Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

What makes it even more ridiculous is that it wasn't even me that had the wine, it was written to me because I was the one that protested the most. When challeged he said sure I must have thrown my drink into the hedge before he came.
    I can't afford to not pay it and have to go to court because firstly I need to go to America and secondly I need Garda Vetting. As far as I know this doesn't appear on my record as long as I pay the fine, does anyone know?.
    Just to add even more farce to the story, the docket appears to be originally written out to someone else but their name scribbled out and mine filled in instead.
    I'd have no problem paying it and taking it on the chin if I had been caught with drink in my hand and the guard didn't act like such a prick (although after I got the fine, I hopped onto the bandwagon).

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

cup of tea wrote: »
    What makes it even more ridiculous is that it wasn't even me that had the wine, it was written to me because I was the one that protested the most. When challeged he said sure I must have thrown my drink into the hedge before he came.
    I can't afford to not pay it and have to go to court because firstly I need to go to America and secondly I need Garda Vetting. As far as I know this doesn't appear on my record as long as I pay the fine, does anyone know?.
    Just to add even more farce to the story, the docket appears to be originally written out to someone else but their name scribbled out and mine filled in instead.
    I'd have no problem paying it and taking it on the chin if I had been caught with drink in my hand and the guard didn't act like such a prick (although after I got the fine, I hopped onto the bandwagon).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it being a civil offense not criminal means it wouldn't appear on your garda record at all. It would only become a criminal offense if you didn't pay a fine imposed by the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

It would only become a criminal offense if you didn't pay a fine imposed by the courts.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking, just need some reassurance!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

cup of tea wrote: »
    It would only become a criminal offense if you didn't pay a fine imposed by the courts.

That's what I'm thinking, just need some reassurance!

It might at the very least be worth taking the docket to the Garda station (well, safer to take a duplicate just in case...) and making your case to them. You'd never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

423561_3506468859105_1193292379_3557170_1609798603_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Seems you just got a dickhead of a policeman!
    I was working for the M&M's for half the week and we were told just to let people know when the Garda were about and that it's a fine for drinking but all the police we passed in college court, Milford, Briarfield and Elm Park were quite sound with the drink thing. They were simply happy that we were there helping along, they gave out no fines apart from a few who had opened cans/bottles and were clearly off their faces.

You were just unlucky I reckon :/
    Think you need to do something about that if you got a fine though cause that's not right at all!
    Hope you get it sorted!

On a bitch note...Sprained my ankle and bruised the bone doing the M&M's and am in complete agony...Not happy at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

wish the stables stayed open late on a sunday. always closed by the time i arrive in limerick. I do be always hankering for a drink after the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

what exactly is m&m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kirbz

johnryano wrote: »
    what exactly is m&m?

Its a chocolate :P Nah its kinda the student patrol during freshers and rag week that pretty much make sure we don't make tits of ourselves and get arrested :)

Who's in it? Who decides who's in it? Do they get paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Who's in it?

Students who put themselves forward for it.
    Who decides who's in it?

IIRC, the welfare officer gets the final call.
    Do they get paid?

I believe so!

So who welfare officer decides who gets to be in the student vigilante team? I wonder what qualifications or experience they need. What kind of power do they have? Let's say I'm one of those types that like to smash glass bottles and tip over wheelie bins, what can they do to stop me?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

So who welfare officer decides who gets to be in the student vigilante team? I wonder what qualifications or experience they need. What kind of power do they have? Let's say I'm one of those types that like to smash glass bottles and tip over wheelie bins, what can they do to stop me?

I presume the main welfare officer, Ms Feeney? Don't worry- it's not some high flying, pensionable, company car position (the patrol that is).

They don't need qualifications, they are volunteers who are giving up their time to try and keep order around the area to minimise garda involvement, while being slagged for being 'buzzkills', 'fun police' (obviously much worse than this, but you get the idea) etc.

Their function is to take care of potentially escalating situations before the Gardai show up. This doesn't mean they have pepperspray and nightsticks, it means they try and talk down any groups who are behaving in a way that could get themselves in trouble. Fairly thankless stuff I'm told, but quite effective apparently.

If you want to tip over bins or break bottles beside a primary school, they are entitled to have a word, and if you continue, call the guards.

Johnny-fatality got it all basically.

Myself and a number of people I know, alongside a few I didn't know put themselves forward for it and had a bit of training. Paddy Rockett then put us all into a roster and told us what days we'd be working, with whom and where.

We do get paid, minimum wage but we did work from 10pm till 4am, so we kinda deserved it really haha.

It was only on for charity week and sometimes freshers week anyway :)

We just had to go around, telling people to hide their drink if the guards were round, keep the noise down if the guards were round and if there was any suspicious behaviour or behaviour that could be harmful to others (fights obviously and bla bla bla), we had an immediate line to the garda to call them.

We were told we were just there to make sure there were no injuries, accidents or anything that could potentially ruin Rag week.

Got awful abuse for it really.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Aragneer wrote: »

We do get paid, minimum wage but we did work from 10pm till 4am, so we kinda deserved it really haha.

Got awful abuse for it really.. :/

That's the job in a nutshell - get paid to take sh*te from people whose benefit you're there for. Considering it's minimum wage, and that the patrols function effectively, I think it's a decent scheme.

However, I think that those participating in the patrols know what they're let in for, so while the 'awful abuse' is unwarranted, it comes with the territory and is part of the whole charity week atmosphere.

I'd like to hear a counter argument for their existence, because I don't see any from my perspective. Especially considering the importance of reputation/local relations underlined by many posters on this forum, it seems like a logical scheme to fund to address this area.

Thanks for the work Aragneer, I appreciate the sentiment and resilience of your crowd, whatever about the eventual outcomes (like a referee in a match, these schemes are usually notable for the absence of incidents, so it's hard to tell what 'would have happened' otherwise).

That's the job in a nutshell - get paid to take sh*te from people whose benefit you're there for. Considering it's minimum wage, and that the patrols function effectively, I think it's a decent scheme.

Thanks for the work Aragneer, I appreciate the sentiment and resilience of your crowd, whatever about the eventual outcomes (like a referee in a match, these schemes are usually notable for the absence of incidents, so it's hard to tell what 'would have happened' otherwise).

Yeah we were quite happy with what we did and we cleaned up a few places with our litter picker :)
    Ha you're welcome, the Garda even said we were doing a good job so as long as we're appreciated by some people, we're quite happy. But thanks for the appreciative attitude, it's not often we get that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I don't mean to stray of the current topic but it annoyed me today,
    And has done many times previous, and has no doubt been mentioned before...
    I was pushed for time going to the Kemmy this morning,
    And still pretty tired as it was a 10 O Clock lecture Monday morning.
    All you want is a smooth trip from your front door to room you are going to, generally, a relatively easy thing to achieve, bar being held up crossing a road or two but that's expected...
    When getting onto the college ground itself, again,
    It's going to be busy around the hour mark,
    I don't mind that as well,
    Generally that's unavoidable also...
    A simple 2 way system is all I ask for when walking up and down paths, so people can travel both ways with ease, especially at lecture change over times when paths do get congested...
    Not a hard thing to do really, perhaps slows things up a small bit but it ensures both sides are going as fast as each other, a nice 50:50 ratio.
    I encounter this most on the stretch going down the path from the Courtyard to Library, annoying but having encountered it many times before, I get over it fairly fast...
    What I absolutely hate though, and is beyond unnecessary, is stopping in these areas at the busy times and talking to one another, as if it's only yourselves there!
    Queues of people both sides of it whilst there is a group standing right in the middle of a path making no attempt to move in any way to make it easier for anyone to pass...
    The icing on the cake though was walking down the steps from the Library to Kemmy with 4 girls walking against me, four a breast, until I had to walk through them to make them move, not walking in the muddy grass...
    Not when it's soley me and them on the path.
    Made my lecture bang on 10 O Clock though,
    Which cheered me up a bit,
    Luckily for me, it's easy enough to do so :D
    Anyway off to Maths at Jean Monnet in Main Building,
    So shan't have much traffic getting there from the library one would hope! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Driving in this morning and took me 15 minutes to get up William Street with the new traffic lights... Was late for free parking!

They should really reduce the €3 charge given the recession etc

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tones66

Does anyone know if all them fines are going to be followed up? what are the chances of not paying the €75 and them actually following you up? GUARDS ARE UNEDUCATED PIGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Tones66 wrote: »
    GUARDS ARE UNEDUCATED PIGS.
    1. That's completely irrelevant.
    2. That's not true. Some are stupid, but most are educated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Tones66

The VAST majority have a bare ****ty leaving cert. if u wish to call that an education then congrats. But I stand by my generalisation. If you're pc police stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Did you get a fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Jester252 wrote: »
    Did you get a fine
    Of course he did! :D

Why else would he be pissed off with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Daniel S wrote: »
    Jester252 wrote: »
    Did you get a fine
    Of course he did! :D

Why else would he be pissed off with them?
    I wish text did condescending

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

oh UL, going on ten years since I was last there. Thinking back I can honestly say I didn't like the place. I liked Castletroy the area, although from what I hear it is full scumbags these days.

See what i can remember,

the stables, could not get a good pint of anything in there, had one friend who said the bottle beer even tasted off.

the paddocks good for a cure to constipation,

The SU shop had two fat boilers working there and aul one looked like their mother, probably dead now.

Women a few nice ones in business courses but I think it was nearly 2-1 in favour of boys. For the guys sake hope that's changed or its off in to the city to hook up with the local girls:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

If I hear about that library survey one more god damn time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I think today is the last day..
    Regardless, it's head wrecking alright,
    Even if you close the pop up box it opens a page for you...
    I wouldn't mind as much, but I've actually done it!

I left a whole, unopened 50 gram pouch of Samson tobacco behind me in Stables last night :O :( kill me now. Other than that huge catastrophe though, pretty good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kirbz

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    I left a whole, unopened 50 gram pouch of Samson tobacco behind me in Stables last night :O :( kill me now. Other than that huge catastrophe though, pretty good night.
    AWH NOOOEES and you were being so generous with your tabaccy cause you had so much :( least overall the night was good, I'd like to think it was myself and Cawcheen fantastic presence :)

• Advertisement

due to my diminishing supply i'd like all the tobacco i gave away returned :P

Advertisement