Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Why didn't somebody point out to me that 97 pages is a ridiculous amount of paper before i clicked print.:o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

kevpants wrote: »
    Yeah the 5 is a bitch. I dunno sometimes you see the same weight appearing at different times in different cycles and depending on the context it can be easy or hard. Like sometimes you get to it on your final set and you're already fatigued and it's a challenge, other times it's your 2nd work-set and it's a breeze.

Some cycles you just won't be able to PR and other times you'll fly through it. It's pretty all over the place but the curve is generally up.

Nice one. Looking forward to getting into it properly in the months to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yeah the 5 is a bitch. I dunno sometimes you see the same weight appearing at different times in different cycles and depending on the context it can be easy or hard. Like sometimes you get to it on your final set and you're already fatigued and it's a challenge, other times it's your 2nd work-set and it's a breeze.

Some cycles you just won't be able to PR and other times you'll fly through it. It's pretty all over the place but the curve is generally up.

Its actually very odd how hard the 5 week is, considering you could easily take the 75 or 85% weight as a weight to use for 5x5 for instance. Do you know what I mean?

Its actually very odd how hard the 5 week is, considering you could easily take the 75 or 85% weight as a weight to use for 5x5 for instance. Do you know what I mean?

is it do to with the fact that your sposed to be lifting at a level which would negate the benefits of 5x5 or wha?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

No way I'd easily use the 85% weight as a 5x5!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hanley wrote: »
    No way I'd easily use the 85% weight as a 5x5!

Well I'm thinking that 85 isn't your real 85, so we'll call it 70-75, which is about right for the weight you'd use for a 5x5 programme? Regardless, its bizarre how much easier the 3 week feels to the 5 week.

Well I'm on Wave 3 now, and say for squats I used 175kg. I started with 165kg /.85 /.9 =215kg.

So now 175/215 = 82%

My actual max may be higher, but I'm not sure.

I'm starting a 5/3/1 thread to stop peoples journals being clogged up.

Did I say sub 3 minute Fran? Well I meant sub 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ27XzR3HJc

SICK :o

Jesus. That's absolutely amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Wednesday 08/07/09 C5W3

Bench

75% 100 x 5
    85% 115 x 3
    95% 127.5 x 3 meh

Weighted dips:
    15kg
    x15
    x7
    x5
    x5
    x5

Rolling DB Ext's:
    12.5kg
    x10
    x6
    x5
    x4
    x4

Kipping practice - about half an hour of flailing about hopelessly.

Barbel Curlzz:
    30kg
    x10
    x6 (slow neg)
    x5 (slow neg)
    x4 (slow neg)
    x4 (slow neg)

Kipping is not a game.

Thursday 09/07/09
    Stations of the cross - satan style:

Sprint up, run down x5

Repeated 4x!!

Times were;

Set 1 - 1min 21 seconds
    Set 2 - 1 min 14 seconds
    Set 3 - 1 min 13 seconds
    Set 4 - 1 min 16 seconds

A total of 5 minutes and 4 seconds of work, but it was HORRIBLE. Literally getting up and down as fast as possible. Much more of a ball breaker, and a totally different kind of pain to 30 up and downs with walks.

As above.

Friday 10/07/09 C5W3

Deathlift :pac:

75% 167.5 x 5
    85% 190 x 3
    95% 212.5 x 4 PR

SLDL's (Sumo & Defecit)
    110kg
    x8
    x8
    x8
    x8
    x8

Ab Rollouts:
    30 secs rest
    x7
    x6
    x5
    x4

I still have ab DOMs after the rollouts, getting rid of the rest period ups the intensity a bit and kills.

Mon 13/07/09 C5W3

Military Press:

75% 67.5 x 5
    85% 75 x 3
    95% 85 x 1 eeeek

Kroc Rows 40kg
    L: x23, x15, x12
    R: x23, x15, x12

Rolling DB Ext's (Floor):
    12.5kg
    x20
    x10
    x6
    x6
    x4

Rope Pushdowns:
    37.5kg
    x10
    x8
    x6
    x6
    x6

DB Hammer Curls:
    15kg, all with slow negative.
    x10
    x6
    x6
    x5

Jesus that press felt heavy, it was very nearly 85 x 0. Dunno what I did wrong. I thought I might get 2 reps. Making great progress on the Kroc Rows.

Tuesday 14/07/09

Stations of the Cross (Big Hill)
    4 sprints:
    x6
    x5
    x5
    x5

The big hill is a killer.

Fran:
    Burpees & Squats. 21-15-9
    5min 17secs.

That's my first time completing that Fran. It was the hardest thing I can remember doing. Hanley will vouch that I was in so much pain after it that I lost all dignity, I was rolling around making high pitched whimpering noises. I remember him laughing but I was not amused. Felt sick for about 15 mins after.

Weight loss is coming along. I was 233lbs this morning (105.5kg) though my scales seems to give you whatever weight it feels like at the moment. So I stepped on and off a few times. It seems to have decided on 233lbs now though. It said I was 231lbs at first, then it said 235lbs, then it said 233lbs every time I stepped on and off so I'll settle on that. I'm down anyway. Bit by bit. I was 109.3kg at my heaviest just before the weight loss program so I'm getting sexier by the day.

Tuesday 14/07/09

Stations of the Cross (Big Hill)
    4 sprints:
    x6
    x5
    x5
    x5

The big hill is a killer.

Fran:
    Burpees & Squats. 21-15-9
    5min 17secs.

That's my first time completing that Fran. It was the hardest thing I can remember doing. Hanley will vouch that I was in so much pain after it that I lost all dignity, I was rolling around making high pitched whimpering noises. I remember him laughing but I was not amused. Felt sick for about 15 mins after.

Weight loss is coming along. I was 233lbs this morning (105.5kg) though my scales seems to give you whatever weight it feels like at the moment. So I stepped on and off a few times. It seems to have decided on 233lbs now though. It said I was 231lbs at first, then it said 235lbs, then it said 233lbs every time I stepped on and off so I'll settle on that. I'm down anyway. Bit by bit. I was 109.3kg at my heaviest just before the weight loss program so I'm getting sexier by the day.

Haha sorry about that… I did know how you were feeling tho so it was really ok ;)

I think you definitely said something about it being the hardest thing you’ve ever done tho… It really is just brutal. And the fact we were going face down to the dirt didn’t help!!

My right shin’s in bits again today so I dunno how wise an idea it is to try running on it on Thursday. Fancy doing some intervals on the rowers in TF instead? Maybe some sort of weighted tabata circuit after too….?

Haha sorry about that… I did know how you were feeling tho so it was really ok ;)

I think you definitely said something about it being the hardest thing you’ve ever done tho… It really is just brutal. And the fact we were going face down to the dirt didn’t help!!

My right shin’s in bits again today so I dunno how wise an idea it is to try running on it on Thursday. Fancy doing some intervals on the rowers in TF instead? Maybe some sort of weighted tabata circuit after too….?

Sounds good! Don't worry I wasn't insulted, really I just wanted my mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

next time you do fran, i want a video :D

podge57 wrote: »
    next time you do fran, i want a video :D

If you can persuade Kev to bring in a camera at some stage next week you can see my effort at the real Fran!

Forgot to add my bit of swimming from last Sunday (12th July). I did 20 laps so 500m's. Did 27 laps (675m's) last night (Wednesday)..

I did the second swim as a set of 25m sprints rather than constant back and forth. The last time I swam there was a lot less of me.

16/07/09

Rowing:

1.29.6, 1.33.6, 1.33.6
    Total = 4.36.8
    +
    89 metres on grappler rope pull

Hanley pipped me on the last row to take the overall time victory. Shame he didn't get sub 1:30 though :)

17/07/09 C6W1

Bench:

75% 102.5 x 5
    80% 110 x 5
    85% 117.5 x 6

Boring but big:
    60% down to 40% for 5 sets of 10. Did 20 on the last set just cos I could. Weights were way too light. I was rushed doing this so was just a quick session.

I'm meant to be deloading but I'm going on 2 weeks hols on the 3rd of August so no point in deloading now.

• Advertisement

20/07/09 c6w1

Squat:

75% 145 x 5
    80% 155 x 5
    85% 165 x 7

Assistance squats:
    140 x 10
    130 x 10

Standing ab pulldowns:
    Stack:
    x20
    x11

cccraaaaamppp!

Abs cramped up something serious here. I was getting people to pull back on my arms trying to stretch the muscles to stop them cramping. I must have had the cramp for 10 or 15 mins. Thought I was gonna cry.

21/07/09

Rowing:

1:29.6 How the hell did I manage to hit exactly the same time!
    1:31.5
    1:34.2 Legs had had it by this stage.
    Total time: 4:35.3

1.5 second improvement on last time and a new best for myself and Hanleys little competetive cardio adventure. I'll get close to 4:30 if I try this next week on a day when I haven't been squatting 24 hrs before.

22/07/09 c6w1

Military Press:

75% 70 x 5
    80% 75 x 5
    85% 77.5 x 5

Dips +15kg
    x15
    x9
    x8
    x9
    x9

Rolling DB tri extensions (floor)
    10kg
    x18
    x8
    x6
    x5
    x5

Wide grip slow neg barbell curls:
    30kg
    x10
    x8
    x7
    x6
    x5

Hammer Curls:
    10kg DB's
    x12
    x9
    x7
    x7
    x7

Didn't think I'd get 77.5 for 5 but I got th bar into a nice groove and just about managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

never had any ab cramping, but it doesnt sound fun

i see you're trying to put on a gun show for the holiday :D

podge57 wrote: »

i see you're trying to put on a gun show for the holiday :D

I have no arms. None! And now that I'm losing weight I have less. Really need to at least look like a can lift decent weight. I have had friends see blokes in tight T-shirts with good biceps and nothing else say stuff like, "Would he be stronger than you now?" WTF!? Just WTF!? The guy might be 70kg with a 26 inch waist!

These questions will not be asked in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

If you don't mind me asking how much rest do you take on those rows?

If you don't mind me asking how much rest do you take on those rows?

Until I don't feel sad at the thoughts of doing another 500 metres. I don't time it. To be honest if I started before I was fully recovered I wouldn't make the 500m's. Not going all out anyway.

WTF is happening here!!?

WTF is happening here!!?

Holidays!!!!

Plus I didn't get a chance to update this thing the week before I went. I'll get to it at some stage.

Highlights:

I'm down to 222lbs (101kg), thanks to wifepants dragging me out of bed at 7:30am to walk the prom in Marbella.

I was doing the odd Franley (21-15-9, Burpees and squats) on hols and got a 3mins 37secs. Boooyah!!

star-trek-inspirational-pos.jpg

• Advertisement

Fcuking asshole to 101kg and 3.37mins.

That is all.

I'm heading to TF for around 8 tonight so I may or may not see ya at some stage!!!

Advertisement