Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

m'lady wrote: »
    I'm really confused too,my leader said 12 for two slices, I'm really sorry to everyone for posting it, I genuinely believed her, I really did not mean to scare everyone, I posted it in good faith! I'll be questioning my leader next Wednesday.

Ah don't worry about it m'lady.
    There seems to be huge variations between different brands of different products.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have said before most breads are roughly the same values per 100g, there is no getting around this, WW brand just use thin tiny slices so they appear low, just like a wispa is the same calories/points per 100g as dairy milk -they just use smaller portions.

So the easy way is to point your bread per 100g, I think a digital scales is essential, I recommend salter brand ones and there are loads in argos.

All these WW guides with chinese & other takeaway foods should state the points per 100g too, it would be far easier to work with as portions, just like bread slice weights can vary dramatically.

A standard batch loaf is 800g, this is the same weight as a standard sliced pan, but the standard sliced pan is full of air (like the wispas or aeros), while batch is very dense and doughy. The complete opposite is ryvitas which again have about the same calories/points but are extremely light.

Brennans batch
    http://www.brennansbread.ie/products/brennans-traditional-batch/

Nutritional Information (per 100g)
    Energy KJ 924
    Energy kcal 217
    Protein 8.3
    Carbohydrates 45.7
    Sugar 0.09
    Fat 1.4
    Saturated Fat 0.87
    Fibre 2.2
    Sodium 0.47
    Salt 1.19

Nutritional Information (per slice)
    Energy KJ 568
    Energy kcal 133
    Protein 5.1
    Carbohydrates 28.12
    Sugar 0.05
    Fat 0.86
    Saturated Fat 0.53
    Fibre 1.35
    Sodium 0.28
    Salt 0.71

So a slice is 61grams

One type of WW bread
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Bread/Weight_Watchers_Sliced_White_Danish_Bread_400g.html

238kCal per 100g (so MORE than the batch) but slices are only 20.6g

Ryvitas are only about 10g each, they have more kcals per 100g as they are almost bone dry so have no water in them making them weigh more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭pw01

hi, was thinking of getting a chinese tonight.Can anyone tell me how many pro points is in chicken chow mein???

i also heard in a meeting that you can get this dry fried in some chineses - does this work out lower in pro points?? i must see if my chinese does it this way if it is!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

pw01 wrote: »
    hi, was thinking of getting a chinese tonight.Can anyone tell me how many pro points is in chicken chow mein???

i also heard in a meeting that you can get this dry fried in some chineses - does this work out lower in pro points?? i must see if my chinese does it this way if it is!

thanks

Special Chow Mein is 9pp so I'd say about the same for chicken?
    I always have it dry but I don't point it any differently!
    Still trying to find out about the singapore chow mein as it's my fav!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CFitz1810

aspie mum wrote: »
    Just back and down 2 lb's again this week that's 16 since i started on Jan 4th...I am really lovin Pro points as on the old plan I only lost 12.5 pounds in 3/4 months still it's 28.5 in total can really feel the difference but need to lose another 4 stone 3.5lbs to get to goal of 10'10 for my 5'5 frame but this time I really feel its acheivable (hope I dont eat my words or everything else ) I really find the free fruit is helping ......just have a HB orange split at 2PP nom nom:D

HI, I've been doing the programme since 3rd Jan and am only down 4.5 lbs. I know I'm down but am disappointed it's not more, any suggestions on how to improve? I track and keep within my points.... Any suggestions would help, thanks to you all, I read the thread every day and it keeps me motivated

• Advertisement

dammitj wrote: »
    I always have it dry but I don't point it any differently!
    Still trying to find out about the singapore chow mein as it's my fav!!

thats great thanks, its low points for a treat at the weekend and still doesnt eat into my weekly pro point!!
    i will defo be asking for it dried though!!! thanks again!

If it is not on the menu just ask for it. Mine does it and also does singapore chow mein which has no real sauce, just spices.
    This is from those lists, which I keep going on about being ridiculously low portions. These guides should show points per 100g, as you have no idea of portion sizes. If I got a 9point chow mein I would demand my money back!

Just look on mysupermarket or tesco.ie and find a chow mein and use its values.

Ken Hom chow mein from tesco's site.
    100g contains Each pack (450g) contains
    Energy 470kJ (115kcal) 2100kJ (500kcal)
    Protein 9.1g 41.1g
    Carbohydrate 12.2g 55.1g
    Sugars 0.9g 4.2g
    Fat 2.8g 12.6g
    Saturates 0.5g 2.3g
    Mono Unsaturates 1.1g 5.0g
    Polyunsaturates 1.1g 4.8g
    Fibre 1.7g 7.5g
    Sodium* 0.3g 1.3g
    *Salt Equivalent 0.7g 3.3g

These are old points below
    rubadub wrote: »
    I got a singapore chow mein last week, weighed 800g.
    Using this calculator http://points.ogo.ms/
    I hit 5.5 points at 370kcal presuming zero fat (and it was fairly greasy)
    That means if this was true then it was 46.25kcal per 100g. I would estimate it at 250kcal per 100g though, this is comparing it to supermaret ready meals and the fact that the noodles are much denser, i.e. not boiled to death where they take up lots of water. A single pack of 80-100g dry supernoodles can be 550-600kcal. I would also conservatively estimate 5% fat since it was fried noodles & meat and quite oily, so 40g of fat, and 20g goes in my calculator. So using the same calculator I would estimate 33.5points. I ate this in 2 settings. As I keep saying the portions are massive, so do not go fooling yourself. I know a girl who does order this from the same place as she thinks it is the "best choice" because WW say so. There are far better options to chose, much smaller portions, or just split it.
    I would expect a normal chow mein to be 900g with the sauce, so twice the size of the Ken Hom one.

So using this
    http://www.wijvallenaf.nl/Weight-Watchers/ProPoints-Calculator.html
    it is 3points per 100g, and a 900g regular chow mein would be 26 points (enter the correct value, do not multiply 3x9). However this is conservative since the takeaways usually use more oil and the noodles are denser. Since the sauce is mainly water it does not have as much calories as the noodles, so even if it was a dry 800g chow mein it would not be much lower.

Your local Chinese might have smaller portions, my 4 local ones that I use are all about the same -namely loads, it is rare that I can finish one and i'm a 14stone hungry animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shanasue

CFitz1810 wrote: »
    HI, I've been doing the programme since 3rd Jan and am only down 4.5 lbs. I know I'm down but am disappointed it's not more, any suggestions on how to improve? I track and keep within my points.... Any suggestions would help, thanks to you all, I read the thread every day and it keeps me motivated

Hi Cfitz, I'm the pretty much the same only down 4lbs since 12th Jan, but i really feel its a much healthier way to loose weight, I'm eating loads and keeping within my points. Do you manage to eat all your points? are you spacing out your meals? making sure you have breakfast and that it includes some protien? also not letting yourself go for more that 4 hours without food? even a snack, apple maybe. The rule of thumb is 80% diet 20% exercise, dont know what your exercis routing is but it definately helps me, even though the pounds are slow in coming off the inches definately are. If it is difficult to get to a gym or out walking I would recommend exercise dvd's, even half an hour of doing more than you usually do will definately help...30 mins the length of a friends episode!
    I have struggled with eating all my points lately because I have upped my exercise, and just dont feel very hungry sometimes ( first for me!!) but planning and tracking really help..
    try not to give up you have lost 4.5lbs which is great and its gone FOREVER!! well done:)
    hope this helps...oh and gallons of Water!!:D

Hi cfitz,
    You don't say much about your eating or exercise habits.
    Do you eat all or most of your points every day? You need to be eating the 29pp per day, and at least this if you have a higher allowance. Allow yourself a few more if your exercising a lot and drink plenty of water.

Do you have much to loose.

I know they don't seem like great suggestions, but there's no secret trick to WW.
    Well if there is, I haven't been told it!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

re chow mein..

it's supposed to be 9pp as per the book guidelines, but how big/small of a portion that is??

I know chowmein should be a bit less that other dishes, just coz in one tray you get ur meat/veg and the noodles, whereas other dishes you get ur tray with meat/veg & sauce and another tray with rice or noodles, so defo the amount you get in a chow mein should be smaller,, still, i don't believe that a normal tray of chow mein from my take away will be only 9pp.. maybe that'd be for half of it??

On another note, my dog catched the little pocket guide, the one that contains the propoints for all foods, and it savaged it!!! Do you think my leader will give me another one? not sure as this comes with the welcome pack with the folder and all that.. i just need the pocket guide back.. lost without it!!

• Advertisement

amira wrote: »
    re chow mein..

it's supposed to be 9pp as per the book guidelines, but how big/small of a portion that is??

I know chowmein should be a bit less that other dishes, just coz in one tray you get ur meat/veg and the noodles, whereas other dishes you get ur tray with meat/veg & sauce and another tray with rice or noodles, so defo the amount you get in a chow mein should be smaller,, still, i don't believe that a normal tray of chow mein from my take away will be only 9pp.. maybe that'd be for half of it??

On another note, my dog catched the little pocket guide, the one that contains the propoints for all foods, and it savaged it!!! Do you think my leader will give me another one? not sure as this comes with the welcome pack with the folder and all that.. i just need the pocket guide back.. lost without it!!

Totally put off my chinese now, knew 9pp was to good to be true.

i'm sure she will give you another pocket guide if you explain - id be lost without mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

Rubadub thanks for the post & I agree completely with what you've posted re portion size.

I'm using the going out guide as a guide not as gospel because no 2 chefs are the same & one may use more oil, dairy, carb etc than the other. I personally think 9pp is far far to low for any Chinese take away meal if you look at any prebought ready meal or even the M&S fuller for longer ( which are geared towards low carb high protein lower fat) range they all come in at 10-18 pp depending on what you go for.

I personally am staying away from take sways as much as possible if I'm eating out I'm very conscious of my portion size & I watch what I eat, if I were you who does want a takeaway I would tend to point higher like rubadub has pointed out, weigh the portion before you eat it & judge for yourself but it's better to point as accurately as possible then be in a false sense of security with a false low pp take away. Just my 2 cents

Hi Kildareash & Shanasue, thanks for your replies.

I try to eat all of my points but I always seem to have extra points at the end of the day that I don't use. I don't want to use them for the sake of using them.

I normally have natural yogurt and fruit for breakfast which is only 2 PP, for lunch I have a WW wrap with 1 slice of ham and 20g of low low cheese with extra light mayo and lettuce totally 7PP. Dinner I noramlly have a WW dinner with loads of veg, last nights dinner was 8PP, snack was 2 yogurts and velvet crunch, total points for day was 21PP. Should I be eating more?

I've started exercising this week. We got a tread mill which feels great. Have only had a chance to go on it twice this week. Do you exercise everyday?

We normally have a chinese take away most weekends and I try to go for the lower points option. I'll try the Chow Mein dishes as they seem to be lower on points. What I'll do is put the plate on the scale and them weigh the food so I know the weigh of the food. I allocate the 49 PPs to the chinese.

Not sure where I'm going wrong.

Thanks to this thread it keeps me motivated.

Kay_80 wrote: »
    weigh the portion before you eat it & judge for yourself but it's better to point as accurately as possible then be in a false sense of security with a false low pp take away.
    This is essential, I can only guess they are getting chow meins in small trays and loosely packed, then I could imagine it being only 9.

Salter are a good brand of scales, this one is on offer in argos for only €8.32, you can book one online in your local store, they send a text message to your phone with a code and set it aside for a day or 2.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8426435/c_1/1|category_root|Kitchen+and+laundry|14418476/Trail/searchtext%3ESALTER.htm

You can always get the chow mein and set aside half for the next day. I was saying my local would be about 900g but this is twice the size of the ken hom ready meal, most ready meals are 400-450g. WW ones can be 300g or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭finglasgal1

So had my weigh in this morning I was down 3/4's of a pound & honestly I'm delighted with a loss BUT I was hoping it would be more as I STS last week.

With all that said I'm now exactly 13st & I've lost half a stone since I began so it evens out at 1.4lbs per week so I guess per WW I am on track & that's albs of pure fat!!

I'm not demotivated at all it just spurs me on to get a loss nxt wk as well. I obsessively track everything I eat I am exercising alot& this week I managed to eat all my dailies & half my weeklies & honestly I didn't feel at all deprived I had treats, I had alcohol I had a massive dinner last night so from a food consumption point of view I've eaten more than I ever have :) but all the prep & forethought & finding time for exercise is hard but at the end of the day weightless is hard & there are no longterm quick fixes!

I think maybe like shoelover I've been a bit too obsessive I'm still going to do everything I am doing but maybe I shouldn't set myself thoughts of losing more than a 1lb every week, weightloss has always been hard for me & I guess I'll never be one of those ppl who loses 4-6lb in a week & I think now ive made peace with that I'm okay!

I know I'm deffo losing inches I tried on a dress last night which hasn't fit me properly in ages, it looks great I had room in it & best of all my arms used to catch @ the top & now there's a couple of inches on each side! I'm delighted & that is what is spurring me on to keep going!

I'm away to Berlin nxt thurs morning so I'm going to WI a day early I'd rather do that then miss it altogether & not know for 2 wks, I'm hoping I'll be able to find good healthy choices while over there so I don't gain or STS!

Have a great weekend all :D

Hey I was in Berlin 2 weeks ago!! I brought the "eating out" book with me too but I didntfind it tobe overly healthy!! Nothing but mcdonalds, kfc, burger kings, dunkin donuts etc.... We ate mostly in hotel or in proper restaurants but english notgreat over there so was hard to ask for meatwith no sauce etc.. mash potato not great over there its like powered stuff so i had chips twice in the 5days I was there for! Enjoy it, its a beautiful place! go to the Zoo its deadly haha

Thanks for that finglas :) love the idea of the zoo for Sunday maybe!

One of my friends who is coming along is german so I'm going to get her to translate! I was in Germany before Xmas & everytime I ordered soup it seemed to be made with cream or with a huge dollop on the top I'm lactose intolerant so don't have alot of dairy with the exception of some LF milk & cheese's I know I can eat with no after effects so it drove me bloody mad & that was pre WW so this time it is going to be harder! I'm going to pack low point snacks & stock up on fruit etc for the hotel & hopefully be able to get some more sensible options for dinner! My OH said not to worry but in the back of my head I'm like agghh I do not want to eat crap food WW or otherwise so I'll drive everyone mad when we go out to eat! He's the only one that knows I'm on WW so it'll be fun!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭finglasgal1

Thanks for that finglas :) love the idea of the zoo for Sunday maybe!

One of my friends who is coming along is german so I'm going to get her to translate! I was in Germany before Xmas & everytime I ordered soup it seemed to be made with cream or with a huge dollop on the top I'm lactose intolerant so don't have alot of dairy with the exception of some LF milk & cheese's I know I can eat with no after effects so it drove me bloody mad & that was pre WW so this time it is going to be harder! I'm going to pack low point snacks & stock up on fruit etc for the hotel & hopefully be able to get some more sensible options for dinner! My OH said not to worry but in the back of my head I'm like agghh I do not want to eat crap food WW or otherwise so I'll drive everyone mad when we go out to eat! He's the only one that knows I'm on WW so it'll be fun!! :)

There are places for veg etc... but everything comes in dresings, sauces etc... so if ur friend is there then happy days, she can ask for things 4 ya lol I wasnt so lucky... it is ALOT of walking too, steps everywhere.... There is a lovely pub called " The Pub" in Alexander Platz... If you can go there for a hour or two, you wont regret it!! Oh and wrap up as its freezinggggg.

Oh Berlin ROCKS! I love it there.

Everytime I go I walk loads and never gain anything for WW the following week so eat what you like (within reason) and LOTS of walking!

Enjoy!
    :D

I try to eat all of my points but I always seem to have extra points at the end of the day that I don't use. I don't want to use them for the sake of using them.

I normally have natural yogurt and fruit for breakfast which is only 2 PP, for lunch I have a WW wrap with 1 slice of ham and 20g of low low cheese with extra light mayo and lettuce totally 7PP. Dinner I noramlly have a WW dinner with loads of veg, last nights dinner was 8PP, snack was 2 yogurts and velvet crunch, total points for day was 21PP. Should I be eating more?

I've started exercising this week. We got a tread mill which feels great. Have only had a chance to go on it twice this week. Do you exercise everyday?

We normally have a chinese take away most weekends and I try to go for the lower points option. I'll try the Chow Mein dishes as they seem to be lower on points. What I'll do is put the plate on the scale and them weigh the food so I know the weigh of the food. I allocate the 49 PPs to the chinese.

Not sure where I'm going wrong.

Thanks to this thread it keeps me motivated.

It does look to me that you are under eating especially if you're exercising alot. Is it WW ready meals you're eating?

I was finding it really hard to eat all my pp as well this wk is the first week I did everyday, I added an extra bit of protien to dinner to try bulk it up & a few times I made some gravy & had peas to have something a bit different.

You need to be careful that your body doesn't go into famine mode ie starts to store what you eat rather than burning it & therefore slowing down or stopping weightloss. Maybe nxt week try to find foods you like to up your pp intake or switch from low fat things to regular if it's a case you're not actually hungry ie milk, cheese etc.

I know how you feel about not eating for the sake of it but just don't underest either. I'd say try use your dailies at least whatever about the weeklies. Maybe add something at breakfast like a small bowl of porridge or cereal, scrambled eggs etc :)

Jeepers 49 points for a chinese??? Just a main meal? I think that's waaaaaay overpointed!!

• Advertisement

Jeepers 49 points for a chinese??? Just a main meal? I think that's waaaaaay overpointed!!

sorry meant to say I just count the 49 weekly points towards the chinese because I'm not sure how much to allocate

It does look to me that you are under eating especially if you're exercising alot. Is it WW ready meals you're eating?

I was finding it really hard to eat all my pp as well this wk is the first week I did everyday, I added an extra bit of protien to dinner to try bulk it up & a few times I made some gravy & had peas to have something a bit different.

You need to be careful that your body doesn't go into famine mode ie starts to store what you eat rather than burning it & therefore slowing down or stopping weightloss. Maybe nxt week try to find foods you like to up your pp intake or switch from low fat things to regular if it's a case you're not actually hungry ie milk, cheese etc.

I know how you feel about not eating for the sake of it but just don't underest either. I'd say try use your dailies at least whatever about the weeklies. Maybe add something at breakfast like a small bowl of porridge or cereal, scrambled eggs etc :)

I don't exercise that much because I really don't enjoy it, good idea on the breakfast ideas. I'll try that. thanks for ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

Hi all

just catching up on all posts well done on all the weight losses and to those who were disappointed just remember you have begun the journey and we will all make it!! :) Thanks Eabhabear for your comments last week much appreciated!!

I have wi tamo only 2nd week back and on the pp system have used all points n weeklies again!! Really not sure (like most of you) what way is better to lose but i needed the weeklies ( night out) and my dailies suffice for my 3 meals !!

Will keep you guys posted

Hope you all have a great weekend... onwards and downwards ;) x

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

Hey thanks 4 tip!! If you dont mind would u be able to email the receipe for the chicken pasta bake?? If its not too much trouble!

Could I also have it made a carbonara pasta bake the other night (dollmio) and the OH actually liked it so would love to do another one

well, i just found this thread with a good few PP recipes!!!
    maybe somebody already post it here.. if so, sorry!!
    I just thought we could all enjoy a few new dishes!! :)

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=311419&start=24

Thought i shared this one i found in that link i just sent you guys..
    someone's having a nice treat this weekend!!! me!!! :D

Tiramisu sundae,6pp per portion,makes 1.

Place 3 sponge fingers in a dish,drizzle with 2 tsp coffee liqueur and a little expresso-strength coffee. Allow this to soak in. Top first with 125g low fat plain fromage frais mixed with a little canderel artificial sweetner to taste. Finally,top with a 65g pot of low fat chocolate mousse.

Oh.. only one wee question, where do you buy sponge fingers? i dont think i've seen them in the shops..

I wouldn't exercise every day...I aim to, but probably only get out about 3/4 times a week. I try do a bit more than I normally would at weekends, when i have more time.

I would definately say you're not eating enough. 8pp for dinner?? I'd be starving nearly straight away. I allow 10-15 points for dinner. I break mine up roughly about 5-10-15.

Couldn't agree more with this point. It's so important to eat enough from all the food groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 irishfm

amira wrote: »
    well, i just found this thread with a good few PP recipes!!!
    maybe somebody already post it here.. if so, sorry!!
    I just thought we could all enjoy a few new dishes!! :)

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=311419&start=24

thanks for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

rubadub wrote: »
    This is essential, I can only guess they are getting chow meins in small trays and loosely packed, then I could imagine it being only 9.

Salter are a good brand of scales, this one is on offer in argos for only €8.32, you can book one online in your local store, they send a text message to your phone with a code and set it aside for a day or 2.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8426435/c_1/1|category_root|Kitchen+and+laundry|14418476/Trail/searchtext%3ESALTER.htm

You can always get the chow mein and set aside half for the next day. I was saying my local would be about 900g but this is twice the size of the ken hom ready meal, most ready meals are 400-450g. WW ones can be 300g or so.

Salter scales are fantastic. and there bathroom digital scales are bang on accurate as well! i think when it comes to weighing out foods....you really do need the digital kitchen scales...hell i weight on my 15g of flora light for my toast :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

Totally put off my chinese now, knew 9pp was to good to be true.

i'm sure she will give you another pocket guide if you explain - id be lost without mine!

i no what people are saying but the majority of chinese use the same size plastic tubs and in the eating out guides it has half portions ect for other foods so i personally would take it that if it says 9pp for special chow mein (i havnt my book to hand so dont quote me on pp) that it must be...:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement