Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptopsdirect.ie - what are they like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

GadgetGeek wrote: »
    The latest update was, when they lodged the money back to my credit card with the falling pound (£) I was out of pocket by 40 Euro. Laptopsdirect.ie said this was not there problem and were quite ignorant about it, I must also admit to been quite annoyed which probably didn’t help. I contacted the credit card company how said they were in violation and to apply in writing to the credit card company stating "Due to the merchant processing the transaction in error I have suffered a finance loss as a direct result of the violation of these regulations”
    This was a lot of work considering I’ve got nothing to show for it, bar a headache. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Em I just counted up mine there too from L.D. Just making sure, did you include the currency conversion fee? that might of brought it up. Well at least your one step ahead of me and actually have some sort of refund :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GadgetGeek

Em I just counted up mine there too from L.D. Just making sure, did you include the currency conversion fee? that might of brought it up. Well at least your one step ahead of me and actually have some sort of refund :(
    The credit card company assured me that I would get the balance after an application in writing. It's just every part of the process with L.D. went wrong. Every part!:(

Well, honestly, thank you as I know what to do next if the same thing happens to me (more than likely it will :P ) I didn't think a company could honestly be this bad with customer service. I had 1-2 phone calls that where actually polite and helpful out of...15+ phone calls and emails.

Best of Luck and thank God for the credit card assurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I had one bought for me last week as a surprise (A Toshiba Satellite Pro A300-1NH - T5870 2.0/3GB/250GB /15.4" WXGA Trubrite®/VBus/GM45/DVD-SMDL/11agn/1.3Mp Cam) This is what it says on the email. It should be arriving today.

Had an issue or two already as when I was checking the tracking order it suddenly appeared as being refunded. I contacted them and asked why as I didn't ask for the refund and was then told it was a staff error.

Then I had a direct marketing call trying to sell me a case for it, anti virus & insurance against dead pixels. When I declined the operator started to push a hard sale, telling me that Norton & Mc Affee were rubbish & that dead pixels were not covered under warranty (unless there were five or more).

Then when the order showed the item despatched, it actually was not with the courier. The courier stated that this was the norm & they had this problem quite regularly.

So, after skimping through this thread, I now await with baited breath.....

While I'm here, is it possible to buy an in car charger for a laptop & if so what would be a reasonable price? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭triple-play

Ordered a TH42PZ81B from laptopsdirect.ie after some initial problems with their ordering system they took my order and assured me the order would be delivered in two days :D. Received confirmation email:D. After a day when their website still said my order had not been dispatched:confused:. I used their eMessaging system (as they recommended) and after three requests for information I was assured that the order was dispatched they also included information of how to track my order through the transportation company (which can only be checked by phone):confused:. Called the transportation company who said they never received the order:(. Called laptopsdirect.ie through the Irish number, to be informed that even though laptopsdirect.ie list plenty of 42 inch (and bigger) TVs that they could not deliver anything greater than 37 inch to the Republic. They admitted that they should never have taken the order :confused: :mad:. They then offered to let me change my order, which I declined and then said that they would have to cancel my order. I received a confirmation of the cancelation by email. A day later I found out that they still went ahead and charged my credit card company :eek:. I have been on to my credit card company and they have told me to try to resolve the issue with laptopsdirect.ie directly if this fails they will then get involved. I will not be returning to laptopsdirect.ie with my cash EVER again :confused:.

I ordered my TH42PZ80 (42" plasma) from Laptopsdirect and it was delivered in 2 days with no fuss or problems. The whole experience was fine. No issue with the screen size being shipped to ROI.

I ordered my TH42PZ80 (42" plasma) from Laptopsdirect and it was delivered in 2 days with no fuss or problems. The whole experience was fine. No issue with the screen size being shipped to ROI.
    Well that really puts the ability of there customer service in question or were they telling porkie pies. Either way they returned most of the money and caused a lot of hassle. Was your purchase recent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭triple-play

Yes. I ordered it on Wednesday Jan 7 and it arrived to my house on Friday Jan 9. I also ordered a stand and it was delivered at the same time (boxed seperately). The delivery was actually at around 2030 so the guy must have been working overtime...
    They sound a bit like Ryanair, when it goes right the service works well, but when it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sparky2201

Well that really puts the ability of there customer service in question or were they telling porkie pies. Either way they returned most of the money and caused a lot of hassle. Was your purchase recent?
    Yes. I ordered it on Wednesday Jan 7 and it arrived to my house on Friday Jan 9. I also ordered a stand and it was delivered at the same time (boxed seperately). The delivery was actually at around 2030 so the guy must have been working overtime...
    They sound a bit like Ryanair, when it goes right the service works well, but when it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong...

I've read the reviews on this post and they would cause concern and I did hesitate before finally pulling the trigger and ordering from Laptopsdirect. I ordered a TH42PZ81B plasma and stand on Monday 12th and it arrived yesterday morning. All I can say is that when their service works it works! I've had no problems, the price was good and I can have no complaints about the entire experience. I would use them again and I would recommend them but with the warning that if you do need to go down the road of refunds and returns, it may be a long and frustrating experience - based on the comments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I ordered this on Tuesday (13/01/09)
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Asus_X59GL-AP007C_15.4-_Laptop_X59GL-AP007C/version.asp

When I made the order it was saying they were in stock and I paid for 1-2 days delivery.

No sign of it today so Checked my email and had not received an email confirming it had been dispatched so rang the company.

Asked what the story to customer service, saying it said they were in stock when I ordered and I paid for a 2 day delivery and it hasn't arrived.

I was told it hadn't arrived into their warehouse and they were expecting it today, I should have it Monday. I'm only after taking a shop to the small claims court (and won) and don't want the hassle again. I need the laptop for next weekend.

So if it's not here on Monday, how hard would it be to cancel the order (they already took the money off the visa card) and get a refund? anyone know or know where I can find out?

When I was told it would be here on Monday, I asked for the customer service guys name (Simon). He wouldn't give me his last name. I hope beyond hope I've no problems with this order.

Any help/advice much appreciated

• Advertisement

Sparky2201 wrote: »
    I've read the reviews on this post and they would cause concern and I did hesitate before finally pulling the trigger and ordering from Laptopsdirect. I ordered a TH42PZ81B plasma and stand on Monday 12th and it arrived yesterday morning. All I can say is that when their service works it works! I've had no problems, the price was good and I can have no complaints about the entire experience. I would use them again and I would recommend them but with the warning that if you do need to go down the road of refunds and returns, it may be a long and frustrating experience - based on the comments here.
    OMG just what I wanted. Any complaints (with the TV I meant).

Has anyone got an alternative to LD.ie for the 42 Plasma. I have tried Richersounds.ie and Samsyerman but TH42PZ81B is sold out in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sparky2201

OMG just what I wanted. Any complaints (with the TV I meant).

No complaints at all. The TV is great - would recommned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Has issues there the past week, with their customer service saying a (next day) delivery had been dispatched when it turns it had not been sent due to 'stock issues'. Finally got it yesterday, happy with the purchase but I've found the customer service to be a bit dodgy:
    On 22/01/2009 10:08:58
    <CUSTOMER SERVICE REP>Wrote:
    Hello
    I am sorry about that we did not know they were going to do that and im very sorry this has happened
    Thank you

On 22/01/2009 00:13:09
    Vokes Wrote:
    Further on from my email yesterday regarding my missing item. I have now been able to check with the neighbour who had in fact signed and accepted my package. So I am now in possession of my ordered item. I would like to add that I never intimated that the order could be passed to anyone else and I wouldnt expect neighbours to sign for things. There was no sign of my package in the communal hallway and no note to say anybody was holding it so you can understand my concern. I would have much preferred a delivery notice to collect from the parcel depot instead.
    your sincerely,
    <SOME OTHER DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER>

Yup, the above email is not actually from myself, yet they sent the response to me. Bizarre indeed.

I made an order for a laptop, paying for the 2 day deliver. When it dfidn't arrive after the 2 days and i'd received nno dispatch note I got in touch asking what was going on. The customer servgice guy, who sounded like he really couldn't be bothered, told me they were expecting it into their warehouse that day and i'd have it monday.

When it didn't arrive monday i rang again and got the same response so cancelled the order. I eventually got the laptop from pixmania and their was no problems at all with the delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I ordered a laptop off these guys at the start of January. It hadnt arrived last Monday so i rang them up and they told me the laptop was out of stock so they cancelled the order there and then and i got the refunded today. Im after losing 100euro tho due to the exhange rates so im really pi$$ed off with them.

I wonder when the would have gotten around to cancelling my order and refunding me if i didn't ring them. They are a very dodgy company in my opinion and not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I ordered a laptop off these guys at the start of January. It hadnt arrived last Monday so i rang them up and they told me the laptop was out of stock so they cancelled the order there and then and i got the refunded today. Im after losing 100euro tho due to the exhange rates so im really pi$$ed off with them.

I wonder when the would have gotten around to cancelling my order and refunding me if i didn't ring them. They are a very dodgy company in my opinion and not worth the hassle.

Thats disgraceful!! Surely, because you paid in euro, shouldnt you get back exactly the same amount, in euro?? Thats completely unfair. I would have thought that legally they would have the refund you the amount in euro??

I'm in the same situation, I have to ring up the credit card company now to make sure I get a full refund. If not, I'll be taking them to the small claims court.

The latest update was, when they lodged the money back to my credit card with the falling pound (£) I was out of pocket by 40 Euro. Laptopsdirect.ie said this was not there problem and were quite ignorant about it, I must also admit to been quite annoyed which probably didn’t help. I contacted the credit card company who said they were in violation and to apply in writing to the credit card company stating "Due to the merchant processing the transaction in error I have suffered a finance loss as a direct result of the violation of these regulations
    This was a lot of work considering I’ve got nothing to show for it, bar a headache. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.
    See above this is what I was advised by me credit card company.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 churrusco2

Bought a laptop last Monday.

I made the payment using my Laser card because in their website said that there was an extra charge of 12 euros (except Laser) Mastercard. Anyways, I got charged the 12 euros.

Despite of this, it looks like there is some kind of limit in my laser card because the transaction was not accepted. So, since last monday I've been trying to contact them through their email service ( I do not want to call them ) without any success to fix this problem and either repay or cancel and rebuy, but it looks like these guys do not like to sell....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

god bless the internet. was going to buy a laptop off this crowd, but they seem shockingly bad. going to buy off cheaplaptops.ie, ok its like 80 euro more for same laptop, but its irish company, with irish numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 speedy1999

The latest update was, when they lodged the money back to my credit card with the falling pound (£) I was out of pocket by 40 Euro. Laptopsdirect.ie said this was not there problem and were quite ignorant about it, I must also admit to been quite annoyed which probably didn’t help. I contacted the credit card company how said they were in violation and to apply in writing to the credit card company stating "Due to the merchant processing the transaction in error I have suffered a finance loss as a direct result of the violation of these regulations”

Ive had a similiar problem, I ordered a laptop back in October it lasted three weeks and stoped working, Laptop direct told me to get onto the manufacturers which I did, they got it collected all well.. When it came to a refund thats were I've had the problem, I had made numerous phone calls to LD, as regards refunding the money, it finally went through on the 30th Dec, I paid 520e for the laptop including delivery and charges. I only got back 407e.. The tell me over the phone its down to the currency change over. I've argued till I was blue in the face that what I paid is what I want returned that the currency changeover is not my problem, I ordered from laptopdirect.ie website, the prices were in Euro and thats what went out of the credit card. (which was my fathers so its a nightmare all round. I have also spent 50e on phonecalls ringing them. I found them very ignorant and not abit helpful. I told them I had been onto consumers here but got no joy from them. It's left me very angry and frustrated...:mad::mad:

speedy1999 wrote: »
    Ive had a similiar problem, I ordered a laptop back in October it lasted three weeks and stoped working, Laptop direct told me to get onto the manufacturers which I did, they got it collected all well.. When it came to a refund thats were I've had the problem, I had made numerous phone calls to LD, as regards refunding the money, it finally went through on the 30th Dec, I paid 520e for the laptop including delivery and charges. I only got back 407e.. The tell me over the phone its down to the currency change over. I've argued till I was blue in the face that what I paid is what I want returned that the currency changeover is not my problem, I ordered from laptopdirect.ie website, the prices were in Euro and thats what went out of the credit card. (which was my fathers so its a nightmare all round. I have also spent 50e on phonecalls ringing them. I found them very ignorant and not abit helpful. I told them I had been onto consumers here but got no joy from them. It's left me very angry and frustrated...:mad::mad:

Exact same here man, I ordered of my dads credit card too. I'm just going to go with what GadgetGeek said and go with the creditcard company to sort it out. A month for them to finally arrange a collection and another month waiting on a refund.

@phill106: be glad you did :D It's been hell going through LD!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Thats disgraceful!! Surely, because you paid in euro, shouldnt you get back exactly the same amount, in euro?? Thats completely unfair. I would have thought that legally they would have the refund you the amount in euro??

They charged me in Sterling and refunded me in Sterling, it was just unlucky that the Sterling got stronger in the few weeks since i purchased it. I'm very dubious that it got so strong that it cost me €100 in difference but theres not much i can do about it i dont think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

phill106 wrote: »
    god bless the internet. was going to buy a laptop off this crowd, but they seem shockingly bad. going to buy off cheaplaptops.ie, ok its like 80 euro more for same laptop, but its irish company, with irish numbers.

Wouldnt recommend buying a refurbished laptop from them. If you do run a hard drive test first to check for failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

I was just about to order a laptop from laptopsdirect.ie, thank god I found this thread first. Gonna avoid them now.

In regards the exchange rate losing you money with the refunds. I don't know if this will help, but maybe someone can expand it further:
    In the European Consumer Charter, it states that a customer "shall not be liable for any costs insurred in the replacement or repair of a defective product, ot or a product that is not fit for the purpose..." see
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/1999/l_171/l_17119990707en00120016.pdf

..................If there has been no resolution however,
    I will contact my credit card company to initiate a chargeback procedure, and will also contact national press and the European Consumer Centre to highlight this disregard of consumer protection laws.

I used this in a letter to another internet company saying i had to pay shipping costs to return a faulty item. Maybe the law there protects the exchange rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I am really torn whether to buy from these guys or not. Looking for a Sony FW21M which is 950 on LD. Went to a few stores over weekend and its 1300 pretty much everywhere. I would be willing to pay a 100 euro premium for the peace of mind buying from a store but 350 is a lot. As it is being replaced with the 31M in 3 weeks time the stores may put it on their clearance list but no gaurantee.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Why not compare Laptopsdirect to the likes of dabs.ie and elara.ie, no point in comparing the prices to bricks and morter shops in Ireland. You'll be ripped off there 99% of the time.
    It really is up to you who you buy from, but read through this thread and know what you're getting yourself into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 speedy1999

Did you have any luck getting anything back from the credit card company... I am thinking of going into the bank and filling in the form to try claim back my money.... I don't know how laptopdirect are getting away with this.... Something needs to be done about this... Irish people should not be taking a loss if something they order goes wrong...:mad:

Advertisement