Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Marlow wrote: »
    Lucky you. You seem to be in a H2UPA cell with a H2UPA device.

/Martin

That was actually slow enough ,heres another one faster than my eircom connection
    386486717.png

EIRCOM ,suppose to be 7MB but registers as 6MB on the router

386491119.png

bit of a pong off the ping ,it's usually faster than this

Pinging www.l.google.com [216.239.59.103] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 216.239.59.103: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=247
    Reply from 216.239.59.103: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=247
    Reply from 216.239.59.103: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=247
    Reply from 216.239.59.103: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=247

Ping statistics for 216.239.59.103:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 60ms, Maximum = 76ms, Average = 65ms

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

311 wrote: »
    That was actually slow enough ,heres another one faster than my eircom connection
    386486717.png

The total for H2UPA is 7.2 mbit down/2 mbit up and that's to be shared with all users within the same cell.

So right now you're kindda monopolizing it.

Wait until more people are around and actively using it and you'd get less. But it's nice enough to see, that they've started deploying it.

Doesn't change the fact, that it isn't a broadband replacement. Especially latency is crummy.

This is 2 meg fixed wireless at home: 386491557.png

Latency can be as far down as 15 ms, usually max at around 60 ms. And i've got internet radio and a few other bits running in the background, which aren't accounted for.

That kindda latency you won't get from mobile internet offerings.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thats a mighty ping alright ,I'm deciding on whether or not to change from eircom at the moment.

UPC/NTL seem to be my best option at the moment ,all the new digital cables have been installed in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Rorser wrote: »
    If your only getting this from BT I really doubt that you'll get the full 7.6 with Eircom.

Was getting the full 7.6 with eircom...which was strange. thats why i upgraded...i assumed that id be up around the 15mb range!

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Hogzy wrote: »
    Was getting the full 7.6 with eircom...which was strange. thats why i upgraded...i assumed that id be up around the 15mb range!

That is pretty odd, although benifits of ADSL2+ do become meaningless if you live a long way from the exchange I dont think that cut off point is anywhere near 7meg. What did BT have to say to explain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

389579726.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭gwenuska

http://www.speedtest.net/result/389602955.png

This link is the result of my broadband speed test. Can anyone translate it for me? My service provider says I have 2mb speed but the result of the test says its 873kbps???????

Not sure what it all means!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You're getting about 0.8mbps from that location and sending 0.106mbps.
    As well as a download speed you should have an upload speed (they're usually around 200 to 500 kbps, the idea being that you can download faster than you can upload so in the real world a website will only will only send you data at a low rate but you can check a broad number of sites at the same time)
    Have you tried different locations at different times of the day? The ping seems a tad high. Think of the ping as the time for an echo to be heard. Speeds will suffer at peak times. The 2mb you have is a theoretical maximum, that said a consistent 800kbps would be considered low.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

South Bray Eircom 3MB, but line restricted to 2MB as 3 was unstable :mad:

390035348.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

391445790.png

Stupid PCs won't go faster than 100Mb!
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

392024073.png

Dead pleased with my current ISP. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I am Paying for 10MB DOwnload, and 1 Mb upload, i have logs from last weeks, these results are good ! compared to the < !Mb service I usually get

UPC around Dublin 1 - Parnell Dorset street is terrible

393685076.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

UPC Installed a week ago :-) Delighted

393717639.png

49581566ck2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Durklas

http://www.speedtest.net/result/394312398.png <--- 1mb/200kb
    NTL 20mb/1.5mb ... f*** sake
    Dublin 22
    plz dont go with NTL , its cheap ISP , and u wont get anythink 'good' for cheap..

Few hours later ..
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/394357065.png <--- 1.2mb/200kb

And ALL this VERY 'GOOD' ISP costs me 70euros including digital TV !

Great isnt it ?

Durklas wrote: »
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/394312398.png <--- 1mb/200kb
    NTL 20mb/1.5mb ... f*** sake
    Dublin 22
    plz dont go with NTL , its cheap ISP , and u wont get anythink 'good' for cheap..

Few hours later ..
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/394357065.png <--- 1.2mb/200kb

And ALL this VERY 'GOOD' ISP costs me 70euros including digital TV !

Great isnt it ?

What the hell?? What excuse are they giving? Contention? Distance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

According to speedtest.net I've got a 50MBit line on ntl :rolleyes:
    394766001.png

Magnet is more reliable and the ping i get is usually around 6 or 7. this one is tenmagnetpingls8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    According to speedtest.net I've got a 50MBit line on ntl :rolleyes:
    394766001.png

Magnet is more reliable and the ping i get is usually around 6 or 7. this one is tenmagnetpingls8.jpg

Speedtest.net also build that speedtest for Magnet. It's the same thing. Why you get 50 mbit to the Dublin server is a bit of a mystery. The higher ping times are down to peering. UPC has peering with Magnet, I'm not sure how well they are connected to the hosting center, that the Dublin server is hosted in (traceroute to "westnet.ie" and you'll know).

If you do the speedtest on the Galway server, it goes through Smart's UPC peering to reach ourselfes on a direct line we have from Smart.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Durklas

Rorser wrote: »
    What the hell?? What excuse are they giving? Contention? Distance?

ALL they (NTL) say is : 'plz turn off ur modem and wait for 3mins , then turn on the modem and the 'problem' should be solved ... ' and u can go with them forever , atm im ****ed cant do anythink about it, so what i will do is - wont pay any bills , bey bey NTL!

Marlow wrote: »
    If you do the speedtest on the Galway server, it goes through Smart's UPC peering to reach ourselfes on a direct line we have from Smart.

/Martin
    cheers ,i've been using speedtest but don't really know much about it.

Limerick stays at about 60mbit and then drops to this.
    394880998.png

Galway is consistant at this speed

394882747.png

the line is fairly clean apart from some lags every couple of hours ,maybe have to wait a few seconds for a page. had some router problems(wifi) that had my speed at less than 10mbit ,everything seems to be ok now.

Durklas wrote: »
    ALL they (NTL) say is : 'plz turn off ur modem and wait for 3mins , then turn on the modem and the 'problem' should be solved ... ' and u can go with them forever , atm im ****ed cant do anythink about it, so what i will do is - wont pay any bills , bey bey NTL!

Where are you living? Im sure there are probably numerous competitors (including my own....Magnet) only too happy to supply you with a faster service.

• Advertisement

There are traditionally 4 main elements (there are others I just cant think of them) which affect the speed of a users broadband on a DSL line.

1. The equiptment at the exchange (Magnet and Smart use ADSL2+ making the top speed 24Mbs)
    2. The distance from the exchange.
    3. The line quality (broken lines can damage the quality and lines made of an alloy or poor quality copper can affect speed)
    4. And finally the number of other customers sharing the line, also known as contention. (Magnet and Smart can offer the service on an uncontended or 1:1 basis, this means there is no slowdown at peak times)

In short it was probably me who told you Magnet could offer you the service at a much faster speed than Eircom are offering. Whoever is telling you that you can only get a max speed of 7Mb on any given line just doesnt know their copper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Hookey

395075233.png

Not bad. On Fibre To Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭octsol

396485638.png

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭octsol

This is what we have to put up with

396485638.png

DownstreamUpstreamMax Allowed Speed (kbps)2048256SN Margin (dB)25.5020.00Line Attenuation (dB)5.505.00

Anyone know if you can determine whether my local exchange is running ADSL, ADSL2 etc

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Limerick stays at about 60mbit and then drops to this.
    394880998.png

Galway is consistant at this speed

394882747.png

only fair to post that these results are completely wrong. as mentioned in another thread ,it's a reading of local network rather than the broadband bandwith.
    sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Colcum

Terrible stuff...

Provider:
    Eircom 3MB ADSL

397497961.png

Ping google.com, average = 428s
    C:\>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

location galway upc :eek:

399619014.png

octsol wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can determine whether my local exchange is running ADSL, ADSL2 etc

Unless you're on a business package with Eircom you are on standard ADSL (G.DMT 992.1). Those results are pretty bad alright, but according to the line stats you must be pretty much sitting on the exchange!

But at least Abbeydorney is ADSL enabled, my parents on the Finuge exchange will never see it. ;)

400088446.png
    Just upgraded to 3mb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

400204148.png
    3mb in limerick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement