Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you Come by YOUR team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not a big fan or anything but the team I'd like to see win most is the New Orleans Saints. I'm a st pats fan so it was either the pats or the Saints and I chose the Saints. Wouldn't dare to call myself a fan though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

First became a 49ers fan by watching the playoff game against the Giants in 2002 and just became fascinated with their offensive display in which they came back to win 38-39 one of the largest comebacks in Playoff history. Though I knew nothing of American Football and was a bit of an Arsenal nut I decided to become a Niners fan without knowing anything about their history etc.

Went to a game in Candlestick in 2005 as a Birthday present :). Alex smiths debut IIRC they were hammered 28-3 but never the less enjoyed that far more then I did at the London game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

New York Giants since about 1995...

Had the original Madden on the Sega Megadrive. Loved playing with the Giants and I liked New York... Watched the channel 4 shows when they were on and started supporting the Giants then.

Did my J1 in NYC and have spent a lot of time there since, so it was really an easy choice :-)

I spend a lot of time with work in the US, in Philadelphia in particular, so I look out for the Eagles scores. Like to see them do well...

WOO-HOO! Another Jints fan...but you can't support the Giants and the Eagles, the two just don't go together. Same goes for any NFL team and their division rivals.

After a few years of supporting the Giants, I started to realise I really hate the Cowboys, Redskins and Eagles. It was then I realised this was because they played each of those teams twice a year. Under the old division alignment, the Cardinals were also in the NFC East but they were always crap back then so my hatred never spread to them much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Still love all aspects of the game too. Its funny but being Irish you can tend to look at the NFL with a more neutral eye. For example, my all-time favourite QB would be John Elway (anyone who has seen "the Drive" will know what I mean!!). Ask any Oakland resident if they like Elway and they will probably spit at you!!!! So its nice to be able to follow it "from a distance"!!!

That's advantage of being from far away alright. Some of the fan forums are ridiculous. All other players and teams are the enemy. All players on your team when your team wins are Pro Bowlers definitely, if not All-Pro. Maybe future HOF. All players on your team when your team loses need to be traded straight away because they are uncommitted and way overrated, and they never should have been drafted in the first place. Coaches usually always need to be fired.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Anyone who's old enough might remember a show called the Superstars from the late 70s, early 80s. The first American footballer I came across was a majestic athlete called James Lofton. He won the 100m, half mile, weighlifting and obstacle course. He was in the same heat as our own Eamonn Coghlan. In 1978 he won the NCAA 100m, 200m and Long Jump, the same year he was drafted by the Green Bay Packers. The Packers wear Green and Gold and play in the smallest city in pro sports in North America. What was not to like? So I've been following the Packers since 1982!

I remember Mark Gastineau being on Superstars, although he's not the reason I support the Jets.

When I started following American Football in the late 80s the Jets QB was Ken O'Brien and the kicker was Pat Leahy. Added to the fact that they played in green, I reckoned it was a close as I was going to get to an Irish team in the NFL, and so began many years of torment and disappointment. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Karlusss wrote: »
    That's advantage of being from far away alright. Some of the fan forums are ridiculous. All other players and teams are the enemy. All players on your team when your team wins are Pro Bowlers definitely, if not All-Pro. Maybe future HOF. All players on your team when your team loses need to be traded straight away because they are uncommitted and way overrated, and they never should have been drafted in the first place. Coaches usually always need to be fired.

Passionate about their own teams really. Same can be said about other sports prime example Soccer. I spend alot of time in the US with guys who cant see past their own teams and it just reminds me sitting in The Kop in Andfield in Liverpool same attitudes different sport. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'm a Red Sox fan, so I opted for the Pats so as to be able to hit two games in the one trip. Whever I do get to Boston, that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Always been a big fan of the NFL since i was about 12 never really had a team just loved the sport. My dad used to watch the odd game on Sunday nights so thats how i got into it.

Theres a few funny pictures of me and my cousins when we were younger with hurling helmets running with an american football and smashing helmets off each other.

I became a Pats fan about 4 years ago when i knew i was moving to Boston for 6 months. Went to 2 preseason games and the opener against the Bills.

Im moving over there for the next couple of years in November and I have got tickets for the Bills game and the Steelers game :D Might try and catch the Cardinals game depending on if i can get home for christmass or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Had to register on Boards when i seen this topic!
    It started back in 94 when i purchased my Sega Megadrive, one of the games with it was Madden. I took a liking to the Seattle Seahawks, not sure why but they ended up stealing my heart! Unknown to me at the time though, i had some sort of relations living in Seattle,think they were second cousins or something. They ended up visited Ireland in 99 after making contact with my parents and brought with them an UNREAL amount of Seahawks gear as presents for us kids. It was a pure coincidence!
    Going over in a few weeks for the Eagles game on Nov.2. Cannot wait,

GO HAWKS!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

Used to love watching the NFL on RTE in the 80’s especially the Bears and the Giants. Next American Football I remember was being on a soccer trip to London in the 90’s and going to see Wembley where the London Monarch’s were playing the same day, didn’t get to go to the game but watched it on TV. Kept an eye on NFL in general for a while until I met my wife who has a sister in Florida. First time over in 2000 went to see the Dolphins against the Ravens in Dolphin Stadium. Half time of the game Dan Marino’s number was retired, big show, fireworks, etc. Dolphins won and I was now a Dolfan!! Went to see them last year in the London game and am going to the 49ers game in Miami at the start of December.
    I have been to 2 Dolphins games and both times the opposition have gone on to win the Superbowl!! Is this an omen for the 49ers???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Don't get on that flight, its gonna crash. Well thats more likely than the 49ers winning the Superbowl.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The wife is from Milwaukee so all my in-laws are major Cheese-heads!
    I getting more into it, I only learned what a "down" meant at last years thankgiving game against the lions I think?

So for what its worth, Packers Rule!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I was in Florida on a holiday with my family when i was 6 and saw NFL on TV, was the coolest thing i had ever seen, i HAD to get a jersey, so in a mall the next day my dad said he would buy me one (my dad was a big NFL Channel 4 man) and my favourite jersey was the Teal coloured Jaguars jersey, i think it was after their 1st or 2nd year in the NFL.

I kind of forgot about NFL untill, one day my mate bought "NFL Quaterback Club 2000" on the N64 and as i was wondering which team to pick i recognised the Jags jersey. Mark Brunell, Jimmy Smith... Loved them ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

Watched Home Improvement a lot when I was younger. They lived in Detroit, supported the Lions. So I followed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

faulk28 wrote: »
    Watched Home Improvement a lot when I was younger. They lived in Detroit, supported the Lions. So I followed them.

It must be tough to get up on a Sunday morning for you, y'know... being 0-11 right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Would'nt be a huge fan of any one team but if anybody was asking I would say the Jets.
    Didnt really have any solid reason for settling on them but I wanted to follow a team from New York and between the Jets and the giants it was an easy choice (just never really liked the Giants).

I have a soft spot for loads of teams though and I also like the Colts, Browns, Lions..like I said not a huge fan of any one team:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

Vikings wrote: »
    It must be tough to get up on a Sunday morning for you, y'know... being 0-11 right now :D
    Kind of used to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

Started playing it before I watched it (Celts-1984)... majority of people I knew were Redskin fans at the time but when the Bears knocked them out of the playoffs I knew that they were the team for me. Ironic that they won the superbowl the next year & even managed to see them in the pre-season game vs the Cowboys in Wembley, Aug 1986. Chicago, like many others is a team with great history behind it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Oakland Raiders :o

I remember being in America one year and it was the first game I'd ever watched end to end. They lost IIRC but I thought their crest was cool... :p

I was also in the US the year the Longhorns played USC in the NCAA Rose Bowl.

Reggie Bush and Vince Young.
    That was an awesome game.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭cambridge7

Been a Seahawks fan since the Steve Largent and Brian Bosworth (The Boz) days from the mid eighties.Twelfth man. GO HAWKS.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Kevin11

By watching NFL on RTE way back in the 1980's. I started following John Elway & his bucking Broncos. It then went off RTE and I then tried to listen to commentary on the radio, medium wave, with very bad reception.....
    What was that radio station? Used to listen to it too. Was it one for the armed forces abroad or something?
    Liked the Broncos of the late 80s. Also it was a time of Montana/Rice and the 49ers. I have always liked the underdog so was attracted to a team with cool black and gold strip who played in a huge dome and were in same division as the 49ers... they always used to finish 2nd and get spanked in the wild card game :(..
    Thats how I began following the New Orleans Saints

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

I've watched American football on and off for years. The first season I really followed it religiously was 2006. That year I really connected with the Saints and all the Katrina stuff. Add that to the explosive rookie that was Reggie Bush and I was hooked. That year was the first year I bought Madden, I played as the Saints so I could run with Reggie, I 've been a Saints fan since. I was at Wembley this year to see them, I really feel like their my team now, can't imagine changing allegiance. Who Dat?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭golfnuts

Been a Giants fan since the Phil Simms era, but have been a fan of Favre, Montanna, Marino, Young, Elway,Aikeman.....thats just to name a few.

Think my postition would be QB or WR...but at 30 something I think my days are numbered.

C'mon NYG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Frisbee wrote: »

I was also in the US the year the Longhorns played USC in the NCAA Rose Bowl.

Reggie Bush and Vince Young.
    That was an awesome game.

This is the only full length college game i have ever watched and it was a repeat on ESPN Classic and I didnt know who won when watching it. It was an unbelieveable game. I watched the game with a friend of mine who never before watched a football game before and he thought it was the most exciting game of sport he has ever watched (It did help that the repeat cut out most of the ads and downtime).

006713546.jpg

I love this picture

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm a student at USC, so fight on Trojans!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

the indie colts:D...

it was through my cousin that i started to watch the NFL. I only started supporting the game about this time last season when i saw my cousin watch indianapolis play. i watched it for a few mins and started to like it, he is a colts fan to so thats really how i started supporting them....

come on colts!!!.... were making the playoffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Patriots. Spent a lot of time hanging out with a guy from Boston who was Patriots mad, dragging me to watch games and eventually fell in love with the sport.

Also have a soft spot for the Giants. After the conference finals last year, when Giants were the least favourite of the 4 teams left to win the Superbowl, I - for some strange reason - back them to win it. And look what happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

I first started following the NFL in 1999 thanks to my cousin. I read up on the history of the Raiders and I loved their "us against the world" attitude so i chose them to follow.

I loved Rich Gannon as our QB and would loved to have seen him play as I consider him one of my all time favourites.

Since then i've been following the silver and black without fail and my attic is completely decked out with Raiders gear from flags to street signs to helmets! Its like a mini Raider Nation.

***JUST WIN BABY***

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

Vikings wrote: »

It hurts to be a lions fan. If they don't win against what I'm assuming is your team on Sunday, they're seriously looking at 0-16!

Most years it's tolerable because of U of M being respectable, but they took a crap on the field this year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I tried watching NFL but could never understand it but like so many people got Madden/NHL double pack thing on the megadrive and played it and started to understand it and like it.
    We just got sky so decided to watch a game back in the day when they showed 1 match a week at 9pm and it was Tampa Bay vs Green Bay. I decided whoever won I would support and the Packers duly took it down and supported them ever since.

Advertisement