Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Hardcore Diaries was really awkward. I wouldn't mind only Colette (is that her name?) is gorgeous.

Time hasn't been too kind - have you seen his special on the Network?

Noelle on the other hand...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Ordered the hardback of The Death of WCW - 10th Anniversary Edition, in the words of Borat "I am very excite!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Time hasn't been too kind - have you seen his special on the Network?

Noelle on the other hand...:D

No.

No.

Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Currently reading The Squared Circle by David Shoemaker, he's a fairly good writer but it's trailed off as he's approached the present by being way too general and not really covering anything I don't already know. The format is a bit iffy too, might be a collection of articles rather than a book.

Has anyone here read any of the following, would like to hear some opinions on them, they've all grabbed my interest but could be total duds.

Drawing Heat by Jim Freedman
    Steel Chair to the Head by... a bunch of academics (?)
    My Life in Wrestling by Gary Hart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Ok
    Is the special on the Network any good? I wasn't able to stay awake when it was airing, and watching these things as they come on first is often my best chance to see them as I'm usually up to other stuff during daylight hours, ha ha. Anyway, I'm about halfway through Countdown To Lockdown at the moment and Mick Foley has detailed his departure from WWE following his time as an announcer on SmackDown. It was one of the more interesting anecdotes he's told.

Is the special on the Network any good? I wasn't able to stay awake when it was airing, and watching these things as they come on first is often my best chance to see them as I'm usually up to other stuff during daylight hours, ha ha. Anyway, I'm about halfway through Countdown To Lockdown at the moment and Mick Foley has detailed his departure from WWE following his time as an announcer on SmackDown. It was one of the more interesting anecdotes he's told.

I fell asleep watching it too, if i'm honest!

It really wasn't that good anyhow. I read Countdown to Lockdown too, and the Smackdown announcing bit is really well told. Gives a good insight into how Vince operates in those headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Has anyone ever questioned any of Bret harts book? As a massive fan back in the day I'd like to think the majority of the book is true due to the fact he kept a diary on tape. Any wrestlers dispute his stories

To be fair, Bret shoots straight. He sounds very genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Has anyone ever questioned any of Bret harts book? As a massive fan back in the day I'd like to think the majority of the book is true due to the fact he kept a diary on tape. Any wrestlers dispute his stories

I don't dispute his book but I think its vastly over rated. Full of self promotion and made me think of that saying, you should never meet your heroes..

Constant pink tinted glasses view on everything, I never did this I never did that I elevated guys... His matches were mostly routine after routine, once he went into his finishing set you knew it was match over..

I think the fact he never really seemed sorry for how he treated his wife shows the kind of human being he is. A self centred ego hound.

Loved having a cut off Vince/Shawn etc about everything but seems to forget he'd never have gotten to where he was without Vince or Shawn and the Montreal screw job.

I'm not saying he wasn't talented or that Vince is the bees knees but a little gratitude would've been nice. He showed very little of it in a lot of parts pof the book

I wonder what the book would've read like if it was released now post his HoF induction and appearances on various WWE shows and pay per views.

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    I wonder what the book would've read like if it was released now post his HoF induction and appearances on various WWE shows and pay per views.
    Makes me wonder about what Russo's autobiography would have been like if he didn't find his faith. I haven't read the book but according to him he had it written but then he became born-again and got rid of all the bashing of people in the book and rewrote it, thus making it shít.

I don't dispute his book but I think its vastly over rated. Full of self promotion and made me think of that saying, you should never meet your heroes..

Constant pink tinted glasses view on everything, I never did this I never did that I elevated guys... His matches were mostly routine after routine, once he went into his finishing set you knew it was match over..

I think the fact he never really seemed sorry for how he treated his wife shows the kind of human being he is. A self centred ego hound.

Loved having a cut off Vince/Shawn etc about everything but seems to forget he'd never have gotten to where he was without Vince or Shawn and the Montreal screw job.

I'm not saying he wasn't talented or that Vince is the bees knees but a little gratitude would've been nice. He showed very little of it in a lot of parts pof the book

I would have thought bret was at his peak pre Montreal so how can you say he never would have got where he was without it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

eh i dunno wrote: »
    I would have thought bret was at his peak pre Montreal so how can you say he never would have got where he was without it?

For me (and I was a hitman fan) I think without Montreal he'd have been remembered as a good working champion but he'd never have been remember in the echelons of a Hogan, Cena, Rock, Austin etc

I think there's a top level then guys that were talented and worked there asses off like Hart, HHH, Benoit and Angle.

If Montreal had never happened how often would he have been spoken off or how would he have been remembered

I'd have to disagree. Bret was one of the very best ever. Sure, Montreal will ensure that his name lives forever. But, so will his ringwork. His feuds with the likes of Austin and HBK, Perfect etc.

For me (and I was a hitman fan) I think without Montreal he'd have been remembered as a good working champion but he'd never have been remember in the echelons of a Hogan, Cena, Rock, Austin etc

I think there's a top level then guys that were talented and worked there asses off like Hart, HHH, Benoit and Angle.

If Montreal had never happened how often would he have been spoken off or how would he have been remembered

I would have Hart at least on a par with rock Austin cena etc. Far better wrestler than Hogan but obviously not at hogans level in terms of drawing money crowds etc

I would say that Chris Jericho's next book is going to be bad. We all buy it for the wrestling and as each book has come out the wrestling content inside has started to decline. With Chris doing very little wrestling since 2013 and unlikely doing much for the next few years, get ready for a lot more Fozzy chapters! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Just got an interesting promo email. I've posted on this thread before about the Blood Red Turns Dollar Green trilogy of wrestling novels. They're written by Paul O'Brien, an author from Waterford. Apparently Jim Ross is gonna write an autobiography and it will be cowritten by Paul O'Brien. Will be an interesting read no doubt.

Here's the email if anybody cares:

JR Announces Autobiography - With Me!
    I’d love to be cooler about it. Love to act like it was no big deal. This week on his Ross Report podcast, WWE legend Jim Ross announced to the wrestling world that I was coming onboard to help him write his autobiography.

I didn’t know he was going to say it. Someone on Twitter send me a message of congratulations. And even though I’ve known for weeks, it hit me. It hit me squarely in the chops - I’m writing Jim Ross’ autobiography!

Me.

This is a book I’ve wanted to read for years. As a longtime wrestling fan, and a huge WWE fan in general, I would have been one of the first in line to snap up this very book. The book that I’m now going to help over the finish line.

I get to help capture that voice that we all know so well.

A familiar, passionate voice that will guide us through chapters and pages, funny stories and interesting asides. A voice that has been around for some of the most fascinating and trying times in wrestling history.

A voice I cannot wait to write, in a book I cannot wait for you to read. By Gawd!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Is lex lugers book worth a read?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

How has Daniel Bryan's book been received?

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    How has Daniel Bryan's book been received?

Overall it is very good. However the co-writer ruins it slightly with his flowery introductions to each chapter. He uncharacteristically to Bryan himself "bigs up" Bryan way too much. The second thing is that it doesn't have too many revelations the WWE chapters essentially confirms what news websites and pundits reported/said about each and every trial and tribulation he has had. It is a very honest book for an official WWE book. Acknowledges a lot of WWE's faults.

I'd agree about the flowery chapter openings - totally takes away from the rest of the book. I'm still reading it, i'm up to where Bryan signs with WWE.

Love it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rovert wrote: »
    Overall it is very good. However the co-writer ruins it slightly with his flowery introductions to each chapter. He uncharacteristically to Bryan himself "bigs up" Bryan way too much. The second thing is that it doesn't have too many revelations the WWE chapters essentially confirms what news websites and pundits reported/said about each and every trial and tribulation he has had. It is a very honest book for an official WWE book. Acknowledges a lot of WWE's faults.

Was very reluctant to buy it because of that and i'm not a big fan of the played (imo) 'Yes' movement. I was half expecting something like below with just 320 pages in it

250px-I_Didn't_Do_It!_The_Bart_Simpson_Story.png

Daniel Bryan wanted him and Kane to be called Team Friendship if that's any solace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Got Bryans book the other day and I think its pretty good, even great for a WWE book, but Jesus Christ if I have to read an italicized "Yes man" again I'll scream. That second writer really gets up my goat. He's incredibly descriptive but he doesn't half go all out on the different wrestler monikers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It's even worse on the audiobook. They have a voiceover artist doing the intros, but for one chapter, they forgot and had Bryan read it instead. The levels of awkwardness are almost audible.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It's even worse on the audiobook. They have a voiceover artist doing the intros, but for one chapter, they forgot and had Bryan read it instead. The levels of awkwardness are almost audible.

Bryan reading
    the last page is DEVASTATING.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Bryan reading

Even worse is
    the Audible version glitches, so it ends up playing twice...back-to-back.

Bryan reading

I was really surprised reading
    the last pages of the book. Heartbreaking, really depressing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I am only few chapters in Bob Holly's book, and I already think it is a great book to read so far.

I also bought Chris Jericho's latest book, but I have never read his previous books.

I am tempted to buy Death of WCW book, but I think I already know too much of how the company folded.

Advertisement