Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

Ok I may be kicked off this forum for even saying this but I am having the biggest craving for a pot noodle for some reason ever since i started ww in jan. I know i pp one once and nearly had to be picked up off the floor in the supermarket. If i remember right it was at least 2/3 if not more of my total daily allowance. Does anyone know a better alternative? Does it exist? Anyone know Koka noodle value? They dont have nutritional info on packet. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Eabhabear wrote: »
    Hi, I switched back to the old points as propoints wasn't working for me, it was more like a maintenance plan. I still have about 2 stone to lose so switched back because I lost 20lbs on the old plan. I feel much better since the switch. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :)

I may go back to the old points too. Been threatening it with a while but think Im gonna start after wi tomorrow if Im not down. Although could be a false reading as I have totm. Anyone else find this affects their weight? So I may have some questions. Found the old book though.:D

On another note, anyone tried that cho yung tea thing?? Friend gave me 7 tea bags today so gonna start one tomorrow, see what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

I had another terrible weekend this weekend....its like its becomming a pattern.....my WI is on a tuesday so im realy good tues wed thurs but by fri afternoon its slipping and then gone completly out the window by sat (tho i stil manage to drag myself spinning on a sat morn if im not working) and then come monday morning its a case of oh crap my WI is 2morrow i better be super good today by eating really little!!! Its really annoying that im just undoing al the good iv done at the start of the week at the weekend!!!

This week i swear im gona try really really really hard to stick to it al week!!! Im about 2lb away from breaking into the 10s- the point where i gave up last time and a number i havnt seen on the scales since i was about 14(24now) this week my tracker is goin to be filled everyday....and properly too!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Cadyboo wrote: »
    I may go back to the old points too. Been threatening it with a while but think Im gonna start after wi tomorrow if Im not down. Although could be a false reading as I have totm. Anyone else find this affects their weight? So I may have some questions. Found the old book though.:D

On another note, anyone tried that cho yung tea thing?? Friend gave me 7 tea bags today so gonna start one tomorrow, see what all the fuss is about.

What is that tea? I've not heard of it, its not like the pureh tea is it?

Just reading over the last few pages and it seems the majority of us have our totm!

Anyway, to the poster who asked if we notice any difference with weight,I have to say I haven't really,and that surprises me, but I think this time I'm trying to not let my totm control my eating,if that makes any sense?

I was flicking through my note book just now, just where I scribble mini goals etc and I'm after making a list of how I have improved since joining ww, its actually a good idea, shows how far we've come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Cadyboo wrote: »
    I may go back to the old points too. Been threatening it with a while but think Im gonna start after wi tomorrow if Im not down. Although could be a false reading as I have totm. Anyone else find this affects their weight?

I never actually take notice of the scales when I have totm, like if it is a worse loss or what not. But I definitely crave fatty foods and chocolate (and i'm not a big choc eater) when I have it and don't feel like exercising at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SAexpat

Monife wrote: »
    I never actually take notice of the scales when I have totm, like if it is a worse loss or what not. But I definitely crave fatty foods and chocolate (and i'm not a big choc eater) when I have it and don't feel like exercising at all!!

I think totm affects my weight too.... I have noticed it even when I am not on ww and therefore not that weight aware! I think it is because your body retains water and you bloat a bit - part of PMS! I definitely crave chocolate and sometimes something salty as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

Hey all,

I got my Zumba for the Wii in the post yesterday and did my first 20 minute beginner workout last night as I couldn't get out walking because of the rain.
    Such a laugh!
    I am USELESS at keeping up with the steps & was laughing away to myself as the lady on the screen kept telling me "Well done! You've got it!" but I sweated a good bit and felt good afterwards so I guess that's all that matters - I'm sure I'll pick up the steps eventually, ha ha!

WI tomorrow eve. Missed last week as I was just SO bold the previous week and am a little nervous about tomorrow. I've been pretty good for over a week so will be gutted if I'm up, but we shall see ....

I wish I could WI on saturday morn but there's no class in Sligo at the weekend.
    :(

dammitj wrote: »
    Hey all,

I got my Zumba for the Wii in the post yesterday and did my first 20 minute beginner workout last night as I couldn't get out walking because of the rain.
    Such a laugh!
    I am USELESS at keeping up with the steps & was laughing away to myself as the lady on the screen kept telling me "Well done! You've got it!" but I sweated a good bit and felt good afterwards so I guess that's all that matters - I'm sure I'll pick up the steps eventually, ha ha!

WI tomorrow eve. Missed last week as I was just SO bold the previous week and am a little nervous about tomorrow. I've been pretty good for over a week so will be gutted if I'm up, but we shall see ....

I wish I could WI on saturday morn but there's no class in Sligo at the weekend.
    :(
    I don't think there are classes anywhere in Ireland at the weekend unfortunately. Yeah the zumba really makes you sweat, its great. I've a friend who teaches it and she reckons you burn about 500 calories in the hour class!

m'lady wrote: »
    I don't think there are classes anywhere in Ireland at the weekend unfortunately. Yeah the zumba really makes you sweat, its great. I've a friend who teaches it and she reckons you burn about 500 calories in the hour class!

Wow! Hopefully I'll get up to an hour EVENTUALLY!

It's such a pity there are no weekend classes, I tend to treat myself a little bit after my WI on wednesday nights and if my WI was saturday I could just be bold one day a week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bobbles87

Right, you guys have helped me make up my mind and I am starting Zumba tomorrow evening!!Looking forward to it now, sounds like great fun, probably wont feel the hour going. Might not be able to walk on Thurs after it!!!!:L No pain no loss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

bobbles87 wrote: »
    Right, you guys have helped me make up my mind and I am starting Zumba tomorrow evening!!Looking forward to it now, sounds like great fun, probably wont feel the hour going. Might not be able to walk on Thurs after it!!!!:L No pain no loss :)

Ditto! I've been inspired to enquire about classes and found out there's one near me on Wednesday evening. Can't go tomorrow but am going to go next week.

I'm a bit worried though, I'm not fit at ALL! Will I be dead by the end of the class?? :o

Feeling apprehensive about my WI tonight. Was away for the weekend and ate really well, but drank well over my weeklies. Gah, stupid wine. It's just because I was out for dinner two nights! Usually I stick to vodka but as soon as I get a sniff of wine I turn into a wino :D The last few weekends I've had two nights out in a row but this weekend I've just got a party on Saturday night. Going to stick to vodka and sugar free cordial and try and stay well away from the nibblies.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Just back from WI. Another 1lb gone. Delighted with my progress. That's 21lbs since start of Jan.

Good luck to everyone with WIs today.

fofany wrote: »
    Just back from WI. Another 1lb gone. Delighted with my progress. That's 21lbs since start of Jan.

Good luck to everyone with WIs today.

Wow that's amazing!
    I've only lost 9.5lbs since the start of Jan but I guess the weight loss does slow down.
    It's frustrating though!

Will see how I get on tomorrow ...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Garden_Gurl

Just reading over the last few pages and it seems the majority of us have our totm!

Anyway, to the poster who asked if we notice any difference with weight,I have to say I haven't really,and that surprises me, but I think this time I'm trying to not let my totm control my eating,if that makes any sense?

I was flicking through my note book just now, just where I scribble mini goals etc and I'm after making a list of how I have improved since joining ww, its actually a good idea, shows how far we've come.

I'm due my TOTM today / tomorrow but I find I actually do better on the scales when I have them!! Madness!!

I heard once that if you live with someone that your cycles begin to be around the same time - maybe that's what happening here :rolleyes:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Every woman’s lifestyle, health and weight loss needs changes throughout her life.

We take a look at some common weight loss obstacles you may experience at different stages of life and the tools you may find useful to help overcome them.

In Your 20s
    This can be a busy time in your life, as you strive to fit everything into your day. Does having a busy social life, drinking a bit more than you should and not getting enough sleep sound familiar? All whilst trying to keep your weight loss on track.

This kind of lifestyle can leave you feeling tired and you may have little time for cooking or planning your

meals. If you’re often dining out or eating on the go, download the Weight Watchers iPhone app so you can easily track everything you eat when you’re out and about. Or if you’re relatively new to cooking, try browsing the Food Prep Videos for tips and tricks to help your cooking and your weight loss.

Being fit and healthy in your 20s unfortunately doesn’t mean you can neglect your health and not take care of your body. You are still building up your bone mass for example, so it’s important to ensure you’re getting enough of nutrients for bone health such as calcium and vitamin D, and also keep physically active.

In Your 30s
    As you enter your 30s, you may be juggling a young family and work, or focusing on your career. With so much going on, it’s important to find time for yourself. Find time to get active – whether it’s joining a class, doing a workout at home or spending time playing with the kids. And remember to track any activity ProPoints values you earn in the Activity Tracker
    Your busy lifestyle and possibly young kids means you’ll want to cook nutritious meals which suit the whole family and fit with your weight loss plan. Browse for recipes in Find & Explore - or why not try the Recipe Swap in the the Community for meal ideas or to share your own family friendly recipes?
    You may also find support for your busy lifestyle on the Message Boards where you can chat to other members – try the ‘Mum’s the Word’ forum.

In Your 40s
    This is likely to be a busy time of life and you may find you have little time for anything else besides the demands of a family and your career.

If you have a growing family, perhaps you are preparing various meals at different times to fit in with everyone’s daily lives.
    Or you're busy with your career and social life and are struggling to find time to cook meals. Why not cook larger portions and freeze leftovers, so you can save time and always have a ProPoints value friendly meals to hand. For ideas and inspiration, check out Recipes in Find and Explore for tasty dishes in minutes.

Try and make time to get active too. Ask a friend to join you in trying a new activity; it could also be a great way to meet new friends. The Activity Tracker is a great tool to help you keep track of your activity achievements.

In Your 50s
    You may find you have more time for yourself at this stage of your life. Now may be the time to really focus on yourself again and get your weight loss goals on track, especially if you’re not cooking for a family anymore. It’s important to still eat healthy and balanced meals, especially if your body is going through the menopause.

During this time, your body is likely to be going through certain changes, including increases in body fat. Boosting activity levels may be an especially effective approach during this time, as studies in post-menopausal women show that physical activity can help prevent weight gain and retain the very important muscle mass 1. Navigate to Workout Ideas and Demos for step-by-step activity inspiration.

For additional support, you could visit the Menopause Matters section of the Message Boards to share experiences with others who are at a similar stage in their lives.

In Your 60s
    You may be taking life at a slower pace; working towards your retirement, or perhaps you are already retired and spending time with grandchildren.

Good nutrition at this time is still important for looking after health and well-being, so you can get the most out of your retirement.

Also, as we get older, our bodies need fewer calories than we did when we were younger, so it may be necessary to slightly adjust the amount of food we eat to maintain our weight. Following the Good Health Guidelines will ensure nutrient-rich foods are still part of our eating plan.

It’s also important to stay active in your 60s. Taking regular walks, doing some gardening or running around after grandchildren can all count towards your daily activity. Remember, although your body needs fewer calories than it used to, weight loss is still highly achievable – especially with on-going support. For additional motivation, take a look at some Success Stories including older members who have lost weight with Weight Watchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭kty

Back to WW tonight, i am actually looking forward to getting back into it, but not the WI, that will be depressing! Am determined to stick it out this time until i reach goal and maintain!:)

I've just took out the most amazing muffins from the oven :D
    made big muffiins and also mini ones with queen cake cases :D
    finally got it right, tweaking this, tweaking that, :D

THE PERFECT BANANA BRAN MUFFIN
    SERVES 6

130g Self Rising Flour
    100ml Skimmed Milk
    60g Light Brown Sugar
    30g Bran Wheat
    1 medium egg
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoons baking powder
    3 1/2 rougly mashed bananas
    dash of cinnemon

Soak Bran in milk for few mins.

beat egg & sugar in a different bowl, then add this to the bran + milk

Mash the bananas with a folk, nice and lumpy + dash of cinnamon

Sift Baking powder + baking soda and flour in a big bowl

Add the Bran mixture to the flours and mix gently, add the mashed banana and mix gently.

Gentle mixing is the key! THESE ARE HUGE!

This mixture will make 12 mini muffins for 2pp each, or 6 regular muffins for 4pp each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

I'm due my TOTM today / tomorrow but I find I actually do better on the scales when I have them!! Madness!!

I heard once that if you live with someone that your cycles begin to be around the same time - maybe that's what happening here :rolleyes:!!

You lucky thing I'm the opposite and bang on cue up 1.5lbs :mad: I've never loss on TOTM. Gonna work extra hard to make up for this week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Going to stick to vodka and sugar free cordial and try and stay well away from the nibblies.

Do they have sugar free dilute in pubs? Whenever and wherever I ask, they don't :( Does anyone know the PP in non-sugarfree dilute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Went to my WI this morn thaught i might be able to squeeze it in b4 work @10 but i got there early, or wot i tought was early only to find a huge queue so had to leave again:( wont be able to make the evening class either because iv spinning tonigh and there on on different sides of cork :( just gona have to skip it this week but im not goin to let it quash my determination for this week!!! Onwards and downwards!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

What is that tea? I've not heard of it, its not like the pureh tea is it?

Yes It's a weight loss tea. Very expensive, 50e for 30 bags. Can have one or two a day. And with gentle exercise, looking after your food you lose weight. Had one this morning as it is meant to be good for bloating and cramps. Doesn't really taste much. But if it helps me lose a bit more each week, I'll buy the bag.
    I was up 3/4 of a pound :mad::( so I hope it was totm.

Bought my own ww scales today. Finding it very hard to get to meetings lately, and am fleeced from paying for parking and the classes and most of the time I don't even have time to stay for classes so I'm only paying to be weighed. So as someone said( think it was Lady Lainy,) this is going to be my class from now on. Thanks girls.x
    Also going back to old points this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Do they have sugar free dilute in pubs? Whenever and wherever I ask, they don't :( Does anyone know the PP in non-sugarfree dilute?

I'm actually going to a house party so I'll bring my own. I wish they did it in pubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dubgirlww

i have mine too..started yesterday!! haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SkinnyDoll

For anyone comtemplating one .. or if someone is going to give you one... or you're surrounded by kids and husbands eating them.. I've propointed a few Easter eggs... my local stores are ceiling high with them.. no escape! :rolleyes:

http://theskinnydollsjourney.blogspot.com/2011/04/pppotd-easter.html

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dubgirlww

i just cant stop eating!! need some one to slap me a few times, any offers?

if i open a packet of anything i just cant put it down till its gone!! except like a bag of apples or oranges!!

i dont get a stuffed feeling at all lately!!

i was up 3 last week and so afraid if im up again this week.....they will ahnd me my gold card and then take it back off me :( i feel like i have developed a fear of the gym and have no reason whatsoever as i was loving it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rachelryan29

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    I've just took out the most amazing muffins from the oven :D
    made big muffiins and also mini ones with queen cake cases :D
    finally got it right, tweaking this, tweaking that, :D

THE PERFECT BANANA BRAN MUFFIN
    SERVES 6

130g Self Rising Flour
    100ml Skimmed Milk
    60g Light Brown Sugar
    30g Bran Wheat
    1 medium egg
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoons baking powder
    3 1/2 rougly mashed bananas
    dash of cinnemon

Soak Bran in milk for few mins.

beat egg & sugar in a different bowl, then add this to the bran + milk

Mash the bananas with a folk, nice and lumpy + dash of cinnamon

Sift Baking powder + baking soda and flour in a big bowl

Add the Bran mixture to the flours and mix gently, add the mashed banana and mix gently.

Gentle mixing is the key! THESE ARE HUGE!

This mixture will make 12 mini muffins for 2pp each, or 6 regular muffins for 4pp each.

Hey all

I make the bran muffins too.

Following the original recipe but instead of mixed fruit I use half a tub of blueberries and one cooking apple chopped into very small bits, a tsp of cinnamon, and 50 g of non fat natural yogurt.

I only use 40g of light brown sugar and 10g of sweetener.

I get 11 muffins ( in lidl's red silicone muffin cases) and these work out at 2pp and are huge and so yummy!

Just another idea to enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Dubgirlww wrote: »
    i have mine too..started yesterday!! haha!!

Jaysus we all have it atm :D Hope everyone's WI isn't affected by it!!

Got a piece of advice at my meeting today for anyone that needs a kick start. Look back at your old trackers and find a week where you had a big loss and follow the meal plans and exercise and see if you can't recreate that loss :) I'm gonna give that a try this week. Had a massive self-pity TOTM food binge today so need to clear out my system!!

Good luck to anyone WI tonight!!

Dubgirlww wrote: »
    i just cant stop eating!! need some one to slap me a few times, any offers?

if i open a packet of anything i just cant put it down till its gone!! except like a bag of apples or oranges!!

i dont get a stuffed feeling at all lately!!

i was up 3 last week and so afraid if im up again this week.....they will ahnd me my gold card and then take it back off me :( i feel like i have developed a fear of the gym and have no reason whatsoever as i was loving it!!

I found that too....i just wasn't "satisfied" any more....so I've started mixing it up, trying new things.... I think when we get "used" to something it doesn't really satisfy us any-more

• Advertisement

Finding alot of interesting handy articles and tips on ww site today...actually had the day off today :O didnt know what to do with my self...so used to running around like a headless chicken last few months

Portion Sizes Outside of the Home

When Eating Out, Keep in Mind That:
    Sometimes just being in a restaurant or at someone else's home can promote a 'special occasion' feeling that makes it tough to stick to healthy portions.
    When dining out with a group, it might feel like everyone else is eating whatever they want, and you don't want to feel left out.

Over time restaurant portion sizes have expanded immensely – often to two or three times what they should be. Combined with a 'clean-your-plate' mentality, this can spell trouble.

Strategies
    Read our practical tips for making it through the meal:

One of the best set of tools to use when dining outside of the home is your hands. Here's how it works:

The fist is equal to one medium fruit or one measured cup

The thumb (whole thumb, from tip to base) is equal to one ounce of meat or cheese

The thumb from the tip to the first joint is about 1 tablespoon

The index finger from the tip to the first joint is about a teaspoon

The index finger between the first and second joints is about an inch

The palm minus the fingers is a 3 ounce portion of cooked meat

Another strategy for large restaurant portions is to divide the food served to you in half. Don't be afraid to ask your server/waitress to wrap up the other half to take home. Doing this helps you avoid the temptation of eating too much just because it's there.

Consider ordering from the kids' menu or the starters menu where portions are almost always smaller. Also, restaurants will often make half portions or lunch-sized portions at dinner time, if asked.

Having a visual idea of correct portion sizes in mind is key when dining out. Take a look at the recommended serving sizes and their real life object comparisons

My own thoughts: I know everyone's thumb and palm is different...but its just meant to be a guide as to what portion SUITS YOUR BODY....a bigger man has bigger hands....so he'd need more nutrition than a smaller woman with smaller hands...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement