Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you Come by YOUR team

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Naos wrote: »
    Ps - here's a pic of Aqib Talib and his bro with my two mates (face's taken out as I've not get their permission, yet!)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1241&pictureid=6567

I'm guessing he meant the link above but it is a blank pic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Works for me :(

Is it not coming up?

Edit: Hang on :) - Ye saying it's not me and could be anyone is it?

Naos wrote: »
    Works for me :(

Is it not coming up?

Edit: Hang on :) - Ye saying it's not me and could be anyone is it?

Nope when we click the link nothing happens. It doesn't even show up in your post. If you uploaded the pic to boards it seems you can only view it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Ah right, that means my other pic hasn't come up either! Let me fix that :)

Packers – skeleton_boy, Pherekydes, Conor74, spank inferno, cooker3, me-skywalker, Eternal Wonderer
    Bears – Bobby Wade, Oatesy23, Spongey 1975, Jimdagym, dl, purcela, davetherave

The games greatest rivalry * is neck and neck...in the time honoured tradition of Packers Bears games we'll just have to slug it out!

* I'm biased...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Green Bay Packers. Conor74 - I ain't giving 'Da Bears an inch!

I chuckled when perusing this thread and saw Conor74's post above.

Having grown up 10 minutes from Giants Stadium, I was a big Giants supporter for years. However, as my screen name implies, I'm now living in Green Bay. It's very easy to root for the Packers. They are the only community-owned team in US professional sports (much like Barcelona Football Club). I'm sure GAA supporters (I know the GAA is not a "professional" athletic association) can relate to the idea of "community ownership". This allows the Packers to thrive in what is far and away the smallest "professional" sports market in the US. The city of Green Bay has a population of approximately 100,000 people - and they love their hometown heroes. Think about it, Los Angeles can't support a professional football team and Green Bay does.

Roughly estimating, 85% of Wisconsin deeply cares about how well the Packers are doing. Only about 35% of the Greater New York City area deeply cares about how well the Giants/Jets are doing. There are no "band-wagon" or "fair-weather" fans in Green Bay.

As an aside, as I shared with Tallaghtoutlaws in a different thread, the Packer's president is Mark Murphy (former Redskins player). One of the few "real" Irishmen in Green Bay is a Mayo man. He and his American wife are friends with Mark and they both say Mark is deeply proud of his Irish roots. Also, the head coach is Mike McCarthy - so they got that going for them! Go Pack Go!

cheesehead wrote: »

Roughly estimating, 85% of Wisconsin deeply cares about how well the Packers are doing. Only about 35% of the Greater New York City area deeply cares about how well the Giants/Jets are doing. There are no "band-wagon" or "fair-weather" fans in Green Bay.

I'd say 45% since Brett Favre left ;) But Isn't 35% of the Greater New York City Area still greater than the whole state of Wisconsin? But I do see what you are saying to some extent. As for band wagon and fair weather fans, maybe not in Green Bay but I have a fair few in Wisconsin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Ah Tallaghtoutlaws, there's always the fair few exceptions that prove the rule.

Approximately six years ago upon moving here, I knew I wasn't in the Greater New York City Metro area anymore when the local Green Bay evening news started their broadcast by interviewing two Green Bay offensive lineman and asking them their opinion on....wait for it....US armed forces operations in Iraq.

In the ensuing years I've attended (more than one) christening where the babe was wearing Packer green and gold. Hell, my neighbor (age 44) is named Arnie, after the great Packer quarterback Arnie Herber who played during .....the 1930's!

cheesehead wrote: »
    Ah Tallaghtoutlaws, there's always the fair few exceptions that prove the rule.

Approximately six years ago upon moving here, I knew I wasn't in the Greater New York City Metro area anymore when the local Green Bay evening news started their broadcast by interviewing two Green Bay offensive lineman and asking them their opinion on....wait for it....US armed forces operations in Iraq.

In the ensuing years I've attended (more than one) christening where the babe was wearing Packer green and gold. Hell, my neighbor (age 44) is named Arnie, after the great Packer quarterback Arnie Herber who played during .....the 1930's!

My Brett Favre comment was me being sarcastic hence the ;)

The bit in the middle which you missed was a genuine question as to the ratio of fans per state.

And the last bit when I say fair few I don't literally mean a handful. As I said previous I spend a lot of time in WI and have met many non Packers fans who turn into band wagoners or fair weathered when The Pack are doing well. But of course the majority are die hard I wasn't debating that. As for the tacky Packers wedding apparel yup I have witnessed that and have the pics to show for it. If I can find the pics of the wedding I went to were all the grooms men were wearing Packers ties and all the maids packers under garments ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

My first post in this forum, but it's 4.57am and I'm bored so what they hey.:P

Patriots would be the team I'd like to see do best, but I don't have a particular team. I also like to see the Saints do well.

Patriots, just because I was in Boston a few years ago and went to a Boston Celtics NBA game and Boston Bruins NHL game, so Boston baby!:P

The Saints because I saw a programme that was on MTV about them a few years ago after the hurricane and they just seem to lift spirits in the city when they do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 The Cool One

I've always been handy at most sports, but it's nearly always been the case that my older brother was that little bit better than me. So when I was in New York I discovered Eli Manning who was in a similar situation. I actually found out who he was because he was appearing in an ad on a big screen in Times Square and a drunken guy walked past screaming abuse at him about how he's a poor man's Peyton and adopted and what not.

Ever since then my interest in Football has grown from a pasisng interest to the fanatic level it is now and owe that to discovering a team. I've loved the Giants and Eli ever since. Winning the Super Bowl in 2007 was a particulary sweet moment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Hi, my first post on Boards, a real Newbie! Hope to be posting in this forum a fair bit.

My team is the Miami Dolphins. I was in Miami when I was quite young and remember seeing all the merchandise, so when the game started to be shown on Channel 4 I just gravitated to the Dolphins.

The fact I favour a pass happy game and Dan the Man was QB certainly helped!

The got to Super Bowl XVII in my 1st year supporting them and haven't even come close since.

Benimar wrote: »
    Hi, my first post on Boards, a real Newbie! Hope to be posting in this forum a fair bit.

My team is the Miami Dolphins. I was in Miami when I was quite young and remember seeing all the merchandise, so when the game started to be shown on Channel 4 I just gravitated to the Dolphins.

The got to Super Bowl XVII in my 1st year supporting them and haven't even come lose since.

Welcome to Boards and the American Football section Benimar. Look forward to discussing football with you and more importantly the AFC East ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

San Diego Super Chargers baby! Just give it to 21....I mean...just give it to 24!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

Benimar wrote: »

The got to Super Bowl XVII in my 1st year supporting them and haven't even come close since.

Go Phins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

raddo wrote: »
    Go Phins!!

Nice to see I won't be suffering alone :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

AFC

EAST
    Bills - themont85
    Dolphins – Icepickle, raddo,Miami 365, raddo, Benimar
    Patriots – tallaghtoutlaws, Hazys, Utd4Ever, Mr. Guappa, eagle eye, Reacher Creature, Pat the Patriot, f1dan, de5pOi1er, bruschi, Toulousain, Archimedes, Iang87, Benedict XVI, Fox1978, mars_bar,, baz2009
    Jets - SeekUp, LuckyLloyd, Zaph, Running Bing,

NORTH
    Browns – bacon bites
    Bengals - deisedude
    Steelers – The Munky, The Sparrow, mdwexford, figs86, steelcityblues
    Ravens - mikemac,Stab City, columok, Ravage 1616

SOUTH
    Colts – Chanandler Bong, Dr. Slurm, davyjose, brennaldo,
    Titans - Dohnny Jepp
    Texans -
    Jaguars – Kev_s88, GBX, Liam O, Mickeyt086, metaoblivia, menu14

WEST
    Chargers - Leslie 91, donmeister, RuggieBear, Clawfield, Pauleta, BrenoBolt91
    Broncos – UhOh, yerayeah,
    Raiders – Max Power1, heyjude, Prefabsprouter, Titan#1, Frisbee, TheHeadhunter, randomchild,
    Chiefs – Xavi6

NFC

EAST
    Giants - Hynzie, boccy23, KrustyUCC, JJ, Third Echelon, golfnuts, Keno 92
    Cowboys - Het-Field, Lirange, The Cool One
    Eagles – yupyup7up,titan18,Its so Easy, bobo the clown, pyjamarama, dardelve,
    Redskins - Cruiserweight

NORTH
    Packers – skeleton_boy, Pherekydes, Conor74, spank inferno, cooker3, me-skywalker, christopher, Eternal Wonder, cheesehead
    Lions – faulk28, MC_G,
    Vikings – Vikings,

SOUTH
    Falcons -
    Buccaneers - johnnycnandy , Naos
    Saints – Dodge, kevin11, jamsieboy86,
    Panthers -

WEST
    Seahawks - Royal Seahawk,Neil 3030, cambridge7, giddyup,
    49ers – Sea Devils, Lothaar, supremenovice,Codofwar, VinylJunkie,
    Cardinals – dougal, ondarack, frankmagnet, thebiggestjim,
    Rams - Karluss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Kinda hope someone reads this thread thinking about a team to adopt and picks the panthers, falcons or texans because no one else has :)

What suprised me here is the love for the Jaguars.

That's pretty cool, supporting the little team :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

AFC

EAST
    Bills - themont85
    Patriots – tallaghtoutlaws, Hazys, Utd4Ever, Mr. Guappa, eagle eye, Reacher Creature, Pat the Patriot, f1dan, de5pOi1er, bruschi, Toulousain, Archimedes, Iang87, Benedict XVI, Fox1978, mars_bar,, baz2009

NORTH
    Browns – bacon bites
    Bengals - deisedude

SOUTH
    Titans - Dohnny Jepp
    Texans -

WEST
    Broncos – UhOh, yerayeah,
    Raiders – Max Power1, heyjude, Prefabsprouter, Titan#1, Frisbee, TheHeadhunter, randomchild,
    Chiefs – Xavi6

NFC

EAST
    Redskins - Cruiserweight

NORTH
    Packers – skeleton_boy, Pherekydes, Conor74, spank inferno, cooker3, me-skywalker, christopher, Eternal Wonder, cheesehead
    Lions – faulk28, MC_G, Raoul:D:D:D
    Vikings – Vikings,

SOUTH
    Falcons -
    Panthers -

WEST
    Rams - Karluss

Only really gotten into American football this past few years, never really had a team until this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEaFYsKg-7c

Gotta love matthew stafford!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Hi,

First post in the American Football forum - so hi to all fellow supporters!

I began following the Denver Broncos in week 10 (i think) of the 1986 season.
    I bought my my first issue of "First Down" (remember that) and the poster was John Elway - hung on wall and decided they were my team.

Lucky for me, I believe the following week was a Lions player!!

poldebruin wrote: »
    Hi,

First post in the American Football forum - so hi to all fellow supporters!

I began following the Denver Broncos in week 10 (i think) of the 1986 season.
    I bought my my first issue of "First Down" (remember that) and the poster was John Elway - hung on wall and decided they were my team.

Lucky for me, I believe the following week was a Lions player!!

Welcome to the AF section poldebruin :D

And I miss the First Down Paper. Was a good read for sure.

Cheers Tallaghtoutlaws,

When I think back to the pre-internet days, and how excited I was heading down to the newsagents every thursday to collect First down and read the game reports of the previous weeks games!!

poldebruin wrote: »
    Cheers Tallaghtoutlaws,

When I think back to the pre-internet days, and how excited I was heading down to the newsagents every thursday to collect First down and read the game reports of the previous weeks games!!

I was the same had my local newsagent order it in for me. Im sure I still have a box in the attic full of them :D

ha...so do I - could never bring myself to dump them
    And piles of Touchdown magazines too.

I actually had a peek at one not too long ago and the quality is shocking - certainly not what I remember through my 12 year old eyes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Tribesmen7

First time I watched American Football was in late 1998 as the playoffs were nearing. I knew nothing about the teams and had very little understanding of the rules. But I now had a passing interest in the sport and as the playoffs came along I decided to pick a team to support so as to make it more interesting. I picked the Denver Broncos (not knowing they were the current champions). They went on to repeat and for the next few years I kept an eye on what was going on in the sport and would watch the Superbowl but that was it.

In 2004 while in college my interest in the sport grew again, I kept a check on the Broncos results and would try to watch as many games as possible, which wasn't many seeing as I went back to college on Sunday evenings and we had no Sky Sports. But by this stage I was hooked and since finishing college in 2007 I now get to see so many more games and have continued to follow the Broncos since then.

And now like most of the teams I support in sport they are not very good (Galway in Hurling who I suppose are a good team but no Championship since 88!, Ireland and Galway Utd in soccer) so I am used of little success at this stage. :D

I only wish there was a team around Galway that I could take interest in but maybe sometime in the future.

But as for the NFL, roll on the new season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 UALacrosse

My dad was a fan, and then when I moved to D.C. naturally I was a Redskins fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Im a sports nut in general, but have a recently had a big interest in NFL.

Im first and foremost a Bucs fan. My aunt lives in Tampa so when I went over, I saw all the gear and I bought Madden 05. I learned most of the things I know from Madden as I didnt have Sky etc. Excited about their (hopefully) new departure, with Freeman and a revitalised Cadilac Williams. rookie Wr's and a Sapp like figure in Gerald McCoy. Looking forward to 10-11, which will most likely end badly as usual for us. Still clinging on to that 03 SB win against the Raiders. Only caught highlights though.

I remember being a Bandwagon Patriots fan for a while also, and still like them to do well. Tom Brady is a legend. I like a couple of other teams, Lions because of Stafford and now Suh. I like the outspoken players such as Lewis, "Ocho", and TO.

Anyways, just like to introduce myself and hopefully bond with the other suffering Bucs fans.

AFC

EAST
    Bills - themont85

NORTH
    Browns – bacon bites
    Bengals - deisedude

SOUTH
    Titans - Dohnny Jepp
    Texans -

WEST
    Broncos – UhOh, yerayeah, poldebruin, Tribesmen7
    Chiefs – Xavi6

NFC

EAST
    Redskins - Cruiserweight, UALacrosse

NORTH
    Lions – faulk28, MC_G, Raoul, DDC1990
    Vikings – Vikings,

SOUTH
    Falcons -
    Panthers -

WEST
    Rams - Karluss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

AFC

EAST
    Bills - themont85

NORTH
    Browns – bacon bites
    Bengals - deisedude

SOUTH
    Titans - Dohnny Jepp
    Texans -

WEST
    Chiefs – Xavi6

NFC

EAST

NORTH
    Vikings – Vikings,

SOUTH
    Falcons -
    Panthers -

WEST
    Rams - Karluss

AFC

EAST
    Bills - themont85

NORTH
    Browns – bacon bites
    Bengals - deisedude

SOUTH
    Titans - Dohnny Jepp
    Texans -

WEST
    Chiefs – Xavi6

NFC

EAST

NORTH
    Vikings – Vikings,

SOUTH
    Falcons -
    Buccaneers - johnnycnandy , Naos, DDC1990
    Panthers -

WEST
    Rams - Karluss

Yoink ;)

Advertisement