Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

My housemate is singing One Direction extremely loud.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Cawcheen wrote: »
    My housemate is singing One Direction extremely loud.... :pac:

My housemate is mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

garv123 wrote: »
    No more €3.50 chicken roll meal deal in the SU spar

1000x500px-LL-fd9be1b5_fuuuuuuuu.jpg

[RANT]
    That shop is becoming a joke, was there at lunch time on Monday and there were only 2 staff on the tills, big long queues forming and they eventually called one more person up to the tills... Would it not be an idea that at busy times such as on the hour every hour (especially lunch hour) all hands on deck at the tills?

And then they say the shops are making a loss... How did they ever make a profit running like this?

[/RANT]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Security checks into Kilmurry... I mean really, I still have a big heart drawn on my face like the first time I went home and the bottom of my hair is red, so I'm fairly noticeable. Surely I didn't have to go digging for my student card again to prove I lived there :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Saw a man having to guide his kids around smashed glass near the Stables.... :\

I'm also learning that RAG week is a wholly miserable experience when sober... all I can hear through the windows in CSIS are people in D-Row singing and shouting and having a laugh. Not a happy bunny am I. :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'm also learning that Charity week is a wholly miserable experience when sober...
    That's a copout. I will probably not drink for the majority of the week if not all of it and I'm having an absolute blast. The UV party was brilliant last night and the day events are great fun.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Cydoniac wrote: »
    That's a copout. I will probably not drink for the majority of the week if not all of it and I'm having an absolute blast. The UV party was brilliant last night and the day events are great fun.

Well I equate sobriety with not taking part in the day events, as last year I was having a few pints throughout the day while events were on. You're right, the day events would be good craic without alcohol. It's just I've been working 9-7 straight both Monday and today, not to mention an hour or two extra when I get home, and hearing everyone else having the craic is soul-destroying. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nolimits12

FYP=FML :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Saw a man having to guide his kids around smashed glass near the Stables.... :\

The broken glass is fair bad form on the students but if I had kids I wouldn't bring them anywhere near any college during a specific ones RAG week

The broken glass is fair bad form on the students but if I had kids I wouldn't bring them anywhere near any college during a specific ones RAG week

I thought the same thing when I saw him. But still, fairly embarrassing that people can't cop on a small bit.

Grr.... CSIS computers... after a year and a half I finally figured out how to make the standard windows magnifier work properly... would have made life so much easier if I'd figured that out sooner. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Saw a man having to guide his kids around smashed glass near the Stables....

Smashed glass near a bar? What is this world coming to...

Smashed glass near a bar? What is this world coming to...

Just because it's common doesn't make it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

really weird walking around campus with these leering loutish ladies screaming stuff out the window at you. is this how the other half feel when builders whistle at them? mortifying .

Joe Nash wayyy too harsh on Derek Daly on 'Limerick Today'.

So what? They got complaints about some students but don't attack us or our president. Jesus... :/ They expect too much of us.
    All the blame on all of us UL students but really, it most likely were other colleges coming down, non-students and just people being too drunk to even care about anything :/
    It's Rag week for crying out loud...This was expected.
    People should be just happy that they didn't get mobbed like up in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Aragneer wrote: »
    Joe Nash wayyy too harsh on Derek Daly on 'Limerick Today'.

So what? They got complaints about some students but don't attack us or our president. Jesus... :/ They expect too much of us.
    All the blame on all of us UL students but really, it most likely were other colleges coming down, non-students and just people being too drunk to even care about anything :/
    It's Rag week for crying out loud...This was expected.
    People should be just happy that they didn't get mobbed like up in Galway!
    He is the head of the ULSU so it is something he has to deal with.
    Just because its rag week is not a reason to get drunk and cause problems.

Jester252 wrote: »
    He is the head of the ULSU so it is something he has to deal with.
    Just because its rag week is not a reason to get drunk and cause problems.

That's not what I was trying to say, sorry.
    I was trying to say that not ALL of us should be targetted for some people's mistakes, you know?
    The radio and news were trying to make it out that it was ALL our fault when some of us were just enjoying our time either sober or not abusive/violent/bla bla drunk.

I wasn't trying to say that it shouldn't be dealt with or that rag week was a chance to cause problems..Not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Aragneer wrote: »

That's not what I was trying to say, sorry.
    I was trying to say that not ALL of us should be targetted for some people's mistakes, you know?
    The radio and news were trying to make it out that it was ALL our fault when some of us were just enjoying our time either sober or not abusive/violent/bla bla drunk.

I wasn't trying to say that it shouldn't be dealt with or that rag week was a chance to cause problems..Not at all.
    It all falls under the banner of one bad apple spoils the lot.
    If someone has a problem with someone in a group the person blames the group it is easier then find the person who you have the problem

Jester252 wrote: »
    It all falls under the banner of one bad apple spoils the lot.
    If someone has a problem with someone in a group the person blames the group it is easier then find the person who you have the problem

I guess that's true really.
    Ah well, it'll be all over by next week when the hype of Rag week is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

F*cking guards issuing fines all week for drinking in public place. Even issuing them for unopened drink and forcing people to pout them out :mad: :mad:

*sigh*.... the hall in our apartment block reeks of alcohol... there's a huge pool of it on the floor below... and some dickhead's left a bag of rubbish in the lift... honestly, I wonder about people sometimes...

• Advertisement

cup of tea wrote: »
    F*cking guards issuing fines all week for drinking in public place. Even issuing them for unopened drink and forcing people to pout them out :mad: :mad:

how much were fines?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

While there is no national legislation prohibiting drinking in public, each local authority area is entitled to pass bye-laws prohibiting the consumption of alcohol in a public place. Contact your local authority to find out about these bye-laws in your area.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html

Anybody found drinking alcohol in a public place in the city will now be issued with an on-the-spot €75 fine. Failure to pay will result in court proceedings being initiated within 21 days.

A similar bylaw was introduced by Limerick County Council last year and to date more than 100 people have been fined.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/public-drinkers-face-75-spot-fine-176420.html

Dead right of them to do it. Ye were warned over and over again in the lead up to the week.

Unopened drink is a bit dodgy though, thought they had to be open to fall under the drinking in public thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

thought the same, 99% sure it has to be open, otherwise how can you carry drink home

id appeal that

depends on the context really, if you were walking homewards with a bag of cans in a bag. if you're standing there with an unopened can just about to open it, they're obviously assuming your knacker drinking. you could appeal on the spot and tell them they can't confiscate closed cans but you'd run the risk of getting arrested. better off taking the loss on the beer tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Doesnt drink have to be in a bag? I taught thats why they put bottles of wine and vodka in brown paper bags.

garv123 wrote: »
    Doesnt drink have to be in a bag? I taught thats why they put bottles of wine and vodka in brown paper bags.

Yeah it does, but most Gardaí will use common sense. If you're walking back from Fine Wines with cans under your arm and clearing heading home, they'll usually let you away.
    As johnryano says, if you're sitting on a wall holding a closed can in your hand staring around you then they're gonna assume you're drinking in public.

Also, I think bottles need to be in a bag regardless of whether you're walking home or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

There was 3 of us walking from one house to another in College Court. The only drink they could find on us was a bottle of unopened and sealed wine although admittedly it was not in a bag. We were made pour it out. Then the cheek of the guard ''look i'll give the fine to you and sure it looks like you have 2 lovely friends ye can all split it together''.
    I was fuming!!.He was on a complete and utter power trip.He took down my d.o.b wrong but don't think thats enough to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

There was 3 of us walking from one house to another in College Court. The only drink they could find on us was a bottle of unopened and sealed wine although admittedly it was not in a bag. We were made pour it out. Then the cheek of the guard ''look i'll give the fine to you and sure it looks like you have 2 lovely friends ye can all split it together''.
    I was fuming!!.He was on a complete and utter power trip.He took down my d.o.b wrong but don't think thats enough to get away with it.

Should have held it up beside the guards face and took a close up picture of the unopened cap on it.

I wouldnt pay the fine if i were you. Your friends are witnesses

• Advertisement

You could appeal it, that sounds like a pure dickhead of a Garda to be honest. I'm sure you could use that d.o.b thing as a way out.

Advertisement