Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Friday 19/06/09 c5w1

Deadlift

75% 167.5 x 5
    80% 180 x 5
    85% 190 x 7

Good mornings:
    100kg
    x8
    x8
    x8
    x8

Standing ab pd's:
    stack +15kg
    x9
    x6
    x4
    x4

Russian twists:
    2 x 6kg DB's
    x14
    x12
    x12
    x10

Monday 22/06/09 c5w1

Military Press:

75% 67.5 x 5
    80% 72.5 x 5
    85% 77.5 x 6

DB Rows:
    30kg (I think)
    Right and left:
    x25
    x18
    x13

Seated DB power cleans:
    12.5kg DB's
    x12
    x10
    x7
    x6
    x5

Jesus that was tough. The 5 day is a bitch after a few waves. It's really just about trying to get the reps and any hope of PR's etc might happen on the 3 or the 1 day.

Gonna start doing a bit of conditioning work. Wanna shed some of the fat I put on over the last year and see if I can keep getting stronger. This is basically gonna be running up and down the papal cross hill twice a week. Gonna head up tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    Gonna start doing a bit of conditioning work. Wanna shed some of the fat I put on over the last year and see if I can keep getting stronger. This is basically gonna be running up and down the papal cross hill twice a week. Gonna head up tonight.

funny-pictures-copy-cats-in-beds.jpg

That's you on the right!

I just can't handle you getting below 100kg and me bursting another pair of shorts.

I was gonna text ya, how'd the exam go?

If you need to let off steam you're welcome to come hill running and I don't mind if you point an laugh.

Yes Hanley, that's right I asked you to meet me in the phoenix park. Ya see, cardio leads to gayness.

Just found a vid of those creepers I was doing for a while, think they're gonna make a comeback this week too.

• Advertisement

I just can't handle you getting below 100kg and me bursting another pair of shorts.

I was gonna text ya, how'd the exam go?

If you need to let off steam you're welcome to come hill running and I don't mind if you point an laugh.

Yes Hanley, that's right I asked you to meet me in the phoenix park. Ya see, cardio leads to gayness.

Hahahahaha love it.

The exam went well today actually. Pretty surprised but happy at the same time!! Nothing at all like the sample papers but that sorta played into my hands cos I didnt really look at the sample papers!!

MIGHT consider the run... I'mma try do some work for tomorrow between now and then, but at this stage I'm relatively happy that I'll be as prepared as possible!

What time ya going at??

EDIT: It feels ghey going for another run when I haven't lifted anything heavy in 10 days!!

I'll be there at 7 and yes that is pretty gay.

Everything within me is screaming "Noooooo don't do it, you're already tired, you went 6+ hours without eating this morning, don't be so silly" but the thought of collapsing in the sun afterwards is look like it's gonna win.

See ya there at 7!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Hanley wrote: »
    Everything within me is screaming "Noooooo don't do it, you're already tired, you went 6+ hours without eating this morning, don't be so silly" but the thought of collapsing in the sun afterwards is look like it's gonna win.

See ya there at 7!

dear god!!

spam.jpg

spam.jpg
    spam.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You will eventualy concede that i'm right!!:P

• Advertisement

Tuesday 23/06/09

Hill sprints x 25 with too much rest.

Attempt at Fran with Burpees and Air Squats. Pulled out with the 9's left due to pukey-time.

Wednesday 24/06/09 C5W2

Squat:

80% 152.5 x 3
    85% 162.5 x 3
    90% 170 x 6 PR

Barbell Hypers:
    30kg
    x11
    x8
    x7
    x6
    x5

Hanging Leg Raise:
    x5
    x4
    x3
    x3

Shovel Deadlifts:
    20kg plate
    2 sets of 5 per side.

Can't believe I set a PR after Tuesday, I was stiff as a board and just wanted to get the 3 reps on the last set but I somehow managed 6.

Thursday 25/06/09

Hill sprints:
    2 sets of 15. No rest, sprint up, walk down repeat.

This was brutal but fantastic. No stiffness the next day. Think it was the Crossfit stuff that generated the lactic acid on Tuesday.

Saturday 27/06/09 C5W2

Bench:

80% 107.5 x 3
    85% 115 x 3
    90% 122.5 x 4

Rolling DB Tri Ext's:
    10kg DB's
    x25
    x12
    x7
    x5
    x5

Chins:
    x8
    x5
    x4
    x3
    x3

Face Pulls:
    82.5kg
    x17
    x11
    x10
    x9
    x8

DB Hammer Curls:
    20kg DB's
    x10
    x7
    x5
    x4

Bench just wasn't there Saturday. Ho-hum. Not really bothered.

Went and got smashed at a stag over the weekend then and skipped my usual Monday session due to the shakes. Gonna do the stations of the cross tonight then deadlift tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

nice sqwattin - nothing beats an unexpected pr

Tue 30/06/09

Hill sprints:

set of 20

10 mins rest

set of 16

Wednesday 01/07/09 C5W2

Deadlift:

80% 180 x 3
    85% 190 x 3
    90% 202.5 x 6 PR

Good mornings:
    100kg
    x10
    x10
    x10

Ab Pulldowns:
    stack +15kg
    x8
    x6
    x5
    x5

Gotta be happy with that deadlift.

Thursday 02/07/09

Hill Sprints:

25 sprints

10 mins rest

20 sprints

Friday 03/07/09 C5W2

Military Press:

80% 72.5 x 3
    85% 77.5 x 3
    90% 80 x 5

Kroc Rows:
    35kg

L: x23, x15, x10
    R: x23, x15, x10

Seated DB Power Cleans:
    12.5kg
    x14
    x10
    x7
    x5

Wonder how far away from the 100kg press I am.

Monday 06/07/09 C5W3

Squat:

75% 142.5 x 5
    85% 162.5 x 3
    95% 180 x 4 PR

Squat Creepers:
    72.5kg

Did all 10 sets in full.

Sweet night. Squat PR and my first time finishing the creepers. Happily packed up my stuff and left after that!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Friday 03/07/09 C5W2

Military Press:

80% 72.5 x 3
    85% 77.5 x 3
    90% 80 x 5

Wonder how far away from the 100kg press I am.

According to Jim Wendlers formula you are 6.68kg away for 100kg

-> reps x weight x 0.0333 = 1 RM
    -> 80 x5 x 0.0333 = 93.32

Just showing off my shiney new 5/3/1 knowledge :pac:

Cycle 5 week 2? I didn't realise you had been at this for so long. When did you start? March?

edit - just checked back - seems like Jan. Good work.

Military Press:

80% 72.5 x 3
    85% 77.5 x 3
    90% 80 x 5

:mad:Grrrrr

Hate You!!

Are these seated ya??

BossArky wrote: »
    According to Jim Wendlers formula you are 6.68kg away for 100kg

-> reps x weight x 0.0333 = 1 RM
    -> 80 x5 x 0.0333 = 93.32

Just showing off my shiney new 5/3/1 knowledge :pac:

Cycle 5 week 2? I didn't realise you had been at this for so long. When did you start? March?

Cool! That's not bad!

I'm doing this since January. There was a break in there for injury and two competitions.
    :mad:Grrrrr

Hate You!!

Are these seated ya??

No standing. Strict presses though no push pressing.

• Advertisement

No standing. Strict presses though no push pressing.

What do you think you'd throw up seated?

What do you think you'd throw up seated?

No idea.

Would it generally be more or less?

No idea.

Would it generally be more or less?

More imo, well it is for me.... there's less stabalisation needed so i'd assume it's easier, altho you're probably isolating your shoulders more sitting.... i might go for a wander around the net and find out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I knew I had questions for you earlier...

What increases have you been making each cycle on upper and lower body? 2.5kg and 5kg?

Are you rounding up/down to the nearest 5kg, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

More imo, well it is for me.... there's less stabalisation needed so i'd assume it's easier, altho you're probably isolating your shoulders more sitting.... i might go for a wander around the net and find out

I find seated slightly harder but then my backs messed up so that gets in the way....

Sick pr's Kev, nice work. Have you had to reset your maxes yet? Btw do you use wrist wraps on the military press, curious.

I find seated slightly harder but then my backs messed up so that gets in the way....

Y a that was what i was saying, i think seated is more shoulder isolation

I knew I had questions for you earlier...

What increases have you been making each cycle on upper and lower body? 2.5kg and 5kg?

Are you rounding up/down to the nearest 5kg, yeah?

I add 2.5 to upper and 5 to lower on my max for each new cycle. I generally round down unless it's really close to the next 2.5kg. Does your gym have 1.25kg plates?

Sick pr's Kev, nice work. Have you had to reset your maxes yet? Btw do you use wrist wraps on the military press, curious.

Cheers Brian. Nope haven't had to reset anything yet and yep I use wrist wraps on the military press. Just to keep everything tight.

Hanley wrote: »
    Stations off the Cross with Kevpants and Wifepants:
    30 up and downs

Evil Papal Fran:
    21 burpees, 2 hill sprints
    21 squats, 2 hill sprints
    15 burpees, 2 hill sprints
    15 squats, 2 hill springs
    9 burpees, 2 hill sprints
    9 squats, 2 hill sprints

Time Taken: 11mins 16 seconds

Real lung buster today. Cardio's improving tho.

What he said but my time was 12mins 41secs. Man that was some serious going but I'm stoked I finished it.

Proud of wifepants too, she came up and rocked up and down for 2 sets of 10 hill sprints and I know she left loads in the tank, she didn't fall down at the end, then she went for a 30 min walk followed by lunges and planks. We're turning into one of those annoying fit couples.

I add 2.5 to upper and 5 to lower on my max for each new cycle. I generally round down unless it's really close to the next 2.5kg. Does your gym have 1.25kg plates?

My gym doesn't have 1.25kg plates but I'm awaiting the arrival of my own mini plates which I ordered yesterday.
    haven't had to reset anything yet

What are you finding to be the hardest weeks on 5/3/1? First week of each cycle on 5 reps? I'm just on my first week and think that weeks 2 and 3 with less reps and only slightly more weight must be easier even in later cycles. Is that correct?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

What are you finding to be the hardest weeks on 5/3/1? First week of each cycle on 5 reps? I'm just on my first week and think that weeks 2 and 3 with less reps and only slightly more weight must be easier even in later cycles. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Yeah the 5 is a bitch. I dunno sometimes you see the same weight appearing at different times in different cycles and depending on the context it can be easy or hard. Like sometimes you get to it on your final set and you're already fatigued and it's a challenge, other times it's your 2nd work-set and it's a breeze.

Some cycles you just won't be able to PR and other times you'll fly through it. It's pretty all over the place but the curve is generally up.

Advertisement