Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

rovert wrote: »
    He became a total cartoon BABYEE

Absolutely, however he made a damn good transition to it. Something a lot of current WWE guys are struggling to do.
    Flashes of brillance alright.

I heard Jimmy's book wasnt very good.

I haven't heard anything about it myself. Slight off topic, but staying on as someone mentioned Arn's horribly kayfabed book, but i watched some of the Horsemen DVD. I loved how they over-dramatised the Arn/Sid stabbing incident.

I also love how they conveniently failed to mention that Sid stabbed arn multiple times with a SAFETY SCISSORS.

Fatal injuries my ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Rovert, still waiting to hear your top 5 books..... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Rovert, still waiting to hear your top 5 books..... :)

Still thinking it over I think a top 10 is needed there is fact a lot of good Wrestling books out there

rovert wrote: »
    Still thinking it over I think a top 10 is needed there is fact a lot of good Wrestling books out there

cool.

Main reason i'm asking is because i dont have that many wrestling books and i am traveling a lot more lately so...

Wrestling books SERIOUS BUSINESS

• Advertisement

Top 10 in order :eek:
    Bret Hart “Hitman”
    Mick Foley “Have a Nice Day”
    Pain & Passion: The History of Stampede Wrestling by Heath McCoy
    Pure Dynamite
    Death of WCW by Bryan Alverez & R.D. Reynolds
    Chris Jericho: a Lions Tale
    William Regal: Walking A Golden Mile
    Ric Flair To Be The Man
    Wrestling at the Chase by Sam Muchnick
    The Wrestling by Simon Garfield

Just bought this:

http://www.crowbarpress.com/crowbarpress/bruno/index.html

A few people have raved about it.

Matt Randazzo, who wrote "Ring of Hell," is looking for any readers of the book who have any suggestions on corrections or improvements to write him at MRV@MatthewRandazzo.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

This may have been posted elsewhere, and if so - apologies. I've just been to www.brethart.com and it seems Bret's book is to be released in the UK April 2009!!!

I can see this book being a total fail in the UK and European markets to be honest, as people have been buying it from Canada for the last year already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

... grand so, I'll get it for peanuts from Reads hopefully :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I can see this book being a total fail in the UK and European markets to be honest, as people have been buying it from Canada for the last year already.

Exactly. This is what I did. On another note I just read DiBiase's. It's ****e.

forbesii wrote: »
    Exactly. This is what I did. On another note I just read DiBiase's. It's ****e.

I stopped after the first ten pages. I do plan to go back to it, but it was riddled with mistakes from what I read, and that was the first ten pages, i'm half scared of what's next!

I stopped after the first ten pages. I do plan to go back to it, but it was riddled with mistakes from what I read, and that was the first ten pages, i'm half scared of what's next!

You mean grammatical or factual? My knowledge isn't wide nough to notice the factual ones.
    Only intersting bits were about the way the Million Dollar Man gimmick was created and his run in WCW and as a producer for WWE. It's also written in a really weird way:

I am Ted DiBiase. I work for World Wrestling Federation. I am also a preacher etc. etc. There is no I'm or I'd in Ted's world. He talks very formally. Or at least his ghost writer does.

forbesii wrote: »
    You mean grammatical or factual? My knowledge isn't wide nough to notice the factual ones.

Factual ones. Pages 8-11 were the ones that sent alarm bells ringing!

The twin referees story is utter bull****. Dave Hebner never got knocked out and DiBiase never signalled for a second referee that looked the same. The same Hebner was there all the way until the bell rang. It was after that, when Earl came out to point out that the referee was bogus.

Also at Wrestlemania IV, his recollection was that Liz was distracing the referee and Randy was a heel. Randy had actually turned face in the middle of 1987, months before Mania, and it was actually Andre, who had seconded DiBiase for the final because Virgil was suplexed by Hogan on the concrete earlier in the night.

After two f*ckups like that in the first few pages of the book, i put it down and concentrated on the other books i was working through.

Factual ones. Pages 8-11 were the ones that sent alarm bells ringing!

The twin referees story is utter bull****. Dave Hebner never got knocked out and DiBiase never signalled for a second referee that looked the same. The same Hebner was there all the way until the bell rang. It was after that, when Earl came out to point out that the referee was bogus.

Also at Wrestlemania IV, his recollection was that Liz was distracing the referee and Randy was a heel. Randy had actually turned face in the middle of 1987, months before Mania, and it was actually Andre, who had seconded DiBiase for the final because Virgil was suplexed by Hogan on the concrete earlier in the night.

After two f*ckups like that in the first few pages of the book, i put it down and concentrated on the other books i was working through.

Honestly, I'd leave it down if I were you. At times I was imagining reading it in Vince's voice its so biased. Unfortunately Ted completely sucks Vince's dick which is never enjoyable. We also get the whole "I was saved from myself" story.

EDIT: By the way, I was going to ask you, how do you change your username? I'm sick of mine, I'd rather match it with my Gamertag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Flying through Jerichos book at the moment, great read and very funny in parts. He also left the door open for a follow up book based on his WWE career in a few years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

You won't believe some of the stuff later on then....

This is from a review i did of it a while back (the whole thing is here btw...

http://www.ifight365.com/2008/09/the-dreaded-nerve-hold-review-ted-dibiase-the-million-dollar-man/

Also an issue is the litany of minor errors that nonetheless combine regularly enough to be pretty damn irritating.
    “The ending of the King of the Ring tournament was quite spectacular. They crowned two kings, Bret Hart and Lex Luger, because they both landed on the floor simultaneously.”

Christ!

BUMP!
    Giving this one a nudge up the forum as i'm about to try and finish off the rest of the DiBiase book this weekend. It's been a couple of months since this thread has seen activity and i usually hate resurrecting zombie threads, Surely SOMEONE has read a PW book in the last few months, so it'll save doing a new thread for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jerichos was fcuking brilliant..finished it recently..and ..WOW

• Advertisement

Got the Rise and fall of ECW book there not too long ago for a super price of 11.90 in waterstones and i'm about 2/3s through it.

Was a little peeved at first because it seemed like a word for word account of the DVD.
    But i'm loving it at the moment.

Has anyone else read it?

Got the Rise and fall of ECW book there not too long ago for a super price of 11.90 in waterstones and i'm about 2/3s through it.

Was a little peeved at first because it seemed like a word for word account of the DVD.
    But i'm loving it at the moment.

Has anyone else read it?

Didn't the book come out first? Usually that's the order. Thats why Cheating Death, Stealing Life and Heartbreak and Triumph and The Stone Cold Truth are condensed versions of the book.

Could be wrong, didn't bother with the book for ECW... due to it being ECW.
    DVD was awesome though, Heyman is a master storyteller and to me, is more suited to DVD and shoots, than writing. As his anger only adds to it and it would work better over hearing, than reading. :)

Didn't the book come out first? Usually that's the order.

Probably did. But i watched the DVD just after it came out (wasnt a big reader at the time so even if i was aware i more than likely didnt even give it a thought).
    DVD was awesome though, Heyman is a master storyteller and to me, is more suited to DVD and shoots, than writing. As his anger only adds to it and it would work better over hearing, than reading. :)

Heyman is directly quoted a lot in the book.
    He has a lot of stories to tell about every aspect of ECW. some of the best ones are on the battles they had with the PPV producers after the Mass Transit situation and how tough he worked throughout all the legalities.

At present i am on page 210. The narration is of the time of the first original ECW invasion on Raw in 1997 and i know i only have a short bit to go in the book and i really wish there was more.

Makes me wonder why Heyman never wrote a biography. Or at least there was never any published of him.

Probably did. But i watched the DVD just after it came out (wasnt a big reader at the time so even if i was aware i more than likely didnt even give it a thought).

Same here, i only started when I was doing cross country trips, made them go a lot quicker.
    Heyman is directly quoted a lot in the book.
    He has a lot of stories to tell about every aspect of ECW. some of the best ones are on the battles they had with the PPV producers after the Mass Transit situation and how tough he worked throughout all the legalities.

At present i am on page 210. The narration is of the time of the first original ECW invasion on Raw in 1997 and i know i only have a short bit to go in the book and i really wish there was more.

Makes me wonder why Heyman never wrote a biography. Or at least there was never any published of him.

Sounds like it's done the same way as The Stone Cold Truth, snippets of quotes from different people. As for a Heyman biography, I wouldn't rule it out, if the Sun end up getting rid of him as budget cuts, he might resort to it. Personally i'd prefer a shoot interview. That would be worth watching, just for his stories alone.

As for a Heyman biography, I wouldn't rule it out, if the Sun end up getting rid of him as budget cuts, he might resort to it. Personally i'd prefer a shoot interview. That would be worth watching, just for his stories alone.

I'm not usually one for shoot interviews, dont get me wrong, as interesting as they are, i more than likely don't know enough history of whoever it is on to sit through 4 or so hours of them telling the stories.

But Heyman is so charismatic, so un-apologetically up front and passionate that it would be a must see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

books i've read

really enjoyed

Foley's 1st
    flairs
    wrestlecrap

enjoyed
    Jerry Lawlors
    HBKs
    foleys 2nd
    sex lies and headlocks

didnt like
    Foley's 3rd, although it wasn't as bad as.............
    Austins

I've just finished Jericho and i really liked it, it reminded me Foleys 1st book. Foleys 1st book is my favourite wrestling book. I gave it to a load of my non-restling fan mates and they all enjoyed it too, showed how good it was. I'm thinking of re-buying it as i cant find my copy ( cant rememer who i gave it too ) and i want to read it again.

Bret Harts is out on paperback soon thats next on my list. Think I'll pick up the death of wcw too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I recently read Larry Zbyszko's book and thought it was quite good. Dynamite Kid's is just so damn bitter, he hates everyone.

I'm not usually one for shoot interviews, dont get me wrong, as interesting as they are, i more than likely don't know enough history of whoever it is on to sit through 4 or so hours of them telling the stories.

That's exactly the reason to watch them, as history lessons. Of course the likes of CM Punk wouldn't be able to tell you much, but the old schoolers like Bret, Cornette, Heenan, Shawn's interviews are all worth checking out.
    But Heyman is so charismatic, so un-apologetically up front and passionate that it would be a must see.

Being charismatic has bugger all to do with, but you've hit the outspoken bit on the head, and the more outspoken they are, the better the interview. Especially if they're bitter about certain people. :D

I recently read Larry Zbyszko's book and thought it was quite good. Dynamite Kid's is just so damn bitter, he hates everyone.

I LOVED Dynamite's book. It does come across as bitter, but given what Bret mentions about him, he is bitter, but not so much in the sense that he hates everyone, but in the sense that he had nothing to show for everything that he did and he's the only one responsible for it. Also bear in mind that book was written nearly nine years ago. He's actually apparently calmed down a lot since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

^^^ Dynamite's is the one book that i've really wanted to read for a long time, and just not got round to it. Hafta be checking that out soon.

I honestly have been interested in that many wrestlng books of late- i was very disappointed by DiBiase's. I'm waiting on Andre's arriving atm though- that should make for an interesting read.
    Lately i've been picking up a few mma titles instead though- Jens Pulver's Little Evil, and Chuck Liddell's autobiograph were both great reads.

Advertisement