Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you Come by YOUR team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Jets!

Watched the Superbowl in Feb and was immediately hooked on the game. I'd only ever really heard of Ray Finkle :). So I've tried to read up on the Rules/Teams/Players over the past few months in preparation for the new season.

I was undecided on who to support and then I saw Rex Ryan at an MMA Event slagging the Dolphins and thought it was amusing. Then checked out who would be on this years Hard Knocks and found out Gang Green would be on it.

Decided on the Jets thereafter and it seems I joined at a good time!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ari gold24

Big Blue Giants!

Have an uncle thats lived in New York for over 25years so my 1st visit out there when i was young and i started asking about the game,he explained i loved it and picked the Giants!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

AFC

EAST

Bills themont85
    Dolphins Icepickle, raddo,Miami 365, raddo, Benimar
    Patriots tallaghtoutlaws, Hazys, Utd4Ever, Mr. Guappa, eagle eye, Reacher Creature, Pat the Patriot, f1dan, de5pOi1er, bruschi, Toulousain, Archimedes, Iang87, Benedict XVI, Fox1978, mars_bar,, baz2009, Whippersnapper.
    Jets SeekUp, LuckyLloyd, Zaph, Running Bing,

NORTH

Browns bacon bites, Silver-Tiger
    Bengals deisedude
    Steelers The Munky, The Sparrow, mdwexford, figs86, steelcityblues
    Ravens mikemac,Stab City, columok, Ravage 1616

SOUTH

Colts Chanandler Bong, Dr. Slurm, davyjose, brennaldo
    Titans Dohnny Jepp
    Texans
    Jaguars Kev_s88, GBX, Liam O, Mickeyt086, metaoblivia, menu14

WEST

Chargers Leslie 91, donmeister, RuggieBear, Clawfield, Pauleta, BrenoBolt91
    Broncos UhOh, yerayeah, poldebruin, Tribesmen7
    Raiders Max Power1, heyjude, Prefabsprouter, Titan#1, Frisbee, TheHeadhunter, randomchild,
    Chiefs Xavi6

NFC

EAST

Giants Hynzie, boccy23, KrustyUCC, JJ, Third Echelon, golfnuts, Keno 92
    Cowboys Het-Field, Lirange, The Cool One
    Eagles yupyup7up,titan18,Its so Easy, bobo the clown, pyjamarama, dardelve, D3PO
    Redskins Cruiserweight, UALacrosse

NORTH

Packers skeleton_boy, Pherekydes, Conor74, spank inferno, cooker3, me-skywalker, christopher, Eternal Wonder, cheesehead, WakeyTyke
    Lions faulk28, MC_G, Raoul, DDC1990
    Vikings Vikings, Hulk Hands
    Bears Bobby Wade, Oatesy23, Spongey 1975, Jimdagym, dl, purcela, davetherave

SOUTH

Falcons
    Buccaneers johnnycnandy , Naos, DDC1990
    Saints Dodge, kevin11, jamsieboy86,
    Panthers

WEST

Seahawks Royal Seahawk,Neil 3030, cambridge7, giddyup,
    49ers Sea Devils, Lothaar, supremenovice,Codofwar, VinylJunkie,
    Cardinals dougal, ondarack, frankmagnet, thebiggestjim
    Rams Karluss

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

sigh this doesn work, people keep quoting the wrong one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

How many of these people even visit this site anymore? Let alone post? I haven't seen a colt's fan since the super bowl.

Say what you like about the Pats fans (ridiculous bandwagon slurs have been mentioned in the past), but those guys are loyal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 whaturmuva

I was just kind of born here, home team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I'd always found it impossible to pick a team as all I liked was the individual players from certain teams but then I went to wembley for the Saints V Chargers game and since that I've been following the Saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jopari87

The first full game I sat down to watch was the 2006 AFC Championship game.

At the time I thought it was just a regular game and had never heard of the Colts.

My brother supported the Patriots so when Colts were down at half time I decided to root for them and have supported them ever since.

It was only a few weeks later I realised Peyton Manning and co. were a fairly good football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Jopari87 wrote: »
    The first full game I sat down to watch was the 2006 AFC Championship game.

At the time I thought it was just a regular game and had never heard of the Colts.

My brother supported the Patriots so when Colts were down at half time I decided to root for them and have supported them ever since.

It was only a few weeks later I realised Peyton Manning and co. were a fairly good football team.

You picked quite the game for your first one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I used to watch American Football when I was a kid on Channel 4 (more than 20 years ago now) and my mother bought me a Redskins mug when she found out I liked NFL. I started following them from then on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

Straightforward enough. I spent some time in San Diego and went to a Chargers - Seahawks preseason game. It wasn't much of a match and most of the big names barely took to the field, but I stuck with the Chargers (and continue to do so).

Why, oh, why did I have to be in San Diego when I became interested in American sport :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fill up the list folks, it's a census :)

It's not working

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

I was 15 and ove rin Floria with the Family, had watched it alot but supported no team. I was lucky enough to see the team Bucs train so from then on i had my team after my first trip to the States. Warren Sapp signing the same year was also a great treat..

15 years later ive gone ot see them play 5 times and i really love it. Cant beat the Weather, the fans and the beer at Raymond James..

Go Buccssssssssss:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭deisedude

I mentioned i support the Bengals but neglected to mention why.

I spent last year doing an exchange at the University of Cincinnati so thats where my love of the Bengals and probably moreso the Bearcats comes from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Lived in Seattle for 3 years.
    AFC

EAST

Bills themont85
    Patriots tallaghtoutlaws, Hazys, Utd4Ever, Mr. Guappa, eagle eye, Reacher Creature, Pat the Patriot, f1dan, de5pOi1er, bruschi, Toulousain, Archimedes, Iang87, Benedict XVI, Fox1978, mars_bar,, baz2009, Whippersnapper.

NORTH

Bengals deisedude

SOUTH

Titans Dohnny Jepp
    Texans

WEST

Raiders Max Power1, heyjude, Prefabsprouter, Titan#1, Frisbee, TheHeadhunter, randomchild,
    Chiefs Xavi6

NFC

EAST

Eagles yupyup7up,titan18,Its so Easy, bobo the clown, pyjamarama, dardelve, D3PO

NORTH

Packers skeleton_boy, Pherekydes, Conor74, spank inferno, cooker3, me-skywalker, christopher, Eternal Wonder, cheesehead, WakeyTyke

SOUTH

Falcons
    Panthers

WEST

Seahawks Royal Seahawk,Neil 3030, cambridge7, giddyup, MickShamrock
    Rams Karluss

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

I'll throw meself in this, then
    AFC

EAST

Bills themont85

NORTH

Bengals deisedude

SOUTH

Titans Dohnny Jepp
    Texans

WEST

Chargers Leslie 91, donmeister, RuggieBear, Clawfield, Pauleta, BrenoBolt91, Firehen
    Chiefs Xavi6

NFC

EAST

NORTH

SOUTH

Falcons
    Panthers

WEST

Rams Karluss

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

Clue is in the name, big 49ers fan, Not to happy at the minute, im sure they will turn it around though. Watched old Channel 4 show like other posters, stayed up late for Superbowl when allowed!!! Just picked 49ers cause I thought Joe Montana was so cool...stuck with them ever snce

Got to watch the 49ers/Bears game last year in San Francisco. Heading to London next week for the Wembley match, Cant Wait

• Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

49ers fan wrote: »
    Got to watch the 49ers/Bears game last year in San Francisco.

I'm so sorry that you had to witness that ''football'' game. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

Yeah, wasnt pretty, but good atmosphere and tasty Bud Light!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Het-Field wrote: »
    As an Irishman, i am very far removed from America, as, I would imagine, amny of the posters on this site are. Thus, I was wondering what attracted you to your team of choice ?

For me, I made a resolution that I would only watch the game as a neutral until I hit the USA for myself, and the first city I frequented, I would support that team.

It was by fluke, not by design that I first ended up in Dallas, Texas, where the people are football mad. I had a stoppver in Chicago O Hare, however, that didnt count as "frequenting the city". Hence, I selected the Cowboys, and have never looked back.

As a fan of the West Ham United, Dublin GAA Team, the P.Ds, and a devotee of Metallica since Load/Reload, one would have to think I just like taking punishment. I felt such a sense of loss when the NYG knocked the Cowboys out of the playoffs last year, and when Romo screw up in 2007.

How did YOU settle on YOUR team ?

Hi man

people will c this as tragic or whatever ....but the opening credits of Dallas the tv show and the helicopter going over centrefield in the old texas stadium ...how sad is that ....firstly cant be accused of jumpin on an Aikman bandwagon either ....Dallas were bad in the mid-80s when Channel 4 started their coverage

some highlights Eric Dickerson ...Steve Largent ...Jerry Rice ....Lawrence Taylor what a decade haha

good thread idea love hearing peoples choices

as for Dallas ...i love Wade but i think we should keep him and hire in a Head Coach ...not sure bout Garrett .....Jerry Jones likes to run the football operations and doesnt like a strongman like a Parcells/Jimmy Johnson so maybe Jerry needs to change as look at the Haley/Weiss/Crenel/Pioli juggernaut in Kansas

lets face it they had a fantastic draft and Cassel will probably come through in the end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

AFC

EAST

Bills themont85

NORTH

Bengals deisedude

SOUTH

Titans Dohnny Jepp
    Texans

WEST

Chiefs Xavi6

NFC

EAST

Cowboys Het-Field, Lirange, The Cool One , Neilster

NORTH

SOUTH

Falcons
    Panthers

WEST

Seahawks Royal Seahawk,Neil 3030, cambridge7, giddyup,
    Rams Karluss[/QUOTE]

You know what to do! Quote and add your alligience.
    The Panthers and Texans need some love too :)

I was sure we had a Falcons fan :confused:
    If I've missed you then add yourself

AFC

EAST

Bills themont85
    Patriots tallaghtoutlaws, Hazys, Utd4Ever, Mr. Guappa, eagle eye, Reacher Creature, Pat the Patriot, f1dan, de5pOi1er, bruschi, Toulousain, Archimedes, Iang87, Benedict XVI, Fox1978, mars_bar,, baz2009, Whippersnapper, me89, kryogen, copper23
    Jets SeekUp, LuckyLloyd, Zaph, Running Bing, Shoveller, candlegirl, Kimano-girl, freeoscar

NORTH

Browns bacon bites,Silver-Tiger
    Bengals deisedude, deisedude
    Ravens mikemac,Stab City, columok, Ravage 1616, feelingstressed

SOUTH

Colts Chanandler Bong, Dr. Slurm, davyjose, brennaldo, Jopari87, MickShamrock
    Titans Dohnny Jepp, Eire-Dearg
    Texans

WEST

Chargers Leslie 91, donmeister, RuggieBear, Clawfield, Pauleta, BrenoBolt91, landsleaving, Firehen
    Broncos UhOh, yerayeah, poldebruin, Tribesmen7, spiralism,
    Raiders Max Power1, heyjude, Prefabsprouter, Titan#1, Frisbee, Chucky the Tree, TheHeadhunter, randomchild, rhonin
    Chiefs Xavi6

NFC

EAST

Giants Hynzie, boccy23, KrustyUCC, JJ, Third Echelon, golfnuts, Keno 92, ari gold24
    Eagles yupyup7up,titan18,Its so Easy, bobo the clown, pyjamarama, dardelve, D3PO, Kaisergunnar
    Redskins Cruiserweight, UALacrosse, djimi

NORTH

SOUTH

Falcons
    Buccaneers johnnycnandy , Naos, DDC1990, Wompa1, jester1980
    Saints Dodge, kevin11, jamsieboy86, Nemanja91
    Panthers

WEST

Seahawks Royal Seahawk,Neil 3030, cambridge7, giddyup, NTMK
    49ers Sea Devils, Lothaar, supremenovice,Codofwar, VinylJunkie, 49ers fan, BastardPrince
    Rams Karluss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I think you've managed to miss yourself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

AFC

EAST

Bills themont85
    Patriots tallaghtoutlaws, Hazys, Utd4Ever, Mr. Guappa, eagle eye, Reacher Creature, Pat the Patriot, f1dan, de5pOi1er, bruschi, Toulousain, Archimedes, Iang87, Benedict XVI, Fox1978, mars_bar,, baz2009, Whippersnapper, me89, kryogen, copper23
    Jets SeekUp, LuckyLloyd, Zaph, Running Bing, Shoveller, candlegirl, Kimano-girl, freeoscar

NORTH

SOUTH

Texans

WEST

Chargers Leslie 91, donmeister, RuggieBear, Clawfield, Pauleta, BrenoBolt91, landsleaving, Firehen
    Raiders Max Power1, heyjude, Prefabsprouter, Titan#1, Frisbee, Chucky the Tree, TheHeadhunter, randomchild, rhonin
    Chiefs Xavi6

NFC

EAST

Giants Hynzie, boccy23, KrustyUCC, JJ, Third Echelon, golfnuts, Keno 92, ari gold24
    Eagles yupyup7up,titan18,Its so Easy, bobo the clown, pyjamarama, dardelve, D3PO, Kaisergunnar, Jimmy Iovine

NORTH

SOUTH

Falcons
    Panthers

WEST

49ers Sea Devils, Lothaar, supremenovice,Codofwar, VinylJunkie, 49ers fan, BastardPrince
    Rams Karluss

I think I always had an interest in American Football, but that would have been more to do with an interest in American culture in general. The first proper game I can remember watching was Super Bowl XXXIX, Eagles v Patriots. Probably just because I wanted to root for the underdog I chose to follow the Eagles for that match. Very quickly I became totally addicted. In the week before my mocks for the Junior that same year I got Madden 2004. Spent the whole week before it playing it nonstop, with the Eagles of course. My Madden career was pretty spectacular, the results in the mocks weren't though.

In the years since my interest has peaked and then fallen away due to interest in other sports and then the Leaving Cert. Haven't been able to watch as many games as I wanted to this year cause of the whole final year in college and all that jazz. Missed Vick's performance on Monday and haven't been as gutted in a while over something.

Think I'm gonna take the plunge and get my first Eagles jersey this year. Hopefully, if my future goes to plan, I'll be able to get over to a few Eagles matches and taste some original Phillie cheese steaks for myself haha.

Yes, follow it like Jimmy Iovine above.

Quote the last list and add yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

To be brutally honest, I just like the idea of cowboys playing football...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

AFC

EAST

Bills themont85

NORTH

SOUTH

Texans

WEST

Chiefs Xavi6

NFC

EAST

Eagles yupyup7up,titan18,Its so Easy, bobo the clown, pyjamarama, dardelve, D3PO, Kaisergunnar

NORTH

SOUTH

Falcons
    Panthers

WEST

49ers Sea Devils, Lothaar, supremenovice,Codofwar, VinylJunkie, 49ers fan, BastardPrince, NTMK
    Rams Karluss

Just correcting the NFC West entries. We may be the NFLs worst division but it shaping up to be a cracking finish after the 49ers beat the Cards on Sunday. Rams v Hawks to decide it on Jan 2nd. I will be in Qwest. Go Hawks!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 danieljm

AFC

EAST

Bills themont85
    Patriots tallaghtoutlaws, Hazys, Utd4Ever, Mr. Guappa, eagle eye, Reacher Creature, Pat the Patriot, f1dan, de5pOi1er, bruschi, Toulousain, Archimedes, Iang87, Benedict XVI, Fox1978, mars_bar,, baz2009, Whippersnapper, me89, kryogen, copper23, danieljm

NORTH

SOUTH

Texans

WEST

Chiefs Xavi6

NFC

EAST

NORTH

SOUTH

Falcons
    Panthers

WEST

49ers Sea Devils, Lothaar, supremenovice,Codofwar, VinylJunkie, 49ers fan, BastardPrince, NTMK
    Rams Karluss

became a pat in 2000 before they had any success which is rather annoying as get accused of jumping on the band wagon now!

watched with my father one night just trying to avoid going to bed as a ten year old.....

became really interested and said ill just support the winning team....

drew bledsoe did the rest!:D

soft spot for the chargers too after going to that wembley game and hung out with some san diego men on tour.....great laugh and loved the irish which is always good!

hoping to make it to qualicom stadium on a student j1 in the near future!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

AFC

EAST

Bills themont85

NORTH

SOUTH

Texans

WEST

Chiefs Xavi6

NFC

EAST

NORTH

Packers skeleton_boy, Pherekydes, Conor74, spank inferno, cooker3, me-skywalker, christopher, Eternal Wonder, cheesehead, WakeyTyke, COSATRON

SOUTH

Falcons
    Panthers

WEST

Rams Karluss

First game i ever watched in full was when the denver bronco's beat greenbay packers. it was on channel four and a school night and i stayed up till 4 to watch it. I just thought Brett favre was class that day with his gun slinging attitude and ive supported the cheeseheads since. I think were on the up again if we can get a running back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Firehen wrote: »
    Straightforward enough. I spent some time in San Diego and went to a Chargers - Seahawks preseason game. It wasn't much of a match and most of the big names barely took to the field, but I stuck with the Chargers (and continue to do so).

Why, oh, why did I have to be in San Diego when I became interested in American sport :rolleyes:

Huh?. You could not have been in a better city.

Advertisement