ever cook them in the oven. I have tried them from the microwave and agree they're awful!
    I had the ww part baked bread rolls today and have to say I was quite impressed although I'd say they're only nice straight from the oven.
    Last but certainly not least I couldn't recommend the stickey toffee pud dessert highly enough! It's fab-u-lous!!! And only 4pp yum! :D

aspie mum wrote: »
    Agree with earlier posts most of the ready meals are crap just threw one in the bin after a couple of mouthfuls

But I do find their naam breads (garlic and corrinder)3pp are lovely and also like there blueberry muffins4pp...and the grated chesse 1pp and sausages 1pp also the only thing I think I will ever buy from the freezer again is the belgain eclairs 2pp..... I dont buy the yougurts as the diet irish yogurts 1pp are the yummiest but i do sometimes buy the vanilla cream rice3pp I dont like the carmel one..i have the part baked bread but have not tried them yet Dunnes are the best for the range dont buy the ww rashers though as the Aldi bacon meadalions are cheaper and you get2 for the 1pp.

If you are buying a scales for the kitchen I would recomended the WW if you can afford it as its very pricey 50yo yo's i dont have one but have used my mums and you get a rude awaking as to the points you are using but the best product they do is the calculator really essential

Good luck Rugby chic 26

Thanks for all your tips aspie mum! I've tried some of the WW food already. I find the bagels great & your right, the naan bread is lovely. I'll definitely buy the calculator. The WW kitchen scales is a bit on the expensive side so I'll be using my own for the time being!
    I'm really motivated now by everyone's messages!!;)

kashmir wrote: »
    LOL - murphy's law. I'll read on and see how you get on....

Really enjoyed the butternut squash chips. I also roasted some pepper, red onion & baby tomatoes in a separate tin at the same time & a piece of Donegal Catch breaded haddock. Stuffed for 7pp. I'll definitely be making them again - I still have 3/4 of a squash chopped up & ready to go in my fridge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

Hope everybody is having a good week!

MUNCHIES! I actually have been attacked by them! Was working late and had lunch at 12 and just had my dins there - had nothing organised for dins and was about to drop with the hunger. Got a WW crispy chilli veggie pizza, put my own fresh veg on it and oh my devoured the lot! It was 11p in value but now like literally 20 mins after it Im still Hungry :( Waste of money and points :( Only have 4 pp left for the day and WI tomor :(

Fingers crossed Im down! Hada good-ish week.

fofany wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the butternut squash chips. I also roasted some pepper, red onion & baby tomatoes in a separate tin at the same time & a piece of Donegal Catch breaded haddock. Stuffed for 7pp. I'll definitely be making them again - I still have 3/4 of a squash chopped up & ready to go in my fridge!

Sounds lovely fofany, I should of done the same this eve, just was starving so went for convience at its best - still hungry tho - damn WW products. Thats a great meal for only 7pp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I already have a digital kitchen scales from argos! Its a really good one so I'm pretty much set to start my healthy eating (hate the word diet!!)!!

Welcome to the thread. It really is GREAT for motivation, tips, recipes and if you just want to have a rant about your bad day.

Things that are WW that I would recommend are:

WW Blueberry muffins
    WW sausages (gorgeous and only 1PP, I think they taste like superquinn sausages)
    WW Bagels
    WW Naan
    WW Pepperoni pizza (yummy with a salad for a night you don't feel like cooking)

Non WW food I always have in the cupboard:

Lots of spices (to jazz meals up)
    Low cal spray oil
    Passata
    Stock cubes
    Curly wurlys
    Snax/small manhattan popcorn/velvet crunch/skips (all 2PP)
    Pataks Balti or Tikka paste (great for currys)

And then always have plenty of fruit and veg. Fruit is a lifesaver at 0PP.

Good luck on your weightloss journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

boxoff wrote: »
    Hope everybody is having a good week!

MUNCHIES! I actually have been attacked by them! Was working late and had lunch at 12 and just had my dins there - had nothing organised for dins and was about to drop with the hunger. Got a WW crispy chilli veggie pizza, put my own fresh veg on it and oh my devoured the lot! It was 11p in value but now like literally 20 mins after it Im still Hungry :( Waste of money and points :( Only have 4 pp left for the day and WI tomor :(

Fingers crossed Im down! Hada good-ish week.

I love butternut squash, its lovely added to a roast dinner or any one actally, I just cut it in to chunks use some spray oil let it cook for 40 minutes I love it when its really well done yummy

• Advertisement

brightstar wrote: »
    aaahhh I have only 8pp left for the day and all my weeklys gone and all I want to do is eat....HELP!!!

Makes two of us! am planning to have a toffee ww bar and a pack of velvet crunch after tomors WI! Ive 4 pp for the day left so might have just a bit of of fruit or something later, hate when munchies attack! A good snack is a pack of WW crackers with one laughing cow light triangle (2pp for the crackers and cheese) and there 4 crackers in one pack!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement