Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

marno21 wrote: »
    Galway has 3 motorways now. Cork has 1. Sense?

Shameful as well that there's no plans to advance the N25 between Carrigtwohill and Youghal at present. None whatsoever.

It'll have to be. The M20 can't finish at Blackpool given that most cars on the M20 will have no business in Blackpool (airport, West Cork, Cobh, Ringaskiddy, UCC/CIT, CUH etc)
    Kenny was bias to the south, Galway is in his own backyard

Imagine the amount of traffic going into blackpool as a result.

What is the cost of the Northern Ring Road?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kenny was bias to the south, Galway is in his own backyard

Imagine the amount of traffic going into blackpool as a result.

What is the cost of the Northern Ring Road?
    It depends.

The NRA were progressing two North Ring sections. The first from Killeens to the M8 near Glanmire. The second incorporating the N/S section of the Ballincollig bypass, up past Blarney onto the M20 near Killeens.

The eastern section was tying in with the M20, as it was lower cost. I personally think the western scheme would be more beneficial but I think going forward both are badly needed.

I don't have costings for either unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Athenry has 3 motorway, Galway still has one!

Pray that the M20 will have a more logical route than the M18

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Athenry has 3 motorway, Galway still has one!

Pray that the M20 will have a more logical route than the M18
    They may end in Athenry but from Galway you can now travel to Tuam, Dublin and Limerick/Patrickswell without leaving motorway/dual carraigeway.

A big difference to Cork:

Limerick: as far as Blarney
    Tralee/Killarney: as far as Ovens
    Waterford/Rosslare: as far as Carrigtwohill
    Bandon/West Cork: no HQ road
    Ringaskiddy: no HQ road

They may end in Athenry but from Galway you can now travel to Tuam, Dublin and Limerick/Patrickswell without leaving motorway/dual carraigeway.

A big difference to Cork:

Limerick: as far as Blarney
    Tralee/Killarney: as far as Ovens
    Waterford/Rosslare: as far as Carrigtwohill
    Bandon/West Cork: no HQ road
    Ringaskiddy: no HQ road

One of the worst national roads in the country after the N20

• Advertisement

One of the worst national roads in the country after the N20

After the N20?

I completely disagree it's truly an awful road, especially past Bandon.

The N20 is bad for being such an important route, however not worse than that route.

After the N20?

I completely disagree it's truly an awful road, especially past Bandon.

The N20 is bad for being such an important route, however not worse than that route.

The bad bends (can't recall the name) coming towards Buttevant from the Mallow side are as bad as the bends outside Bandon.

The N71 needs serious upgrades also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Cork -Limerick should be designated the B1 i.e. the country's foremost boreen. It defies logic that this road, linking the state's second and third cities, had had to stand in the queue behind Galway-Tuam etc.,

feargale wrote: »
    Cork -Limerick should be designated the B1 i.e. the country's foremost boreen. It defies logic that this road, linking the state's second and third cities, had had to stand in the queue behind Galway-Tuam etc.,
    Most people won't have an issue with Gort-Tuam being upgraded at the minute, given it was our most advanced big ticket scheme and went to tender in 2008. It may not do as good a job as it possibly could have given routing etc but it was still a scheme that had to be done.

A lot of people will question why there isn't the €12m being made available to progress this scheme for the next 3 years meanwhile there is a bottomless pit of cash for schemes such as the N5 through Roscommon which carries 4,500 cars a day and the Listowel bypass.

Most people won't have an issue with Gort-Tuam being upgraded at the minute, given it was our most advanced big ticket scheme and went to tender in 2008. It may not do as good a job as it possibly could have given routing etc but it was still a scheme that had to be done.

A lot of people will question why there isn't the €12m being made available to progress this scheme for the next 3 years meanwhile there is a bottomless pit of cash for schemes such as the N5 through Roscommon which carries 4,500 cars a day and the Listowel bypass.

Naughten and Healy-Rae influenced them?

• Advertisement

Well it was actually Enda/Ring and Deenihan.

Which begs the question, why didn't Noonan/Coveney/O'Donovan/Stanton/Murphy/Neville support the key infrastructure project to open up growth for their (6!!) constituencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Being a frequent user of all roads in the southwest, I believe that the Tralee bypass was a massive waste of money, it's probably one of the quietest dual carriageways in the entire country, and Tralee still seems as congested as ever.

If the Listowel bypass gets done before the M20, Adare, or any other project it will be an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Also another issue with that chamber report is the time saving. They say currently Cork to Patrickswell takes 1 hour. Coming from someone that lives in Blarney, I can't get from here to Patrickswell in one hour. Takes normally 1 hour 20 ish depending what your stuck behind. That would make the time savings 35 mins which makes the road improvement even more significant

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Being a frequent user of all roads in the southwest, I believe that the Tralee bypass was a massive waste of money, it's probably one of the quietest dual carriageways in the entire country, and Tralee still seems as congested as ever.

If the Listowel bypass gets done before the M20, Adare, or any other project it will be an absolute disgrace.

Bang on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Been on it a few times in parts but is it that big a waste? Couple of points, I'd wager a lot of the traffic in Tralee is just local and thus a bypass hasn't made a big difference.
    And, most of the through traffic there is, to Dingle N86, still has to negotiate part of the town rather than a full bypass.

The listowel bypass, I have to laugh everytime I hear this as a realistic suggestion! What, will they have a motorway right to the tarbert ferry now too?!

The listowel bypass, I have to laugh everytime I hear this as a realistic suggestion! What, will they have a motorway right to the tarbert ferry now too?!

Ah it's needed alright, just not before so many other busier schemes and routes when funds are so limited.

road_high wrote: »
    Ah it's needed alright, just not before so many other busier schemes and routes when funds are so limited.
    Yes, it's required going forward. But at a time when projects such as the M20 are suspended due to the lack of available funding for planning its a bit rich that the Listowel bypass is getting full planning funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes, it's required going forward. But at a time when projects such as the M20 are suspended due to the lack of available funding for planning its a bit rich that the Listowel bypass is getting full planning funding.

You only need to ask who is lobbying for it and what they are giving back for this road being pushed forward...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Is the Listowel bypass really going to cost that much though.

• Advertisement

Terrain wouldn't be the easiest I'd imagine, got to cross the river.

road_high wrote: »
    Terrain wouldn't be the easiest I'd imagine, got to cross the river.

OMG... A bridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's what my OH says about some one with issues. Build a bridge and cross it.
    I'm sure Danny could build one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

grogi wrote: »
    OMG... A bridge...

Yeah and a bridge costs a hell of a lot of money!
    There are a lot more congested towns crying out for a bypass before Listowel, but sure like everything in that area, Healy-Rae Ltd will be pushing for it to line their own pockets.

Yeah and a bridge costs a hell of a lot of money!

Let's not exaggerate. This 300m dual carriageway bridge costed €40m (but some time ago... ;))

Milenijny_Bridge_aerial_view_2017_P01.jpg
    There are a lot more congested towns crying out for a bypass before Listowel,

I agree with that.

But saying that a road is difficult because there is a bridge to build is as ridiculous as complaining that chicken has bones... When you build roads, you will cross rivers and valleys. You will have to go around the hills or drill through them. Land will need to be purchased etc. THAT IS PART OF LIFE.

This actually reminds me of some road works in Mahon, Cork. Papers called this 'major road improvement project' when it was just adding a single lane to existing road. Let's get some perspective...

It that is the perception, than building a motorway junction must be an engineering feast of the decade while two tram lines are the pride of the capitol...
    but sure like everything in that area, Healy-Rae Ltd will be pushing for it to line their own pockets.

Corruption is completely different story :(

grogi wrote: »
    OMG... A bridge...

Well depending on the topography and soil, they aren't cheap- and the river Feale is heading into an estuary by Listowel stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

rounders wrote: »
    Also another issue with that chamber report is the time saving. They say currently Cork to Patrickswell takes 1 hour. Coming from someone that lives in Blarney, I can't get from here to Patrickswell in one hour. Takes normally 1 hour 20 ish depending what your stuck behind. That would make the time savings 35 mins which makes the road improvement even more significant

Kanturk to Patrickswell can sometimes take an hour....lot shorter than Cork City to P'well

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Leo is clever enough and knows the Govn't needs a flagship project in Munster.

• Advertisement

They just want to give the money to someone with the PPP scheme, that's all...

Advertisement