Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you go out with a religeous person?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I would, and have done so in the past. I wouldn't disregard a woman for being a communist, or whatever. Why would I discriminate based on a personal belief?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I would, and have done so in the past. I wouldn't disregard a woman for being a communist, or whatever. Why would I discriminate based on a personal belief?

What's wrong with communism?

What's wrong with communism?

Famine, generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

To the OP: i wouldn't advise getting into a relationship with a religious person. your instincts are right.
    Weidii wrote: »

To any religious person who may be reading this:

Could you get into/stay in a relationship with an athiest, agnostic or *gasp* anti theist?
    no, yes, and definitely not!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Famine, generally.

You wouldn't disregard somebody for going through a famine? Handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

stepinnman wrote: »
    religion is man's answer to the conundrum of death -it's the common thread of all religions. They all promise some sort of life after death. Our inability to comprehend our own mortality requires that we deny it by creating an untouchable, ethereal other-world.

I profess to be an atheist and I claim that this position I've taken is based on years of thought on the topic and genuine internal struggle. My girlfriend is a Catholic and has a strong faith. Unlike previous posters on this thread her faith is not a reason for me to in any way disrespect her or act in a condescending manner to her. She has had an awful lot of tragedy in her life, more than most people could cope with and still achieve all the things she's done. Unfortunately this year her mother, who was everything to her died very young and very suddenly with no warning.

I would be very interested to know how many of the atheists on this thread have had a genuine experience of death (not a grandparent or Uncle or Aunt, but a parent or child or partner) and still held true to their opinion. I readily admit that it is the one experience I have yet to personally have and I can only imagine that my "faith" in atheism will be tested when it comes.

Great Question. For me personally it was personal tragedy that actually drove me away from organised religion; not the other away around as my faith at the time gave me absolutely no comfort and if anything, made me feel worse..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

stepinnman wrote: »

I would be very interested to know how many of the atheists on this thread have had a genuine experience of death (not a grandparent or Uncle or Aunt, but a parent or child or partner) and still held true to their opinion. I readily admit that it is the one experience I have yet to personally have and I can only imagine that my "faith" in atheism will be tested when it comes.

I've had three direct family members die. It's not swayed me in the least. Wishing something was true (an afterlife etc), as they say, certainly does not make it so.

You wouldn't disregard somebody for going through a famine? Handy.

I thought you asked me what was wrong with communism?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Wouldn't call myself religious but some of the beliefs with which I was brought up I still hold dear!

I go to mass on occasion for me it’s like visiting and old friend that uplifts and always offers a different perspective.
    I pray because it’s my way of appreciating all the good things I have, it balances filters and makes me feel good.
    I believe there is a special place of sublime destination where those who leave this world visit! I can’t go there and sure as hell can[' t explain it - but despite our intelligence this is not something we can draw a conclusion through science.

So that’s the way I see it - just to offer a different perspective.

I had a relationship with a definite atheist- first time he realized was a couple of months into seeing each other when I absconded on a Sunday morning - tbh wasn't going to tell him where I'd been..
    When I said mass the shock and annoyance turned into anger. Could and maybe should have told him before. But I knwe he'd see the light and realize how fabulous and wonderful I was :) for the most time we were together made a terrific couple. It didn’t work out but was a great experience for both of us!
    Sensibilities aside if you like someone you like them! Boxing people is never a positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Tim Robbins and Valmont do you honestly believe that to be true?

The aspects of 'personality' that Zillah mentioned are not aspects of personality as understood from a psychological standpoint. The 5 factor model of personality is the most empirically verified theory of personality and there is absolutely no correlation between a 5 factor pattern and religious belief. Case closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ok so you're just quibbling over semantics...? I was using the word personality in the casual day to day sense, not the clinical sense. Y'know, that whole "she has a great personality" thing. Where you describe their traits and habits? Regardless, you're not actually arguing with the point I made about religious belief affecting aspects of a person's behaviours and views, you're kind of starting another argument over whether they count as "personality". I don't care, I concede 100%, it has nothing to do with the thread.

Also holy argument resurrection batman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Weidii wrote: »
    It would also be interesting to hear the other side of this.

To any religious person who may be reading this:

Could you get into/stay in a relationship with an athiest, agnostic or *gasp* anti theist?

Well I'm a believer so I may as well answer your question:

Could I get into and stay in a relationship with an atheist, agnostic, or anti-theist?

I'd prefer to be in a relationship with a Christian, someone who understands why I am the way I am, and probably someone who would be able to get into deep discussions about things to do with God, and other things. I'm philosophically minded and I think it would be fair to say that most people of faith are.

As for atheist, agnostics, or anti-theist. It depends on how vocal. If any of these could understand the way I am and be willing to understand me better because of it, I don't see how that wound hinder anything. I think in all probability an agnostic would be more compatible with me on these issues than an atheist or an anti-theist. I personally wouldn't be able to tolerate a militant atheist constantly criticising me for my faith. It's a part of me and a part of who I am.

However, I wouldn't be one to rule out other religions either. I think a Jew or a Muslim could be rather compatible due to all three being faiths of Abraham.

Jakkass wrote: »
    Well I'm a believer so I may as well answer your question:

Could I get into and stay in a relationship with an atheist, agnostic, or anti-theist?

I'd prefer to be in a relationship with a Christian, someone who understands why I am the way I am, and probably someone who would be able to get into deep discussions about things to do with God, and other things. I'm philosophically minded and I think it would be fair to say that most people of faith are.

As for atheist, agnostics, or anti-theist. It depends on how vocal. If any of these could understand the way I am and be willing to understand me better because of it, I don't see how that wound hinder anything. I think in all probability an agnostic would be more compatible with me on these issues than an atheist or an anti-theist. I personally wouldn't be able to tolerate a militant atheist constantly criticising me for my faith. It's a part of me and a part of who I am.

However, I wouldn't be one to rule out other religions either. I think a Jew or a Muslim could be rather compatible due to all three being faiths of Abraham.

What about when it comes to the issue of raising kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Valmont wrote: »
    "The fact that someone is religeous suggests something about their personality/mindset to me,"

I was referring to this by the OP and I got the impression he was trying to delineate a causal factor from one's personality that would make someone become religious. I made the point that there isn't even a link between personality and religious belief and I'd rather go by the scientific (almost) definition of personality than the 'day to day' one.

Your casual definition of personality lead you to see a link that doesn't exist. I'm trying to say that belief isn't enough to change someone's personality, which is, according to psychological models, stable and enduring throughout an individual's life. I decided to quibble over the semantics because this is one area I actually know a lot about!

I only started using the 'find all posts by Valmont' option last week so I've found lots of debates that I forgot about or lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I'd prefer to be in a relationship with a Christian, someone who understands why I am the way I am, and probably someone who would be able to get into deep discussions about things to do with God, and other things.

would you date a strict Catholic? One who didn't believe in sex before marriage, would not use contraceptives and who believed in a torturous hell for unbelievers.

Would you date a Creationist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

would you date a strict Catholic? One who didn't believe in sex before marriage, would not use contraceptives and who believed in a torturous hell for unbelievers.

No and NEVER. I am 100 % atheist. I do not believe in god whatsoever. Enjoy life is my motto! I couldn't go out with or marry a very religious person. Howver i wouldn't have a problem with someone that goes to mass once a week etc. There's no point being overly antagonistic towards religious people. Creationists scientoligists etc i couldn't even stand to talk to. Brain washed sheep as far as im concerned. My question as always to religious larks

Why should you worship a higher being?

Why should you worship a higher being?

Because they'll inflict limitless pain upon you for eternity if you don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Zillah wrote: »

No pain no gain! Stop being so scared. Look fear in the eyes and then kock it out!

picard_facepalm.jpg

What about when it comes to the issue of raising kids?

I thought we were considering going out, rather than marriage. In that respect being a Christian is preferrable certainly.

1) Would I date a strict Catholic?
    Christianity is Christianity irrespective of the denomination. I'm personally not Catholic, but I don't see there being enormous differences.

2) Who didn't believe in sex before marriage?
    I don't either, I think waiting until marriage is best.

3) Who would not use contraceptives?
    This is something that would have to be discussed at some point probably. There is no Biblical reason to forbid using contraceptives in marriage.

4) Who believed in hell for unbelievers?
    I believe that there is such a thing as hell, and I think it's rather clearly depicted in the New Testament in Christ's words. We have been given a means of salvation, it is a choice whether or not to accept or reject.

5) Would I date a Creationist?
    Yes, why not? Some good friends of mine are creationists. I don't see it having much of an impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Enough with the Star Trek facepalms!

holy-facepalm.jpg

Zillah wrote: »

Well, technically he outsources that service.

I thought we were considering going out, rather than marriage. In that respect being a Christian is preferrable certainly.

But lets say you met an agnostic, fell in love and got married.

I'd imagine the style of raising children would be an issue, perhaps.

It's something I have thought about, and I hope I don't have to contend with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Well, technically he outsources that service.
    Yes, I have heard that Bangalore can be quite hellish...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I don't either, I think waiting until marriage is best.

What if she didn't believe in no sex before marriage?
    There is no Biblical reason to forbid using contraceptives in marriage.

depends on how you interpret the bible tbh. I'm sure Catholics can "understand" certain scriptures in a way that will give weight to their beliefs about contraception.
    Yes, why not? Some good friends of mine are creationists. I don't see it having much of an impact.

I suppose it's to be expected, I remember you saying you where a creationist yourself once.

But the question comes back to your children, as Flamed Diving mentioned. If your wife wants your child to be exempt from evolution classes and teaches your child that humans lived alongside dinosaurs you'd be okay with that?

What if she didn't believe in no sex before marriage?

It would be entirely up to her as to whether or not she would be able to tolerate it.
    depends on how you interpret the bible tbh. I'm sure Catholics can "understand" certain scriptures in a way that will give weight to their beliefs about contraception.

I really don't think that would be a major issue if I truly was in love with someone I'm sure I could overcome that boundary or that the understanding may change within time.
    I suppose it's to be expected, I remember you saying you where a creationist yourself once.

I really doubt the position over whether God created the world in 7 days or not is really going to end a relationship in all reality.
    But the question comes back to your children, as Flamed Diving mentioned. If your wife wants your child to be exempt from evolution classes and teaches your child that humans lived alongside dinosaurs you'd be okay with that?

I'd probably encourage that both understandings should be learned in a situation like that.
    But lets say you met an agnostic, fell in love and got married.

I'd imagine the style of raising children would be an issue, perhaps.

It's something I have thought about, and I hope I don't have to contend with it.

Say I did.

I don't think it's much to ask that I would be able to read the Bible to my own child/ren occasionally. That's about the height of it. I've said that being married to a Christian would be preferrable in a case like that, so that I would be able to do that, say grace every so often before meals amongst other things.

I think anyone who would begrudge their Christian spouse to read from the Bible with their children is a touch intolerant though.

I think anyone who would begrudge their Christian spouse to read from the Bible with their children is a touch intolerant though.

I would have no problem with that, as long as there was room for other religions/beliefs in the child's education. I think to encourage a child to be agnostic (ie dont worry about it yet) and open-minded would be the best thing. They can choose what they want once they reach the right age.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'd probably encourage that both understandings should be learned in a situation like that.

Both understandings? I suppose you would want your child's school to teach sexual reproduction and the story of the stork as possible options as to where babies come from?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭smileykey

I have some very close friends who are very religious but privately so. I could go out with someone like that. The judgemental type who try to push it on you or try to apply their religious standards to my life and my lifestyle, I couldn't. But that's not so much because of their religion, I couldn't date anyone who wouldn't let me be myself or accept that we have different outlooks, beliefs, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Nope, i have done in the past and it always lead to to many issues. I found that while i was more than willing to repect their right to believe they were not willing to respect my right not to.

Advertisement