Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I don't get the logic behind having a book that is only available to rent out for 3hrs...? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I don't get the logic behind having a book that is only available to rent out for 3hrs...? :confused:

They're apparently the 'high demand' books, or some of the more valuable ones

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

iLaura wrote: »
    They're apparently the 'high demand' books, or some of the more valuable ones

Yeah there are loads of these, some books cost hundreds of euros to buy, I had a book today that had 1 hour loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Is an over due 3 hour loan book going to keep charging me 1 euro every hour its overdue? :eek:

Yeah, it will! It happened to me last semester :(

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

If you take these sort of books out at the end of the day the loan carries over to the next morning if thats any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Is it possible to reschedule an end of semester exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

At this point no. The deadline to apply for it was 3pm on Thursday past.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Is it possible to reschedule an end of semester exam?

For everybody else? Because of friends wedding? No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

jamo2oo9 wrote: »

To be honest I think it's good because then you don't have people hoarding books for weeks when you need it to get an essay done!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The idea behind a 3 hour loan is that you can make notes from it or photocopy the bits you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

While I was queuing to leave the library today, I noticed how weirdly awful a lot of people are at using the entry/exit card readers. People do the strangest stuff, like insisting on swiping the card from side to side (instead of just holding it above the reader) while the machine says ''please wait'' and then get confused when it doesn't register their card. Oh and also, if you don't have your card out, don't block the gate. And stop congregating in big groups at the bottom of the stairs on the ground floor. And stay out of my seat.

• Company Representative Posts: 5 Verified rep ULlibrary

We know we get 'some' things right e.g postgrad reading room, zoning, swipe access and other improvements put in place in recent years but without your feedback we won't know exactly what things are most important to you. For example would you prioritise ebooks over more copies of printed books, is earlier opening more useful than later? Have your say about the UL Library services in our satisfaction survey running until Nov. 21st

NOT ALLOWED ENTER URL HERE SO PLEASE VISIT UL LIBRARY SITE TO GET THE SURVEY LINK

We have prizes for completing the survey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

ULlibrary wrote: »
    We know we get 'some' things right e.g postgrad reading room, zoning, swipe access and other improvements put in place in recent years but without your feedback we won't know exactly what things are most important to you. For example would you prioritise ebooks over more copies of printed books, is earlier opening more useful than later? Have your say about the UL Library services in our satisfaction survey running until Nov. 21st

NOT ALLOWED ENTER URL HERE SO PLEASE VISIT UL LIBRARY SITE TO GET THE SURVEY LINK

Opening at 7:30am would be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

ULlibrary wrote: »

Is it possible to send out reminder emails about books being due the day before they're due or the day they are due rather than the day after?

iLaura wrote: »
    Is it possible to send out reminder emails about books being due the day before they're due or the day they are due rather than the day after?

I have a book out for over a year. Got no warning of the book overdue so hoping that will stand to me.

What's the chances of you letting my fine from a year ago slide? I need some books but don't have 20 euro :)

YFlyer wrote: »
    I have a book out for over a year. Got no warning of the book overdue so hoping that will stand to me.

You had a book out for a year? And you had no idea it was late?
    Honestly there's no excuse really, libraries are simple to understand.

You had a book out for a year? And you had no idea it was late?
    Honestly there's no excuse really, libraries are simple to understand.

Realised that I had the book recently.

A year or a year and a day will not make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What's the chances of you letting my fine from a year ago slide? I need some books but don't have 20 euro :)

You had a fine for a year? And you haven't paid it?
    Honestly, there's no excuse really. Libraries are simple to understand.

Shhh :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Can't imagine what the fine would be for not returning a book for a year :P

Especially a short loan book :eek:

YFlyer wrote: »
    Especially a short loan book :eek:
    I hear Ulster Bank are being kind with their mortgages, you may wanna go in and see about one for that book loan...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

Speaking of Ulster Bank, does the bank on campus do foreign exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Speaking of Ulster Bank, does the bank on campus do foreign exchange?

Yes, but it'll fairly limited as to what you can get iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

They'd have sterling though?

House inspection tomorrow, spent all day cleaning my room, the two bathrooms, sweeping all the floors and scrubbing the cooker to get all the black stuff off it. The kitchen/sitting room is still a mess and I'm not going to be there for the evening. I've an awful feeling that that's the way it's going to stay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

sup_dude wrote: »
    House inspection tomorrow, spent all day cleaning my room, the two bathrooms, sweeping all the floors and scrubbing the cooker to get all the black stuff off it. The kitchen/sitting room is still a mess and I'm not going to be there for the evening. I've an awful feeling that that's the way it's going to stay...

They don't care about mess do they as long as nothing's broken? Our place is a tip but nothings broken :P it's organized mess.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

They don't care about mess do they as long as nothing's broken? Our place is a tip but nothings broken :P it's organized mess.

They care.

Like, clutter is fine, but dirty dishes, dirty worktops, dirty cooker, general rubbish in places, they'll bitch about that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

A tip, if you want to be a bit of a shhneak...you can pay €1 off your fine at the desk and voila you can take out books again as long as its under the 20!. I've done it once or twice ;)

Advertisement