Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Holly's book is excellent one of the very best Wrestler Autobiographies since the big Wrestling book boom of 10 years ago or so now.

Spandex, Screw Jobs and Cheap Pops was good but I found all the Wrestler's stories a bit repetitious. Maybe best read on a staggered basis and between a couple of other books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Was just scrolling through my Kindle and came across a book I'd forgotten about, "The Somebody Obsession" by Matt Murphy. Written by a former indie wrestler that never made it to the big stage, well worth a read for anybody looking for something a little different or that's running out of wrestling books.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just got jerichos book yesterday and I'm liking it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Finished jerichos third book, very good read, maybe not as good as the first but better then the second.... I even enjoyed the Fozzy stories a lot more in this one as with dancing with the stars bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I wasn't a huge fan of Jericho's 3rd book at all, maybe my expectations were too high.

His first is in my top 3 of wrestling books, and I loved the second also.

The 10th Anniversary re-release of the Death of WCW by Bryan Alvarez and Ryan Reynolds is awesome. There is a lot of new material in there, as well as a chapter closing "Lessons not Learned" section, pointing out the stupid thinds WWE and TNA have done, that mirror the mistakes WCW made

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The 10th Anniversary re-release of the Death of WCW by Bryan Alvarez and Ryan Reynolds is awesome. There is a lot of new material in there, as well as a chapter closing "Lessons not Learned" section, pointing out the stupid thinds WWE and TNA have done, that mirror the mistakes WCW made
    rovert wrote: »
    I hyped this on good faith so I feel like I have an obligation to warn people how bought the original book. The revised edition is a total cash in. Little of value is added, corrections weren't corrected and if anything they added more inaccuracies. Just more evidence that Alvarez is disengaged from Wrestling in 2014.

Well that's two differing opinions :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Looking for some new books myself. I've read these so far:

Kurt Angle
    The Rock
    Rick Flair
    Bret Hart
    Jericho's first book
    Mick Foleys first, second and third book.

Might check out Bob Holly's too. Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm interested in getting Booker T's new one My Rise to Wrestling Royalty. Didn't realise he has already released one called 'From Prison to Promise'. Any body care to share their thoughts on it? Or, indeed, if anyone has gotten their hands on his new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I second that, really want to pick up Bookers book and would love to hear feedback about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Have been reading the Death of WCW, the revised edition. Finding it quiet enjoyable. Didn't read the one which was out about 10 years ago. Some of the stories in it are crazy, and you can see why the business went bust. Half way through it at moment, and i would recommend it.

• Advertisement

Booker T's first book is only alright. Thin enough. He doesn't get into WcW stuff much at all. Very little of WWE in it too.

A book you'd only read the once, and wouldn't be bothered re-reading

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Have been reading the Death of WCW, the revised edition. Finding it quiet enjoyable. Didn't read the one which was out about 10 years ago. Some of the stories in it are crazy, and you can see why the business went bust. Half way through it at moment, and i would recommend it.

Mental read:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

veganrun wrote: »
    Looking for some new books myself. I've read these so far:

Kurt Angle
    The Rock
    Rick Flair
    Bret Hart
    Jericho's first book
    Mick Foleys first, second and third book.

Might check out Bob Holly's too. Any other recommendations?

If you want some history from the olden days try National Wrestling Alliance by Tim Hornbaker, Fall Guys The Barnums of Bounce by Marcus Griffin.

If you ever find Dynamite Kid's book second hand at a car boot sale or charity shop jump on it. It is bitter and miserable but kinda rare and afaik no digital edition exists.

I got Shawn Michaels' new one but haven't started it, any thoughts or reviews?

Ageyev wrote: »
    If you ever find Dynamite Kid's book second hand at a car boot sale or charity shop jump on it. It is bitter and miserable but kinda rare and afaik no digital edition exists.

I've been dying to read Dynamite's book this long time - unfortunately, there's no digital edition

Forgot to plug this earlier so buy it right now before it goes up to full price:

https://twitter.com/Jtg1284/status/597466957110255616

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Sex Lies and Headlocks was a gripping read. Basically gives an in-depth history of the McMahon family and the history of WWF up until 2000.
    Also touches on WCW a small bit but the bulk of it is about WWF.

Im looking forward to Fin Martins e-book due soon about PS mag through the years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Don't read too many wrestling books only Foley's first back in the day and Bret Harts one. Wasn't a fan of Brets he came across too bitter, read Hardcore Hollys one though and have to say it's very good he doesn't hold back at all. Nothing to bad in it really but it's stuff we kind of guessed just never confirmed as well as an in depth look into the locker rooms. I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Pentecost

rovert wrote: »
    Forgot to plug this earlier so buy it right now before it goes up to full price:

https://twitter.com/Jtg1284/status/597466957110255616

Splashed out €1.50 on this bad boy it better be worth it.

Pentecost wrote: »

A lot of it has been spoiled online but it is really good stuff. Shad is an absolute legend. William Regal sounds like the soundest person ever while Cena comes across as a psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

You used be able to pick up Talk Radio (as it was known then) on Medium Wave Radio back in the day. Pretty sh*t reception at times. 1053 and 1089 MW I think it used be.
    Does anyone know what became of this user? Just been rereading the thread here. I started Countdown To Lockdown. I'll only read it at a snail's pace though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Pentecost wrote: »

PDF? Damn! Bad news if you have an ereader.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Don't buy the Shawn Michaels book

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Don't buy the Shawn Michaels book

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Loughc wrote: »
    Why not?

I think his latest one was all about his faith apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

So I've read:
    Jericho's 3,
    Bret Hart,
    Mick Foley's 1st one and Countdown to Lockdown,
    Bischoff,
    Shawn Michaels' 1st one,
    Hulk Hogan: My life outside the ring.

I wouldn't mind getting 10th anniversary edition of the death of WCW is it any good? Also any opinions on Booker T: From Prison to Promise, Titan Sinking and Sex, lies and headlocks? Any other recommendations are appreciated.

10tj Anniversary book of Death of WCW is class, especially if you didn't read the original.

Booker T's book was free on Amazon a while back. I thought it to be a fair price at that cost! It's only just alright...

Countdown To Lockdown is definitely going to be read over a few months for me anyway, as I can't really tolerate Mick's weird comments about women he meets for too long at a time.

Countdown To Lockdown is definitely going to be read over a few months for me anyway, as I can't really tolerate Mick's weird comments about women he meets for too long at a time.

That book was a lot more restrained than Hardcore Diaries. Mick's wife wasn't impressed with all the Melina stuff in that.

• Advertisement

Hardcore Diaries was really awkward. I wouldn't mind only Colette (is that her name?) is gorgeous.

Advertisement