Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

432038109.png

Finally getting the speed I should be on a 3meg connection after hounding Imagine who in turn hounded Eircom to finally fix a line fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

anyone using the 02 test? seems to get exact same results as speedtest.net only faster

http://webkit.o2online.ie/broadbandspeedtest/index.html

also - dunno about you guys but blacknight speed test i don't trust - only ever shows 3.5mb when i get 4.5-5mb on speedtest/02. 7mb Eircom home

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Can anyone recommend an accurate speed test?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well everyone here, as you can see, is using http://www.speedtest.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

434835070.png

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Well everyone here, as you can see, is using http://www.speedtest.net/

Cheers pal but as you probably know speedtest.net is the only site that (i know of) you can share and post the results on a third party site. So that's why other results that might be more accurate may not be posted here as there probably isn't any external links to share your result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Go to ftp.heanet.ie and look for a nice big ISO file, download it and it will give you a very good idea of your connection speed.

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

Is the most reliable, for use with any ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

435628851.png
    My upload has dropped by a factor of five at least. No explanation from DigiWeb. They say they can't detect my equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I am in dublin 8 with the ntl/upc 10mb package and it's been like this for the last 2 weeks. Totally unusable until maybe after midnight. Here's a summary of speedtest.net results from several nights.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=75679&stc=1&d=1238003233

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mcfast

437836559.png

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 3raser

438396025.png

My 3mb package is nerfed? I was getting full speeds in late 2008 what's eircom up to?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

cisk wrote: »
    http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

Is the most reliable, for use with any ISP.

That's a load of h*******t. Magnet's speedtest is developed by the Ookla boys (the guys that own speedtest.net) and is the exact same speedtest as speedtest.net in a different skin.

How reliable a speedtest is (in regards to figures) depends on which ISP you are with, what connectivity it has to the speedtest server, if you use a wireless router or not, how crap your network card or adsl modem is and what operating system you use (Vista is an absolute non-runner).

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Marlow wrote: »
    That's a load of h*******t. Magnet's speedtest is developed by the Ookla boys (the guys that own speedtest.net) and is the exact same speedtest as speedtest.net in a different skin.

How reliable a speedtest is (in regards to figures) depends on which ISP you are with, what connectivity it has to the speedtest server, if you use a wireless router or not, how crap your network card or adsl modem is and what operating system you use (Vista is an absolute non-runner).

/M

Easy there....no need to nail people. There can be big differences in the tests and this sometimes leads people astray.

Rorser wrote: »
    Easy there....no need to nail people. There can be big differences in the tests and this sometimes leads people astray.

Correct, but just stating: "Magnets speedtest is the most accurate", is the most wrong thing anyone ever could come up with.

Magnets speedtest is the most accurate, if you are a Magnet customer: correct.

Magnets speedtest is the most accurate, if you not are a Magnet customer: wrong.

And I can get more specific, but we'll leave it at that.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Correct, but just stating: "Magnets speedtest is the most accurate", is the most wrong thing anyone ever could come up with.

Magnets speedtest is the most accurate, if you are a Magnet customer: correct.

Magnets speedtest is the most accurate, if you not are a Magnet customer: wrong.

And I can get more specific, but we'll leave it at that.

/M

I'm pretty sure you are right....our development team told me something along these lines before. I'm just saying that not everyone will be right on the money when it comes to these things so a little leeway is always appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Terrible most of the day. Even after resetting modem a few times.

439321505.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

439345217.png

Eircom 7mb package, that upload speed is wrong, so ****ing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fintaneduffy

441577669.png

o2 broadband, happy enough with it

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

441577669.png

Really? Shocking upload speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

278067715.png

I'm with BT and at face value these figures seem ok so why is everything outrageously slow.....it's like SLOW dial-up. :confused:

441577669.png

Does the upload not drive you crazy....what about sending an email with an attachment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

ive had ntl out 3 times in the last year to try sort my bb out , from crazy high pings to really low uploads , finally i think they cracked it, they replaced the cable running from the roof to the house and since friday *fingers crossed* its been great. apparently the cables can weather and snag. im getting 3.5 mb download and 0.35 uploads

the only way out is to have them cancel your contract, they will ask for a cancellation fee but tell them where to put it, remember the call may be recorded though, and it may take a month or so but its well worth it, been there done that.

444232742.png

this is slow to me at the moment (contention). but never have to wait for a page to open,

Rorser wrote: »
    Does the upload not drive you crazy....what about sending an email with an attachment?
    when i use my sisters modem it has a higher upload capacity, over half meg, so i guess i just have to upgrade my modem, but its not a problem for me in the meantime

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

444308445.png

Happy with that :p

444312479.png

Happy with that, unfortunatly not something that we sell to residential customers :) You'd have to live in the datacenter to get it.

(PS. How speedtest got it to 104.87 mbit/s is odd to me. That box only sits on a 100 meg port)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

444802851.png

:)

444807196.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 aindreas

my connection results =
    1445776046.png

am a bit surprised to see them! I knew things were slowish. need faster! Must ring 'round service providers tomorrow. Had thought about getting a two way sat connection but have read some bad reviews...

aindreas

aindreas.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement