Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Obviously the box that houses the apparatus is bigger.
    I used one of these to gather traffic data for an enforcement matter involving a business during my former career as a Planning Enforcement Officer, left it up for 3 days, freaked the life out of the business operator.

I guess this one is laser based. Are there also devices detecting pressure change when a vehicle crosses the pipe laid across the road - have seen those pipes laying on the roads many times around Cork...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we get back on the road from Cork to Limerick, or the other direction if you like.

Traffic counting will send most of us to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Mallow roundabout coming on nicely....I predict much improved traffic flow and M20 not necessary any more....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Isambard wrote: »
    Mallow roundabout coming on nicely....I predict much improved traffic flow and M20 not necessary any more....:cool:

Sorry probably shouldn't have quoted a moderation

Haven't been up that way in a while, what's going on there :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Haven't been up that way in a while, what's going on there :confused:

In general? Roundabout is being moved a few metres to the SE to accommodate 2 lane running around the roundabout

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    In general? Roundabout is being moved a few metres to the SE to accommodate 2 lane running around the roundabout

Jasus, That'll be an interesting change, will it help ease traffic on all approaches?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

From what I can see its still going to be too small. Council insisted it needed to be changed to facilitate the expansion of Dairygold (artic trucks) in Mallow and tried to get them to pay for the whole development. This was followed by legal action and Dairygold only having to pay the percentage by which traffic will increase. Original plan I think was to move the whole roundabout 200m out towards Cork but when the funding wasnt coming 100% from dairygold the plan I think was down sized and now we have what looks like just moving a few foot paths

https://www.c103.ie/news/mallow-s-annabella-roundabout-to-move/

plan was only ever to move the roundabout a couple of feet afaik. It's coming on quite well and the revised pavements already show it should work pretty smoothly. The barriers around the actual island have been moved outwards now presumbaly to allow construction of the new island. It will help traffic flow particularly as regards accessing the N72 westbound in both directions. Up til now the N72 traffic has had to use the same lane as the N20 traffic to the detriment of both whilst the Town Centre lanes in both directions have been almost empty. Gardai have been seen often stopping cars using the worng lane although you can understand the driver's frustration.

Probably the 200 m quoted earlier refers to the use of the other roundabout by trucks to access the dairygold site.

as for still going to be too small, the plan was to make the island smaller in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

rounders wrote: »
    From what I can see its still going to be too small. Council insisted it needed to be changed to facilitate the expansion of Dairygold (artic trucks) in Mallow and tried to get them to pay for the whole development. This was followed by legal action and Dairygold only having to pay the percentage by which traffic will increase. Original plan I think was to move the whole roundabout 200m out towards Cork but when the funding wasnt coming 100% from dairygold the plan I think was down sized and now we have what looks like just moving a few foot paths

https://www.c103.ie/news/mallow-s-annabella-roundabout-to-move/

It was not followed by Legal Action, they appealed a condition of their Planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I don't know how anyone can think it's coming along nicely, it's an absolute mess! For almost 4 months work they have achieved very little.
    Moved a few footpaths and put down a few kerbs. The roundabout has been removed but nothing else.

Now I know they probably had to move services and so on, but they changed the end date on the VMS 3 times, and now there is no completion date on it!

This is the same crowd that are doing Killeagh on the N25, it just seems to be very disorganised, and the quality of the work is nothing to be excited about either.

• Advertisement

they have already moved the services, which is what took the time I think. The work is taking place at night I'm told.

they have already moved the services, which is what took the time I think. The work is taking place at night I'm told.

It is being done at night alright, which probably slows the process a bit, but overall it's moving at a snails pace, and just seems to be lacking any motivation whatsoever.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wouldn't be the N20 though without a set of roadworks along it somewhere would it.

Wouldn't be the N20 though without a set of roadworks along it somewhere would it.

When you think of how much has been spent on upgrades/improvements on that road they could have gone some bit towards the M20. Even the roadworks in 2015/16, what was the cost of that.

How was that necessary bar a few drains?

When you think of how much has been spent on upgrades/improvements on that road they could have gone some bit towards the M20. Even the roadworks in 2015/16, what was the cost of that.

How was that necessary bar a few drains?

I agree and why did they have to put brand new crash barriers along the 2+1 sections when there are 2+1 sections on the same road within a couple of miles with no barriers?. If the barriers are essential, could they not just have resurfaced up to each side of the existing ones without removing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I agree and why did they have to put brand new crash barriers along the 2+1 sections when there are 2+1 sections on the same road within a couple of miles with no barriers?. If the barriers are essential, could they not just have resurfaced up to each side of the existing ones without removing them?

Because newly done parts must comply with current safety regulations?

grogi wrote: »
    Because newly done parts must comply with current safety regulations?

Not newly done though is it. Basically a re-surfacing job

That's how i see it anyway.

Does anyone have a rough estimate of the cost of the works?

They really dragged that out to the maximum.

And to make it worse, Buttevant was being done at the same time.

Only in Ireland :rolleyes:

How can you say it's not newly done? It went from a wide single carriageway to a 2+1. As far as online works go, you can't get a more stark contrast in road types.

If the barrier hadn't been replaced you'd have people on giving out about the sub standard crash barrier.

BTW I don't agree with the upgrade between Mallow and Rathduff, I think it was a massive waste of money when its glaringly obvious that a motorway is what's required.

It was entirely rebuilt in 2015/6 having been built as a 2+1 only a few years previously. The barrier was taken away from the 2+1 section and the carriageway re-surfaced (again) and then a brand new replacement barrier installed. Thus is wasn't a new work, it was maintenance in essence of the existing 2+1 section .

• Advertisement

It was entirely rebuilt in 2015/6 having been built as a 2+1 only a few years previously. The barrier was taken away from the 2+1 section and the carriageway re-surfaced (again) and then a brand new replacement barrier installed. Thus is wasn't a new work, it was maintenance in essence of the existing 2+1 section .

And there was nothing wrong with the surface either.

No money for M20 planning but plenty of money for this work which took the bones of a year to do.

And there was nothing wrong with the surface either.

No money for M20 planning but plenty of money for this work which took the bones of a year to do.

In fairness the surface did need a bit of work, large sections of it had 3 different surfaces co existing.

Odd choice to work on when other sections of the same road are poor.

Odd choice to work on when other sections of the same road are poor.

Busy section, a lot busier than Mallow to Croom.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TMK, all that 2+1 was originally put through as a pilot project. Real coincidence that it was at the turn off for the proposed dump.

Ross says finance a major obstacle to M20 scheme:

https://www.96fm.ie/news/finance-is-the-key-obstacle-to-the-m20-motorway-be/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Politics is the real major obstacle ;)

Seems like a non-article really, of course finance is an obstacle, it's not like the motorway can be built for free, however there should be more than enough scope after all these years to finance this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why don't they toll it?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Why don't they toll it?

Ssshhh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Why don't they toll it?

If another €1.90 toll is the price to pay for finally completing the Cork-Galway corridor, let's start construction today! Infrastructure this vital has to be provided - and tolling is both fair and appropriate.

Advertisement