Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you go out with a religeous person?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

robindch wrote: »
    Depends on the kind of religion really. Can't imagine all that much trouble with a couple-of-times a year church-goer or perhaps even a sunday catholic, if she scores high everywhere else.
    My fiance is a church goer. I think you'll find most couples will disagree on something. One might be a Vegetarian the other a carnivore. One might vote PD the other hate them. One might believe in private schools, the other loath them. One might be a Rugger head. The other a GAA head. One might like simple holidays. The other sporty ones. One might like to drive fast. The other slow. One might prefer Mexican, the other Italian.

You'll always get differences unless one person is dominating over the other.
    As sad as it sounds, what it comes down to is if you love each other. Then you relationship will just progress. Opposites sometimes do attract. Prior to this relationship, I had gone out with non church goers but I just didn't love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I draw the line at the Clergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

aidan24326 wrote: »
    It isn't intolerant at all though

Yes it is. Intolerance is only a bad thing if its based on misconceptions. I will not tolerate religious thinking in a partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Don't think it would work. They'd be offended by my views & although I wouldn't be offended, I'd have little time for theirs

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I could put up with a Christmas and Easter Christian, but that's about it. Anything more than that and it would never work. I'm far too much of an atheist to date anyone with more than nominal faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Zillah wrote: »
    Yes it is. Intolerance is only a bad thing if its based on misconceptions. I will not tolerate religious thinking in a partner.

I suppose you're right that it is intolerance, it just shows how that word immediately provokes a negative reaction even though its meaning in a given context doesn't have to be negative. It's a loaded word and I fell into the trap!
    I could put up with a Christmas and Easter Christian, but that's about it.

Sometimes the wishy-washy sunday morning christians are nearly more annoying. You have to wonder what they're getting out of it. At least the christian fundie really believes in the damn thing hook line and sinker. Some of the more half-hearted religious types aren't too sure what they believe but cling to the label nonetheless, be it catholic or whatever else. I mean what's the point?

That would be like someone calling himself a Liverpool supporter even though he's never been to see them play, can barely name half the team and doesn't even bother to watch the games on tv except the odd time. In what meaningful way is he a 'supporter'?

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I suppose you're right that it is intolerance, it just shows how that word immediately provokes a negative reaction even though its meaning in a given context doesn't have to be negative. It's a loaded word and I fell into the trap!

Intolerance is great!*

I think its wonderful that society is intolerant of murder and stealing and rape and all that sort of stuff.

Where people disagree is what exactly warrants intolerance.

*Please do not quote out of context

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zillah wrote: »
    Intolerance is great!
    Quoted for future reference. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Is this thread not all just a bit moot? I mean if you were going to a dating agency and you specified no christians please then you can filter out the believers. But in real life, (I think it's safe to say most people meet outside dating agencies) you meet people and you either fancy / love them or you don't.

I mean do you logically decide to love someone or do you just love them?

And if you have to decide to love them is that really love?

It is hard to avoid over here so yes as long as they are not some born again or something. I can live comfortably with christmas and easter.

When I lived in London I dated a Sikh girl and a Jewish girl for a while. They both took their religions seriously and observed random special days with fasting or whatever. Those relationships weren't going anywhere as they didn't even want me to meet their family. (Edit: or for their families to even know about me.)

The Sikh girl was hot though which made up for it, forbidden fruit and all that.

• Advertisement

I mean do you logically decide to love someone or do you just love them?

You can logically decide to not act on that love if you predict that the relationship will be torn painfully apart later when it comes to issues such as charity, family, weddings, funerals and possibly most importantly, children.

Anyway, stop being a moaning Michael, the thread title asks the question "Could you go out with..." not "Could you love..."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

personally i would have thought that it would be impossible for me but I am currently seeing a Polish girl, catholic of course! Not a church goer though. I do sometimes have to bite the tongue sometimes but in general its not a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Luckily my wife is also a non-believer and rabidly anti-catholic (as I am). She does however have an interest in traditional medicine, holistic medicine and does talk about chakras, which sometimes irritates me. Makes for great debate. She thinks there's something that lies behind the mystery of the universe. I just say (as Hawking coined) what's north of the north pole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

I thnk I'd have no problem as long as said person wasn't a Bible basher(or other religion equivalent). You know what I mean by Bible basher, someone who uses the Bible to bash and belittle other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

karen3212 wrote: »
    You know what I mean by Bible basher, someone who uses the Bible to bash and belittle other people.

Anyone who uses the bible for this pupose is very religious and not at all very Christian!
    I, as a Christian could no more go out with someone like this no more than I could go out with a non Christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I could put up with a Christmas and Easter Christian, but that's about it.

But then, Easter and Christmas (well, the tree bit) are pagan celebrations :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Weidii wrote: »

That's what I always say when people start talking about the "true" meaning of Christmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Weidii wrote: »

Yeah, because those pesky pagans just loved celebrating the birth, death and resurrection of Christ.

Yeah, because those pesky pagans just loved celebrating the birth, death and resurrection of Christ.

People were celebrating other gods, yule and the winter solstice long before yer man was around.

Hardly a revelation. We have such'bombshells dropped on the Christianity forum (usually accompanied with a clip from the Zeitgeist Movie) on a fairly regular basis. That people were celebrating other things around the same time does noting to invalidate Christianity.

• Advertisement

Hardly a revelation. We have such'bombshells dropped on the Christianity forum (usually accompanied with a clip from the Zeitgeist Movie) on a fairly regular basis. That people were celebrating other things around the same time does noting to invalidate Christianity.

I'm just refuting you, not trying to invalidate Christianity (at the moment). It's just not the true meaning of christmas, that's all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Malari wrote: »
    It's just not the true meaning of christmas, that's all.
    Sometimes, amongst all the fuss, it's easy to forget that Christmas is Santa's birthday.

I'm just refuting you, not trying to invalidate Christianity (at the moment). It's just not the true meaning of christmas, that's all.

While I fully accept that there is no biblical basis for the 25th of December being celebrated as the birth of Jesus, it is clear that the true meaning of Christmas (and we'll ignore all the manic present giving for mow) has it's basis in Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

While I fully accept that there is no biblical basis for the 25th of December being celebrated as the birth of Jesus, it is clear that the true meaning of Christmas (and we'll ignore all the manic present giving for mow) has it's basis in Christianity.

Only in name. The holiday is based on the winter solstice.

OK, I'm going to call it Xmas in future. Works for Xtina Aguilera...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

OK, I'm going to call it Xmas in future.
    Been calling it Saturnalia or Midwinter for years. Even had a few converts, praise be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

robindch wrote: »
    Been calling it Saturnalia or Midwinter for years. Even had a few converts, praise be!

Personally I sick with Festivus... Frank Cozstansa cannot be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 berbatov31

..can you imagine going out with an ian paisley craw thumping unionist, marching through the kitchen all day spouting their fascist rants. those inbred ****s!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Fair enough, but what it does show is that christianity hijacked what was originally a pagan festival. Why don't christians celebrate Jesus birthday on it's real date? Oh hang on, you haven't a clue when he was born, much like we know very little about his life in general. There are reasons to be sceptical as to whether such a man even existed, but that's a whole other ball game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Just HOW religious are we talking here? Creationist? - personally, if they were hot and didn't care about the "no sex before marriage" thing - maybe.</P>otherwise no, especially a creationist, I don't think my sarky humour could put up with that sort of (what I personally regard as) stupidity. (I am that shallow). Although I hope my fiancee doesn't read this hypotethical answer
    :p

Advertisement