Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Anyone know if SAA are open next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Ya they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Is the library a 9am opening time tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Had my first exam today. Christ almighty, they wouldn't even allow you to enter the exam if you were wearing coats or hats. Same thing if you took the back of your calculator with you...

They are really serious about these rules :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Had my first exam today. Christ almighty, they wouldn't even allow you to enter the exam if you were wearing coats or hats. Same thing if you took the back of your calculator with you...

They are really serious about these rules :eek:

You can't wear a coat or hat in, and you can't leave it outside?! All because they're worried about someone falling over?! It's the middle of winter! Whatever about the summer exams, it's just ridiculous for the winter ones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

Is the library a 9am opening time tomorrow?

It's open at 10 am

sup_dude wrote: »
    You can't wear a coat or hat in, and you can't leave it outside?! All because they're worried about someone falling over?! It's the middle of winter! Whatever about the summer exams, it's just ridiculous for the winter ones...

Yeah it's a bit ridiculous really. Luckily I had my exam in EGO10 where there is a space beside it that you can dump your stuff

Is the cafe beside the library open today?

Is the cafe beside the library open today?

I'm nearly sure I saw it open last Sunday

I'm nearly sure I saw it open last Sunday

Alright, it just that I don't want to spend the entire day in the library will no place to eat bar the Spar beside Plassey

• Advertisement

I presume that there's going to be free seats in the library today? I'm only getting ready to leave and won't be there for 10 when it's opening (i think)

I presume that there's going to be free seats in the library today? I'm only getting ready to leave and won't be there for 10 when it's opening (i think)

I'm still in bed and I don't intend to get up any time soon. It's Sunday, all of my housemates went home last night and Plassey was very quiet last night

I'm just gonna chance it anyway

I'm still in bed and I don't intend to get up any time soon. It's Sunday, all of my housemates went home last night and Plassey was very quiet last night

I'm just gonna chance it anyway

I'm only studying one module in the library and I'm not leaving until i've it covered..

...Will probably give up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

You know, I can understand not being allowed to have phones or pencil cases in the exams but ffs why can't I bring my coat in and leave it at the back of my chair where it's out of the way :mad: I'd even let them search it if it meant I could keep it. How in the name of god do they expect me to do a 40 minute walk in this weather without a coat.

However, got my revenge. There are some cranky tyrants of invigilators around the place that go mad with power. Now, to be fair, the ones I had in PESS yesterday were lovely, but the c block ones... UGH. Every year they annoy me but I finally got some minor revenge. It's always been ok to walk through c block when exams were on as long as you're by yourself or not talking. If i was ever in a large group, i'd avoid it, but I'd go through it if I was alone. So I did this yesterday, like I'd done for the entire 4 years of my undergrad with no problem, and cranky tyrant stops me.
    Tyrant: "You know, you really shouldn't be walking through here"
    Me: "I've done it for the last 5 years and it has never been a problem"
    Tyrant: "Well, the rules have been there the last 5 years. How would you like it if you were doing an exam and people were traipsing around out here?"
    Me: *smiled* "It honestly never bothered me."

I walked on and left her fuming. Ffs she made more noise giving out to me than if she'd just let me through :mad: It was 3 o'clock anyway so not like it was in the middle of the exam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I'd suggest everyone reads the exam rules again because there is a BIG clampdown this year.

Where do you get the rules?

Where do you get the rules?

The student handbook.

Entry to End-of-Semester Examinations

It is the responsibility of each student to comply with examinations regulations as detailed in the Handbook
    of Academic Regulations & Procedures. Breaches of the regulations will be referred to the Disciplinary
    Process as provided in the Code of Conduct.

To gain entry to end-of-semester exams you must produce a current, valid UL student identity card (with
    photograph and ID number) that corresponds to your registration record.

Therefore, you should ensure your
    registrations are accurate prior to the commencement of exams. View them on any of the available PCs
    located throughout the university.

Remember to bring your ID card! If you are not registered, you will be
    required to complete a late registration form during the exam. By signing this form, you are agreeing to the
    late registration fine of €200.

Students should note that unauthorised material including bags, jackets, mobile phones, unauthorised
    electronic devices, calculator covers and pencil cases may not be brought into the examination centre.
    These
    items and any other personal possessions should not be left unattended outside examination centres for
    security (risk of theft) and health and safety reasons (persons tripping). Best advice is to leave such items at
    home or in your student locker.

Is the library packed? Pretty cold out and I dunno if it's worth it going out now only to find it full and have to walk back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Is the library packed? Pretty cold out and I dunno if it's worth it going out now only to find it full and have to walk back.

Friend of mine said there were one or two seats. I didn't bother going, just went to Red Raisins instead so don't know if they're still there

sup_dude wrote: »
    Friend of mine said there were one or two seats. I didn't bother going, just went to Red Raisins instead so don't know if they're still there

Well I needn't bother the effort then. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I generally would be the last to complain about exam rules, I'm generally pretty happy to go with the flow.

But if they are actually clamping down on coats??? Right now, it is absolutely pissing rain. And it likely will be tomorrow morning too. And I imagine the temperatures will be something akin to fúcking Russia.

Do they expect me to walk all the way down to college without a coat and then attempt to do the exam shivering and freezing? I think that would be a bit ridiculous.

I guess previous breaches of regulations led to the current situation.

Its not ideal but unfortunately everyone suffers from the actions of a small few.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I generally would be the last to complain about exam rules, I'm generally pretty happy to go with the flow.

But if they are actually clamping down on coats??? Right now, it is absolutely pissing rain. And it likely will be tomorrow morning too. And I imagine the temperatures will be something akin to fúcking Russia.

Do they expect me to walk all the way down to college without a coat and then attempt to do the exam shivering and freezing? I think that would be a bit ridiculous.

This is what annoys me too. I really don't have a problem with the phones, pencil cases, etc. But how are we meant to cope with the walk down in weather this bad? It's so silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Damn I have to meet my FYP supervisor before my exam so I guess I'll be bringing nothing to that. On top of that I'll have to walk to the bus which is a 20 minute walk to get into limerick and then UL with no phone, jacket nothing. I was hoping the SU would set up the temporary system like they did over the summer exams but I haven't heard anything.

BTW, in the summer exams they made me take off my jacket which pissed me off because I was pretty certain they hadn't specified. Thankfully my brother was with me so I managed to throw the jacket to him for safe keeping because they wouldn't even let me just put it outside the hall. He isn't in UL any more so I've no where to put any stuff that I might need. I won't even be able to study before hand! I'll just be on the bus holding my pencils for 50 minutes! Really they should just allow people to put their stuff outside but warn them that if anything goes missing the university can't be blamed. Also, anyone who's cheating at university level is an idiot and is making the rest suffer!

Damn I have to meet my FYP supervisor before my exam so I guess I'll be bringing nothing to that. On top of that I'll have to walk to the bus which is a 20 minute walk to get into limerick and then UL with no phone, jacket nothing. I was hoping the SU would set up the temporary system like they did over the summer exams but I haven't heard anything.

BTW, in the summer exams they made me take off my jacket which pissed me off because I was pretty certain they hadn't specified. Thankfully my brother was with me so I managed to throw the jacket to him for safe keeping because they wouldn't even let me just put it outside the hall. He isn't in UL any more so I've no where to put any stuff that I might need. I won't even be able to study before hand! I'll just be on the bus holding my pencils for 50 minutes! Really they should just allow people to put their stuff outside but warn them that if anything goes missing the university can't be blamed. Also, anyone who's cheating at university level is an idiot and is making the rest suffer!

They say that they forbid those who leave their stuff beside the exam halls due to risk of theft and health & safety reasons. I've most of my exams in EGO10 so I'm grand really as I can dump my stuff in the space beside it

This is what annoys me too. I really don't have a problem with the phones, pencil cases, etc. But how are we meant to cope with the walk down in weather this bad? It's so silly

Student lockers?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

AFAIK the SU were meant to set up a drop off service like they did last year. It's something we brought up at a student council meeting. It's not particularly safe to have students walking in or out of college in the dark with no phone on them and having no way of contacting someone if there's an emergency etc.

I had an exam yesterday in Schuman and we all just left our stuff inside the front door and no one said anything to us. One of the lads in my course took off his jacket inside the exam room and then left it up at the top by the invigilators desk and there was no problem. It does depend on the kinda people you have though :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

iLaura wrote: »
    AFAIK the SU were meant to set up a drop off service like they did last year. It's something we brought up at a student council meeting. It's not particularly safe to have students walking in or out of college in the dark with no phone on them and having no way of contacting someone if there's an emergency etc.

I had an exam yesterday in Schuman and we all just left our stuff inside the front door and no one said anything to us. One of the lads in my course took off his jacket inside the exam room and then left it up at the top by the invigilators desk and there was no problem. It does depend on the kinda people you have though :/
    I'd hate to chance it though and then be told I have to put my stuff somewhere else! I haven't heard the SU announce it so I don't know what's going on with that.

Someone mentioned lockers too. I tried to get a locker at the start of last year and the only place that had free lockers was the Kemmy building I literally looked everywhere else and no other lockers were available. I left it in the end because it would've just been such a hassle to walk to the Kemmy building as I never had class even near there. There are loads of lockers in the older buildings that aren't even in use that should have their locks removed but Saa told me they couldn't remove them as they didn't know if they were in use or not despite getting me to fill out a form that gave information as to my year and the exact locker I was taking. The locker system in UL is a joke.

On a totally unrelated topic anyone having trouble accessing the UL library database happened to me yesterday around the same time that the page just kept loading and loading an then I got an error message.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I'd hate to chance it though and then be told I have to put my stuff somewhere else! I haven't heard the SU announce it so I don't know what's going on with that.

Someone mentioned lockers too. I tried to get a locker at the start of last year and the only place that had free lockers was the Kemmy building I literally looked everywhere else and no other lockers were available. I left it in the end because it would've just been such a hassle to walk to the Kemmy building as I never had class even near there. There are loads of lockers in the older buildings that aren't even in use that should have their locks removed but Saa told me they couldn't remove them as they didn't know if they were in use or not despite getting me to fill out a form that gave information as to my year and the exact locker I was taking. The locker system in UL is a joke.

On a totally unrelated topic anyone having trouble accessing the UL library database happened to me yesterday around the same time that the page just kept loading and loading an then I got an error message.

If you drop Mike Forde the academic advisor an email he should be able to let you know.

In regards to the lockers, the SU is looking at taking those over too.

• Advertisement

THIS! I tried to get a locker in 4th year at the start of the semester and there were no free ones and I was never in Kemmy. Not everyone has a locker so saying to leave coats in lockers is just stupid. It would be fine if they sorted the locker system but it's an absolute joke right now.

Advertisement