Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you Come by YOUR team

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

cooker3 wrote: »
    I tried watching NFL but could never understand it but like so many people got Madden/NHL double pack thing on the megadrive

That NHL game was the greatest game of all time.

What i loved about it is, if you scored a goal all the opposition players just stood around the goal and you could go around pushing them onto the ground until one of them fought back and you got into a fight..classic :D

(One thing that does annoy about NHL games is icing. wtf is icing??? i think its just a random rule that the refs get to call for no reason, there can't cant be any method to this icing madness)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

The NHL games were always favourites, one of the best was NHL 94 for genesis, you could make the opponents head bleed. Madden is great and it's amazing how so many people got into football that way, but the NCAA Football games are way better! Nothing like the old triple option FWIW.

I always turned icing off on the game options, but in real life it penalizes a team for shooting the puck past center ice and the opposing goal line (not on net) so you can't use it as a defensive crutch and actually have to try and possess the puck as you come out of your defensive zone.

The only good thing about Detroit sports for a while was the Red Wings, anytime anyone would say "Go Lions!", it was always followed by "and take the Tigers (baseball) with you!"

The Lions are seriously the worst run team in all sports worldwide, but hey what can ya do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Wow am I the only Charger fan here!?.......

Been a diehard Bolts fans since the early 80s. Like quite a few of you caught the bug watching it on Ch 4 on a sun night. Wrote to a few teams (like u do when u are a young lad) asking for posters, stickers etc. This was pre-internet ofcourse. The Chargers PR people were so good to me they gained a fan for life. First got to see em live in '94, the Superbowl year!. Have seen them 4 times since including ofcourse London this year.

Having lived through those dark days in the 80s and late 90s early noughties I have been naturally delira with the last few years only to be let down more often than not.

Nevermind I'll bleed blue and gold forever!!.

Oh and anyone who remembers a certain D end in the 80s by the name of Leslie O'Neal will see where I got my handle!.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Going over in a few weeks for the Eagles game on Nov.2. Cannot wait,

GO HAWKS!

Good to see there are a few Hawks fans about - and that they are still prepared to admit it this year. Pity I didn't see this post earlier I would have met you for a scoop. Did you like the smell of Garlic in Qwest? It's an amazing stadium - and the noise is unreal. Any Hawks fans ever planning a trip let me know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

giddyup wrote: »
    Good to see there are a few Hawks fans about - and that they are still prepared to admit it this year. Pity I didn't see this post earlier I would have met you for a scoop. Did you like the smell of Garlic in Qwest? It's an amazing stadium - and the noise is unreal. Any Hawks fans ever planning a trip let me know...

I loved the Garlic Fries alright. The tailgating was some craic as well, drinking and eating like kings from nine in the morning. Its an amazing stadium too, i had a great day, it was just a pity about the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Maybe this thread will help me. I'm trying to decide on a pro football team to support. I enjoy the game, and I'm a big fan of college ball - especially the Florida State Seminoles (my alma mater; when I went to school there, we were good!). But I've never been able to settle on a pro team. I can't cheer for Miami because my brother cheers for Miami and I can't support any team he supports. So I guess that leaves the Jaguars and the Bucs. But the other problem is, I'm from Orlando, so Tampa Bay and Jacksonville are kind of rival cities. I don't know, I can't decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Who was your favourite Seminoles player? Where did he go? You could start that way???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

For All you Pats fans I have some free hosting space and thought to myself there is no web page in Ireland dedicated to our beloved Pats.

So Im going to set one up as myself and one of my friends are diehard fans and it seems like its needed :D

What we need:

Suggested names for website?
    If a Pats fan would you like to be part of this Fansite?
    Anyone know what would be the best type of site to use i.e forum, blog etc etc

Eagle Eye fancy helping out?

davyjose wrote: »
    Who was your favourite Seminoles player? Where did he go? You could start that way???

Charlie Ward, but he didn't end up playing in the NFL, he went to the NBA. I was there during the Weinke/Warrick years, but neither of their pro careers took off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Maybe this thread will help me. I'm trying to decide on a pro football team to support. I enjoy the game, and I'm a big fan of college ball - especially the Florida State Seminoles (my alma mater; when I went to school there, we were good!). But I've never been able to settle on a pro team. I can't cheer for Miami because my brother cheers for Miami and I can't support any team he supports. So I guess that leaves the Jaguars and the Bucs. But the other problem is, I'm from Orlando, so Tampa Bay and Jacksonville are kind of rival cities. I don't know, I can't decide.

You said pro football so it doesnt have to be NFL :p.

The UFL (http://www.ufl-football.com) will have a team in Orlando when it starts up, so there you go, problem solved.

(Although i do see this league following the same route as the XFL)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

started watchin the pats and was taken away by how calm and mature a young tom brady was in the 02 superbowl and since then i always loved them. Bruschi was lik the icing on the cake to see his passion and desire to come back from the stroke

Iang87 wrote: »
    started watchin the pats and was taken away by how calm and mature a young tom brady was in the 02 superbowl and since then i always loved them. Bruschi was lik the icing on the cake to see his passion and desire to come back from the stroke

Welcome to the Boards :) Hey if you fancy helping with the website we go active in new year could do with input from all irish Pats fans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I follow the Patriots because there the family team my cousin went to Boston College and has lived in Boston ever since and hes big into Patroits, Red Sox, Celtics. His Brother marryed a girl from Rhode Island in 2000 and shes a life long fan too so I started following them after that, then they got good the following season. I also follow the Boston College Eagles in College football.

de5p0i1er wrote: »
    I follow the Patriots because there the family team my cousin went to Boston College and has lived in Boston ever since and hes big into Patroits, Red Sox, Celtics. His Brother marryed a girl from Rhode Island in 2000 and shes a life long fan too so I started following them after that, then they got good the following season. I also follow the Boston College Eagles in College football.

Im an Eagles fan also everything Mass I am :) I had 2 friends who went to BC also went to a few Eagles games and was hooked Alumni is such a nice cosy little stadium great atmosphere also.

One of the best things I got at one of their games was a replica helmet and I got it signed by Matt Ryan, Brian Toal and Will Blackmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Started following the 49ers after I spent some time in San Francisco this summer and loved the place. I bought a throwback jersey in Vegas with Montana on the back after getting a history lesson of two guys working in the shop telling me how good Montana was. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

By watching NFL on RTE way back in the 1980's. I started following John Elway & his bucking Broncos. It then went off RTE and I then tried to listen to commentary on the radio, medium wave, with very bad reception..... & now I have Sky with its red button & 6 games a week & multiple highlights/review programs & also the Internet !!!!! doh !

Wow
    Listening to games on the radio, I though I was the only one who did that.

I first watched Superbowl XX (1996) on RTE and the highlights show on Thursday nights the following season and listened to AFN on Sunday nights in bed, I even recored part of a Giants v Redskins game on my tape deck, I still have it in a box somewhere.

In 1987 the Falcons got off to a 4-0 start to I followed them, but I still loved the likes of Elway.

I then lost interest for a while but when I moved to Boston in 1996 I stared following the Pats and have done ever since.

Now I watch the games on the Internet on a Sunday night (I am back in Ireland), it's a long way for AFN on a MW radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fox1978

Started following Pats due to family. Mother is from Foxboro, where the Pats play, so always followed them, even during the dismal 90s and that SB defeat to the Bears in '85 when seems everyone in Ireland and the UK knew all about the Fridge. Don't know if the NFL will ever reach the popularity it had back then, on Channel 4, everyone knew about the Bears and Perry, etc. Hope it does. I think it's definitely getting more popular now with the Wembley games, etc. Been to several Pats games in Foxboro (including the demolition of the NFC-Championship-Contender Cardinals 47-7 in the snow in December). Huge Pats fans these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

PACKERS!
    being young myself im onyl a noob fan as in past 2years but was a strange combination of 3things

1. HUNGOVER CITY!! watching one of them archive programmes one morning and i rememeber seeing the packers vrs cowboys in the icebowl blizzard pitch was frozen over nad was thinkign my god they are fkcin warriors!!

2. then i was reading up about the packers and brett farve and how he had started every game for the past 16 years beating marinos TD record.. same thinking that he was a WARRIOR!

3. Green jesrsey already had plenty of them haha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Giants. got a t - shirt when i was six from some relations in New York and ive been a die hard fan ever sine. i also lived over there for a few months. Went to the season opener this year, Giants v Redskins at the meadowlands. Best day of my life!!

I also follow the patriots a bit because my uncle lives in Boston, so he trys to beat it into me!! he used to give me patriots stuff for christmas when the giants sucked. he would always say something like 'happy christmas, support a real team'!!!

Me and one of my friends always had a soft spot for the cardinals aswell cos they sucked all the time. Its nice to see them do well, finally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For All you Pats fans I have some free hosting space and thought to myself there is no web page in Ireland dedicated to our beloved Pats.

So Im going to set one up as myself and one of my friends are diehard fans and it seems like its needed :D

What we need:

Suggested names for website?
    If a Pats fan would you like to be part of this Fansite?
    Anyone know what would be the best type of site to use i.e forum, blog etc etc

Eagle Eye fancy helping out?
    Sorry man, I just seen this now. I am happy to help out in any way I can.

As for a a name, I gotta think about that for a while but I'll come up with something and see what you think.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    As for a a name, I gotta think about that for a while but I'll come up with something and see what you think.

how about : fairweatherfans.com ??? I hear Chelsea FC are pretty much finished with it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

davyjose wrote: »
    how about : fairweatherfans.com ??? I hear Chelsea FC are pretty much finished with it. :D
    Well I've been following the Patrots for a bit longer than that, I had to suffer some very bad seasons so I don't think so.:)

But it is great to be a supporter now. I fear the day when theres no Tom Brady and no Bill Belichick.

Well I've been following the Patrots for a bit longer than that, I had to suffer some very bad seasons so I don't think so.:)

But it is great to be a supporter now. I fear the day when theres no Tom Brady and no Bill Belichick.

I'm only kidding. No offense meant ;). Sure I'm only a Colts fan in the last few years so I can hardly talk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The Bills i know...its terrible. I started to support them because i was in the States when i was younger visiting family and the Superbowl was on and i always liked blue...

I think it was the third superbowl of the 4 they lost in a row. Still can't get over that, 4! I can't find any similar analagy in any other sport.

Well through the years my intrest has mainly been confined to playing Madden up until recently in the last 5 years or so when ive watched a decent bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

eagles for me....10 years hard labor in philly was what done it!

not gonna jinx them by talking them up too much...been this close in the recent past only to end up bridesmaid:(..here's hoping!

Guys like us will still be standing tall fook the fair weather aholes. Nothing worse meeting a so called fan and they know jack sh1t about the team or its history. Ask them a question pre 2001 and they are stumped. At least know the teams history or lack of :D ffs.

Been a Pats fan through think and thin last 17 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

I spent my J1 this summer in Chicago and watched a couple of pre-season Bears games so that's the team I look out for.

I randomly bought a Cowboys jersey in San Francisco and wore it in Vegas, would not recommend doing this. So many people come up to you thinking you're a fan and ask all sorts of questions, like do I think they stand a chance of winning this season, who is my favourite player, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

I started supporting the raiders because of this simpsons skit:

Homer: Who do you like in the afternoon games?
    Lisa: Well, I like the 49ers because they're pure of heart,
    Seattle because they've got something to prove,
    and the Raiders because they always cheat.
    [later]
    Brent: And on an extreeeeeemely suspicious play, the Raiders win!
    -- ``Lisa the Greek''

I finally settled on the Jags :)

• Advertisement

I finally settled on the Jags :)

One of the most unsupported teams in the NFL. Its sad really the can't get fans. I can see the Jags being moved out of Jacksonville in the next 5 years.

Advertisement