Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptopsdirect.ie - what are they like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 downey

Im a bit worried now. Ordered back on Sunday the 27th. Was told it would take 3 days for delivery. Monday was a bank holiday so i expected it on Thursday. Got an email on the 29th saying it has been despatched so everything seemed to be going alright. In the email they gave me a number to call to track. Called them Thursday to ask what time would it be delivered and was told that they wont be receiving any laptops from LTD until Monday the 4th of Jan. Seen as im in cork i wont receive it until the following day. Called them today and they said no deliveries came in and it will be tomorrow (Tuesday the 5th) and i will have it on wednesday.

Now the thing is i bought the laptop because im going away for 6 weeks and need to keep in contact with home through it. My flight is at 6.30am Thursday. So if my laptop isnt in dublin tomorrow i wont have it before i go and i will be making some very nasty phone calls to laptopdirect.

Can anyone tell me is it possible to cancel the payment with VISA if LTD decide to f*$k me around??

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭scottyboy1973

Dunno about the cancellation thing but what I do know is that a friend of mine bough a laptop from them pre-Xmas and it wass in Dublin the next day. I'm looking at getting one from them too at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

What courier do laptopsdirect use in Ireland ?
    A crowd called 'City Air' I believe, based near the airport.
    downey wrote: »
    Im a bit worried now. Ordered back on Sunday the 27th. Was told it would take 3 days for delivery. Monday was a bank holiday so i expected it on Thursday. Got an email on the 29th saying it has been despatched so everything seemed to be going alright. In the email they gave me a number to call to track. Called them Thursday to ask what time would it be delivered and was told that they wont be receiving any laptops from LTD until Monday the 4th of Jan. Seen as im in cork i wont receive it until the following day. Called them today and they said no deliveries came in and it will be tomorrow (Tuesday the 5th) and i will have it on wednesday.

Now the thing is i bought the laptop because im going away for 6 weeks and need to keep in contact with home through it. My flight is at 6.30am Thursday. So if my laptop isnt in dublin tomorrow i wont have it before i go and i will be making some very nasty phone calls to laptopdirect.

Can anyone tell me is it possible to cancel the payment with VISA if LTD decide to f*$k me around??

If it was despatched on the 29th, the problem is with the couriers on both sides (whoever gets it out of the UK, and whoever gets it into Ireland and delivers) and not laptops direct. You could ring LTD up and give them a 'nasty phonecall', but its not going to make the laptop arrive any quicker.

To bo honest, common sense should have prevailed, ordering anything around the holiday season is going to take longer, what with days off, backlogs, adverse weather etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 castlegate

downey wrote: »

Downey,
    I had a similar experience. I was expecting a delivery on Tuesday last week and when I contacted City Air I was told that they they had not received the goods from LTD. So I e-mailed LTD and cancelled my order. I had bought using paypal and I was told that they will refund me as soon as they get the goods back (max 10 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭scottyboy1973

Laptop ordered from LTD today. Received all the various emails and have been told that it will be shipped today from Huddersfield (which I know is currently under a foot of snow!) for receipt in Dublin tomorrow (which is under an inch of snow - though watching folk drive you'd think it was a foot!)

More tomorrow on whether it arrives or not.

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Disgusted with that shower.. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot bargepole. Sure, it arrived in a timely manner, but if you have trouble with it, you're shafted.

I bought a refurbished acer laptop from acerdirect.co.uk last year. From day one, it ran very hot and shut itself off occasionally. A few months ago, it started shutting itself off every 10 or 15 minutes, and it melted a laptop tray it was sitting on. I have factory reset it, did everything I could think of without opening it up and risking voiding warranty.

I contacted buyitdirect.co.uk as instructed via their e-messageing system with my order number and a description of the problem. I was advised to contact Acer directly. I rang Acer, gave a description of the problem and they tried to arrange collection and repair, but when I gave them the serial number, they told me the machine was registered to someone else so they couldn't help me. I figured this was to do with the 'refurb' part of the laptop description, so I sent buyitdirect.co.uk another emessage. The reply stated that they would deal with the issue, and they arranged collection of the laptop last month.

A couple of weeks later, I get a message that my laptop is being processed, then that it is being returned. I ask if it was replaced or repaired, the reply was "this is being returned, you should have confirmation of dispatch within 48 hours". Informative. So I wait, now today, a week later, I send them a message asking for the tracking number and for a description of what was wrong and repaired on the laptop (I work in IT support, I know my way around a laptop). The idiot on the other end tells me it'll be with me in a few days (not what I asked) and that it was being returned because they couldn't find a fault with it. Seriously, they must not have switched the damned thing on for more than 2 minutes. I'm so angry.

I called the support number for Ireland, customer service just tells you to use the emessaging system. So I rang the UK number (imagine the cost), customer services aren't taking calls because of the snow. How convenient that their sales department were able to brave the bad weather and make it in, but customer services couldn't? That should tell you a lot about their priorities right there. I'm angry and I feel like I can't speak to a human being to find out what is happening. Sending it straight back again (which I will be doing) will only use up more time, and my warranty expires in a month, which I'm sure is what they are banking on.

Folks, avoid Laptops Direct / Appliances Direct / Direct TVs / Servers Direct / Acer Direct / AirCon Direct / Shop Targus and anything else this crowd of imbeciles run. They are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 downey

just to let ye know i got the laptop the day before i left for holidays and im very happy with it. I would have no problem with ordering from them again, but i wouldnt rely on the 3 day delivery that they claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I'm thinking of purchasing an Acer Aspire 6930g is the "Restore and Recovery Disk" advertised as an essential extra at E14.70 worth it? The laptop comes with Vista Home Premium but I would be upgrading to Windows 7 if that makes a difference. Could I not just make a recovery disk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

hi guys,

i'm looking at getting an acer aspire 1420p.

laptopsdirect has it for about €520 inc shipping.

elara has it for about €540 inc shipping but will not have it in stock until the end of the month.

i'm wondering if i should take the chance with laptopsdirect or hold tough for elara.

has anyone had positive dealings with laptopsdirect recently?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

has anyone had positive dealings with laptopsdirect recently?

cheers
    I bought a refurbished laptop off them and it arrived doa. I was dreading trying to send it back after all the horror stories, doubly so because it wasnt exactly cheap (overclockable quadcore and SLI 9800s :pac:). But actually it went without a hitch.

If I recall I requested the RMA on a Saturday and they approved it on Sunday. City Air picked it up on the Tuesday and I got a refund a few days later. Maybe I got lucky but I had no issues with their service at all. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Hold out for elara

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭NellyMcD

Bought twice with Elara. They are efficient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 josin

I bought an Acer refurb. in Jan. Wouldn't reboot. Contacted LTD who told me to contact Acer. Courier arrived next day (Jan.7th) to pick up laptop. Hooray, great service.....not!
    2 weeks later I rang LTD to get an update. I was told that they didn't have laptop it was with AE Tech. Banbridge. Rang them and told to wait 4 working days for update....laptop needed new motherboard. I got fed up ringing AE Tech. and rang LTD to get replacement or refund. I was told I would have to get Laptop back unrepaired from AE Tech. Then they would send a courier to collect it. I eventually got my laptop back ( unrepaired ) on Feb 12th.....minus leads and charger. LTD told me that they would not take the laptop back without the original charger etc. I spent the last 7 weeks ringing Acer customer services to no avail. They kept telling me to call back for updates.
    I got so mad that I drove up to AE Tech. in Banbridge yesterday. He said that he had no information from customer services regarding the missing leads and charger. He gave me new Acer leads etc. Now I have to contact LTD and get them to take the laptop away. I'm going to demand a refund......4 months is a long time. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 josin

Update on my dud Acer laptop is.....I got a replacement laptop but it cost me £50 extra as they didn't have same spec laptop to replace the one I sent back. New one is a Toshiba and is working fine. I now have to see if I can get a refund for the money I spent out sending the dud one back. Although I'm happy with my new one I would never ever buy anything from Laptopsdirect again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Try the following on your screen before sending it back. It might work which will save you a load of hassle.

http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php

not to drag the thread OT but just to say a HUGE THANK YOU AC for this one! fixed a dead pixel on my netbook here that had bothered me the last couple of months, AND a dead pixel on my main laptop, dead pixel the last two years (which had annoyed me to the point where i would only use my tv as a monitor). ohh happy days and how simple things amuse me,

*goes off to look for the poster "donate" button*, well worth it and thanks again! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Are this lot really that bad? They have a badass lappy in stock and I haven't seen it in any local shops...I don't wanna spend 400euros and receive a dead laptop and then on top of that have to deal with tw*ts on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I had no problem with them. Got a great laptop for a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Anyone else? Considering buying from them, this thread is mostly years old....Dabs and Elara are a lot more expensive for what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I've used them twice in the past -maybe 4 years, and 3 years ago...

First time no probs excellent service.
    Second time was first of all an absolute nightmare trying to pay through the business and claim vat back, then they couldn't supply the one I wanted, finally trying to get the thing delivered was ordeal.

I honestly cant figure how the same company could differ so much whe doing the same thing twice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Occono wrote: »
    Anyone else? Considering buying from them, this thread is mostly years old....Dabs and Elara are a lot more expensive for what I'm looking for.

What are you looking for ?:)

• Advertisement

Jarren wrote: »
    What are you looking for ?:)

A moderate gaming-capable laptop, not something top of the line.

This is what I was looking at

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_5755G_Core_i3_Gaming_Laptop_NX.RV3EK.001/version.asp

Very good price for that Acer,couldn't find better deal.

If you are interested in upgrading CPU ...

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5755G_1201803.html

Very good price for that Acer,couldn't find better deal.

If you are interested in upgrading CPU ...

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5755G_1201803.html

Do you think I should? I've read it shouldn't make too much of a difference...

Yeah, it's a good price, but this topic makes me worrisome about it...but most of the posts are years old, hence my asking :P

Oh, it's here too: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5755G_1201802.html

They're well-regarded, yes? That's also definitely a "new" one right, not one of those "open box" deals?

That acer from SOL is brand new unit,there will be no much difference from gaming point of view.
    what is max budget btw?

That acer from SOL is brand new unit,there will be no much difference from gaming point of view.
    what is max budget btw?

Well, ideally around 550-600, but I could go up to about 700-750 if it was really worth it....the 5755G sounds perfect though, then, if the i3 isn't a problem.

Nope i3 won't be a problem at all,spend that extra cash on decent SSD:)

Nope i3 won't be a problem at all,spend that extra cash on decent SSD:)

I don't think you can upgrade the built-in, do you mean an external?

Internal

You can upgrade your HDD with SSD there will be real difference in terms of laptop speed.
    note that this only for accesing program's /files , boot up etc.

Internal

You can upgrade your HDD with SSD there will be real difference in terms of laptop speed.

• Advertisement

Internal

Ah, but is that something that requires any knowledge of upgrading a computer? :P I'll look into it...

Advertisement