Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

• 17-09-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Right, the title.

Well I wanted something different and one of the biggest issues to do with this routine I'm going to start logging is the ever increasing size of my moneymaker. And the subsequent arguments with Mrs Pants about why I have to replace my entire lower body wardrobe.

I've been doing Westside since the start of May as much as I could in Crunch Westmanstown with limited facilities and spotters etc. After joining Total fitness in Castleknock in mid July I've been able to really get down to it.

I've been keeping a log since the start however I have been so happy with things the last few weeks I've decided to share. No one I show my logbook to is very interested, they're more concerned with the smell of sweat eminating from the pages.

There's a whole back catalog but here are my stats (1 rep maxes) as of 16/09/08 where I'll start the log.

Height: 5' 11''
    Weight: 100kg
    Bench: 132.5kg
    Squat: 160kg
    Deadlift: 190kg
    Turn ons: Long walks on the beach, open log fires....:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Good numbers kev, you didn't include your weight though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Westside Max Effort Upper 16/09/08

Close Grip Bench
    70kg x 5 x 1 (reps x sets)
    80kg x 4 x 1
    90kg x 3 x 1
    100kg x 2 x 1
    110kg x 1 x 1
    125kg x 1 x 1 (easy)
    126.25 x 1 x1 PR
    120 x 1 x 3

Assistance work:

Weighted Dips:
    25kg on dip belt
    x8
    x6
    x5
    x5
    x5

Chins:
    Palms towards, medium grip.
    x7
    x5
    x3.5
    x2.5
    x2.5

Incline bench Dumbell Rows (theres probably a better name for these!)
    15kg
    x20
    x13
    x9
    x8
    x9

My close grip is both hands in the smooth of the bar but close to the edge. Some may not say this is close enough so subtract from the numbers as you wish. Unfortunately an old wrist injury prevents me from going narrower.

As you can see I SUCK at chins. I can row and pull fairly big but I am so poor at chins, all grips. I refuse to give up though so lets see how it goes.

Weighted dips are one of my faves. I have one of these

Spud-Dip-Belt.jpg

I get some looks when I break that bad boy out!

Max Effort Lower 17/09/08

Squat:
    80kg x 5 x 1 (reps x sets)
    90kg x 4 x 1
    100kg x 3 x 1
    120kg x 2 x 1
    140kg x 1 x 1
    150kg x 1 x 1 (flew up)
    165kg x 1 x 1 PR
    155kg x 1 x 3

Assistance Work:

Good mornings:
    80kg
    x10
    x8
    x8
    x8

Hammer Strength Leg Press
    170kg
    x10
    x8
    x8
    x7
    x7

Standing abs pulldowns (once again, not the right name!)
    87.5kg
    x18
    x12
    x8
    x6
    x6

Tonight absolutely ruled. I was buzzing after my 5kg PR on the squat. Hanley and Malteaser had a look at my squat up there and gave me some good advice. I've narrowed my stance and am managing to get the bar lower down my back and locked in tight. The best lift was that 150kg, it was as close to perfect as I've ever done. No sticking, just constant power through the lift. If I can make it a habit I'll be happy and on my way towards 200kg, thats the goal.

Question on the good mornings, what bar position do you guys usually adopt? I've tried low and high bar and can't figure out which will be better, the bar is a bit unsteady on both.

Tonight was my first time using the Hammerstrength equipment up there. Hanley is an advocate so I said I'd try it and I have to say the leg press doesn't feel like a reguler one. Each leg works independently on a different pad with its own weight. I did not know this, it made the first rep...interesting. I nearly shat.

Standing abs are just one of my faves for really destroying my core. I increased my ROM tonight on them by making sure I stood up dead straight at the top of the rep. I had been finishing up with a slight lean forward in my stance. It made a real difference. I bent over to write down my reps after the first set and cramped so hard I could barely straighten out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I like low bar for good mornings... Not mega low, but not on my neck either.

I was the exact same with the HS leg press. It's such an unsual sensation. I stuck to just doing one leg at a time and it worked well.

I woulda said hands on the smooth part of the bar for CG benches was WAY too close. I'm half to a thumbs length from the smooth (probably 2 or 3 finger width's in from the rings like).

How are ya getting 126.25 on the bar? Just loading a 1.25 on one side??

Glad to see ya keeping a log btw!

Hanley wrote: »

How are ya getting 126.25 on the bar? Just loading a 1.25 on one side??

I accidentally loaded the bar up with only one. I was going for 127.5kg and it was only when I was unloading I realised. Now 127.5kg proabbly would have gone but I didn't lift it so it don't go in the log.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Heya Kev! Delighted you dedcided to start keeping a log!!

Will be watching this one with interest!!!

Repetetive Effort Upper 18/09/08

Flat Bench:
    80kg x 10 x 3 (Reps x sets)

Assistance work:

Bent-over Rows:
    70kg
    x12
    x8
    x8
    x7
    x7

Tate Presses:
    10kg DB's
    x20
    x15
    x12
    x10
    x8

Hammer Strength Lo-Rows:
    40kg
    x20
    x18
    x15
    x15
    x15

Delighted to get the full 10 reps on all 3 sets. Can proabably add 2.5kg to this.

Had to rescue some dude on the bench next to me. Guy loaded up 80kg and started to do some erratic partial reps (sometimes only one arm went down, sometimes his legs were sticking up in the air during the rep). Fair play to him he looked like failing so many times before finally it got stuck across his chest, he was trying to wriggle out from under it when I ran over and pulled it off what was at this stage his hips. On the next set I asked if he wanted a spot his response was "No, do you?". :confused:

Kept the reps high for the assistance work just to give my muscles a shock.

Hammer Strength row machine is different. Hits a very precise area in your back for which there is no name.

Lol I always come out with my rear delts on fire after that machine. I gave it a month or two to see what I thought of it, but I decided I didn't like it. I don't really like the HS pulldown either. I much prefer cables, barbells and dumbbells for my back!

Lol I always come out with my rear delts on fire after that machine. I gave it a month or two to see what I thought of it, but I decided I didn't like it. I don't really like the HS pulldown either. I much prefer cables, barbells and dumbbells for my back!

Yeah I think I'll save it for doing high rep stuff. Da Pump and whatnot. If I was going heavy I'd opt for a barbell or dumbell row. I think I prefer it to the seated cable row though.

RE Lower Monday 22/09/08

Squat:
    110kg x 10 x 3 (reps x sets)

Hypers:
    15kg plate
    x 11 (crushed nuts :o)

Straight leg holds in Roman Chair:
    x 32 secs
    x 23 secs
    x 14 secs
    x 10 secs
    x 10 secs

This workout was supposed to take place on the previous Friday but was pushed back to Saturday, then Sunday, then Monday and was followed by a five a side game. Not good. I was braying like an ass by the time the soccer was finished.

• Advertisement

ME Upper Tue 23/09/08

Incline Bench:
    60kg x 5 x 1 (reps x sets)
    70kg x 4 x 1
    80kg x 3 x 1
    90kg x 2 x 1
    100kg x 1 x 1
    110kg x 1 x 1
    122.5kg x 1 x 1 PR eeeeeasy
    117.5kg x 1 x 3

Chins (palms away med grip):

Seated Cable Rows:
    75kg

Hammer Strength Pull Downs:
    60kg

PR on the incline felt strong. My incline technique is shocking, the bar moves all over the place and consequently travels about 3 inches more than it needs to. It seems to really help with my flat bench so what harm.

I have to say I liked the Hammer Strength Pull downs as well as the Lo Rows from last week. The gunzzz definitely approved too.

ME Lower Wednesday 24/09/08

Deadlift
    100kg x 5 x 1 (reps x sets)
    110kg x 4 x 1
    130kg x 3 x 1
    150kg x 2 x 1
    165kg x 1 x 1
    185kg x 1 x 1
    195kg x 1 x 1 PR
    200kg x 1 x 1 PRRRRRR
    190kg x 1 x 3

Hypers (legs diagonal to floor):
    15kg plate
    x12
    x9
    x8
    x8
    x8

Hammer Strength Leg Press:
    60kg per leg alternating
    x20 (so that's 10 per leg)
    x16
    x12
    x14?
    x12

Knee raises (swinging left & right):
    x28
    x18
    x16
    x14
    x12

Jurassic Park! 200kg pull! I am still smiling after this one. I was only going to go for 195 as an attempt but it went up so quick I said I'd go for 200 and it went no prob! I had a 200kg Deadlift as my "end of the year" goal when I started this in May with a 150kg PR so I am so stoked.

Westside is fooking unreal. As I am generally spending 3 weeks squatting as my ME exercise then 3 weeks deadlifting. Every time I finish a cycle on one I start the next 3 weeks on the other exercise so much stronger than I was.

A quick question on Hypers. Would you see them as a hamstring or lower back exercise? Depending on how I set up (lower or higher against the rest) I can hit my back (higher set up) or my hams (lower). Is one of them wrong? I notice with the lower set up the pads are across my middle thigh and it seems to put some pressure on behind my knee. The pads across my hips relives this but my hamstrings aren't worked as hard and I consequently feel it more in my lower back. Buh??

Edit: Oh and special thnaks goes to Bury Me In Smoke by Down. Without which that Deadlift would not have been possible.

Lolz excellent choice of music and fantastic deads man.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

kevpants wrote: »
    A quick question on Hypers. Would you see them as a hamstring or lower back exercise?

Primarily lower back, hammies are a synergist. If wanting to hit the hamstrings in particular go for GHR (if you have a glute ham raise) or RDLs.

Nice deadlifting.

Savage deadlifting man. Well done!!

I tend to treat the hypers as a lower back exercise. I like to go down as low as possible, and sometimes even round out at the bottom. The harder I try to keep my arch, the more I feel it in my hamstrings.

Thursday 25/09/08 RE Upper

Close Grip Bench:
    75kg (going for 3 sets of 10)
    x 6!!! (grrrrr)

Weighted Dips:
    25kg

Hammer Strength Bench
    80kg

Preacher Curls
    25kg (30 secs rest between sets)

Terrible nights work. My triceps gave up on the third close grip set and I wasn't right after that. Probably not a good idea to do weighted dips straight after close grip benching either.

The Hammerstrength bench got hard very quickly. Dunno if I'm a fan, maybe just letting the bad night affect my judgement of it. Preacher curls, I do not like. I haven't directly worked my biceps in about 4 months so I said I'd have a go.

Friday 26/09/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    110kg

Lunges:
    60kg Oly Bar
    x 14 (7 per leg)

Hypers:
    15kg plate
    x 16 (on a crap hyper rest, felt it in hams again so moved upstairs to a different rest)
    x 9 (more like it)

Standing ab pulldowns:
    87.5kg
    x CRRRRAAAMMP!!

I bent down to write the 12 in my notebook and just doubled over with cramp across my abs. I couldnt straighten myself out. I had to hang from the chinning bar for 10 mins to try and stop the cramp.

This brought to a close my unintentional 5 straight days of training. Never again.

Lol... ab cramps suck a massive amount alright!! Which tower were you doing them on? The one facing the crossover with the wooden beam?? I've found that one to be the best anyway....

Were the HS benches with 80kg of weights, or was it like a 20 and a 5 plus the 20kg you'd add if you had a bar?? Strong going regardless!

Lol... ab cramps suck a massive amount alright!! Which tower were you doing them on? The one facing the crossover with the wooden beam?? I've found that one to be the best anyway....

Were the HS benches with 80kg of weights, or was it like a 20 and a 5 plus the 20kg you'd add if you had a bar?? Strong going regardless!

It was 80kg of weights....why is there a built in weight resistance? I never checked!

I was actually doing them in using one side of the cable crossover posing machine. They have metal bars where the wooden bar is on the other one. It's actually really comfortable for them too but 87.5kg is the top weight so it'b too light for yourself!

kevpants wrote: »
    It was 80kg of weights....why is there a built in weight resistance? I never checked!

I was actually doing them in using one side of the cable crossover posing machine. They have metal bars where the wooden bar is on the other one. It's actually really comfortable for them too but 87.5kg is the top weight so it'b too light for yourself!

Wow.... that's strong going so. I really love that machine. The HS bench can be a pain to get set up on properly tho.

I'm probably gonna be traning in TF on Thursday evenings from next week on doing a speed bench and assistance day if you're around btw. Probably squat and deadlift assitance work on Wednesdays too.

As for the pulldown abs.... looks like the cable crossover's too light for you too!! Get onto the other tower and start working your way towards the stack!! I tried using the other sides of it cos I maxed out the stack, but they're useless for it. I think I'm just gonna steal a pin and use it to stick some added weight onto the stack I normally use instead!

• Advertisement

Cool. I'm there every Wednesday and Thursday evening regardless.

Wednesday 01/10/08 ME Upper

Incline Bench:

65kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    75kg x 1 x 4
    85kg x 1 x 3
    95kg x 1 x 2
    110kg x 1 x 1
    117.5kg x 1 x 1
    125kg x miss :(
    125kg x miss :mad:
    120kg x 2 x 1

Hammerstrength Row:
    60kg

Hammerstrength Standing Press:
    40kg

Hammerstrength Pulldowns:
    60kg

What disaster on the Incline Bench. I f'in hate it. The first miss on 125 I messed up my breating and took the bar off the spotter awkwardly so I went for a 2nd and was about 1cm away from getting above the sticking point and locking out. The miss took too much out of me. Bastard.

Gonna use the Hammerstrength machines alot for a 3 week cycle. They're different to my usual freeweight assistance stuff so it should only be good.

Friday 03/10/08 ME Lower With Hangover!

Deadlift:
    110kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    120kg x 1 x 4
    140kg x 1 x 3
    160kg x 1 x 2
    180kg x 1 x 1
    190kg x 1 x 1
    205kg x 1 x 1 PR
    190 x 1 x 1
    180 x 2 x 1

RDL's:
    100kg 1 mins rest between sets

Standing Ab Pulldowns:
    97.5kg (in the main oulldown machine, happy now Hanley?)
    x 6 Ooooooooh

If Down get you a 200kg DL then Pantera get's you 205kg! I've found the secret to a good deadlift... Phil Anselmo!

Nice work on the Deads, you are seeing some great gains at the minute no? Also its **** when you miss a lift but that inclince bench seems very respectable to me!

Saturday 04/10/08 RE Upper

Flat Bench:
    85kg x 3 x 10 (sets x reps)

Seated DB Power Cleans:
    10kg DB's

HS Standing Press:
    40kg
    x 8 (after a break to chat :pac:)

Tricep Pushdowns (Straight bar):
    30kg

Seated Dumbell Power Cleans rule all. That is all.

Nice work on the Deads, you are seeing some great gains at the minute no? Also its **** when you miss a lift but that inclince bench seems very respectable to me!

Yeah the deadlift is flying it. I'm actually jittery with excitement on my way to the gym on deadlift day! It seems not training it for 3 weeks and working on my squat is the secret.

You know why I hate the Incline bench? It feels like I'm wasting alot of energy during the lift that isn't going into getting the bar up. It's not efficient I suppose is the point. It's a bit frustrating.

Why do you do it so? Is it to build the upper chest or do you see some crossover to benching?

The incline bench in TF isn't the best imo. I really think the incline is too much. It's similar to the one in Hercs, but in Hercs we throw 2 or 3 boards under the front of it which reduces the incline a bit.

Good to see ya using the proper stack for the pulldowns too ;)

Musta just missed you today, I was up there around 4.30!!!

Why do you do it so? Is it to build the upper chest or do you see some crossover to benching?

I do 3 week cycles of Bench Max Effort lifts. 3 weeks flat, 3 Incline, 3 Close grip. The fact I hate the incline makes me think I need to do it and in fairness I feel like a coiled spring when I get back to the ME Flat Bench after it.

The principle is after 3 weeks doing 1RM's on a lift you stop progressing and need to change it. Same with the 3 week squat/ deadlift cycle.

• Advertisement

The incline bench in TF isn't the best imo. I really think the incline is too much. It's similar to the one in Hercs, but in Hercs we throw 2 or 3 boards under the front of it which reduces the incline a bit.

Good to see ya using the proper stack for the pulldowns too ;)

Musta just missed you today, I was up there around 4.30!!!

Tis steep alright!

97.5 on the ab pulldowns was actually lifting me off the ground at the top end might ahve to put plates on my feet.

I was there at about 10:30 this morning. Was way too early but Mrs Pants had big shopping plans for me today.

Advertisement