Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I bought Bret hart's book today in Eason's. Just wondering what do people think of the book before I start reading it?

Essentially, everyone Bret Hart encounters is suffering from some sort of ocular incontinence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Is cuntdown to lockdown worth a read?

Having read foleys first book again it aint that great... was revolutionary for the time but I think Brets etc are far superior.

Is cuntdown to lockdown worth a read?

Having read foleys first book again it aint that great... was revolutionary for the time but I think Brets etc are far superior.

Cuntdown? haha

Brets book is great but I disagree on the Foley book. Its a fantastic read.

Countdown to lockdown is not great to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Ha ha. I think Cuntdown to Lockdown would be a far superior book, and given Mick Foley's weird writings on the divas, I think that perhaps that book is only waiting to be written. Maybe he'll wait til more of his children become sexually active before it hits the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Finished Bret's book a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it. Any recommendations for a new book (was thinking of getting lionstale by Y2J)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Finished Bret's book a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it. Any recommendations for a new book (was thinking of getting lionstale by Y2J)

Get Lions Tale.

It's brilliant. One of the funniest books I've ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

A finished reading William Regals book Walking a golden mile.

A good read, made me respect the man even more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

picked up A Battle Royal in the Sky: The Life and Death of Wrestling's 100 Greatest Gods and Gimmicks on my last visit to easons. really liked it not an essential purchase but highly recommended. an enjoyable look at wrestling's losses measured with the right degree of humour on a topic i didn't think humour would work with

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If you can pick up the second book "Undisputed....." as well, it chronicles his time with WWE. Both are fantastic reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hoozle

Hello folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am clearing out my book collection and have a few wrestling books free to a good home. Eric Bischoff's Controversy Creates Cash, Dynamite Kid's bio Pure Dynamite and I think I have a dog-eared copy of Mick Foley's Have A Nice Day on offer. I'm based in Smithfield/work on Capel Street so would like for them to be picked up around the city centre. Otherwise they're going to the Oxfam shop, where I'm sure they'll find someone to love them eventually. Please pm me. Thanks.

• Advertisement

BUMP! I still have Dynamite Kid's bio Pure Dynamite and a dog-eared copy of Mick Foley's Have A Nice Day on offer, free to a good home! Collection in city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

I would highly highly recommend Jerry the king lawlers autobiography from 2002, william regals book ,edges book and superstar billy graham's book. All excellent reads even if you didnt follow their careers. Enjoyed them as much as brets and jerichos.
    Have to say goldust's book is terrible. Never stops about drugs and his father, skims over everything in his career, didnt enjoy it much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just about to restart reading The Death of WCW.

One of my favorite wrestling books of all time. I remember reading once it made it's way onto a few Uni courses in America in terms of how not to run a business...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I remember reading once it made it's way onto a few Uni courses in America in terms of how not to run a business...

Wow. I never though wcw was that bad. Must give it a read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Just about to restart reading The Death of WCW.

One of my favorite wrestling books of all time. I remember reading once it made it's way onto a few Uni courses in America in terms of how not to run a business...

As someone with a First Class Master's in Business I can verify it is a great book on how not to run a business. :P It does have it flaws but they kind of reveal themselves once you finish off the book and learn about the process of how it was written. Highly recommended read though.

CMpunked wrote: »
    Wow. I never though wcw was that bad. Must give it a read.

I know Meltzer has a bit of a rep of being a humourless robot who no sells Alverez's jokes but he is secretly really funny. Years ago a fan complied a list of Meltzer quotes from all his Monday Night Wars WCW coverage. It probably has posted here but I just googled it and this site came up first:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129880183&page=1

Genuine great read in parts. WCW were SO innovative and ingenious at making cock ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

any charity shops around Dublin city centre where I could find some wrestling books? Anyone had any good finds in places like these?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Can't remember if I saw it in the thread before, but what was the verdict on Bischoff's Controversy Creates Cash book?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can't remember if I saw it in the thread before, but what was the verdict on Bischoff's Controversy Creates Cash book?

I read it, very easy read, you could prob read it over a weekend no problem. I enjoyed it, and it gave a good insight as what was happening behind the scenes at wCw, and you could tell by the end of the book that wCw meant something to him seeing how hard he tried to buy it and make sure Vince didn't kill it.

I enjoyed it, but took alot of it with a pinch of salt seeing who wrote it. All in all there's worse ways to spend your time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Read it a few years ago and found it pretty boring. Reviews on Amazon seem decent though

Has its pluses and minuses. He looked outside the box at a time were US Wrestling was stale and on its arse. He has a couple of schools thought which are pretty interesting. However it suffers from his poor memory, doesn't have a great Wrestling brain, he doesn't let facts get in the way of his biases and he for whatever reason left out some key people in WCW that made the show a success. Wouldn't be something I would quoue chapter and verse but it is a good read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

rovert wrote: »
    P It does have it flaws but they kind of reveal themselves once you finish off the book and learn about the process of how it was written.

Go on...

Another wrestling book I am happy to give to the first person who sends me a private message and is willing to collect in the city centre (I work on Capel Street).

The Rise and Fall of ECW.
    http://prowrestling.about.com/od/reviews/gr/wweecwbookrevie.htm

Go on...

It was written at the last possible moment, Reynolds took the first half & Alverez the second and has very little primary research.

I'm realind Superstar Billy Graham's book at the moment, has anyone read that one here?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Anyone want to recommend which of the many books on Jesse Ventura are worth a read? Have a couple of his politically leaning books, but want to try and get one that deals with his military and wrestling history. My preference would be for a good autobiography, but failing that a good biography would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Finally finished Jericho's second book today, okay enough but I enjoyed the first one more cause it had more to do with wrestling obviously and i'm not into fozzy or that. My brother is giving me Lesnar's DeathClutch book in a few weeks any thoughts on that by anyone here?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

GTR63 wrote: »
    My brother is giving me Lesnar's DeathClutch book in a few weeks any thoughts on that by anyone here?

I thought it was a fun read but it's not very big and it can be read fairly quickly. It's nice to hear his take on his WWE run, although from what I remember a lot of the book is about his early life and a feud he had with some guy from his college days. I remember wishing more of the book was about his WWE career. He comes across very intense as well. Not many funny moments. Guess I was hoping he kept his sense of humour hidden away.

I grew to really dislike him and not have very much respect for the man after I read his book. The way that he views his relationships with people, his wife in particular, really turned me sour on him. Also, the man thinks that he's above the law when it comes to money.

SKU-000611299.gif

http://www.authorhouse.co.uk/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000611299

fOverall I enjoyed this immensely. It was really well edited, was fairly objective on Alex Shane - moreso than I thought it would be and ends really well. If you ever cared for FWA attending the shows or followed them from a distance via UKFF or Powerslam or Talksport it will bring back fond memories.

Notes of interest:
    FWA had no backer or money pit Alex Shane operated on blagging or asking other FWA staff to put money in.

FWA on the Wrestling Channel cost £2-3,000 per episode and only brought in £300 to FWA.

British Uprising 3 lost £24,000!

• Advertisement

Why are Bret and Mick on the cover of that if it's a book about British wrestling? Not something I'd be too interested in probably, but it's good that things like this are being documented, so that people can discover them in years to come. I should revisit Brit wrestling. I am reading Showdowns at the moment, about rivalries in the WWF. I can safely say that it is the most poorly put together book about wrestling I have ever come across. EVER.

Advertisement