Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

zulutango wrote: »
    Well, Paschal actually stopped it when he was minister. Not sure how much worse you can get really.
    I look at that as Simon Coveney and Michael Noonan not standing up for the region more than Pascal O'Donoghue not pulling the finger out.

As for DU and Metro North, that's a separate matter entirely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shane Ross wrote:
    While the transport element of the Capital Plan did provide for some targeted investment in a number of new projects in the Munster region, it was not possible to include the M20 in the Capital Plan as the scale of investment to deliver it was not affordable.

TII is undertaking some early activity surveys/studies on the upgrade of the road link between Cork and Limerick and there has been some engagement, at the request of the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform, on options for funding such a link. The scope for progressing the project further will be reviewed once the Capital Plan Review is completed. In this context any consideration of options for implementation of the project by way of PPP would have to be within a PPP policy framework as set by the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform

Shane Ross took a break this week from celebrating the reopening of his local Garda station to do his job, and replied to a question by Deputy Robert Troy on the M20.

Funny how there was no money to cover 3 years worth of work on the M20 (€15m) yet there apparently is enough money to progress the N6 Galway bypass, with CPOs due in the next year if planning is approved, a project which will ultimately cost almost €600m.

Anyhow, hopefully the money is reluctantly coughed up to progress to route selection/EIS/design stages which will take the scheme upto late 2020/early 2021. We will hopefully figure out then how to fund it, given at that stage we'll have a fairly limited amount of active road schemes which can be progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Just a reminder that Cahirmee is on Wednesday the 12th

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Good news forthcoming in the next week on the M20 according to the Sunday Independent:

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/DEPnR8gXkAUzj6M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭cjpm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

With this horse fair on in Buttevant, is it best to avoid the place totally this evening and tomorrow? What is the quickest way around it if travelling southbound?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    With this horse fair on in Buttevant, is it best to avoid the place totally this evening and tomorrow? What is the quickest way around it if travelling southbound?

Take a left for doneraile about 4km south of ballyhea and from doneraile follow signs for New Twopothouse. Back on n20.

Hopefully the planning for m20 will be mentioned in the summer statement on wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Go via the M8 would be the quickest route I'd imagine

pajoguy wrote: »
    Take a left for doneraile about 4km south of ballyhea and from doneraile follow signs for New Twopothouse. Back on n20.

Hopefully the planning for m20 will be mentioned in the summer statement on wednesday.

Given that this is the official Buttevant diversion route, if the OP was going Intercity it'd be as handy to go R513 via Mitchelstown

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Mc Love wrote: »
    Go via the M8 would be the quickest route I'd imagine

Go as far as Cahir? Jesus no.

Via Mitchelstown, maybe, although I despise that road.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Go as far as Cahir? Jesus no.

No - what Marno said above is what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

No - what Marno said above is what I meant.

That diversion route Will be a disaster with trucks and slow moving vehicles so definitely go M8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

We have 2 former transport ministers in Varadkar and Donohoe who previously shot down the M20 for different reasons, now that they have reached the highest positions of power in the country and it doesn't affect their constituencies i can't for the life of me see this getting off the ground as long as those 2 are pulling the purse strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

That Diversion via Doneraile is already in place. Just passed it there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Chambers of commerce report on the economic impact of the road has been presented to the government. It claims that up to 5,400 jobs could be created and 118 accidents per year prevented should it go ahead.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/cork-limerick-motorway-could-create-5-400-jobs-report-says-1.3151238?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/259284/report-shows-potential-game-changing-impact-of-limerick-cork-motorway.html#.WWTslfPO0bg.twitter

pigtown wrote: »
    Chambers of commerce report on the economic impact of the road has been presented to the government. It claims that up to 5,400 jobs could be created and 118 accidents per year prevented should it go ahead.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/cork-limerick-motorway-could-create-5-400-jobs-report-says-1.3151238?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/259284/report-shows-potential-game-changing-impact-of-limerick-cork-motorway.html#.WWTslfPO0bg.twitter
    Whatever about the jobs part - the second part of that makes it a no brainer.

Leo has mentioned this more times in a positive light in the last few weeks than Enda ever did - which is a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

marno21 wrote: »

Leo has mentioned this more times in a positive light in the last few weeks than Enda ever did - which is a start.

Link to Executive Summary Report https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/m20-executive-summary-june-2017.pdf

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Cheers for that, didn't think it would've made the RTE website. Good to see.

Re the report: the very definition of a "no brainer". We don't seem to do no brainers in Ireland though do we

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

I've heard the M20 mentioned in the media more times in the last 4 weeks than in the previous 4 years. I think momentum around the M20 is starting to build and the road won't be ignored for much longer.

My never ending quest to get an answer from one of these 2 goes on :pac::pac::pac:

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/885044823119601664

• Advertisement

My never ending quest to get an answer from one of these 2 goes on :pac::pac::pac:

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/885044823119601664

I was having a frank discussion on Facebook - most of the posters were from Buttevant/attend the fair and got the usual arguments that its the oldest horse fair etc, its only one day. Oh and supposedly it isnt organised, people just turn up. I really dont know why they cant move it to a field close by, like they do with fairs/shows, like the charleville/cappamore/ploughing championships/

I was having a frank discussion on Facebook - most of the posters were from Buttevant/attend the fair and got the usual arguments that its the oldest horse fair etc, its only one day. Oh and supposedly it isnt organised, people just turn up. I really dont know why they cant move it to a field close by, like they do with fairs/shows, like the charleville/cappamore/ploughing championships/

Personally as someone on that road regularly i hate this bloody fair.

Oldest or not, no one is trying to stop the fair from happening, just as you say, move it into a bloody field :mad:

One day or not, those roads for the diversion are just as bad if not worse than Buttevant pre refurbushment.

But sure we are talking common sense here, not very common it seems with the organisers :rolleyes:

Personally as someone on that road regularly i hate this bloody fair.

Oldest or not, no one is trying to stop the fair from happening, just as you say, move it into a bloody field :mad:

One day or not, those roads for the diversion are just as bad if not worse than Buttevant pre refurbushment.

But sure we are talking common sense here, not very common it seems with the organisers :rolleyes:

Yeah i've had the pleasure of taking the detour last year both ways and it wasnt fun, never mind what it must be like for a haulier/bus driver, both of whom I was stuck behind. An artic and a bus trying to pass each other, took ten minutes, the road was that narrow!

Yeah i've had the pleasure of taking the detour last year both ways and it wasnt fun, never mind what it must be like for a haulier/bus driver, both of whom I was stuck behind. An artic and a bus trying to pass each other, took ten minutes, the road was that narrow!

I've also been a bus driver prior to hauling on that diversion also, frustrating is an understatement.

A serious accident will happen there involving a truck and/or bus yet.

I'm avoiding it this time around but i usually cringe when i know i have to head down that way in my truck.

Worse though when you have 53 people sitting behind you.

Did you take the detour during the road works was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

" move it into a bloody field"

No bars or booze in a field

betistuc wrote: »

Plenty of fields near the bars and booze.

Did you take the detour during the road works was it?

Nope during the horse fair, had to go to CUH for an appointment and taking the Mitchelstown route would have added on a fair bit.
    betistuc wrote: »

Dont think that matters, as there was a certain ethnic group down there in numbers this morning.

Some of the residents on the main street must hate it as some of the stalls etc are right on top of their doors/windows etc

Nope during the horse fair, had to go to CUH for an appointment and taking the Mitchelstown route would have added on a fair bit.

Dont think that matters, as there was a certain ethnic group down there in numbers this morning.

Some of the residents on the main street must hate it as some of the stalls etc are right on top of their doors/windows etc

Probably part of their culture :rolleyes:

The main issue to me isn't the horse fair, it's the fact that the N20 still runs through Buttevant and traffic between the 2nd and 3rd cities is obstructed.

There would be no issue with the fair if it was blocking the R526 through Buttevant

• Advertisement

The main issue to me isn't the horse fair, it's the fact that the N20 still runs through Buttevant and traffic between the 2nd and 3rd cities is obstructed.

There would be no issue with the fair if it was blocking the R526 through Buttevant

How the county council/Gardai/RSA can even approve it is mind boggling.

Advertisement