Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway redesignation Phase #2 released

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Statutory instrument or not, the N8 redesignations at least seem to be going ahead. New ADS foundations and countdown signage poles were erected along the Glanmire Bypass last week, as well as new ADS and gore poles on the Watergrasshill bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Furet wrote: »
    Statutory instrument or not, the N8 redesignations at least seem to be going ahead. New ADS foundations and countdown signage poles were erected along the Glanmire Bypass last week, as well as new ADS and gore poles on the Watergrasshill bypass.

Knowing the NRA they'll put up green signs and replace them with blue ones a few weeks later - after the S.I has been passed. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is encouraging news. It seems the NRA are preparing all the roads for redesignation. They seem pretty confident it'll all be approved. I wonder if they've been told anything by the department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Who knows, it may have all been approved but the letters and formalities not sent out yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Was wondering what all the digging at the side of the road was about. I'm guessing having a few gantries or cantilevers is out of the question ?

Was wondering what all the digging at the side of the road was about. I'm guessing having a few gantries or cantilevers is out of the question ?

I'd like to see a gantry approaching Dunkettle. But I don't think we'll be seeing cantilevers.

• Advertisement

I noticed that a couple of signs on the Athlone bypass were replaced a few weeks ago, they didn't wait for the decision so these may need replacing soon.

To be fair the old ones had deteriated to the poing that they were useless.

Were they blue signs Dolanbaker?

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Were they blue signs Dolanbaker?
    No!, they were one for one replacements of the original ones.

I'm betting the N8 signs will be blue. They even have two poles up 450m from Dunkettle - exactly where the motorway is to end.

There won't be a gantry at Dunkettle by the looks of things, though there might be cantilevers at junctions 18 and 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Pisser Dignam

Good timing. A week before redesignation. Genius.

• Advertisement

Good timing. A week before redesignation. Genius.

Exactly, that's why I mentioned it!.

:mad:
    Furet wrote:
    I'm betting the N8 signs will be blue. They even have two poles up 450m from Dunkettle - exactly where the motorway is to end.

There won't be a gantry at Dunkettle by the looks of things, though there might be cantilevers at junctions 18 and 17.

Well, I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.

They do seem to be getting the road prepared for the redesgination though.

Is there any possible way they could cut off that dangerous onslip near Dunkettle? Are there really no alternative routes? :(

Also, does anybody have any updates on the N7, N20 and N18 redesignations, is anything being done on them? The NRA seem very confident that the N8 will get through (of course, there's no real reason why it shouldn't), but their decision to replace some Athlone Bypass signage with the same signage worries me. Is it a sign that the NRA doesn't think the Athlone Bypass is going to get through these redesignations? Or is the usual NRA money wasting?

I hope it's the latter (although that doesn't exactly make me feel a whole lot better).

It looks like the DoT has told the NRA to proceed. If the Athlone Bypass has new green signage, then it probably hasn't been redesignated. I can't see how this could get past An Bord Snip Nua - erecting new green signs only to be replaced with blue ones a few weeks later. So I'd say that'll stay the N6.

It also looks like there won't be much of transition period. The blue signs could go up overnight this time.

The problem with the Athlone Bypass theory is that they applied for delineation on the stretch.

Now obviously that is by no means a confirmation, but it certainly seems to suggest that it's going ahead.

I'll be optimistic in this case and simply put it down to NRA money wasting (after all, remember the Cashel-Mitchelstown scheme - they had all the "motorway ends", "start of motorway regulations" etc. signage up and it was removed for 3 months before being replaced again).

I really don't know though, the NRA are sending out conflicting messages.

Whatever the case, we can be pretty certain that the N8 stretch will be going through. I don't think they'll start erecting any actual signs until the S.I has been passed though. Maybe countdown signs, but they wouldn't have blue ADS signage up.

Will the Fermoy Bypass have some of its signage changed as well. I really want them to get rid of the awful "M8 (Toll)" signs. I also want the gore signs changed (the ones that say "R639"). The "M8(N8)" thing needs to be patched over (a relatively simple task - it doesn't require a brand new sign).

It's heartening to see that the old poles have been left up on the Fermoy Bypass' northern end. At least they'll be re-used.

I should clarify, it's only a couple of the smaller "town centre" signs before the N55 exit, they could have been erected by the local council.

I should clarify, it's only a couple of the smaller "town centre" signs at the N55 exit, they could have been erected by the local council.

Well then, I won't worry too much for the time being.

I just wish the DoT would give some indication of progress. I hate everything being behind closed doors.

The NRA are clearly pressing ahead with it anyway. I hope there isn't a three month waiting period like last time.

Something tells me the NRA are in for a right bollicking for pressing ahead with this without de minister's approval, 'cos the DoT seem none the wiser.

I don't know. This might actually put pressure on the minister to say "yes", because if he doesn't, a whole lotta money will have been wasted.

I hope so. I'm with the NRA on this one. But the DoT were not aware that the N8 works were taking place, nor did they know about the delineation tenders! *embarrassing*

The DoT aren't aware that the NRA is doing this? That figures. :rolleyes:

It has been nearly three months since the final public consultation. The findings were (or should have been) presented to the minister in January. Why are we in March with nothing done?

How many FF councillors will the redesignations upset? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

I hope so. I'm with the NRA on this one. But the DoT were not aware that the N8 works were taking place, nor did they know about the delineation tenders! *embarrassing*

surely you mean to say "the DoT SPOKESPERSON on the phone was not aware of it" ;)

Surely it is the job of the DoT spokesperson to be aware of all recent events to have taken place within the department, and to be able to relay information effectively to the enquring public.

That is my perception of "spokesperson".

Also, the Department of Transport and NRA websites are pretty atrocious when it comes to giving news updates.

Compare this (the UK Highway Agency's press page):

http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/pressrelease.aspx

To the paltry offerings you'll find here (the NRA's press page):

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/

Bit of a difference... ;)

Stupido wrote: »
    surely you mean to say "the DoT SPOKESPERSON on the phone was not aware of it" ;)

If you're feeling generous, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Just passed the Cherryhound exit of the N2, there's new poles up there, where the planned re-designated motorway will end. 3 in a row, around 6-8ft tall.

Maybe it's switching to blue signs pretty soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

God I need help

I went to transport.ie and saw their press release

"24/02/2009 - Statement by Mr Noel Dempsey T.D., Minister for Transport - Resignation of Mr Gary McGann as Chairman of Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) "

Of course I only read Mr Noel Dempsey T.D., Minister for Transport - ReDESsignation

Then I thought it was great, until I read it again.

When I first read it, I thought Noel Dempsey was resigning...

Then I remembered that miracles don't happen and we'll have to put up with this crap for another three years. :mad:
    JayeL wrote: »
    Just passed the Cherryhound exit of the N2, there's new poles up there, where the planned re-designated motorway will end. 3 in a row, around 6-8ft tall.

Maybe it's switching to blue signs pretty soon?

They won't immediately put up the blue signs for obvious reasons. But I'm sure once the S.I is passed they'll chuck up the blue pretty quickly.

I think the NRA "plan" so-to-speak was for the redesignation to come through in January/February and for the changeover to take place in April/May. That's the way they seem to be approaching it. And fair play - for once, I don't often say that about the NRA - to them for not waiting for the comatose DoT/Noel Dempsey to make their long overdue decision and delay the process even more.

I was told on the phone today that the engineer making the report to d'minister has been up to his elbows recently with R- and L- road funding paperwork, and that I should call back in "a fortnight" for an update.

I was told on the phone today that the engineer making the report to d'minister has been up to his elbows recently with R- and L- road funding paperwork, and that I should call back in "a fortnight" for an update.

Hopefully some of that funding will go towards changing some of the outdated N7/N8 signage.

Still doesn't make me happy this is taking so damn long...

Can the NRA, in tandem with sympathetic local authorities, erect the blue signage anyway? You might remember the Carlow Bypass and the Cashel to Mitchelstown schemes both opened with most of the motorway signage (except the warning boards - i.e. "NO L DRIVERS" etc.) prior to tranche 1 being officially redesignated.

• Advertisement

Can the NRA, in tandem with sympathetic local authorities, erect the blue signage anyway? You might remember the Carlow Bypass and the Cashel to Mitchelstown schemes both opened with most of the motorway signage (except the warning boards - i.e. "NO L DRIVERS" etc.) prior to tranche 1 being officially redesignated.

I was thinking that, and they certainly could. But we musn't forget:

- All the appropiate motorway signage was originally erected on both the Carlow Bypass and Cashel-Mitchelstown schemes.

- HOWEVER, when the S.I was signed and was announced to come into effect on September 24th...

- The "Motorway Ahead" signage on the Carlow Bypass was covered up.

- The "Motorway Ahead", "Start Of Motorway" and "End Of Motorway" signs were physically REMOVED from the Cashel-Mitchelstown scheme...

Something tells me that they won't be erecting that signage anytime soon. The most they can really do based on their previous actions is replace the ADS signage.

They could, I suppose, erect "motorway ahead" signage and cover it up with gaffer tap.

Advertisement