Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptopsdirect.ie - what are they like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

What I have to say about these people is not positive so im saying nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Anybody know the phone number for Irish sales ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

What problems are you having with the website? Worth trying a different web browser before calling maybe?

PS They are an English company with an Irish Website, i dont think they have an Irish sales line.

Well I added two items to a basket and when I click on checkout it says

- Problem Occurred
    Sorry, your request could not be processed. Please click the back button on your browser to try again. If the problem persists please go to our home page.

same in two browsers, maybe I'll try creating an account first, is that possible ? I'll go look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

MooseJam wrote: »
    Anybody know the phone number for Irish sales ?

00 44 1484 319818

My order has finally been dispatched btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

i've found them to be morons in the past. And god help you if you have any problems

Sorry, your request could not be processed. Please click the back button on your browser to try again. If the problem persists please go to our home page.

Sorry your right.
    It looks like they were changing their website and left a Beta version live. The new search is very buggy, you cant buy anything right now.....not a professional way of doing things. Its a pity they don't have much competition in this area, nobody else has even close to the range & prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I have bought 2 laptops in the past from the English site (just got them to deliver to Ireland) and I had no problems either time, delivery was prompt and laptops are still going well. However...
    My dad liked my latest laptop, so has decided to get one through work from laptopsdirect.ie. I placed the order for him on Monday evening. Yesterday he got a call asking him did he want Office and some internet security software thingy. He called me and I told him to pass on them when they called back to confirm today. Today he called back and they told him that because these laptops are sitting on shelves for periods of time, pixels may die so would he like to pay (€59 I think it was) for an "open and check service" to make sure they where working because dead pixels aren't covered by the warranty. My dad pointed out that having dead pixels means the latop is faulty, and if its faulty he's entitled to a refund (by European Law). The operator claimed that it wasn't covered so my dad canceled the order. I used to recommend this site to anyone I met interested in getting a laptop, but after this nonsense not any more:mad:.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The operator claimed that it wasn't covered so my dad canceled the order. I used to recommend this site to anyone I met interested in getting a laptop, but after this nonsense not any more:mad:.

That's actually pretty much standard. They only repair/replace/refund it if there is a few dead pixels in the same area. Saying if he opens it and notices a dead pixel it can be returned under the 7 day cooling off period for distance selling goods.

• Advertisement

Ok i just had my first run in with their support/telephone staff and all i can say is WOW. What a shower of useless useless ejits. Utter disgrace.

It was only about ordering, i cannot imagine what poor people trying to get support from them went through.

The problem we need another website to order from and i cant find one with anywhere near the stocks/range. Maybe if we list the other websites that have a stock of laptops people might have other options......

www.komplett.ie
    www.pixmania.com
    www.elara.ie

If i can avoid ordering from them again i will, even if it costs a little more.

I have 2 on order from them, here's hoping all goes well, the prices are great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Page 1
    Col_Loki wrote:
    Have bought a number of laptops & a tv from them, no problems and would buy from them again. (i have not had to contact them with any problems).

Page 3
    Col_Loki wrote:
    Ok i just had my first run in with their support/telephone staff and all i can say is WOW. What a shower of useless useless ejits. Utter disgrace.

It was only about ordering, i cannot imagine what poor people trying to get support from them went through.

The problem we need another website to order from and i cant find one with anywhere near the stocks/range. Maybe if we list the other websites that have a stock of laptops people might have other options......

www.komplett.ie
    www.pixmania.com
    www.elara.ie

If i can avoid ordering from them again i will, even if it costs a little more.

lol

Quite the turn around.....i just cant describe how annoying it was. Everyone just wants to transfer you to someone else. Arg!!

They are a bit like NTL, great product just terrible people running the show.

NTL are woeful I spent an hour and 15 mins on hold with them a few days ago

And thats the improved NTL, should have seen them 1-2 Years ago......nearly took them to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Got the laptop on Tuesday the 9th Sept. Nearly a week since I ordered.

Laptop seems ok - but shur prob wont know this for a few weeks.

Just a few things:

1. When I ordered off the sales rep, I asked at the end twice - is that everything included (VAT, credit card usage fee etc) and was told "yes". Then when AIB rang, they said a different amount. It was about €30 difference. So just to be aware.

2. I emailed them on a Friday evening that I still had no word about the laptop and monday morning I had an email back saying it was on the way.

3. The only CD I got which I paid for was the recovery disk. Now I know I can make one myself, but for peace of mind I took this offer for €12.

4. When I turned on the laptop, everything was working - i.e no installation or prep problems. I am guessing this is cause they opened it up already to make a recovery disk.

but well see in a few weeks/months if something goes wrong. Please god it wont - I dont want to jinx myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I ordered off them and laptop got delivered to wrong address. they delivered to my credit card address instead of the address I specified

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

That's actually pretty much standard. They only repair/replace/refund it if there is a few dead pixels in the same area. Saying if he opens it and notices a dead pixel it can be returned under the 7 day cooling off period for distance selling goods.

The way the operator was putting it was that no amount of pixels where covered (I can understand if only clusters of dead pixels would be under warranty), that and the fact they where charging to make sure the damn thing was in working order really p*ssed me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

dellas1979 wrote: »
    1. When I ordered off the sales rep, I asked at the end twice - is that everything included (VAT, credit card usage fee etc) and was told "yes". Then when AIB rang, they said a different amount. It was about €30 difference. So just to be aware.

The difference is because they charge you in Sterling and not in euro, they obviously have a very optimistic conversion rate.

• Advertisement

The difference is because they charge you in Sterling and not in euro, they obviously have a very optimistic conversion rate.

That explains it, i just canceled my order (they had no stock) which was supposed to be €649 and thats what i authorised but they took €680 from the account.....i just hope they refund me the correct amount, i never want to have to call them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Col_Loki wrote: »
    That explains it, i just canceled my order (they had no stock) which was supposed to be €649 and thats what i authorised but they took €680 from the account.....i just hope they refund me the correct amount, i never want to have to call them again.

Don't want to put a downer on things but I am pretty sure they will be refunding in Sterling and the conversion will knock that out of wack as well. Might be wrong but it happened to a customer of ours that used a UK credit card and got refunded, it was short due to the conversion so we sent him a cheque for the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunshimmer

Bought two laptops from them in the last couple of months. Found them good to deal with. Laptops were very good models and as such, the price was far cheaper than the in-store Irish price. Rang customer service to change the tel. number on one of the orders. The lady was pleasant and helpful. They also did a security check which was swift and did not delay order processing. Delivery was 3 maybe 4 days. Actually grand from start to finish. Couldn't fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

sunshimmer wrote: »
    Bought two laptops from them in the last couple of months. Found them good to deal with. Laptops were very good models and as such, the price was far cheaper than the in-store Irish price. Rang customer service to change the tel. number on one of the orders. The lady was pleasant and helpful. They also did a security check which was swift and did not delay order processing. Delivery was 3 maybe 4 days. Actually grand from start to finish. Couldn't fault them.
    Just shows it depends who you get to talk to. Would be advisable to take her name and talk to her again in the future if you've any furthe issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Does Dabs stock come from here or the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Just bought my laptop off this.
    So frickin cheap if anyone's interested.:eek:

PS. If this is considered advertising and that's not allowed, please delete it.....I don't wanna get into trouble:o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The prices may be cheap, but the company is a joke. Would never buy off them again, still dealing with an Asus eee that i bought of them, problem arose in august, still not fixed. Awful awful company, would avoid like the plague

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I ordered a laptop off them last Thursday (the 9th) and no sign of it yet. I checked the order status online and it says that my order has not been dispatched yet which is a total joke considering that money left my credit card two days after I ordered it.

I also got roped into paying for them to check the pixels etc which is a total rip off :mad: Plus I've got until Monday to apply for the £50 cash back offer that they are running at the moment. Doubt I'll ever see that at this rate :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Well I finally got through to them after ringing around 4 different numbers (their customer service number in Ireland is an 087 mobile number :confused:) and they said they would check my order status and get back to me. They never got back to me but I got an email saying that my order has finally been dispatched (a full 8 days after I ordered & paid for it).

Absolute joke of a company! Touch wood that nothing happens to the laptop because I would hate to have to deal with these cowboys ever again.

Advertisement