Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

sup_dude wrote: »
    I dunno, I've been there just about every day for the last couple of weeks and it's been grand in terms of noise.

Maybe its just me so. I always encounter a few people talking or someone rustling away for hours on end. Can never get anything done in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭shano_88

Ya, queing at half 7 really doesnt sound appealing to me. Thats madness really. Whats it like in the evening of study week? Still the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

shano_88 wrote: »
    Ya, queing at half 7 really doesnt sound appealing to me. Thats madness really. Whats it like in the evening of study week? Still the same?

It's evening now and it's only really cleared enough for available seats to be obvious in the last half hour. Study week will be packed til everyone is kicked out I would imagine. Although, as I was giving out about before, the opening hours are crap this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Are people allowed to leave books on the table then leave for the day? Saw people today just leaving copies on tables and then not coming back for hours.

Are people allowed to leave books on the table then leave for the day? Saw people today just leaving copies on tables and then not coming back for hours.

Strictly speaking, no. There are asshats that do that though and get away with it. Worse is when people save places for their friends. :mad:

My advice is, if you haven't seen them come back in an hour and a half, shove the books off the desk. This gives them plenty of time to go for lunch or whatever, which is fair enough. However, people tend to go in for 8 and then go back to bed for a few hours...

There was a girl across from me during the week and there was only two books in the desk beside her, no laptop or anything. A girl I know spent about an hour looking for a seat so I pointed out the one that had the books on it. She asked the girl across from me if it was free. The girl said no, the girl had gone for food a while ago. My friend sat down and said she'd get up whenever the girl came back or when a seat freed up, and the girl across from me was giving her daggers. Sure enough, five minutes later, someone left and my friend took that desk instead. About an hour later, the girl who "went for food" came back, picked up the books and put them on the desk of the girl across from me. Turns out she was saving a seat. Pity my friend didn't stay there... The girl was annoying anyways. I cracked my hands because they get stiff and start to seize every few hours. The looks she gave me was something along the lines of http://cdn29.elitedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/large33.jpg which would have been fine if it was a reaction but she continued to do it until I took notice of her :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Got nobody to go to DIE with on Thursday, sickened is an understatement :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

As study week fast approaches need to adjust the bodys sleeping pattern :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

What's the story about study week next week? Do we have lectures and tutorials? I know labs aren't on now as they're finished this week but what about tuts and lecs?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    What's the story about study week next week? Do we have lectures and tutorials? I know labs aren't on now as they're finished this week but what about tuts and lecs?

If your lecturers haven't said anything, you don't have lectures or tutorials next week.

Some lecturers hold extra classes in Week 13, but it's a module-by-module thing.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    If your lecturers haven't said anything, you don't have lectures or tutorials next week.

Some lecturers hold extra classes in Week 13, but it's a module-by-module thing.

Ah understood then. Looks like I only have 2 lectures next week. Could be more as I don't know anything else for my remaining module which is tomorrow!

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Do you need to pass all aspects of a modules assessments to pass the module overall? Say if I did terrible in the exam but had got over 40% from assignments or vice versa would I pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Do you need to pass all aspects of a modules assessments to pass the module overall? Say if I did terrible in the exam but had got over 40% from assignments or vice versa would I pass?

It depends on the lecturer, but unless said otherwise you need to pass all aspects of the module to pass overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Where's my Christmas tree!? I'll never get to see it looking lovely in the library now! It feels like we're finishing earlier than usual. :(

Think I may have a touch of the auld SAD. Hate when the weather is like this, muggy and dreary as well as the fact that it's darker sooner. Always feel unmotivated to get any work done. Just feel like going to bed on days like this!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Think I may have a touch of the auld SAD. Hate when the weather is like this, muggy and dreary as well as the fact that it's darker sooner. Always feel unmotivated to get any work done. Just feel like going to bed on days like this!:D

Damn it! If the Christmas tree was there it would lift your spirits!
    In previous years the tree and the ****e weather have spurred me on, working hand in hand to keep me in the library until stupid O Clock.
    Get onto reception and get them to send out a 'Missing Xmas Tree' email..

I'm starting to really hate my supervisor...

Had presentations yesterday, mine went badly, supervisor got brunt of questions because my course director knew that I hadn't a clue what was going on. Went in for a meeting today, supervisor asks me where I got that idea from and did I not that it was actually this other idea... despite the fact she has my page proposal, my ten page proposal and my ethics forms, all which outline what I thought the project was going to be on, all which she said was fine (except ethics which she didn't bother reading). So now I've to essentially do an entirely new FYP by Thursday because that's when the last ethics is due and most of that has to be done by tomorrow for a pilot study.

So that's twelve weeks of work down the drain, and another twelve weeks of work has to be crammed into two days. All my lit review is useless, everything. Wouldn't mind if the other lecturers didn't just say in the end that it just needs more direction. Oh no, she had to go change everything, and then blame me for not understanding her in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

sup_dude wrote: »
    I'm starting to really hate my supervisor...

Had presentations yesterday, mine went badly, supervisor got brunt of questions because my course director knew that I hadn't a clue what was going on. Went in for a meeting today, supervisor asks me where I got that idea from and did I not that it was actually this other idea... despite the fact she has my page proposal, my ten page proposal and my ethics forms, all which outline what I thought the project was going to be on, all which she said was fine (except ethics which she didn't bother reading). So now I've to essentially do an entirely new FYP by Thursday because that's when the last ethics is due and most of that has to be done by tomorrow for a pilot study.

So that's twelve weeks of work down the drain, and another twelve weeks of work has to be crammed into two days. All my lit review is useless, everything. Wouldn't mind if the other lecturers didn't just say in the end that it just needs more direction. Oh no, she had to go change everything, and then blame me for not understanding her in the first place...

Think this could be your problem

Apparently the bus into town is now €2?! FFS -.-

Think this could be your problem

Yeah, but that was because everything kept getting changed every time I went in. I went in one week with stuff, and that would be fine. I'd go in the next week and she'd ask why would I have that, and then I'd take it out for the week after and she'd ask why wasn't it there... Plus, the supervisor had my proposal (where I wrote out what I thought was happening), my ten page (where I wrote out what I thought was happening in an awful lot of detail), both of which she corrected and signed off on, and my ethics which she didn't read but had for two weeks, which also detailed what I thought was going on. Not once did she say anything about it. The only indication that there was anything wrong was an email she sent that said "you need to rethink your title". That was it, nothing else in the email. Not even a hi. She didn't even reply to the email asking her to explain.

Damn it! If the Christmas tree was there it would lift your spirits!
    In previous years the tree and the ****e weather have spurred me on, working hand in hand to keep me in the library until stupid O Clock.
    Get onto reception and get them to send out a 'Missing Xmas Tree' email..
    I'm at home though (I travel in from Clare) so I'm too lazy into Limerick to go to the library.:p I'll probably go into there on the day of my exam though, so the Christmas tree better be there on that day! Still, I can send them passive aggressive emails about the lack of a Christmas tree. Or emails that have veiled references to Christmas trees :pac: I don't mind so much when it's raining. I used to love going in on the mornings when it was really quiet and raining outside. I'd get a seat near the window and just listen to some music while doing work. LOVED THAT!:)

• Advertisement

iLaura wrote: »

Looks like it as well. Got the bus to city centre and it was €2 for a single trip..

:eek: Going to be waiting for the green bendy bus in future so! It's €1.60.

:eek: Going to be waiting for the green bendy bus in future so! It's €1.60.

It'll be cheaper to get a taxi into town on nights out these days now.

Too bad the green bus doesn't go out as far as Dooradoyle Not that I'm out there very often, but still!

It'll be cheaper to get a taxi into town on nights out these days now.

Too bad the green bus doesn't go out as far as Dooradoyle Not that I'm out there very often, but still!

The green bus is the best. The drivers on Eurobus are really customer friendly aswell, never had a bad experience with them.

6.5 hours spent studying a single set of lecture notes. SIX AND A HALF ****ING HOURS! Go die, metabolism. Go burn in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

6.5 hours spent studying a single set of lecture notes. SIX AND A HALF ****ING HOURS! Go die, metabolism. Go burn in hell.

that's a lot of peoples morning sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

Do you have to complete all assignments in a module to pass the module?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Do you have to complete all assignments in a module to pass the module?

Depends on the module.

Usually not, but some lecturers do require you to. If it was a requirement, it should be in the module outline.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

Thanks

• Advertisement

Anyone have a link for the newest Cite it Right? All I can find is the 2005 version :/ I had the new (purple) one bookmarked but now apparently 'the requested url was not found on this server' -.-

Advertisement