Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed Test Megathread

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

607713183.png

Wow. (As in - I'm on an 8Mb BT connection which at best has been giving 6Mb.)

I'll see what it's like in 20 mins or so.

I knew it was a freak reading...

607727700.png

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

google searh magnet speed test and that will give you more accurate readings. speedtest.net can be inaccurate to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

isp would still show up since he was connceting to his host through a external ip address - didnt realise that digiweb does internet solutions for consumers. Thought they only did it for Businesses?

Chances are it's campus broadband..

2/1 service,I do get the speeds sometimes!
    607997926.png

google searh magnet speed test and that will give you more accurate readings. speedtest.net can be inaccurate to say the least.

Magnetspeedtest.jpg?t=1256985312

Although pings and upload don't look too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Shredd

608152650.png

Standard.

kleefarr wrote: »

Magnetspeedtest.jpg?t=1256985312

Although pings and upload don't look too bad.

Sweet jesus thats some difference to the other test you did - did you run aload of tests or just the one with magnet?

Just did the one test.

Here are three I did just now..

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 2048 kbps (256 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 433 kbps (54.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 772 kbps (96.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 420 kbps (52.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 956 kbps (119.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 433 kbps (54.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

:confused:

TEST LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That's nonsense. The Magnet speedtest is THE SAME as speedtest.net. It's the same people developing it. Stop spreading such nonsense !!

Differences come from, where the servers are placed. And you should always check more than one.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    That's nonsense. The Magnet speedtest is THE SAME as speedtest.net. It's the same people developing it. Stop spreading such nonsense !!

Differences come from, where the servers are placed. And you should always check more than one.

/M

speedtest.net is less accurate due to more flucuation - the proof - i got 8mb persecond with speedtest on a three modem stick! while i was getting 2-3mb constantly on the magnet test - so ligically after doing alot of tests using both i determined that magnet was more accurate. Either way at the end of the day - it matters not too much - the best way is to manually download a file from microsoft.com or apple.com and see what your file download speeds are like. I feel that would give the most accurate readings into your conncetion as well as manually pinging eircom.net from the command prompt in your OS.

• Advertisement

speedtest.net is less accurate due to more flucuation - the proof - i got 8mb persecond with speedtest on a three modem stick! while i was getting 2-3mb constantly on the magnet test - so ligically after doing alot of tests using both i determined that magnet was more accurate. Either way at the end of the day - it matters not too much - the best way is to manually download a file from microsoft.com or apple.com and see what your file download speeds are like. I feel that would give the most accurate readings into your conncetion as well as manually pinging eircom.net from the command prompt in your OS.

First of all, you didn't specify WHICH of the speedtest.net servers you were doing your test against. There's 4 of'em in Ireland, hosted by 4 different Internet Providers.

If you read on the Magnet speedtest page, you see, it's been developed by Ookla. Now check who owns speedtest and pingtest.net and you'll see, that's Ookla, too. Magnet just bought a copy of them, with a design especially for them.

That you get better results to Magnet just means, that your provider has a better connection to Magnet than to the other test-server that you used. It doesn't mean that speedtest.net is inaccurate.

Finally, just because the Magnet page works best for you with the specific internet provider that you are using, that does not apply to everybody.

You can not just go around and state, that speedtest.net doesn't work properly.

Please do a bit of research before making inaccurate statements.

/M

please read my post a bit more. I said that the most accurate way to test your connection is to do manual dowloads and manual ping tests using different sites. That is the most accurate i find - magnet has being more accurate for me with the o2 modem i had and the three modem as well as using a friends 7mb eircom conncetion in comaprison to speedtest (thats my experience - i could be wrong and so could you for that matter) - but still as i said at the end of my last post and this one:

Manual testing is far more reliable than any online speedtests by using command prompt and dowloading files off apple.com or microsoft.com or any other which you want to use.

please read my post a bit more. I said that the most accurate way to test your connection is to do manual dowloads and manual ping tests using different sites. That is the most accurate i find

Correct, but that doesn't change, that you stated:
    speedtest.net can be inaccurate to say the least.

And that's just wrong !!!

You still haven't specified, what server on speedtest.net you were using. In Ireland, there are servers in Cork, Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Sligo. Any of those servers will give you a different result at times, depending on how they are connected to your specific provider. And for anybody on a connection by somebody else, they might get a different experience again.

And just to enlighten you, if you ever tried to download the speedtest.net mini test and check that out, it does nothing else than download a large file and upload a large file for the testing. Those are the files that the speedtest.net servers use.

/M

Airwire 2meg business connection, Co. Roscommon:

Galway:
    609455812.png

Dublin:
    609455269.png

Cork:
    609456525.png

Sligo:
    609457175.png

Limerick:
    609457675.png

Magnet: 18ms ping, 2090 kbps download, 2080 kbps upload.

Which just shows, it's not a difference between Magnet and speedtest.net, but the difference is in where the different speedtest servers are located.

/M

Correct, but that doesn't change, that you stated:

And that's just wrong !!!

You still haven't specified, what server on speedtest.net you were using. In Ireland, there are servers in Cork, Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Sligo. Any of those servers will give you a different result at times, depending on how they are connected to your specific provider. And for anybody on a connection by somebody else, they might get a different experience again.

And just to enlighten you, if you ever tried to download the speedtest.net mini test and check that out, it does nothing else than download a large file and upload a large file for the testing. Those are the files that the speedtest.net servers use.

/M

ive used limerick, galway, dublin and sligo. Speedtest is a decent test but is less accurate over numerous tests in comparison to magnet and even though there is only one magnet server it still gave more accurate results i feel. Either way if the experience is so different between everyone else then how accurate can any of these test be? Anyways we could argue this until the cows come home and head back out - at least we can say one thing. The quality of broadband and its penetration in this country is sadly lacking no matter what way you look at it.

Either way if the experience is so different between everyone else then how accurate can any of these test be?

The tests can not be accurate no matter what, because it's not one company, that owns the networks you travel across. If you want an accurate test, then your own provider would need to provide you with a server, that allows you to test your speed.

That's exactly, why Airwire has one of the speedtest.net servers, so that Airwire customers can get a pretty accurate result.

That's why Magnet has a speedtest server, so that Magnet customer can get a pretty accurate result.

And even then, the result won't be accurate, because if you were downloading while doing the speedtest, it would not be able to account for that.

Speedtest.net (and Magnets version of the speedtest.net server) are a guideline, that gives you an idea, if your connection is way off what it should be. Nothing else.

And you've still not checked the bottom right on the magnet speedtest and then checked on speedtest.net, otherwise you'd realised, it's the same software.

/M

The tests can not be accurate no matter what, because it's not one company, that owns the networks you travel across. If you want an accurate test, then your own provider would need to provide you with a server, that allows you to test your speed.

That's exactly, why Airwire has one of the speedtest.net servers, so that Airwire customers can get a pretty accurate result.

That's why Magnet has a speedtest server, so that Magnet customer can get a pretty accurate result.

And even then, the result won't be accurate, because if you were downloading while doing the speedtest, it would not be able to account for that.

Speedtest.net (and Magnets version of the speedtest.net server) are a guideline, that gives you an idea, if your connection is way off what it should be. Nothing else.

And you've still not checked the bottom right on the magnet speedtest and then checked on speedtest.net, otherwise you'd realised, it's the same software.

/M

i am aware of its guideline properties and indeed i have see the same symbol on both sites - still i am only stating my observations as are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

487772674.png

I got a nice surprise when i saw this. :D

didnt last though :(

611091833.png

John mac wrote: »
    487772674.png

I got a nice surprise when i saw this. :D

didnt last though :(

611091833.png

i like the ping rate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

613546806.png

• Advertisement

613546806.png

Cool - is that cable or DSL?

Mine is using the e180 modem on Three
    613742964.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sparedog1

615717512.png

UPC - Had it installed yesterday. I am a happy camper and glad to be away from Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

619108091.png

Provider: UPC Internet 10mb

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

613546806.png

Holy cow you lucky person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 davehalligan

620182090.png

eircom 1mb connection!! its usually between 700-800kb/s

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

613546806.png

PURE GOLD......love it.

pity no one can get it outside towns :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kickaha

623120076.png

For US server WoW players(server loc)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Esat BT in Carlow

623334905.png

Was meant to be upgraded to 7.6mb down last year but it only went to 5mb, fffuuuuuuu

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement