Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptopsdirect.ie - what are they like?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

bought a machine off them last night

got a text an hour ago to tell me the order had been dispatched, so far so good

wish id seen this thread earlier tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Helix wrote: »
    bought a machine off them last night

got a text an hour ago to tell me the order had been dispatched, so far so good

wish id seen this thread earlier tho

With any luck you will never have a bother with the machine and never have to deal with them after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I've ordered from them twice, several years apart for different things (most recently an Eee PC 1000) and I've had no difficulties at all.

As another poster mentioned, cheap laptops = cost costs and this is always on the customer service side first. So if you have problems with delivery or technical issue then you may run in to difficulties.

All that said, the company that I have consistently had the most service problems with over the last 15 years has been Dell. They have failed to deliver at all levels of sales and support from consumer through to on site corporate support. They always get something wrong, sometimes minor and other times major. Whether it's missing components, incorrect spec., deliveries vanishing into the ether, needlessly arguing trivial technical issues.. you name it.

machalla wrote: »
    With any luck you will never have a bother with the machine and never have to deal with them after this.

well...

i locked myself out of the machine today, after apparently typoing my new password twice in the exact same way lol

in the process of reinstalling the OS

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Helix wrote: »
    well...

i locked myself out of the machine today, after apparently typoing my new password twice in the exact same way lol

in the process of reinstalling the OS
    You might not need to reinstall vista. Try doing these first.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/102005-reset-user-account-password.html

• Advertisement

You might not need to reinstall vista. Try doing these first.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/102005-reset-user-account-password.html

its not vista

its linux

for the record, it turns out its exceptionally easy to get into a eee pc without the password

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Just found out about laptopsdirect recently.

The prices are very competitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

I have ordered my Samsung NC10 on Monday, yesterday I have received the delivery. No complaints (so far). 1 day delivery - not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Lads, has anyone successfully ordered off laptopsdirect using an Irish Laser/Maestro card?? Apparently Irish and UK maestro are different but seeing as laptopsdirect.ie is supposed to be their Irish site, they might accept an Irish maestro card??

Its just after running into a few problems last time i was hoping i could avoid them by using Maestro instead of Visa

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Lads, has anyone successfully ordered off laptopsdirect using an Irish Laser/Maestro card?? Apparently Irish and UK maestro are different but seeing as laptopsdirect.ie is supposed to be their Irish site, they might accept an Irish maestro card??

Its just after running into a few problems last time i was hoping i could avoid them by using Maestro instead of Visa

Irish Laser cards generally wont work outside of Ireland, despite being maestro cards. And Laptopsdirect, despite having a .ie domain, are an English company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Irish Laser cards generally wont work outside of Ireland, despite being maestro cards. And Laptopsdirect, despite having a .ie domain, are an English company.
    Yup, you better off using Credit Card or you'll end up with problems. English company also and thats where your laptop comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GadgetGeek

Ordered a TH42PZ81B from laptopsdirect.ie after some initial problems with their ordering system they took my order and assured me the order would be delivered in two days :D. Received confirmation email:D. After a day when their website still said my order had not been dispatched:confused:. I used their eMessaging system (as they recommended) and after three requests for information I was assured that the order was dispatched they also included information of how to track my order through the transportation company (which can only be checked by phone):confused:. Called the transportation company who said they never received the order:(. Called laptopsdirect.ie through the Irish number, to be informed that even though laptopsdirect.ie list plenty of 42 inch (and bigger) TVs that they could not deliver anything greater than 37 inch to the Republic. They admitted that they should never have taken the order :confused: :mad:. They then offered to let me change my order, which I declined and then said that they would have to cancel my order. I received a confirmation of the cancelation by email. A day later I found out that they still went ahead and charged my credit card company :eek:. I have been on to my credit card company and they have told me to try to resolve the issue with laptopsdirect.ie directly if this fails they will then get involved. I will not be returning to laptopsdirect.ie with my cash EVER again :confused:.

GadgetGeek wrote: »
    Ordered a TH42PZ81B from laptopsdirect.ie after some initial problems with their ordering system they took my order and assured me the order would be delivered in two days :D. Received confirmation email:D. After a day when their website still said my order had not been dispatched:confused:. I used their eMessaging system (as they recommended) and after three requests for information I was assured that the order was dispatched they also included information of how to track my order through the transportation company (which can only be checked by phone):confused:. Called the transportation company who said they never received the order:(. Called laptopsdirect.ie through the Irish number, to be informed that even though laptopsdirect.ie list plenty of 42 inch (and bigger) TVs that they could not deliver anything greater than 37 inch to the Republic. They admitted that they should never have taken the order :confused: :mad:. They then offered to let me change my order, which I declined and then said that they would have to cancel my order. I received a confirmation of the cancelation by email. A day later I found out that they still went ahead and charged my credit card company :eek:. I have been on to my credit card company and they have told me to try to resolve the issue with laptopsdirect.ie directly if this fails they will then get involved. I will not be returning to laptopsdirect.ie with my cash EVER again :confused:.
    Oh dear that's not good :( - Clearly from the post, it was an emotional time for you :(

:eek::eek::eek:

Thats pretty poor alright. Good thing i didnt order my new 40" samsung off them. Bought off www.samsyerman.co.uk in the end. Ordered over the phone at about 4 today. My tv will be dispatched on monday and it'll make its way down to me inn Cork by Wednesday.I would have ordered off richersounds but they were out of stock of the samsung for about 2 weeks. Samsyerman were a pleasure to deal with and i aint the only boardsie to say that.

Forget laptopsdirect and directtvs. Thats countless numbers of boardsies i've seen have problems with them.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

Thats pretty poor alright. Good thing i didnt order my new 40" samsung off them. Bought off www.samsyerman.co.uk in the end. Ordered over the phone at about 4 today. My tv will be dispatched on monday and it'll make its way down to me inn Cork by Wednesday.I would have ordered off richersounds but they were out of stock of the samsung for about 2 weeks. Samsyerman were a pleasure to deal with and i aint the only boardsie to say that.

Forget laptopsdirect and directtvs. Thats countless numbers of boardsies i've seen have problems with them.

Just checked www.samsyerman.co.uk and they don't seem to supply the TH42PZ81B that I'm looking for. Again I'm waiting on richersounds to get more stock in, the search continues.

Just checked www.samsyerman.co.uk and they don't seem to supply the TH42PZ81B that I'm looking for. Again I'm waiting on richersounds to get more stock in, the search continues.

You could always ring them up anyway. The tv i ordered was'nt on the website either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I ordered a laptop from them on saturday night. I thought they looked like a good company. Freakin out a bit now after reading this thread. Haven't heard anything from them yet but it is only monday morning. I'll be keeping an eye on the tracking with my fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You should be okay, they are usually okay dispatching stuff, it's only when things go wrong and you need to send stuff back is when the problems start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

There was a small article pimping them in the Sunday Business Post yesterday. Only mentioned prices not the appalling customer service they provide. Good luck with the laptop phi3. With any luck you will never have to deal with Laptops Direct after that and you will be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

machalla wrote: »
    There was a small article pimping them in the Sunday Business Post yesterday. Only mentioned prices not the appalling customer service they provide. Good luck with the laptop phi3. With any luck you will never have to deal with Laptops Direct after that and you will be grand.

Yes, I saw it too. Proof if ever there was any needed to take anything Adrian Weckler writes with a large helping of salt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yes, I saw it too. Proof if ever there was any needed to take anything Adrian Weckler writes with a large helping of salt.
    http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpictures03b/large-salt-pile.jpg

^^ Is that large enough? In fairness to him when the thread titled "Do not buy from laptopsdirect" is now only the third result on google instead of the first like it was a while ago.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=laptops+direct&btnG=Search&meta=

Oh crap you right :eek: Dodgy writing anything on boards, always up high in google.

Boards.ie destroying company names since 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Well all good with mine so far (samsung x22)
    I got them to check and install everything before sending it out. So that delays it a few days.
    Ordered it Saturday night. It arrived Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Regardless of how dodgy laptopsdirect might be, the Asus N10 is 60 lids cheaper on their website than elara's...a lot of people will risk it for that sorta saving i think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bambi wrote: »
    Regardless of how dodgy laptopsdirect might be, the Asus N10 is 60 lids cheaper on their website than elara's...a lot of people will risk it for that sorta saving i think

The price is only one part of owning the laptop.

I purchased an IBM laptop from Laptopsdirect.ie three years ago. I have never had to contact them since, therefore, my experience was positive with them.

However, when I moderated this forum, I had to ban several Laptopsdirect.ie shill accounts, all pretending to be satisfied customers.

Plus, I don't beleive anyone here has gone on record as having a positive experience of their after-sales support. There have been tales long delays getting a response, never mind getting something done about laptops that were not working.

So, if all goes well and you have no reason to contact them, it will be a positive experience. However, how to you quantify the cost of incompetent and dis-insterested support staff?

Yup you're betting a 60 euro saving on not having problems. It's actually more than that if the free delivery applies to Ireland.

/shill :pac:

canyonero.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Wow... there was me thinking I was the only one... I ordered a laptop off them before Christmas (around the 16th Dec) and it arrived within 3 working days, which is all fine and dandy. It was a great machine for the price 1gb nvidia card subwoofer and everything, pretty cheap compared to other companies. With excitement and glee in my eyes, I unpacked it all, plugged it in, opened it up, turned it on... then i thought... hey what a weird screen saver... looked back a bit and realised the screen was cracked all down the right hand side :(

To my utter disappointment I rang them up... At first they where useful, Customer service sent me an email showing me the returns form, so I filled it out and sent it off. The next morning I rang up to see if it went through, they said they never received it, so I asked for it to be collected, they said they will sort it out and sent me a message saying they will look into it now... 2 days later I rang up again... yet again... nope no record (I start to get annoyed here) So I asked them again, can you get it collected ASAP as this was a Christmas present and I would like a refund, same answer again, ok it will be done :P gave me a delivery date 23rd dec

So... as you can guess it didn't get collected... 2-3 phone calls and email later, got the date 30th... nope... 2nd Jan.. Another phone call... 7th Jan.. Finally got collected and still waiting on the refund.

Well to sum up, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone; the hassle is not worth the amount of money saved.

Some fella on the last word was on about laptops and netbooks who probably mentioned laptopsdirect previously said that he'd heard now that they werent the best etc

We know you're reading this thread last word guy, own up :mad:

• Advertisement

The latest update was, when they lodged the money back to my credit card with the falling pound (£) I was out of pocket by 40 Euro. Laptopsdirect.ie said this was not there problem and were quite ignorant about it, I must also admit to been quite annoyed which probably didn’t help. I contacted the credit card company how said they were in violation and to apply in writing to the credit card company stating "Due to the merchant processing the transaction in error I have suffered a finance loss as a direct result of the violation of these regulations”
    This was a lot of work considering I’ve got nothing to show for it, bar a headache. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Advertisement