Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Anyone see Kamala is doing a kickstarter to raise funds for a book, not many have backed it so far, would be an interesting addition to the library.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kennycasanova/kamala-official-autobiography-wwe-wrestler-wrestli

Ugh, why can't one of the gifts me a MOC Moon Belly Hasbro figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Reebrock wrote: »
    Ugh, why can't one of the gifts me a MOC Moon Belly Hasbro figure.

The man needs money, surely if he had any of those figures they would be on eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The author, an Irish guy, Paul O’Brien from Wexford, was on Wrestle Talk TV last night. He was talking about the books and was saying they're being adapted to tv in the States. They sound interesting so may check them out.

Got an email the other day to pre-order the third and final installment. Not out until the middle of August but looking forward to it. A Tv adaptation would be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Hunting for Jesus would have been a better title.

Bvl5fHAIUAAYnmx.jpg

Out early 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Has Shawn rediscovered the memory he lost when he discovered God I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

His eyes are getting worse. One eye looking at you, the other one looking for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

A whole book of Michaels's should be interesting. The dude puts on a fierce facade of moral righteousness and maintains it pretty well for the most part, but I can't imagine it'd hold for a whole book.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 halfahead

Shawn Michaels: Greatest wrestler of all time & delusional hypocrite. "I love God and faith and Christianity. Let's go hunt and kill animals for sport."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

halfahead wrote: »
    Shawn Michaels: Greatest wrestler of all time & delusional hypocrite. "I love God and faith and Christianity. Let's go hunt and kill animals for sport."

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis+1%3A28&version=NIV

Genesis 1:28New International Version (NIV)

28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis+1%3A29&version=NIV

Genesis 1:29New International Version (NIV)

29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis+1%3A30&version=NIV

Genesis 1:30New International Version (NIV)

30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/shawn-michaels/new-adventures/221269094579559

New Adventures
    June 30, 2011 at 12:54am
    I’m sure that you have all heard people say things like: “I am going to simplify my life” or, “I am going to get back to my ‘roots!’” Well, now that I have retired from the WWE after more than twenty-five incredible years of entertaining all of you that is EXACTLY what my family and I are going to do!

Let me give you a little history. I grew up in a military family. My father is a retired Air Force Col. and he stressed the importance of discipline, hard work and self-sufficiency. Although I did not grow up hunting, I did grow up around it. After all, I did grow up a Texan! But, I was spending 250 days a year on the road jumping off of things much too high, so I simply did not have the time. However, I always wanted to get into hunting. It took a severe back injury to lead me down a path that would change my life forever, and that included. starting to hunt.

When recovering from my back surgery a friend of mine took me on a deer hunt. It was a life changing experience. I found myself alone in the midst of the splendor of God’s creation. For what seemed like the first time I listened to the wind blowing, and the birds chirping. I saw a bluer sky and greener grass. I enjoyed the challenge of becoming a better marksman and better provider for my family. Also, it was then that I realized I was actually a mortal. Everything in my life changed, forever. Jesus Christ became my personal Lord and Savior and I vowed to live the rest of my life guided by faith and to read and study the Bible to help me on that journey.

Although I thought my WWE career was over at that time and I would actually get to start hunting more, God had other plans for me. With faith, determination and the support of my wife Rebecca, “The Showstopper” had one more come back in him. I was able to not only get back into the WWE ring, but to come back and wrestle some of the best matches of my life. I had made it back !

Now, fast-forward almost a decade later and I find myself retired from the WWE ring. I have been hunting for over 12 years and now find myself hosting a show on Outdoor Channel. To be specific, I am hosting, “Shawn Michaels” MacMillan River Adventures with my friend Keith Mark. The show will air Tuesday nights at 11:30 pm EST and Saturday night at 7:00 pm EST starting June 28, 2011!

Since word of me hosting an outdoor television has reached the public I have been getting a lot of questions about hunting and why I hunt.

From a practical standpoint, here are some of my thoughts:

Venison is the healthiest, most natural organic renewable nutrition on the earth. Not to utilize it would be a shame.

The science of sustained yield demands that the surplus be harvested each natural season of harvest to balance game populations from next spring’s production on a limited habitat. In others words, even if many hunters hunt only for sport, there is a checks and balances that must be maintained to ensure both the health of the wildlife and us.

The quality of our air, soil and water, and therefore our quality of life, is determined by the health of wildlife habitat. It is hunters, fishers and trappers that monitor and pay for the management thereof. It is due to the hunting lifestyle and wildlife management financed by hunters that has created the healthiest wildlife biodiversity on earth today. Because of the hunting lifestyle, there are more deer, turkey, cougars, black bears and wild geese in North America than ever in recorded history. Without the billions and billions of dollars generated each hunting season by American hunters, the unprecedented success of wildlife management in America would cease to function. That would be criminally irresponsible.

Hunting is the most basic natural function of man, beast and nature. God created us as hunters and gave us the birds and animals to manage, hunt and eat.

In Genesis 1:28 it says, “And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.”

It continues in Genesis 1:29-30, “And God said, ‘Behold I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, and every green plant I have given for food.’”

Genesis 10:9 “He was a mighty hunter before the Lord.”

Genesis 27:3 “Take your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out to the field and hunt game for me.”

Genesis 21:20 “And God was with the boy (Isaac) and he grew up. He lived in the wilderness and became an expert with the bow.”

Jeremiah 16:16 “Behold, I am sending for many fishers, declares the Lord, and they shall catch them. And afterward I will send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain and every hill.”

Acts 10:13 “Peter was told to, ‘Rise, kill and eat.’”

Also, hunting is incredible fun and naturally challenging, I enjoy the time I spend in the wild with my family and friends and I believe that the discipline involved in the hunting and shooting sports are helping my children to grow up to be productive, responsible people and citizens.

Plus, at the Michaels’ home, we eat what we kill. In addition to that we and countless other hunters have donated thousands of pounds of meat to homeless and needy people across this nation and others. We recognize how healthy wild game is and we are proud that we do not buy our meat at the grocery store. I am a hunter! That’s how God made me and I am not ashamed to admit that. My family and me have gotten back to our roots. We hunt, we pray and we love our country.

I recognize that no matter how much love, faith, and factual information I provide there are going to be people who simply will not agree with the lifestyle I have chosen. Personally, it's that diversity that makes us so great. I would ask that as I respect your right to disagree, you show me the same courtesy. I spent 25 years defending myself and you against the stereotype that we're all a bunch of "dimwitted toothless rednecks," what's the harm against doing it again for another group of people I believe in? And at the end of the day there will still be those who just love to be difficult because...well, just because. To you I say this, my lifestyle is 100% protected by and in accordance with, the laws of this land...in every sense. You wanna challenge me in that? Knock you sox off!!

And if you're not down with that...I got two words for ya...

Shawn Michaels

BTW, I'm not a bible basher, I just like being right.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Never thought I'd see someone research and quote bible verses on our pro-wrestling forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Never thought I'd see someone research and quote bible verses on our pro-wrestling forum.

Yeah, thumping your bible and talking about psalms and John 3:16 don't get you anywhere in wrestling.

I'll get my coat.....

A note about The Death of WCW: 10th Anniversary of the Bestselling Classic - Revised and Expanded is out October 1st on the Amazon Kindle
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Wcw-The-Anniversary-Bestselling/dp/1770411763

The physical copy version is out November 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

read the Rocks and Mick Foleys autobiographies when i was younger, and loved them (was a huge wrestling fan at the time).

Might be something to look at?

rovert wrote: »
    A note about The Death of WCW: 10th Anniversary of the Bestselling Classic - Revised and Expanded is out October 1st on the Amazon Kindle
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Wcw-The-Anniversary-Bestselling/dp/1770411763

The physical copy version is out November 20th

I hyped this on good faith so I feel like I have an obligation to warn people how bought the original book. The revised edition is a total cash in. Little of value is added, corrections weren't corrected and if anything they added more inaccuracies. Just more evidence that Alvarez is disengaged from Wrestling in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I hyped this on good faith so I feel like I have an obligation to warn people how bought the original book. The revised edition is a total cash in. Little of value is added, corrections weren't corrected and if anything they added more inaccuracies. Just more evidence that Alvarez is disengaged from Wrestling in 2014.

Appreciate the warning as I was thinking of buying it. I assumed (I guess mistakenly) that it would be good based on just how much he was shilling it. Embarassing if it's just a cash-in. I did think it odd just how much they plugged that they put back in stuff that was edited out of the first edition.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's a shame to hear. I loved reading the original death of WCW book (even if it wasn't well-written - just reading the week-to-week review of what happened is absolutely fascinating). Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I ordered the Bill Demott book even though I don't like him what with all the stories of him being an asshole/bully trainer might be an interesting read to hear some of his opinions from his days in WCW and breaking into the business with the likes of Taz and Tommy Dreamer.

I ordered the Bill Demott book even though I don't like him what with all the stories of him being an asshole/bully trainer might be an interesting read to hear some of his opinions from his days in WCW and breaking into the business with the likes of Taz and Tommy Dreamer.

The closure of Deep South Wrestling is something too.

Has anyone got the Jericho book yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hadn't realised it was out.

*runs to Amazon*

• Advertisement

It is a mixed bag. Jericho is a bit showbiz-y and up his arse. It is kind of what the third Mick Foley was little in terms of it being padded out. In contrast to his prior books there's a fair amount of spelling and factual errors.

Chris publishes some of his text message wars with Vince McMahon. Vince sounds like gas craic:
    Jericho: "I've come up with an idea for a new finish."
    Vince: "You already have a finish - looking at the lights! HA-HA-HA!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Anyone know when its available in Irish shops? Easons etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

It is a mixed bag.

Did you read it in like a half an hour?!

Ageyev wrote: »

Did you read it in like a half an hour?!

Where did I say I read it?

Dancor wrote: »
    Anyone know when its available in Irish shops? Easons etc?

Looking for Jerichos new book lads.

Easons don't have it in yet, has anyone seen it in any other shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Looking for Jerichos new book lads.

Easons don't have it in yet, has anyone seen it in any other shops?

Eason, Hodges Figgis and Tower Records currently have no plan to stock the book.

Why? I have no idea. They stock his last book in both Eason & Hodges Figgis.

Chapters also don't have the book but are willing to order it on request. So best option is to do the same yourself and get it from Amazon.

duuuaaaane wrote: »
    Eason, Hodges Figgis and Tower Records currently have no plan to stock the book.

Why? I have no idea. They stock his last book in both Eason & Hodges Figgis.

Chapters also don't have the book but are willing to order it on request. So best option is to do the same yourself and get it from Amazon.

That's weird, the lady in Easons told me they had loads coming in asking for it, they must be losing a few €€€ not stocking it. I wanted it for a flight tomorrow, feck it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Anyone read this? Heard Jim Ross and one or two others mentioning this one on their podcasts, might check it out.

http://www.grapplerbook.com/

Piper had him on as a guest, but he was rat-arsed (Piper, not Denton) so I couldn’t listen to it, sounded like a car crash.
    Piper’s son and Gangrel were in the room also, all laughing and shouting, a mess.
    I love Hot Rod but his (real, not TV P.Pit) interviewing techniques are woeful, think he’s going senile, he had Mr. Anderson on there a while back and was nearly in tears just because he mentioned he his wife had twins this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

That's weird, the lady in Easons told me they had loads coming in asking for it, they must be losing a few €€€ not stocking it. I wanted it for a flight tomorrow, feck it anyways.

I was told the same thing in Eason - then she mentioned, it was popular before. This was the day the book was out - she then said, "No, A Lion's Tale by Chris Jericho has been out for a few years". For whatever reason, that's listed by Eason as his most recent book.

The website has it listed as 'Coming Soon', but has done for about 4 months now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just realised there's a fair few wrestling books I'm tempted to check out.

Already have Jericho's in the basket (know it got mixed, but I did enjoy his last two...), but noticed there was a new HBK autobiog out two weeks ago. Anyone read it?

Also, any reviews of Hardcore Holly's book, "Titan Sinking" and "Spandex, Screw Jobs and Cheap Pops"? :)

Advertisement