Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »
    But isnt it that way at the moment? Most days the traffic is backed up with the volume going out that way? Surely re-opening that exit would alleviate some of that volume?

It's slow now because traffic has to slow down to take the tight curves on the ramp, but it's still freeflow. You open access to Roxboro and you have traffic leaving a motorway onto a non free flow traffic light controlled T junction. That will back up very very quickly at peak times just as it did 10 years ago. But now the traffic levels are much higher than they were 10 years ago.

The elephant in the room though is that I don't see anyway the current junction could be retrofitted to allow that movement without a complete demolition and rebuild and that's very unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

It's slow now because traffic has to slow down to take the tight curves on the ramp, but it's still freeflow. You open access to Roxboro and you have traffic leaving a motorway onto a non free flow traffic light controlled T junction. That will back up very very quickly at peak times just as it did 10 years ago. But now the traffic levels are much higher than they were 10 years ago.

The elephant in the room though is that I don't see anyway the current junction could be retrofitted to allow that movement without a complete demolition and rebuild and that's very unlikely to happen.

dont forget the cars coming out of that estate that have to use that roundabout as well in roxboro. (little feckers firing stones there sometimes as well.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wrexis

Where's the route actually going?

https://corklimerick.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Figure-4.jpg

5bjifvr.jpg

Is it shadowing the N20, or is it on top of the arrows (near Dromina, Liscarroll, Milford, Newtownshandrum)?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

It’s just at concept stage so the location of the red line is only indicative. Engineering Options to be developed in next phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

These have already been posted earlier in the thread, but as a quick reminder for those joining more recently, here are the original route plans for the M20 which were submitted to ABP over a decade ago. These plans do not include the Buttevant exit which was inserted at ABP's direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

These have already been posted earlier in the thread, but as a quick reminder for those joining more recently, here are the original route plans for the M20 which were submitted to ABP over a decade ago. These plans do not include the Buttevant exit which was inserted at ABP's direction.

The croom junction will be changed as the adare bypass is now to track north of Adare. The croom junction appears a good distance from the town. If travelling northbound you would feel its a long trek backwards into Croom for a pit stop. Most would travel into patrickswell raheen for a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Thanks for posting.

I weep as I scan those 11 year old plots from left to right and think of the smooth relaxed 100km glide from Blarney to Patrickswell that I could be enjoying instead of the wheel gripping nightmare that is currently necessary. Such a terrible terrible shame that it didn’t proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Thanks for posting.

I weep as I scan those 11 year old plots from left to right and think of the smooth relaxed 100km glide from Blarney to Patrickswell that I could be enjoying instead of the wheel gripping nightmare that is currently necessary. Such a terrible terrible shame that it didn’t proceed.

Glad to be able to contribute. I share your viewpoint fully. I travel to Shannon a lot for business - the Ballybeg bends are always where I think about how wonderful the M20 would be.

We can't control the world economy, so I can't feel too bad about the M20 being cancelled in 2011, even though I agree it was a terrible shame. However, if our new "government of change" funds that "change" by cancelling the M20 again (certain parties in particular have made lavish spending promises), I will be livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Limerick74 wrote: »

I've noticed some of the survey instruments down on certain roads around Limerick close to the motorway. Would I be right in saying these are part of this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I've noticed some of the survey instruments down on certain roads around Limerick close to the motorway. Would I be right in saying these are part of this?

They seem to be down on all routes into the city, not just near the motorway, so I doubt they're the same thing. Plus the motorway already runs to Patrickwell, so I don't know if traffic counts on the cities arterial routes would be related to this.

I'd say the traffic surveys in Limerick City are for NTA projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I weep as I scan those 11 year old plots from left to right and think of the smooth relaxed 100km glide from Blarney to Patrickswell that I could be enjoying instead of the wheel gripping nightmare that is currently necessary.
    Blarney to Patrickswell is only 80km - I know it might feel like longer but it's not!

A very comfortable 40 minute journey @120km/h had the M20 been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

We can't control the world economy, so I can't feel too bad about the M20 being cancelled in 2011, even though I agree it was a terrible shame. However, if our new "government of change" funds that "change" by cancelling the M20 again (certain parties in particular have made lavish spending promises), I will be livid.

I'd completely agree that it was not viable to progress it in 2011, but rather than cancelling it the planning stages should have been finished off and the project mothballed in a "shovel ready" state. Had that been done, the road would be open by now, similar to other projects that were suspended in 2011. By cancelling it the overall cost has increased significantly and the completion delayed by 10 years.

And yes, if it is cancelled again it will be incredibly frustrating for everyone that actually has to travel that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'd completely agree that it was not viable to progress it in 2011, but rather than cancelling it the planning stages should have been finished off and the project mothballed in a "shovel ready" state. Had that been done, the road would be open by now, similar to other projects that were suspended in 2011.
    So true it's nearly painful to think about - particularly for the families of people who have been killed on the N20 in the intervening years.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Limerick74 wrote: »
    I'd say the traffic surveys in Limerick City are for NTA projects.

Think they are for the LNDR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

serfboard wrote: »
    Blarney to Patrickswell is only 80km - I know it might feel like longer but it's not!

A very comfortable 40 minute journey @120km/h had the M20 been built.

I've often said that Cork to Limerick should take about the same time as Cork to Cashel on the M8.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we leave the politics to a more appropriate forum. [Hint - there is a forum suitable called Politics]. This is about the delivery of the much needed M20.

Can we keep to that.

This is the last warning. Off topic posts have been and will be deleted and other actions will be taken.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

<snip>

The Green Party, on the other hand, said during the campaign the proposed M20 project “makes no sense”. Speaking after talks with Fianna Fáil concluded on Thursday, Green Party leader Eamon Ryan said the NDP would have to be reviewed.

Will this clown take responsibility so for any further deaths and injuries if the M20 does not proceed ?

kub wrote: »
    The Green Party, on the other hand, said during the campaign the proposed M20 project “makes no sense”. Speaking after talks with Fianna Fáil concluded on Thursday, Green Party leader Eamon Ryan said the NDP would have to be reviewed.

Will this clown take responsibility so for any further deaths and injuries if the M20 does not proceed ?

Of course he won’t, he just wants to pedal his green agenda at any cost, we could he headed for another recession as well, what better time to put the greens into government, there will be a greenwash again the next election. 12 seats and they think they’re king makers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I’m genuinely hoping this is just all show from the Greens and that the M20 will still be in any programme for government.

Just imagine if we have an FF less government with the Taoiseach and a gov minister both being in Cork and yet they’d be happy to see the M20 shelved again.

It should finish off FF completely in Cork.

I’m genuinely hoping this is just all show from the Greens and that the M20 will still be in any programme for government.

Just imagine if we have an FF less government with the Taoiseach and a gov minister both being in Cork and yet they’d be happy to see the M20 shelved again.

It should finish off FF completely in Cork.

It didn’t finish Coveney though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It didn’t finish Coveney though

Coveney was only a minister at the time and Varadkar at least could say the country couldn’t afford it.

This will be on a different level altogether. It will look like Martin couldn’t give a f*ck about his own constituency and would do anything for power.

Coveney was only a minister at the time and Varadkar at least could say the country couldn’t afford it.

This will be on a different level altogether. It will look like Martin couldn’t give a f*ck about his own constituency and would do anything for power.
    Martin would sell his soul to be Taoiseach, if he has to row back on the M20 he’ll retire from politics at the next election.

Coveney done feck all as Tanaiste for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Housing and healthcare are probably what brought on the sinn Fein surge... Transport more around Dublin ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The greens are right about road building in general. The m20 is the last of the new motorways I’d sanction. Also those saying the money wasn’t there in 2011 , the same way they didn’t even start enabling work on dart underground. Oh the money was there, they control a collosal spend. The will and vision wasn’t there !

Markcheese wrote: »
    Housing and healthcare are probably what brought on the sinn Fein surge... Transport more around Dublin ,

Either way Sinn Fein can only grow from here unless they mess it up. FF/FG are being forced to get into bed with one another which will damage one or both of those parties. This will put SF as the lead opposition party, if all that doesn’t happen it’s another election. If the M20 isn’t built after government formation talks any big hitting TD on the N20 route is in trouble, SF don’t have a TD along that way either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Bit rich of Eamon Ryan to be complaining about road building, given he was part of the Government that built the most km of motorway in the history of the State, by some margin

Highly qualified, highly paid people said last week that the Green Party motion for a Cork-Limerick one is moronic. Maybe leave it to the experts lads

Advertisement