Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you Come by YOUR team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

ondarack wrote: »
    Cardinals fan, just started watching nfl last yr before the superbowl. Twas a coin toss, steelers or cards. Happy with my choice ever since, not so happy with result! Last season wasn't too bad, this 1 could be a different story tho:eek::eek::eek:!! I think we will really struggle without Warner and Boldin.

Any other cards fans?? doesnt seem to be a popular team!! very little tv coverage

Yep Cards fan here too :)

Hadnt watched football in a few years and never really had a team until I watched a game with couple from AZ who were Cards fans in the Woolshed. Got on really well so I said I would take the Cards as my team and im glad I did :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Patriots fan (as obvious from username) and started following them from playing them on Madden football (the EA sports combo with the Ice hockey) around 1994. Mainly coz of the Irish connection with Boston and I knew of the Boston Celtics and the Red Sox to me at the time seemed the most famous baseball team around. Drew Bledsoe was the quarterback, and to be honest, there was damn all to see of them then, plus I was young and cant say I followed it too much. Watching the superbowl in 96 was about the extent of what I saw (great seeing them hammered!), and hearing bits and pieces about Patriots.

Was only when Sky started showing more games in late 90's that I got back into it properly, and it was indeed a good time to be following them. Wtih internet and tv games now its far easier to follow teams, so a lot more fans and probably more fans of teams who have been succesful recently.

I'd still get the gloryhunter tag of following the Pats when they came good, but sure its an easy stick to beat Pats fans with. I'm sure it'll be likewise for Colts fans soon enough and maybe other teams who havenet had a great past and now are good. I'm happy following the Pats, and have been for longer than the glory years have come around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

AFC

EAST
    Bills - themont85
    Dolphins – Icepickle, raddo,Miami 365
    Patriots – tallaghtoutlaws, Hazys, Utd4Ever, Mr. Guappa, eagle eye, Reacher Creature, Pat the Patriot, f1dan, de5pOi1er, bruschi
    Jets - SeekUp, LuckyLloyd

NORTH
    Browns – bacon bites
    Bengals - deisedude
    Steelers – The Munky, The Sparrow
    Ravens - mikemac,Stab City

SOUTH
    Colts – Chanandler Bong, Dr. Slurm, davyjose
    Titans -
    Texans -
    Jaguars – Kev_s88, GBX, Liam O

WEST
    Chargers - Leslie 91, donmeister
    Broncos - UhOh
    Raiders – Max Power1, heyjude
    Chiefs – Xavi6

NFC

EAST
    Giants - Hynzie, boccy23, KrustyUCC
    Cowboys - Het-Field, Lirange
    Eagles – yupyup7up,titan18,Its so Easy, bobo the clown
    Redskins - Cruiserweight

NORTH
    Packers – skeleton_boy
    Lions -
    Vikings -
    Bears – Bobby Wade, Oatesy23, Spongey 1975, Jimdagym

SOUTH
    Falcons -
    Buccaneers -
    Saints -
    Panthers -

WEST
    Seahawks - Royal Seahawk,Neil 3030
    49ers – Sea Devils, Lothaar, supremenovice,Codofwar
    Cardinals – dougal, ondarack, frankmagnet,
    Rams - Karlusss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

No love for the nfc south!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

founds loads more in old thread

AFC

EAST
    Bills - themont85
    Dolphins – Icepickle, raddo,Miami 365, raddo,
    Patriots – tallaghtoutlaws, Hazys, Utd4Ever, Mr. Guappa, eagle eye, Reacher Creature, Pat the Patriot, f1dan, de5pOi1er, bruschi, Toulousain, Archimedes, Iang87, Benedict XVI, Fox1978, mars_bar,
    Jets - SeekUp, LuckyLloyd, Zaph, Running Bing,

NORTH
    Browns – bacon bites
    Bengals - deisedude
    Steelers – The Munky, The Sparrow, mdwexford, figs86,

SOUTH
    Colts – Chanandler Bong, Dr. Slurm, davyjose, brennaldo,
    Titans -
    Texans -
    Jaguars – Kev_s88, GBX, Liam O, Mickeyt086, metaoblivia,

WEST
    Chargers - Leslie 91, donmeister, RuggieBear,
    Broncos – UhOh, yerayeah,
    Raiders – Max Power1, heyjude, Prefabsprouter, Titan#1, Frisbee, TheHeadhunter, randomchild,
    Chiefs – Xavi6

NFC

EAST
    Giants - Hynzie, boccy23, KrustyUCC, JJ, Third Echelon, golfnuts,
    Eagles – yupyup7up,titan18,Its so Easy, bobo the clown, pyjamarama, dardelve,
    Redskins - Cruiserweight

NORTH
    Packers – skeleton_boy, Pherekydes, Conor74, spank inferno, cooker3, me-skywalker,
    Lions – faulk28, MC_G,
    Vikings – Vikings,
    Bears – Bobby Wade, Oatesy23, Spongey 1975, Jimdagym, dl, purcela,

SOUTH
    Falcons -
    Buccaneers -
    Saints – Dodge, kevin11, jamsieboy86,
    Panthers -

WEST
    Seahawks - Royal Seahawk,Neil 3030, cambridge7, giddyup,
    49ers – Sea Devils, Lothaar, supremenovice,Codofwar, VinylJunkie,
    Cardinals – dougal, ondarack, frankmagnet, thebiggestjim,
    Rams - Karlusss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Jaysus look at all those bleedin' Patriots!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jaysus look at all those bleedin' Patriots!:pac:
    glory hunters the lot of em :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Just noticed this thread (apologies)

Steeler fan of over 25 years.

Lived there for over a year as a kid and there was no way I could support anyone else once there. Support the Penguins in hockey and Pirates in baseball too

One of those proud moments in life was shaking the hand of the late Art Rooney Sr in his office (too young to remember but I have the photo) and later Dan at the old Three Rivers (still lament its demolition).

Go back there as often as I can and needless to say even the most unlikely sports people have an opinion on the "Stillers", whatever the year!

In earlier years before the Internet and increased coverage, a few good friends from over there would send me newspaper/magazine articles of what was happening. Kept me more knowledgable.

Optimistic for 2010 (despite off field problems) and at least the ownership aren't known for hesitating with coaches or individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

I'm a Tampa Bay Bucs fan. Used to spend every summer in Tampa with family. A good few years ago (back in the Tony Dungy days), I was there in the winter, and the Bucs were playing the Packers, so there was huge hype about the game, and I started following the Bucs from then on. Its not great being a fan now, but at least I got see my team win the Superbowl!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Clawfeld

I ended up being a huge Chargers fan after doing my J1 in SD.

When I came home I ended up buy Madden 05 or 06 for the PS2. Loved it.. either handing the ball off to LT or play action pass... worked everytime!!! :)

Then just started watching the highlights on NFL.com and started getting more into it. Then got Sky Sports and the rest is history.. "as they say in the states!"

Hope they win the superbowl soon.. they are the "nearly" team at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I became a Chargers fan the season before last after they were robbed of victory in the 1st couple of games. I looked out for their results when they were not on tv and went out of my way to watch them after that thus becoming a fan of them. I see a bit of myself in Phillip Rivers as well :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Pauleta wrote: »
    I became a Chargers fan the season before last after they were robbed of victory in the 1st couple of games. I looked out for their results when they were not on tv and went out of my way to watch them after that thus becoming a fan of them. I see a bit of myself in Phillip Rivers as well :cool:

that'd be the last thing I'd want to see!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Pauleta wrote: »
    I see a bit of myself in Phillip Rivers as well :cool:

Sorry to hear that dude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i cant believe theres 5 Jags fans, and not a single Texans or Titans fan....major support for the little guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Titans fan =]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

AFC

EAST
    Bills - themont85
    Patriots – tallaghtoutlaws, Hazys, Utd4Ever, Mr. Guappa, eagle eye, Reacher Creature, Pat the Patriot, f1dan, de5pOi1er, bruschi, Toulousain, Archimedes, Iang87, Benedict XVI, Fox1978, mars_bar,

NORTH
    Browns – bacon bites
    Bengals - deisedude
    Steelers – The Munky, The Sparrow, mdwexford, figs86, steelcityblues

SOUTH
    Titans -
    Texans -

WEST
    Chargers - Leslie 91, donmeister, RuggieBear, Clawfield, Pauleta
    Raiders – Max Power1, heyjude, Prefabsprouter, Titan#1, Frisbee, TheHeadhunter, randomchild,
    Chiefs – Xavi6

NFC

EAST
    Redskins - Cruiserweight

NORTH
    Packers – skeleton_boy, Pherekydes, Conor74, spank inferno, cooker3, me-skywalker,
    Lions – faulk28, MC_G,
    Vikings – Vikings,
    Bears – Bobby Wade, Oatesy23, Spongey 1975, Jimdagym, dl, purcela, davetherave

SOUTH
    Falcons -
    Buccaneers - johnnycnandy
    Panthers -

WEST
    Rams - Karlusss

Sadly there's no inspiring story of how I became a bears fan. All I know is that it was one of two things, I either picked them because they are first in the list of nfl teams by mascot name (Bears, Bengals, Bills....Vikings). Or I got a bears jersey in the christmas sales in Arnotts because it was the only one that was my size :rolleyes:
    10 years later I'm still with through the good and (mostly) bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

New York Giants!

The first superbowl I ever saw was in 2008 Giants V Patriots. Giants were underdogs versus the undefeated Patriots so I rooted for them. Been following them ever since!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Bucs fan and luckily have been for a long time so got to see them win a Superbowl! Went to visit my grandfather who lives around the Tampa area and he was a big football fan. Thus me watching with him and getting hooked.

AFC

EAST
    Bills - themont85

NORTH
    Browns – bacon bites
    Bengals - deisedude

SOUTH
    Titans -
    Texans -

WEST
    Chiefs – Xavi6

NFC

EAST
    Redskins - Cruiserweight

NORTH
    Lions – faulk28, MC_G,
    Vikings – Vikings,

SOUTH
    Falcons -
    Buccaneers - johnnycnandy, Wompa1
    Panthers -

WEST
    Rams - Karlusss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

AFC

EAST
    Bills - themont85

NORTH
    Browns – bacon bites
    Bengals - deisedude

SOUTH
    Titans -
    Texans -

WEST
    Chiefs – Xavi6

NFC

EAST
    Giants - Hynzie, boccy23, KrustyUCC, JJ, Third Echelon, golfnuts, Keno 92
    Redskins - Cruiserweight

NORTH
    Lions – faulk28, MC_G,
    Vikings – Vikings,

SOUTH
    Falcons -
    Buccaneers - johnnycnandy
    Panthers -

WEST
    Rams - Karluss

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

This will be useful for some piss-taking come September.

Karluss - how did you beome a Rams fan? But for you guys the Seahawks would have been even further up in the draft in the last 2 years. Looking forward to seeing what Bradford can do for you.

I have a sinking feeling that the Hawks will be motivated to under-perform this year so they can pick up Jake Locker in 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Said it on previous thread about my intro to the Ravens. Read 'Next Man Up' by John Feinstein (picked it up randomly in Waterstones looking for arbitrary football book) while looking to learn more about the NFL and really liked what I read about the ravens organisation. Think Ozzie Newsome and Steve Bisciotti are class acts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭christopher

well, the reason i chose the Packers is cos my extended family hails from Meath, and the first game i watched was packers vs bears, so at 8 years old it made sense for me to follow the team wearing green and gold! 20 years on and i've never looked back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

I'm only a newbie to this American Football game.

I went to London last year for the Bucs V Pats game.

Here's my story:

First time to an NFL game and to be honest - wasn't much of a fan before but I'm a convert now

What a spectacle, even if you weren't interested in the game you would have been entertained by the atmosphere. We had great seats, about 5 rows from the covered seats to the right hand side of the tunnel! Literally looking overlooking the tunnel.

The game was topped off when a mate and I managed to get into the executive lounge and got a few free pints.

However, this event was overshadowed when I met 5 Bucs players in TGI's, two of whom were possibly Maurice Stovall & Davin Joseph(height for this one doesn't match up though). Can anyone help identify them?

picture.php?albumid=1241&pictureid=6469

Went back to my table and showed the lads my picture, thought it was cool and I'm thinking this night cannot get any better(We also got 50% off the food and a free shot). I was proven wrong.

We went to some club in Picadilly and I spotted some more NFL players, Aqib Talib and Donald Penn, in the VIP area (Not very VIP, on a higher level than the dancefloor with a velvet rope). There was a third but cannot remember the name.

Shook Aqibs hand and showed him the picture from TGI's earlier. He started to laugh and show his teammate the picture so I cheekily asked if we could join him in the VIP. He looked at me for about three seconds, asked how many there was and then told us to come up.

So yes, myself and three mates spent our Sunday night drinking Grey Goose and having the craic with three NFL players, Bucs for life baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Naos wrote: »
    Bucks for life baby!

You mean Bucs ya noob. But great story, nice to hear some NFL players aren't complete arseholes. And a good reason to get into a team!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Packers fan here, as if you couldn't tell already!

Was watching a game a few years ago on Channel 5 with the brother-in-law and he said to pick a team to root for to help me enjoy it more. Packers were playing the Bears so I picked the Packers as they were losing. They eventually won the match and from that game on I started to get into the NFL and have been following the Packers ever since.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You mean Bucs ya noob. But great story, nice to hear some NFL players aren't complete arseholes. And a good reason to get into a team!

Was on the way back in here to correct that spelling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Only starting to get into American Football! Used to play Madden all the time! Decided i'm going to support the ravens this coming season and try watch as many games as i can! Previously I've only watched the odd game and highlights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭menu14

Jags. Watched Who is.... with Maurice Jones-Drew when I didn't know alot about American Football and said I would support whoever he played with.

Ps - here's a pic of Aqib Talib and his bro with my two mates (face's taken out as I've not get their permission, yet!)

4712102808_d2fd364be1.jpg

And because I cannot edit the other post, here's the image I was supposed to post.

Me and some Bucs:

4711464835_1938e82ebf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Pic? Where would that be? :P

Advertisement