Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

south wrote: »
    I believe he lives in Kilkenny.

you are joking me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Read the thread and you shall find a statement from Cullinane

Read the thread and you shall find a statement from Cullinane

i didnt notice it - still could be infinitely stronger tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭azimuth17

south wrote: »
    I believe he lives in Kilkenny.

I am sure that Mr Cullinane lives in Dublin at present but has a house in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭south

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I am sure that Mr Cullinane lives in Dublin at present but has a house in Waterford.

Must have sold the house in knocktopher so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Suprised this has not come up here.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/02/03/failure-to-deliver-a-university-of-substance-to-the-south-east-will-not-be-tolerated/

Fair play to them. Will look and see if I could maybe get involved somehow. To my mind it needs to be highlighted big time that the TUSE even with a HQ in Waterford is still a slap in the face to Waterford city. The other regional gateway cites don't have this crap why should we.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

FUSE have a Twitter account @thefusecampaign. I think it's essential we now have a lobby group for a University for Waterford.

I'm a FUSE er. We all need to be.

I posted the link last week by the way ☺
    http://thefuse.ie

this is getting serious, one thing that is obvious from listening to JP Phelan on WLR this morning is FG are not to be trusted on this - a divvy up of WIT is on the menu unless we can resist this.

Hopefully thefuse group is quite high powered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1356945867295580160

Meanwhile Cullinane is too busy talking about vaccines and O'Cathasaigh bike lanes/biodiversity (My 1st and 2nd preference last election so no bias). Butler is actually nearly showing the two of them up on this, which shows how bad things have gotten. Fair play to Matt, he's earning a high preference from me next time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

We should have a UCW or WU, let Carlow, Wexford, Kilkenny, Wicklow, Portlaoise and Tipp make their own TU.

Brendan Howlin sticking his oar in on SE Radio

Can be heard here https://www.wlrfm.com/deise-today/

Click the section for John Paul Phelan and you can hear it at 9.20 for two minutes. "An equal campus for Wexford" EQUAL! "A new university concept"

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Brendan Howlin sticking his oar in on SE Radio

Can be heard here https://www.wlrfm.com/deise-today/

Click the section for John Paul Phelan and you can hear it at 9.20 for two minutes. "An equal campus for Wexford" EQUAL! "A new university concept"

I will see your infuriating interview and raise you one ,
    this is the Kilkenny Yokel Peter "chap" Cleere on KCLR telling Sue Nunn about the new TU headquarters coming to Kilkenny

https://soundcloud.com/kclr96fm/chap-cleere-on-the-new-tech-university-for-the-south-east-possibly-being-headquartered-in-kilkenny

Given how strong JP Phelan was in dismissing these rumours you'd have to wonder who bulling whom and to what end.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Given how strong JP Phelan was in dismissing these rumours you'd have to wonder who bulling whom and to what end.

Do you actually believe him though?

Well someone is lying and it's probably someone in Kilkenny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

its very interesting how this is playing out but wanted to address where the Kilkenny campus idea has come from .Its a ploy by the top brass in ITcarlow to control the TU.They know hey wont get the HQ in Carlow and Kilkenny is a good proxy for them and will allow them to control the TU .

That group has been an issue from day one, they are bullies who have been forcing the Carlow agenda with little compromise. They are scared to death that they will lose control as all aspects of Itcarlow is run by this small group. WIT is different with flat structure and staff and management is trusted to do their jobs with out having to seek approval from the top on every decision.

I talked to some WIT staff who are dealing with Carlow staff on the merger and at that level they are all getting on really well. What has surprised the WIT staff is how disempowered the Carlow staff are compared to them as all their decisions have to be approved . It slows down everything and its all about control and that culture wont work in a large organization.

But I think it slipping away from them and the reaction this week to the TU hq question has probably killed the Kilkenny idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dexpat

That certainly sounds promising. However I hope it's not being lined up as a carrot to soften the blow in relation to putting the HQ elsewhere. Any investment should be happening as part of the process anyway.

It's been sickening keeping up with the developments on this lately. Waterford has been looking for a university for the region since the 1940s without much support from elsewhere. In fact politicians like Hogan and Howlin have probably been behind it not happening in the last 20 years. The thinking being that they would prefer investment to happen outside the region rather that see it in Waterford.

Hopefully the kite flying during the week has shown how much of a backlash there would be if the decision is made not to site it in Waterford. I have even had someone here in Dublin who knows I'm from Waterford mention the controversy about it unprompted so it must be making waves.

I know everyone here would like a stand alone fully funded university but I think we have to accept that the TUSE is the only option now. It's essential that the HQ is in Waterford and a critical mass is developed in the main location to make it an institution of high standing. Waterford is the only location that can do that. Spreading it out in multiple locations will completely undermine it and dilute it's effect. It has not been advocated in the other mergers and TU Dublin is going in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Dexpat wrote: »
    That certainly sounds promising. However I hope it's not being lined up as a carrot to soften the blow in relation to putting the HQ elsewhere. Any investment should be happening as part of the process anyway.

It's been sickening keeping up with the developments on this lately. Waterford has been looking for a university for the region since the 1940s without much support from elsewhere. In fact politicians like Hogan and Howlin have probably been behind it not happening in the last 20 years. The thinking being that they would prefer investment to happen outside the region rather that see it in Waterford.

Hopefully the kite flying during the week has shown how much of a backlash there would be if the decision is made not to site it in Waterford. I have even had someone here in Dublin who knows I'm from Waterford mention the controversy about it unprompted so it must be making waves.

I know everyone here would like a stand alone fully funded university but I think we have to accept that the TUSE is the only option now. It's essential that the HQ is in Waterford and a critical mass is developed in the main location to make it an institution of high standing. Waterford is the only location that can do that. Spreading it out in multiple locations will completely undermine it and dilute it's effect. It has not been advocated in the other mergers and TU Dublin is going in the opposite direction.

Completely agree. Could not listen to the ex-mayor of Kilkenny the other day talk about the case the TU HQ being in Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rustyman101

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    we're screwed.....again ,not a bob to buy former Waterford Crystal site, what can you say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

Was wondering what the exciting developments John Cummins mentioned that was going to happen... must be this. Surprised David Cullinane isnt pushing more for the Wexford branch of the TU he apparently wanted (was in an answer to News and Star IIRC, he was the only rep to go on about wexford campus).

As far as them being suddenly interested in a site that nothing was being done with for years...sounds unusual. Frisby and the council started planning something for it recently so now he has a reason to hold on to it, unless this was the plan all along but I'd have my doubts.

We've enough promises to build 10 bridges 2 universities, 4 TUs, broadband 20km off the coast of Annestown and become the leading medical research centre in the world at this point. I'll believe any investment when I see the actual investment. Hows that Engineering building looking?

Like surely they understand we dont believe a single promise at this point and just assume its an attempt to get votes. 101st time bitten 102nd time shy. When was the last time they actually delivered on a promise?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rustyman101

Was wondering what the exciting developments John Cummins mentioned that was going to happen... must be this. Surprised David Cullinane isnt pushing more for the Wexford branch of the TU he apparently wanted (was in an answer to News and Star IIRC, he was the only rep to go on about wexford campus).

As far as them being suddenly interested in a site that nothing was being done with for years...sounds unusual. Frisby and the council started planning something for it recently so now he has a reason to hold on to it, unless this was the plan all along but I'd have my doubts.

We've enough promises to build 10 bridges 2 universities, 4 TUs, broadband 20km off the coast of Annestown and become the leading medical research centre in the world at this point. I'll believe any investment when I see the actual investment. Hows that Engineering building looking?

Like surely they understand we dont believe a single promise at this point and just assume its an attempt to get votes. 101st time bitten 102nd time shy. When was the last time they actually delivered on a promise?
    we keep voting them all back in, reap what you sow n all that !

We already knew about that, probably about 20 pages back!

Here is the Leo says story on WLR https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/02/04/leo-varadkar-says-former-waterford-crystal-site-being-looked-at-for-wit-expansion/

Varadkar -
    “I understand that the decision as to where an HQ is located is actually a decision for the TU and its board, so I assume they will make that decision.

Does anyone have the list of the TUSEI advisory group?

The head of FUSE, Pádraig Ó Gríofa on Deise Today can be heard here starting at just before 27 minutes in the first hour

https://www.wlrfm.com/deise-today/

Dexpat wrote: »

nail on the head to be fair.

We need a little more then a what we have we hold approach. Least once we have a bit more infrastructure from this, when the other branches eventually die out, might clear the path to go it alone after this failed venture.

Albeit in another 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

we keep voting them all back in, reap what you sow n all that !

I disagree, I think that all those votes are shifting, 2 non government and one new td.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I disagree, I think that all those votes are shifting, 2 non government and one new td.

And they're all useless (to be fair Shanahan is surprising me, had him marked as a ninja FG candidate tbh) so what dya do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭914

We already knew about that, probably about 20 pages back!

Here is the Leo says story on WLR https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/02/04/leo-varadkar-says-former-waterford-crystal-site-being-looked-at-for-wit-expansion/

Varadkar -

Does anyone have the list of the TUSEI advisory group?

The head of FUSE, Pádraig Ó Gríofa on Deise Today can be heard here starting at just before 27 minutes in the first hour

https://www.wlrfm.com/deise-today/

John Cummins today praising how the government have granted major funding since 2008, to the tune of €52 million between both WIT and ITCarlow

He would not be drawn in that only equates to €2.5 million per year per campus. Shocking!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

914 wrote: »
    John Cummins today praising how the government have granted major funding since 2008, to the tune of €52 million between both WIT and ITCarlow

He would not be drawn in that only equates to €2.5 million per year per campus. Shocking!

Such a big number, very shiny, make John happy, go team.

Advertisement