Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Yeah I'll be up there this eve.

I've been going on on odd days at odd times myself. Seems to be coming together alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I'm definitely not going to see you before the competition so I better say best of luck now. :) I'm dying to hear how you get on and I've no doubt that all your hard work over the past while is going to pay off.

I'm sure you've seen how many lifters there's gonna be on Saturday at this stage - it looks like it's gonna be another long day so there's every chance that myself and Ham could get there in time to see you deadlift. If I don't see ya Saturday, I'll deffo see you Sunday!!

Good Luck again!!! :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Good luck on saturday Kev!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

howd did the comp go?

howd did the comp go?

Went great. Will start a thread later this evening once work over. Too busy and too sore to concentrate on it today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ladowack

well done on the comp Kev, seen your vids on youtube a real grindfest, didn't think you'd get 215 after the 205 squat, well done.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

theres a quality picture of you posted here

http://www.nipowerlifting.co.uk/gallery2/gallery2.html

ladowack wrote: »
    well done on the comp Kev, seen your vids on youtube a real grindfest, didn't think you'd get 215 after the 205 squat, well done.:)

I didn't think I'd get it either!
    podge57 wrote: »
    theres a quality picture of you posted here

http://www.nipowerlifting.co.uk/gallery2/gallery2.html

I think their site is down at the mo but this one is on the IDFPA site!

DSC_0096_3273_edited-1.jpg

Form an orderly queue ladies!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

kevpants wrote: »

do they let you take a dump on the platform. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA best photo ever!

• Advertisement

bigstar wrote: »
    do they let you take a dump on the platform. :D

They had no choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »

Note the Rippetoe grip. Ghey.

I can think of a lady at the comp who'd want a bit of that.... and it wasn't wifepants.

P.S It's a popular shot for some strange reason

20080726_2311.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

And Kev your bum doesn't look so big in a squat rack anymore, but your head is massive:pac::D:D

Just kiddin................. Great job to all on all lifts. Hanley my heart breaks for u man.

Hanley wrote: »
    Note the Rippetoe grip. Ghey.

You're just jealous cos my bar is clearly bending more than yours.

I can think of a lady at the comp who'd want a bit of that.... and it wasn't wifepants.

Oooooh. One day I'll give you a lift off the bench and you'll look up when you want to re-rack and it won't be me. It'll be wifepants....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

yea...kevpants best make sure the bar doesn't get photoshopped out of that photo....:D

Wed 09/04/09 Cycle 3 Wave 2

Military press:

80% 67.5kg x 3
    85% 72.5 x 3
    90% 77.5 x 5

Jm Press:
    45kg
    x12
    x10
    x8

TF Machine Curls:
    40kg
    x17
    x11
    x9

Reverse TF Machine Curls:
    25kg
    x15
    x15
    x13

This was my last sesh prior to the comp. Took it easy. Happy with how my shoulder strength is coming on though. I'd love a bodyweight military press. 105 (ish)kgs??? Some way off yet.

Wed 22/04/09 Upper body assistance experimenting day

Floor press 80kg (using squat rack)
    x10
    x10

Lucy's presses (lockouts of steps)
    90kg
    x12
    x11
    x10

Scap Pulldowns (on lat pulldown machine)
    60kg x 20
    67.5 x 20
    75 x 20

Face Pulls:
    45kg x 20
    52.5 x 20
    60 x 16

TF Machine Curl
    45kg
    x14
    x7
    x5

Rev TF Machine Curl
    30kg
    x10
    x5
    x7 (after longer rest)

This was worthwhile. Loved the steps setup for the bench assistance, should really hit my weakpoint. Scap retraction work was really tough and left my back feeling strangely taxed afterwards which is great, another weakpoint exposed that I can work on.

Fri 24/04/09 Lower body assistance experiment day

Barbel lunges:
    52.5kg
    x20 (10 per leg)
    x26
    x26

GHR's (Grandad hamstring raises)

Set up with Smith machine and a flat bench. Couldn't do 1!!! Had to recruit a seat to lower down onto and then kinda do a pushup back up while also pulling with my hamstrings, hence the Grandad replacing Glute in GHR's!

Did 2 sets of 10 with the seat helping.

Rev Hypers +10kg
    x15
    x10
    x10
    x10

Hanging leg raises.
    15 mins of faffing about learning to do them. My goal is to be able to not only do them but to be able to do this:

If I can do them at 100kg+ bodyweight I figure that alone will add 15 - 20 kg to my squat.

Ab Pulldowns:
    stack x20
    x11

Side Bends:
    37.5kg dumbell
    x 20 Left and right
    x15 left and right

Writing this 2 days after this workout I have to say I seme to have unearthed a few gems here. The side bends have my obliques in bits and I've ab DOMS from the leg raises. The lunges have my glutes in bits and my hammies are at me too!

At least I've a few new staple assistance moves but I'm so sore I might have to out off my squatting until Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Skull

Kev,

Just had a quick look through your log, whats the most you have squatted in the gym?

Skull wrote: »
    Kev,

Just had a quick look through your log, whats the most you have squatted in the gym?

Ehhm. Well the heaviest single I've done is 190kg for 1. Did 170 for 5 last night....log update below. The program I'm following doesn't call for anything above about 80% of your true 1RM. Weird that it works but hey, it seems to!

• Advertisement

Tue 29/04/09 Cycle 3 Wave 3

Squat:

75% 135 x 5
    85% 152.5 x 3
    95% 170 x 5 ugly-ass reps

Squat Creepers:

Completed the 9th set.

Hanging leg raises:
    x5
    x5
    x3
    x4

Side Bends:
    40kg dumbell
    L x 18
    R x 18
    L x 14
    R x 14

This nearly killed me. Give me a competition any day, this multiple reps business is over-rated. Happy with the 170 x 5 considering they were my usual horrible executed reps after I take time off from training.

I can do hanging leg raises! They felt a lot easier, windscreen wipers here I come.

That's some good squatting!!!

I played about with windshield wipers on the ab chair thingy beside the squat rack and it worked quite well. Obviously easier than the real thing but still KILLS.

I'll show ya what I mean if you're around later?

Yeah I'm going up later. Never thought of the roman chair for them. Squats went well given that I lost them all forward and on the 4th rep at 170 I dropped from standing to ATG in about 0.00001 seconds!

Face Pulls done in the gym that invented them - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XjAgPZcrpQ&feature=related

Thursday 30/04/09 Cycle 3 Wave 3

Bench: (Wider grip, middle finger on rings)

75% 97.5kg x 5
    85% 110 x 3
    95% 122.5 x 5 Massive PR. Spotter swore he didn't touch the bar. Grip change??

DB Press:
    37.5kg
    x13
    x8
    x6

Lucy Press:
    90kg
    x10
    x5
    x8 (took a longer break, advisable on this lift from now on)

Face Pulls:
    60kg
    x25
    x17
    x16
    x14

I've no idea if it's the new grip but I hammered that bench in this session. 122.5 felt really light. I double checked I actually had the right weight on it afterwards about 4 times. The wide grip is shortening the ROM and bringing my chest (stronpoint) into the equation more. It also seems to be a lot easier on my elbows.

Saturday 02/05/09

Deadlift:

75% 160 x 5
    85% 182.5 x 3
    95% 205 x 3

Good Mornings:
    80kg
    x15
    x10
    x8

Barbell Lunges:
    50kg
    x24 (12 per leg)
    x20

That right hand side of my lower back was playing up again so the deadlifts felt heavy and reeeeaaally slow. It's not injured as such but it just seems to get strained really easily. The thing is this was done on a Saturday morning, I don't think my back is supple enough to Deadlift shortly after getting out of bed. The time I badly hurt my back in Feb was a Saturday morning too. I reckon it's evenings only for pulling from here on in.

A few vids of the heaviest set of deadlifts, you can see how slow they are and how awkward I look with the lower back twinged. Good mornings and lunges as well to see the form. Happy with the good mornings, I've never seen myself doing them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

nice bench pr

although your deadlift excuse makes you sound like an old man :pac:

Yowza!! That's some really good benching!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

benchin 122.5 x 5.... very nice, could be the floor presses working their magic?

I saw you up there Saturday, all I can say is seriously impressive deadlifting. I looked at he start of your log and you've made big big gains. That goal of squatting 200 must seem like a long time ago :D

• Advertisement

podge57 wrote: »
    nice bench pr

although your deadlift excuse makes you sound like an old man :pac:

Sounds like? Clearly I already am. It's such a pain in the ar5e trying to mind it. I might take another trip to Sportsmed after next payday to see what they reckon.
    Yowza!! That's some really good benching!!!

I know. WTF???
    Kev M wrote: »
    benchin 122.5 x 5.... very nice, could be the floor presses working their magic?

I saw you up there Saturday, all I can say is seriously impressive deadlifting. I looked at he start of your log and you've made big big gains. That goal of squatting 200 must seem like a long time ago :D

Didn't see ya! I'm so crap with names/faces!

I've only floor pressed twice! It could be having a bit of an effect though. I think the grip felt much stronger and my elbows were healthy. The elbow factor is huge.

Advertisement