Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptopsdirect.ie - what are they like?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

And what do you expect from a GT 620M? It is one of Nvidia's low end GPUs and in certain aspects even slower than Intel's HD 4000, it will only drain the battery faster when it kicks in. If you want to play games, look for a GT 650M or better. For anything else, the onboard HD 4000 is more than good enough.

Wrong thread by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stivystivstiv

Torqay wrote: »
    And what do you expect from a GT 620M? It is one of Nvidia's low end GPUs and in certain aspects even slower than Intel's HD 4000, it will only drain the battery faster when it kicks in. If you want to play games, look for a GT 650M or better. For anything else, the onboard HD 4000 is more than good enough.

Wrong thread by the way.

Hi Torqay,
    Thanks for being so very helpful.

I expect any dedicated graphics card to not share memory with the processor or integrated graphics card. Battery life is not of paramount importance to me. The GT620M is present in the refurbished system from laptopsdirect.ie, the new model from laptopsdirect.ie has a GT630M. I believe I will have trouble finding a system with the GT 650M you suggested within my budget.

I do some light gaming, some photoshop, occasionally some autocad and wish to run 2 displays sometimes, and seek an affordable solution.

Again, I am asking about laptopsdirect.ie, as I am thinking about ordering a system from them, I am not looking for a debate about graphics cards. I am wondering if anyone here has had positive experiences regarding buying a refurbished system from them? They are about 100-150 euros cheaper for new systems than other vendors for the specs I am looking for. If I were to purchase one of their refurbished systems instead of a new I could get an i5 instead of an i3 and more RAM for similar money. So in essence what I am asking is "laptopsdirect.ie - what are they like?", which I think you'll find is the name of the thread.

Right thread by the way.

Once again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks all.

I still say the GT 620M is a waste of money better spent on CPU power and RAM, which is far more important for Photoshop and 3D modelling. If you can stretch your budget somewhat, you'll get a quad Core i7 and 8 GB RAM for less than 700 yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Torqay wrote: »

Wrong thread by the way.

Laptop Gamers don't necessarily want to game when on Battery, I don't.

Laptop gamers don't buy a GT 620M. :D
    I expect any dedicated graphics card to not share memory with the processor or integrated graphics card.

The laptop has two GPUs and system memory will always be shared with the integrated Intel HD graphics (up to 1.25 GB, dynamically assigned), a feature which cannot be disabled. The Nvidia add-on card only kicks in when a program calls for it (Optimus technology).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Artylife

Foolishly this is the second time I have used laptops Direct, but NEVER again.
    The first time my wife ordered a new Samsung laptop via them as her machine had died and she had urgent work to complete to fulfill a contract. She paid extra (£17.00) have this delivered within 3 days to our address here in Ireland. A week and a half later and still no sign of it and many phone calls later she discovered it was in a warehouse beside Cork airport and had been addressed incorrectly by the company and we would have to collect it from there...120 mile round trip later! she could finally start work on her machine.
    What I was thinking of I cant imagine, but I thought I would give Laptops Direct another chance as, in fairness, the price was good on the items..so I ordered a nice high-end samsung computer monitor and a bag for the wife's laptop...
    BIG mistake! .... ok it was supposed to be delivered within 7 days not three, but here I am 10 days later and still no sign of it. On tracking the items it keeps telling me that they haven't even dispatched them yet! ..... I have emailed twice to complain and both emails have been ignored and remain unanswered ... I have phoned them twice and whoever answers just keeps reading off the same tracking screen as I am and telling me they have not been dispatched yet, but I should have them by next week!... idiotic and inaccurate, since I live in Ireland and they are not even in the system yet!
    Arrrrghhhh!! .....I'll keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Millser

I found these guys and they are easily the cheapest looking guys around but not sure what to do after reading this thread. I've read their terms and conditions and they all seem pretty clear on what your position is if there is a delay/fault and their return policy. I know it might be all nice sounding and they dont necessarily stick to it when there is an issue but at least it is in black and white. I'm not too worried about getting the delivery on time as long as its not completely taking the p*ss. If that was to be the only issue then I think I'm willing to take a chance to save €125. seems like a 50/50 chance of there being a problem. Is there anything else I should be worried about from these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Artylife

Well my screen and laptop bag did eventually arrive after a couple of stressful weeks and not recieving any replies from laptop direct to my emails and phone calls... the monitor is fine and as described and was definitely a bargain, so I guess if you aren't in a hurry and are patient then I'd use them.. I would again but only if I had the time to wait weeks rather than days... good luck!...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 George Huxley 1983

Ordered a laptop from here last Saturday. Arrived Tuesday. Superb service. Very happy with the product

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

I ordered a laptop from them very recently as well. Three days delivery time and the best price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Millser

I shopped around for the best price and then had a look at all the reviews about laptopsdirect.ie and have to say I was 50/50 on whether to go with them or not. Figured that the price was too good not to take a chance and my laptop arrived in perfect condition 3 days after purchase date. Cannot fault them for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Open Up

Has anyone here bought a refurbished laptop from them? I bought one in January that now has a hardware fault and they've accepted to take it back to diagnose the issue. However they're making me arrange the postage at my expense. I'm pretty sure it's up to them to foot the bill for postage if the item has a fault under the distance selling legislation. Is this legislation different for refurbished products? The warranty is for 3 months but they're telling me because it's over 28 days I'm liable for the bill. Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

My experience do not buy from this company "LaptopsDirect". If you have to send something back due to fault or wrong item in will be a nightmare. If they issue a refund in will take months.

Beware there is no bargain here there professional scammers they hold onto customers money as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I bought my last laptop from them around 4 years ago. Decent price for a solid spec at the time. The laptop owes me nothing at this stage. Never had any issues, so couldn't comment on their customer service, other than to say the product was sold as advertised and the delivery time was acceptable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I bought from them years ago (maybe as much as ten years ago). And had issues, they pretty much refused to deal with me when my laptop had issues very early on, and told me to go straight to the manufacturer. I ended up doing so, and thankfully Asus were excellent and handled the problem.

I would say that the chances of having issues with a brand new laptop, which needs to be sent back are pretty low I would think. But given what I've read on here they're not the greatest when things do go wrong.

Advertisement