Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

May as well be tweeting that to @realDonaldTrump I'm afraid.

The 2018 road maps of Ireland will now show a nice spine up the west coast from Patrickswell to north of Tuam as continuous motorway/dual carriageway. The gaping hole between Blarney and Patrickswell now becomes even more obvious.

marno21 wrote: »
    May as well be tweeting that to @realDonaldTrump I'm afraid.

The 2018 road maps of Ireland will now show a nice spine up the west coast from Patrickswell to north of Tuam as continuous motorway/dual carriageway. The gaping hole between Blarney and Patrickswell now becomes even more obvious.

I do it every now and again, the tweeting. whoever manages those twitter accounts is bound to see it, irrespective of them taking any action.

Yeah i agree on the continuous motorway/dual carriageway bit.

It'll be a long while yet before it's complete.

I can see either a Midleton to Youghal bypass or M25 motorway before the M20 sadly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 corinthion

Hi there, iv been reading this thread for a while now , and i think its great , im just wondering out of it all what is the preferred route of the m20 around mallow
    i know what was the old route that was preferred back in the day but i am wondering with the expansion of diarygold since then would that change the direction of the road around mallow, speaking to a few people in mallow it was thought that it would go east of Mallow , But would that still not bring the trucks through the town etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

corinthion wrote: »
    Hi there, iv been reading this thread for a while now , and i think its great , im just wondering out of it all what is the preferred route of the m20 around mallow
    i know what was the old route that was preferred back in the day but i am wondering with the expansion of diarygold since then would that change the direction of the road around mallow, speaking to a few people in mallow it was thought that it would go east of Mallow , But would that still not bring the trucks through the town etc
    The route hasn't yet been decided as we are starting from scratch.

However, there is a link road planned from the N72 near the GAA pitches to somewhere near the Hospital so trucks can avoid the town, this will likely be built in conjunction with the M20 motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

as far as Mallow and Dairygold are concerned, I thought that it had been the intention for years to build a link to the new motorway interchange from the Dairygold roundabout (ie not the N72 one) along the old railway line, skirting the Estate below the Spa Glen where space was left for it to run alongside the existing road. That would tie in with the originally proposed motorway route which in all probability will be followed in the new plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Isambard wrote: »
    as far as Mallow and Dairygold are concerned, I thought that it had been the intention for years to build a link to the new motorway interchange from the Dairygold roundabout (ie not the N72 one) along the old railway line, skirting the Estate below the Spa Glen where space was left for it to run alongside the existing road. That would tie in with the originally proposed motorway route which in all probability will be followed in the new plans.

And that's the thing - the motorway needs to be planned and route set in stone NOW, so businesses and local councils can plan around it.

If the planning is delayed, it will be more and more difficult to find a suitable route in future, as new buildings/roads etc will be erected.

Isambard wrote: »

This is the plan, it'll route that way if it'll fit otherwise it'll tie in a bit further north

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Love this quote from the article:
    Speaking to Galway Bay fm News, Deputy Canney said the motorway would lead to shorter travel times.

"We will be able to create a better traffic flow and make the towns like Athenry, Tuam and Gort more accessible to shopping," he said.

That's what we want, spend hundreds of millions on a motorway to make shopping more accessible to relatively small towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

neddynasty wrote: »
    Love this quote from the article:

That's what we want, spend hundreds of millions on a motorway to make shopping more accessible to relatively small towns.

If people have motorway, they will buy faster cars too! Better for (German) economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

BTW is it Neddy Nasty, or Ned Dynasty???

Lynne Truss wants to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Water John wrote: »
    BTW is it Neddy Nasty, or Ned Dynasty???

Lynne Truss wants to know.

lol. It's Neddy Nasty. Nickname from a time ago. Not the first time I've been asked that question!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The gaping hole between Blarney and Patrickswell now becomes even more obvious.

It's called the B1, the country's top ranking boreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 David Tucker

Repairs, re-alignments and resurfacing of N20 v M20
    As a frequent user of the road I think it is really important that Cork and Limerick councils keep investing in the N20 roads. The amount of money involved is tiny compared with a motorway. The annabella roundabout cost Euro 600,000 this is great value. I am thinking up to 5-8 minutes off my journey.
    I think south Limerick is the worst part of the road and Limerick council need to announce a scheme for that soon.
    No doubt if a motorway is announced it will start at the busiest parts centering around Mallow first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the South Limerick part of the road is nowhere near as bad as the section thorough Buttevant and on to the south. Having said that, the whole road needs replacing by the M20

I think the NRA are the responsible authority aren't they, rather than the Co Councils?

Limerick County Council on behalf of TII are the local authority conducting the early activities for the new motorway scheme, simply entitled "Cork Limerick".

Accident on the N20 at the Waterloo exit.

When is it going to be realised that the M20 is more than a matter of urgency.

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/907190018778812416

Reports of 2 dead so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Where you see that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

An accident black spot sign is the solution.

That exit would be the one near Rathduff would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭cjpm

About half way between Blarney and Rathduff. 2 side road junctions. One on left and another on the right.

That exit would be the one near Rathduff would it?

After the Blarney exit and before where the GoSafe van's are parked heading for Rathduff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

An accident black spot sign is the solution.

You are joking, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

The M20 is the solution!

Americans in their 60s apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Kevwoody wrote: »
    You are joking, right?

Perhaps he means short term solution (as the road wont be built for maybe 10 years). Crosses on the N4 near Sligo seem to give a clear message to drive carefully while we wait for the upgrade to happen. Not ideal but a stop gap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

road upgrade should be an absolute priority at this stage

Advertisement