Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

This may be answered already but I am lazy. Has anyone read Cross Rhodes and is it any good

Read most wrestling autobiographies and this is one of the worst. It is the only book off the top of my head where I was left feeling let down at the end. It's badly written, Goldust has an extremely hazy memory, certain events are out of order and important topics are not covered at all. He pretty much kisses up to Vince the entire book along with the never ending talk about his father Dusty. That said its an ok read and if your a fan of the man himself it might be worth picking this up for a few euro. Just don't expect much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Second esprimo's thoughts. His shoot interview given his family background and career you expect some so much but he gives you nothing. Rey Mysterio's WWE book had similar issues. Large font low page and word count.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

Thank you lads that sorted that for me will not be purchasing that. Any suggestions holidays next week like,

Thank you lads that sorted that for me will not be purchasing that. Any suggestions holidays next week like,

My top 10 from years ago that I should revise but I don't think has changed that much:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57753078

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

How did people find Controversy Creates Cash? I watched the Monday Night War episode of Legends of Wrestling roundtable and my respect for Bischoff went up a lot considering the 'discussion' turned into a 4 on 1 shoot with the WWE guys spouting the usual 'Oh you were trying to put us out of business... families.... wah wah wah'. I'm interested in reading his book now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

How did people find Controversy Creates Cash? I watched the Monday Night War episode of Legends of Wrestling roundtable and my respect for Bischoff went up a lot considering the 'discussion' turned into a 4 on 1 shoot with the WWE guys spouting the usual 'Oh you were trying to put us out of business... families.... wah wah wah'. I'm interested in reading his book now.

I liked it, but you've got to take it with a massive pinch of salt. He accepts responsibility for very, very little, shifting the blame onto others.

I found it was a good companion to "The Death of WCW" though, which can sometimes go the other extreme, but is far more detailed and factual, compared to Bischoff's book...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭jeffk

mick foely countdown to lockdown €1.50 in dealz santry

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Just bought "Spandex, Screw Jobs and Cheap Pops: Inside the Business of British Pro Wrestling". Heard good things about it and as long as it isn't just Alex Shane talking about how great all of his projects were I think I'll enjoy it.

Jamie OD wrote: »
    Just bought "Spandex, Screw Jobs and Cheap Pops: Inside the Business of British Pro Wrestling". Heard good things about it and as long as it isn't just Alex Shane talking about how great all of his projects were I think I'll enjoy it.

Haven't read all of it yet but you of all people will probably really dig it for every Alex Shane there's a Devitt, Sabre, Dar. I like the author a lot too. Actually it is Dr. Carrie Dunn now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Just coming to the end of Bob Holly's book and it's terrific. Wondering what to read next. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm reading through Bret Harts book again for the 2nd time. I'm mad to get the Dynamite Kids book now as well

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I'm reading through Bret Harts book again for the 2nd time. I'm mad to get the Dynamite Kids book now as well

Get Pain and Passion too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pain-Passion-History-Stampede-Wrestling/dp/1550227874

Marvellous book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

rovert wrote: »

Looks fantastic! Another one for the Xmas list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Dynamites is a must read, just to see the other side of wrestling and the stories hidden behind the curtain. He has lived some life, but he doesn't hide the fact that he isn't a nice guy in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Is wrestling with the devil worth reading

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Is wrestling with the devil worth reading

It is just ok. I wouldn't really recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

Anyone read bruiser Brody's book, worth it or not as it's obviously not written from his perspective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Has anybody read the Blood Red Turns Dollar Green novels? Really enjoyed the first one, felt a little let down by the second and hoping the third will redeem it.

Never even heard of them, but really tempted to try the first one. Love the idea of a wrestling based novel :D

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the name of the book about the Paul Bearer/Undertaker/Kane storyline that was mentioned in the Review-A-Wai HoF podcast?

New book coming out on the Big Gold Belt.

http://www.thebiggoldbelt.com/

big_gold_cover.jpg
    Promotional material for the book reads: "Wrestling’s most celebrated championship belt is examined as never before: its origins, its secrets, its amazing story. The belt has been photographed in amazing detail, on both the original 1986 brown leather and the black leather that replaced it. Plus, for the first time since 1991, the original 1986 "Ric Flair" nameplate is back on the belt. The book includes a special interview with Ric Flair about the earliest days of the Big Gold belt. Plus, special photographs with the "Nature Boy" taken earlier this year as he was reunited with the belt for the first time in over 14 years.

From 1986-2000, the Big Gold belt represented the NWA, WCW, and WCW International world titles. And don't forget the "Real World Championship" in the WWF in 1991! Twenty-six different champions held the belt throughout those years. Complete, detailed background on the companies and craftsmen that were involved in making the belt, both the plates and the leather. Plus the real story of who had the belt made, why it was made, and how it was delivered. Dozens of details, large and small, never known or published before. The book includes a complete title history of the belt including all three different championships it represented over 14 years. Plus rare archival documents and concept art from Crumrine Jewelers, amazingly detailed photographs, related memorabilia, and much more. From North Carolina to Nevada to the sunshine state of Florida, follow along the amazing journey of the creation of the Big Gold belt. Also included is a brief foreword by the voice of Mid-Atlantic Wrestling for four decades, broadcaster Bob Caudle and a special introduction by legendary wrestler and manager James J. Dillon. J.J. managed Ric Flair and the Four Horsemen when Flair defended the Big Gold belt all around the world. Over 200 pages of Big Gold history, over 120 color photographs, and dozens of rare documents and illustrations. It’s the Big Gold belt as you’ve never seen it before

I understood that Flair gave Triple H the original belt.

A revised edition of Death of WCW by R.D Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez is due out in a few months.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1770411755/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1402486688&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,874 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Whosthis wrote: »
    Has anybody read the Blood Red Turns Dollar Green novels? Really enjoyed the first one, felt a little let down by the second and hoping the third will redeem it.

The author, an Irish guy, Paul O’Brien from Wexford, was on Wrestle Talk TV last night. He was talking about the books and was saying they're being adapted to tv in the States. They sound interesting so may check them out.

A revised edition of Death of WCW by R.D Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez is due out in a few months.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1770411755/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1402486688&sr=8-1

Missed this post.

Thrilled. Loved the original and have read it multiple times. Brilliant history lesson for those who don't know much about WCW (though a little unbalanced sometimes; Bischoff's book covers the other side of the spectrum though). Wonder if there'll be much new in it?

If the book ends at Wrestlemania it will be a tragic comedy
    BtWNZj8IAAAI7Xf.jpg

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Wonder if there'll be much new in it?

They cut out a lot of stuff from the first edition due to the deadline at the time of publishing the previous book. Alvarez said there will be quite a bit of new stuff as well as (I think) a bit on what TNA should have learned from WCW's demise.

Great timing with the Network. As long as they hurry up with the Nitro episodes of course.

Daniel Bryan says he will try to write his book himself:

Very Foley-esque and I SO want the audio book.

While the thought occurs to me if anyone has a Kindle and an Online Observer subscription the Send to Kindle app is utterly amazing with one click it sends the Observer properly formatted to your your Kindle.

Works well with the Torch newsletter or any other website I can think of:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone see Kamala is doing a kickstarter to raise funds for a book, not many have backed it so far, would be an interesting addition to the library.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kennycasanova/kamala-official-autobiography-wwe-wrestler-wrestli

Advertisement