Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I'd say his latest one was the worst, lots of Fozzy chapters and very little wrestling. I'd buy his first two if I were you with his second one called "Undisputed" being the best of the three in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I fell asleep watching it too, if i'm honest!

It really wasn't that good anyhow. I read Countdown to Lockdown too, and the Smackdown announcing bit is really well told. Gives a good insight into how Vince operates in those headsets.
    Has it ever been drawn out of him in an interview anywhere just what Vince said? I finally finished Countdown To Lockdown there last month, it was decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I'm done with Hardcore Holly's book and I have to say it is probably one of the best pro wrestling books of all-time. It was only 9 or 10 euro as a e-book on Google Playstore, so it is very good bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Was reading this thread the last few days and decided to get hardcore Hollys book on to iPad. Only 7 euro which is good value.

On jericho's books I I've read all three and own the second and third and like others have said the second book is an amazing read. The third one took me a lot longer to read I'll admit. It wasn't a bad book it wasn't as good as the second one IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mxph3 wrote: »

I am tempted to buy Death of WCW book, but I think I already know too much of how the company folded.

I read Death of WCW after a lot of people on here rrecommended it. If you already know a lot of the facts I wouldn't bother with it, because all it does is lay them out chronologically without going beyond the surface.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyone read Fin Martin's Powerslam book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Was reading this thread the last few days and decided to get hardcore Hollys book on to iPad. Only 7 euro which is good value.

It was really a great book about pro wrestling, not just about his own wrestling career. I even thought his personal life was quite interesting.

I can't imagine many people want to buy his book because he was always known as a bully. I was the same, but I looked at the reviews and the majority of them were positive so I decided to purchase this book and I would recommend this book to anyone who is a wrestling fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,883 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For anyone interested in reading comics, I mentioned it before but it may be better suited here. There's a new comic from Image called Ringside set in the world of wrestling dealing with in ring action and out of ring politics, including young up and comers and retired veterans. Read issue 1 so far and sets up a few of the characters. Issue 2 came out last week. May be better to wait for the first trade which will probably come out later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Just finished Kamala's book
    Great read
    He had a hard life but he doesn't sound one bit bitter.
    Great insights and stories
    Recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Time to drag up an old thread! Anywhere selling wrestling books? Tried easons and tried the wrestling shop in Stephens green but no luck. Going away in 2 days so can't order online. Cheers lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Try adverts.ie, if the person selling it is near you'd have the book(s) before you go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Dezekota

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Time to drag up an old thread! Anywhere selling wrestling books? Tried easons and tried the wrestling shop in Stephens green but no luck. Going away in 2 days so can't order online. Cheers lads.

Try kindle
    Could download app on phone,tablet,iPad and download a book or two

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Mick Foley's first book is on YouTube, narrated by Mick himself!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Which book was his first? I still remember getting "Tietum Brown" as a Christmas present years ago. What a messed up novel that was! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

An File wrote: »
    Which book was his first? I still remember getting "Tietum Brown" as a Christmas present years ago. What a messed up novel that was! :eek:

Have a Nice Day - A tale of Blood and Sweatsocks, or something to that effect. Brilliant book, i've read it multiple times down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Could post one onto you using swiftpost if interested or if you're living close by

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

Just finished The Hardcore Truth: The Bob Holly Story. It was a much better read than I was anticipating.

Can't remember the last wrestling biography I read, but it would've been over a decade ago. Possibly the WWE produced autobiography for Chyna or The Rock, both of which I remember being alright, but also very safe. I expected something similar with Holly's book, but it seems to be refreshingly honest. Holly's not afraid to name wrestler's he had a problem with, or complain about the WWE backstage politics. That said at times there did seem to be a bit of bitterness seeping off the page.

Was surprised to learn that Holly had never been the intercontinental champ, I was fully convinced he had won it at some stage. Anyway, a good read!

Kamala's book is a very good read
    I read that last year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭briany

Possibly the WWE produced autobiography for Chyna or The Rock, both of which I remember being alright, but also very safe.

I probably still have the Rock's bio lying around somewhere, but I don't think I ever finished it. It was probably ghost-written, and reads in the style of the Rock's patter of the time, which was braggadocios 3rd person stuff. Great for a wrestling promo, but you don't want a whole book full of it.

Have a Nice Day was an absolutely fantastic read, and I also had poured over its contents a few times at least. I'd say it was a fair few fans first true look behind the scenes of wrestling. I know it was mine, anyway, and it was a large part of what made the book hard to put down. As well as Foley just being a damn fine writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

51UHXGL-FoL.jpg
    Gonna try and get the Grappler's book after i finish Justin Roberts book first, heard his name come up by a few wrestlers in shoot interviews namely by Jake Roberts and Raven seems like an old school guy who could give a good insight to the business from back in his day think he's on the Raven effect podcast next week too should be worth a listen.

• Advertisement

I was going to buy JR's book but I noticed on Amazon that I can have a 30 day free trial of Audible and can download any Audible book for free.

I presume it's like any other trial though that you can cancel before the 30 days is up and not be charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I had this on CD back when the book was released. The DDP / cookie story is good!

I was going to buy JR's book but I noticed on Amazon that I can have a 30 day free trial of Audible and can download any Audible book for free.

I presume it's like any other trial though that you can cancel before the 30 days is up and not be charged?

Really enjoyed the audiobook of JR's autobiography. Narrated by JR himself and he did a great job. Only goes to 99 though so there will definitely be another one.

When I went to cancel my audible membership they offered me another free audiobook.

What should I go for? Bob Holly, Daniel Bryan or Justin Roberts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

With Christmas not to far away :))) I want to get 2 or 3 good wrestling books/bios,what wrestling books would ppl recommend as must read for a wrestling fan?

Really enjoyed the audiobook of JR's autobiography. Narrated by JR himself and he did a great job. Only goes to 99 though so there will definitely be another one.

When I went to cancel my audible membership they offered me another free audiobook.

What should I go for? Bob Holly, Daniel Bryan or Justin Roberts?
    bob Holly great read and not wwe produced so he tells it like it is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Death of wcw any use lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

smilerf wrote: »
    bob Holly great read and not wwe produced so he tells it like it is

Yeah I got the bob holly book after seeing in this thread that people seemed to like it. It's a very enjoyable read and honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah I got the bob holly book after seeing in this thread that people seemed to like it. It's a very enjoyable read and honest.

I'd second this.

Holly comes across as decent and honest about himself, the business and the people in it.

The Benoit stuff surprised me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Death of wcw any use lads?

Yea I really enjoyed it. Most of the stuff you know already but it's still a great read.

• Advertisement

Finished Justin Roberts book and it was a really good read.

JBL comes across as an absolute prick but I suppose that's a well known fact at this stage.

Triple H, Vince and Kevin Dunn don't come out of it looking great either.

Advertisement