Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sons Of Anarchy [FX (US) -Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well balls :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

The more I think about it the more I actually hate it, the entire last episode looked and felt like some mid 90s shot on VHS and straight to video action film that thought it was dark and gritty. It looks upon first glance as if there is a lot going on but not a whole lot of note happened in the final episode and whoever thought the car chase with Connor was a good idea should be shot. It was one of the worst staged car chases in years and it was obvious a number of times that none of the actors were involved, there are multiple shots where you can clearly see the stunt men and the sped up nature of the scene was laughable.

At least they didn't use CGI bikers. Some of the worst CGI has been seen over the last few seasons of this show. I shudder when I think of that wheelchair scene. All the poor CGI gunfire, bulletholes and bloodspray. Some of the shootings looked really strange, as the person being shot moves their head back slowly and you see the CGI wound appear on their forehead. It's hard to explain, but it looked very strange. And as I said earlier, Jax looked like a muppet in a windtunnel in that last scene.

But one thing for me that was a constant reminder of how lazy the show had become was the sheer amount of times Jax would convene a meeting with a group of people and then suddenly the Sons would rapidly draw their guns and shoot a load of people in the head. Then Jax would explain to the survivors what they needed to do and it would all tie into one of his tedious multi-layered plans, with a double-cross or two thrown in. Like you are supposed to go wow and be on the edge of your seat every time he pulled out his piece and dropped a load of people, like you didn't see the same ****e coming every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Well balls :(

I know. I wanted to believe as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Funny, my overriding thought when I read the post saying Sutter said there was gonna be a movie shooting in 2015 was simply "Just let it die you son of a bitch!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Just watched s07 e01 and am wondering will I bother continuing, am kind of sick of the same old crap, Jax's family- like he is the only one in the world with a family, BLACK - YELLOW-BROWN-WHITE ( would the irish be GREEN?) a sort of racist roulette, who will win, the lying old lady, Jimmy Smits is somehow still in love with her. I used to like Jax and what he was trying to achieve but now I can't stand him

I stuck with it even after being so put off by the Northern Irish series that I left it for a few years but am finding it hard to think of anything now to see me through to the last episode. Is it worth sticking with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It does not get any better during Season 7.

Have decided to plough on or forever wonder, Jax's strategic thinking is about as effective as the fella that came up with The Maginot Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Have decided to plough on or forever wonder, Jax's strategic thinking is about as effective as the fella that came up with The Maginot Line.

Be prepared for hours of boring, preposterous, pretentious ****e with a contrived and emotion laden end where you hope everyone dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Mulbert wrote: »
    Be prepared for hours of boring, preposterous, pretentious ****e with a contrived and emotion laden end where you hope everyone dies.

But one hell of an ending. And the last few episodes were decent IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The end was ****e tbh, the last episode was one big pile of ****e, but the two episodes before hand were good iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It depends on your expectations. If you go in looking for Breaking Bad level quality, you'll be let down. If you go in looking for something entertaining, you'll probably be happy enough with it.

Finished s07 last night and overall I was glad that I did.

There were so many holes in the plot that I could have strained spuds through it. Things became so far fetched and convoluted at one stage it was better to not even try and follow, just stick it out.

I did think there was going to be a crossover with The Shield at one stage, with 3 of it's main actors appearing in s07, although how Vic Mackey would have received Shane in a dress I shudder to think. Also good to see Keeeee-h, late of Carrigstown parish making a reappearance, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Popped in here out of curiousity. Have watched up to and including season 4. Season 1 and 2 are pretty good, 3 is god awful and thought 4 was brilliant. Just seing everyone complaining about the quality of season 7 has me wondering is it worth persisting with? Dont want to continue with a show if it has a huge drop in quality like dexter after season 4

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

deisedude wrote: »
    Popped in here out of curiousity. Have watched up to and including season 4. Season 1 and 2 are pretty good, 3 is god awful and thought 4 was brilliant. Just seing everyone complaining about the quality of season 7 has me wondering is it worth persisting with? Dont want to continue with a show if it has a huge drop in quality like dexter after season 4

Having been a massive massive fan of Dexter I was sickened with myself for watching beyond season 4. It was a a perfect ending. The last three seasons ruined it tbh. If you're at a happy place in SOA just leave it at that because it becomes a chore to watch. I was at the point in this season where the plot was just so far fetched and plot holed I didn't even bother to follow it, the show ended horribly and I was just glad it was over in the end. There are some good bits in the last few seasons but the bad outweighs the good tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

deisedude wrote: »

As soon as they went to Ireland, that was show over for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Even if S3 wasnt great, the finale was my favourite episode of the whole show.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

mzungu wrote: »
    As soon as they went to Ireland, that was show over for me!

I think I'm the only one who didn't mind the Irish series. It was still in the early days when the story line made sense though so maybe that was it. The longer it went on the lazier the writing got.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think I'm the only one who didn't mind the Irish series. It was still in the early days when the story line made sense though so maybe that was it. The longer it went on the lazier the writing got.

I think it's a case of the story getting more complex, the writing getting up to the standard of the story, writing in/out characters and possibly too much episode run times.

There are a few things which I grew to dislike about the show over the 7 seasons, mainly Jax's bare as$, but the good far outweighs the bad. If you've gone in 4 or 5 seasons, I would tell you to rip through the rest of it.
    It's always more painful waiting a week (or two) for a new episode keeping up with US airings as opposed to watching a few eps on the bounce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

So glad to be finished this show. It's not that it's bad but it had the potential to be so much better if it wasn't on a sh!t network like FX. I'd love to see HBO or showtime do a show about a biker gang and school this one. If the network didn't force the extra season, which was the reason for all the filler in season 6, it would have had a much stronger final season since everything from season 6 & 7 should have been in the one. Some of the CGI this season was like something you'd expect to see on the SyFy channel or some student films and it really took me out of the experience.

Aside from comedies like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I'm never watching an FX show about anything to do with crime or violence again, including The Shield, because they just can't do them right when they're not even able include curse words. And the sex scenes, Jesus Christ, they ALWAYS show the guys asses yet can't show a pair of tits, what the fuk is the point of even including them. At least they finally introduced the word "n*gger" to get the racism across.

Synopsis of this show should be: a biker gang that doesn't use the words 'fuk' or 'kunt'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Got a few recommendations to watch this and eventually have finished it just there. Very disappointing imo. High points include seasons 4,5 and 6 for myself up until Donal Logues character is killed off early on in the 6th. The rest of it is a total mess with terrible writing. Gemma Teller is the worst character I have genuinely ever watched for an extended period. Finale of season 3 is a masterpiece however, one of my favourite episodes of tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im just on series 3 at the moment , episode 11 . Overall good fun , the gun running premise is weak , smuggling guns from Ireland to the US has to be the dumbest premise in tv history. if the suppliers were Russian or something it might have been a bit more believable. The mother is a hoot but find the doctor character Tara annoying and not believable.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I have binge watched SOA on Netflix to Series6......where can I watch Series7 - I loved it - despite its MANY flaws

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

1966 wrote: »
    I have binge watched SOA on Netflix to Series6......where can I watch Series7 - I loved it - despite its MANY flaws

Season 7 is now on Netflix. Just in case you didn't know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Season 7 is now on Netflix. Just in case you didn't know :)

Yeah thanks for that I caught it after on couch tuner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I just finished it after pretty much binge watching it the last few weeks. Now I only read back two or three pages but wasn't expecting to read mostly criticism.

I loved it yes it's not on a par with Sopranos, The Wire or Breaking Bad but apart from sone terrible cgi I really enjoyed it from beginning to end even found some the scenes in season 3 although ridiculous worthy of a giggle.

Maybe I'm easy to please butry nothing else about it really grated on me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I just finished it after pretty much binge watching it the last few weeks. Now I only read back two or three pages but wasn't expecting to read mostly criticism.

I loved it yes it's not on a par with Sopranos, The Wire or Breaking Bad but apart from sone terrible cgi I really enjoyed it from beginning to end even found some the scenes in season 3 although ridiculous worthy of a giggle.

Maybe I'm easy to please butry nothing else about it really grated on me.

I think SoA is a great example of a binge show, if you sit down over a few weeks and watch it from start to finish it's brilliant, even sitting down to watch 3 episodes a night will make it great, the problem is that near the end there was an awful lot of filler and when you were watching it weekly nothing seemed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Clareman wrote: »
    I think SoA is a great example of a binge show, if you sit down over a few weeks and watch it from start to finish it's brilliant, even sitting down to watch 3 episodes a night will make it great, the problem is that near the end there was an awful lot of filler and when you were watching it weekly nothing seemed to happen.

Yeah it becomes a lot more obvious that instead of progressing the story from A to B, they go from A to A.5 to A.7 to A.3 to Gemma threatening the nearest female character to A.8 to B. They take the longest possible route to progress the story, especially by increasing episode times in the later seasons.

Depp wrote: »
    Love the show, but has anyone else noticed a lot of lads buying bikes and going around playing m.c. lately? its like they're the new boy racer car where im from!

We were coming back from a wedding in Cavan one Sunday morning a few weeks back and some mc guys were slowing down and speeding up playing games, felt like ploughing the lot of them out of it dangerous feckers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I have started watching this on Netflix. I'm four episodes in and I'm not "hooked" yet - I just can't figure out if I like it or not.

Normally I'd just continue to watch and eventually I'd know if I was into it but in order to ensure I'd get to see all seven seasons (I have no idea how long it will be on Netflix) I'd have to binge watch it - I know some people watch a season in a day or a week but for me a "binge" an episode a day or three/four a week. And I'm just not a binger - I just feel like it makes watching something a chore even if it is a TV show I love. So that is affecting my decision to continue watching even more than whether I like the show.

And there have been a few times where I've been watching a show that is available as a complete series on Netflix only for them to lose the rights before I finish it.

Not sure why I'm posting this - maybe just "saying it out loud" will help me figure it out. :)

It is nice and relaxing that the "dilemma if life choices " I'm currently facing is whether to watch a TV show or not. :P

Advertisement