Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

You might find these prices interesting

Sainbury's
    Eagle Hawk Chardonnay 4.15stg €4.6
    Oyster Bay SB 5.91stg €6.5

Down south
    Eagle Hawk Chardonnay €9.95
    Oyster Bay SB €12.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

The simple fact here is that the longer everyone goes up the north and spends their money in the UK the longer our economy down south will take to recover, all we are doing is aiding the UK's recovery. Granted its easy to preach but that's the truth of the matter. Don't whinge and say you are out of work and can't afford to shop down here when all your actions are doing is leading to more job losses in the south and further crippling our economy...
    I don't blame anyone for going up north but don't whinge about our lack of recovery when all the disposable we have is leaking north. Every euro spent down south helps everyone; employers, employees, government coffers etc etc

So in other words shop in Ireland - get ripped off - pay double the price on everything - have less money for bills and your family and help get the Irish economy back on it's feet.

I shop in NI every week and will continue to do so for the remainder of my life, I will never, ever buy even a Mars bar in a shop here anymore. The government has robbed me blind for years and I couldn't give a fiddlers **** about my failure to rebuild the Irish economy.

I'll not be treated like a spa ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Niamh78 wrote: »
    The simple fact here is that the longer everyone goes up the north and spends their money in the UK the longer our economy down south will take to recover, all we are doing is aiding the UK's recovery. Granted its easy to preach but that's the truth of the matter. Don't whinge and say you are out of work and can't afford to shop down here when all your actions are doing is leading to more job losses in the south and further crippling our economy...
    I don't blame anyone for going up north but don't whinge about our lack of recovery when all the disposable we have is leaking north. Every euro spent down south helps everyone; employers, employees, government coffers etc etc

I didn't start shopping in the north until the government brought in the new income tax levies. Now I'm expecting another hit in next months budget. I pay the majority of my wages in the higher tax bracket, shopping in the north saves me the money which I lose in income tax levies. Government mismanagement of our taxes has left us in the current situation. If you are looking for a scapegoat, don't blame people who shop in the north, blame those sitting in government jets/first class seats returning from the St Paddys holidays.

Sainbury's
    Eagle Hawk Chardonnay 4.15stg €4.6
    Oyster Bay SB 5.91stg €6.5

Down south
    Eagle Hawk Chardonnay €9.95
    Oyster Bay SB €12.95

Ridiculously isn't it, Oyster Bay is my favourite wine and have been buying it in the bucket loads in the last few weeks, there is a restaurant in Drogheda that charges €30 for a bottle of Oyster Bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Niamh78

Famous45 wrote: »
    So in other words shop in Ireland - get ripped off - pay double the price on everything - have less money for bills and your family and help get the Irish economy back on it's feet.

I shop in NI every week and will continue to do so for the remainder of my life, I will never, ever buy even a Mars bar in a shop here anymore. The government has robbed me blind for years and I couldn't give a fiddlers **** about my failure to rebuild the Irish economy.

I'll not be treated like a spa ever again.

Fair enough, that's your prerogative and no-one can dispute the 'value' that can be had in the Uk at present. I bet if the exchange rate flipped you wouldn't be saying the same thing. Never in your life, please...

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote: »
    I didn't start shopping in the north until the government brought in the new income tax levies. Now I'm expecting another hit in next months budget. I pay the majority of my wages in the higher tax bracket, shopping in the north saves me the money which I lose in income tax levies. Government mismanagement of our taxes has left us in the current situation. If you are looking for a scapegoat, don't blame people who shop in the north, blame those sitting in government jets/first class seats returning from the St Paddys holidays.

I agree, all I was saying is that money spent in the north helps the Uk govt coffers, I am not blaming anyone for going north...

Can somebody explain why a vacumn cleaner in Argos Ireland costs €519.99 and the same one in Argos UK/NI costs £195.79/€210 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Argos UK/NI - Dyson DC15 - £195.79/€210
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=dyson+dc+15&Submit=GO+%3E

Argos Ireland - Dyson DC15 - €519.99
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=dyson+dc+15&Submit=GO+%3E

I bet if the exchange rate flipped you wouldn't be saying the same thing

I'd still be saving a fortune. Everything that I purchase in the ROI is almost double the price.

And I say what I mean, I don't preach, never again is exactly what it means. I'd go without before I'd go down the shop to buy a litre of milk if I ran out. You keep getting your knickers ripped off u by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

DonJose wrote: »
    Can somebody explain why a vacumn cleaner in Argos Ireland costs €519.99 and the same one in Argos UK/NI costs £195.79/€210 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Argos UK/NI - Dyson DC15 - £195.79/€210
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=dyson+dc+15&Submit=GO+%3E

Argos Ireland - Dyson DC15 - €519.99
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=dyson+dc+15&Submit=GO+%3E

wow yeah I just looked up a few items that I want and price compared them, huge differences alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I travel to the north to shop at least once per month. I don't feel even slightly unpatriotic about this. I was in Asda, Belfast on Monday and bought (among other items) a large box of Surf washing powder for £3.00. I was in Tesco in Blanchardstown yesterday and a similar box was €8.29. How can this difference be justified?

• Advertisement

joolsveer wrote: »
    I travel to the north to shop at least once per month. I don't feel even slightly unpatriotic about this. I was in Asda, Belfast on Monday and bought (among other items) a large box of Surf washing powder for £3.00. I was in Tesco in Blanchardstown yesterday and a similar box was €8.29. How can this difference be justified?

The difference is WE'RE IRISH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭guessaname

Are Lidl and Aldi in north cheaper than in south? Is there a lidl or aldi in newry?

Surf washing powder for £3.00. I was in Tesco in Blanchardstown yesterday and a similar box was €8.29. How can this difference be justified?

I drive home with my partner from the North every week and I'd say her head does be wrecked as much as mine cause all I keep saying is how on earth is the price difference so vast and the other question why on earth would anyone with touching distance of the North still continue to shop in the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

No what we can whinge about is our government who are too blind to see the simple fact : UK VAT down, retail up. Ireland VAT up, retail down.

Are Lidl and Aldi in north cheaper than in south? Is there a lidl or aldi in newry?

There is a Lidl in Newry unsure of price difference.

If anybody is interested in seeing a dedicated Northern Ireland Bargains Alert forum, then please show your support at the link below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055429431

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Ridiculously isn't it, Oyster Bay is my favourite wine

+1

The only problem with shopping up North and I have no problems with doing it and do it myself is the shops in the South will continue to suffer and will eventually have to close.
    If the shops continue to close at the rate they currently are, we will be left with just a couple selling the same items with no competition (and if the exchange rate goes back down).
    Prime example if the furniture shops Classic gone, Jim Langons gone, Diamond reportably finding it very tough.
    These guys need to cop on and start selling their goods at a much reduced profit margin and hope they can "ride out the storm", at least they'll still be here when the ecomony turns.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    +1

The only problem with shopping up North and I have no problems with doing it and do it myself is the shops in the South will continue to suffer and will eventually have to close.
    If the shops continue to close at the rate they currently are, we will be left with just a couple selling the same items with no competition (and if the exchange rate goes back down).
    Prime example if the furniture shops Classic gone, Jim Langons gone, Diamond reportably finding it very tough.
    These guys need to cop on and start selling their goods at a much reduced profit margin and hope they can "ride out the storm", at least they'll still be here when the ecomony turns.

Do you not think they would have done this if they could? Do you think they are going out of business as a choice??? Retail seems to be the only sector that gets no govt support... builders, banks, public service all get help but retailers are just left to die where they stand. What chance do they have with Mary Coughlan as the minister in charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

guessaname wrote: »
    Save your money, there is very little reall difference in prices here and north of the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

AFAIK there's no Aldi in NI, only Lidl.

One of the problems retailers have is while the exchange is up where it is, people will always buy up North/UK for the savings.
    I think retailers have to come up with new ideas to get the customers back
    or they will go the wall.

One example is car dealers buying cars in the UK and selling them over here.
    Might stop some people going over to buy the cars themselves but only if the difference in price is small.
    If the car dealers sell the UK cars but with a large margin attached, then they will not stop people going abroad.
    It's a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Was in Smithfield yesterday and wanted to pick up some gum in the Spar there and it was completely shut down! If the Spar's are closing then what next.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Classic gone, Jim Langons gone, Diamond reportably finding it very tough.

You've just named some of the worst rip-off names in the business.
    Good riddance.

Looking for tyres for the motor in and around Newry, anyone have an experience of anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I think that spar has been closed because of flooding for a while. In fairness spar have a lot of decent offers on, and i think a lot of the big retailers in the south have started to pull their socks up, i know M&S are doing some really good deals and my local supermarket is selling shelves of products priced in sterling at the equivelent euro figure (eg 1.50stg - 1.50).
    but newry and lisburn and enniskillen are were everyone sees where the real bargains are to be had. and while everyones take home pay is dropping, it is hard to begrudge people heading north. I know i have done it a few times over the last year.
    As for bailing out the retail industry, well its been in decline for years, the biggest stores now in ireland are all UK stores. the indigenous stores cannot compete with the UK stores buying power. I can see a time when there will be no cornor shops apart from the big two conveniance stores, and just a lot of big UK / walmart / Asda supermarkets.
    There is an element of people feeling rightly ripped off for the last number of years (probably rightly so, but we only took any action in the last year or so) and it will take a lot for the retail sector down in the south to entice they northern travelling tax payers back south again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

guessaname wrote: »

there were reports in the papers a few months ago that they are 40% more expensive in the south :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Do you not think they would have done this if they could? Do you think they are going out of business as a choice??? Retail seems to be the only sector that gets no govt support... builders, banks, public service all get help but retailers are just left to die where they stand. What chance do they have with Mary Coughlan as the minister in charge?

Retailers have been helping themselves to grossly inflated profit margins at the expense of the Irish consumer for years now. Let them reap what they sew.

Didn't the ESRI do a study not too long ago which suggested the average differnence in price on basic goods between the Republic and the North should be 6% or 7%. This is accounting for higher wage and utilities costs in the Republic. Now even if the exchange rate went back to 65p to the euro people would still gain by shopping up the north! They're charging us what they like down here, have been for ages now. Theres something fundamentally wrong with that. The average consumer has a duty to themselves before any BS patriotism to do whats best for them and not for greedy retailers or politicians who take home 200,000-300,000 a year and really couldn't give f*** about us anyway.

From December 2007, until January 2009, Tesco, Dunnes Stores and SuperQuinn all jacked up their prices - Tesco by 4.9%, Dunnes by 3.5%, SuperQuinn by 2.8%. Now at a time when demand and prices are generally falling in Ireland, our supermarkets are INCREASING their prices by nearly 5%! You're finding fault with the wrong people i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Famous45 wrote: »
    Looking for tyres for the motor in and around Newry, anyone have an experience of anywhere?

I priced tyres recently for my sis who's down south and she was much better off buying locally than in the 3 or 4 places I tried up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

im looking to get a bose sounddock .

the price in hmv grafton street is a follows

199 (non portable)
    399 (portable)

has anybody noticed any when they where up there & what price ?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hammer1

Hey Guys!

I think there is definitely some bargains to be got up North.

I use a great guy based in Galway City. They go to the North twice a week and source what you need. I think they buy from Wholesalers and deliver to shops & Individuals.

They deliver around Connacht 2-3 times per week.

However, they do national deliveries too! (I am based in Dublin)

If you want his details, PM me.

Nice ad :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Cathooo wrote: »
    wow yeah I just looked up a few items that I want and price compared them, huge differences alright!
    Yeah anything major we need in Argos we get up North, we have both € and £ catalogues. Actually Next are worse then Argos for most stuff €20 difference in a duvet set sometimes.

Advertisement