Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sons Of Anarchy [FX (US) -Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The Sopranos had a pretty perfect ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

kryogen wrote: »
    The Sopranos had a pretty perfect ending.

I was about to say the same thing. If you read all the clues it was the perfect ending. Bobby even asked Tony when out fishing what he thought dying would be like and Tony's answer was that he thought it would just cut to black

I'm happy with the SOA ending now I've read all the info I didn't cop myself. It's pretty ironic that he got taken down by Vic Mackey

If there is one thing about Vic Mackey, its that he gets the job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

The last scene looked bad, a pan away would have been more effective. At the end, as he is crashing, it looks like a muppet in a windtunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm happy with how it ended up.

Jax realising he was a bad guy.
    Destroys his notebooks and manuscripts to stop his kids trying to do what he tried to do.
    Went on an execution rampage. The Marx setup was impressive.
    Took care of his club and family.
    Went out the same way his father did, on the same bike and in the same boots.

Alot of what we have seen in the last few episodes was people accepting their fates, exactly what Jax has done, but he managed to clean up the mess that he started since the start of his rise to being president.
    The club is in good shape no to survive, and is out of the gun trade.

I was wondering when we were going to see the 'angel' again, i think that was quite the good constant throughout the entire series.
    It looks like a few people have forgotten, she is the mother of rats girlfriend, she was killed in the accident that killed JT. Jax helped her husband get a job as well.

I probably need to digest this more, but overall, I thought it was a great show with a great ending....which is actually an ending with no loose ends or questions.

Exactly. It's no wire or sopranos, but it's entertaining tv. I'm quite happy with how it ended. More cheese than a French supermarket but still class. A tear or two shed an all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

ShaneU wrote: »
    I didn't even recognise Marilyn Manson, knew he looked familiar for some reason! I really liked the ending, just glad it didn't pull a Sopranos.

I bet Juice recognised him;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Risteard wrote: »
    Exactly. It's no wire or sopranos, but it's entertaining tv. I'm quite happy with how it ended. More cheese than a French supermarket but still class. A tear or two shed an all.

Have to admit, I got a bit emotional at times watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Have to admit, I got a bit emotional at times watching it.

I get like that with shows ending and characters leaving. But with SOA, by the end, I was just beyond the point of caring. Bobby, Unser or the finale had no effect on me other that a sense of relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Just finished it there, thought the last 3 episodes were great, well e11 and e12 anyway.

Before that the season was pretty terrible but I did enjoy the wrap up from e10 on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

nm wrote: »
    Just finished it there, thought the last 3 episodes were great, well e11 and e12 anyway.

Before that the season was pretty terrible but I did enjoy the wrap up from e10 on.

Thinking back of the Sons, I think it was 1 season too long, they could have gotten rid of an awful lot of filler episodes, I also don't think a lot of the episodes needed to go to nearly 2 hours long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Clareman wrote: »
    Thinking back of the Sons, I think it was 1 season too long, they could have gotten rid of an awful lot of filler episodes, I also don't think a lot of the episodes needed to go to nearly 2 hours long.

Yes, the entire 7th season was just one big long wait until Jax found out about Gemma. At least 5 episodes in there before that of the same ole same ole gore, waiting waiting.

They should have done a 5 episode second part to season 6, like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad did. That would have fit perfectly and cut out all the crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well thank God that crock of horse sh*t is over.

Although I really enjoyed the first two seasons, the last episode of S03 and some of S4 after that it just went to crap.

I think the only half decent thing to come out of that show was the music ~ and getting a laugh at some saps wearing SOA hoodies & tee's on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

All the Gemma overkill is what turned me off the show, it was basically the Katy Sagal show due to more than likely nepotism from Kurt Sutter.

I also think Sutter is a weak writer which we can see from the endless filler episodes and his inability to kill off characters at the right time. Realistically Clay should've died at the end of season 4 or at the latest season 5. It meant nothing when he eventually died in season 6.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

redbuck wrote: »
    All the Gemma overkill is what turned me off the show, it was basically the Katy Sagal show due to more than likely nepotism from Kurt Sutter.

I also think Sutter is a weak writer which we can see from the endless filler episodes and his inability to kill off characters at the right time. Realistically Clay should've died at the end of season 4 or at the latest season 5. It meant nothing when he eventually died in season 6.

Clay should have been killed at the end of season 4 to give a season of a power vacuum, he should have been killed while in power so that there'd be a bit of club politics. I think the whole visit to Ireland was a waste of time as well. I think as with a lot of other shows, the writers knew how they wanted to start, middle and end the show but as more seasons were added they were struggling to add substance.

Act 1 should have been Clay showing Jax how to be king, the finish of Act 1 being Jax realizing he needed to get rid of him.
    Act 2 should have been Jax setting up dethroning Clay and taking the throne.
    Act 3 should have been Jax struggling with the throne (because of Gemma) and then killing his mother at the end, the epilogue then was his riding off to the sunset/Papa's Goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

A so-so ending really. I guess the symbolism was there since the get go but the elaborate 7 crows piece at the end was a bit much. Everything wrapped up very nicely in the end. In truth I don't care enough about the club really but at least they're going on. I'd have tought CCH Pounder's character had probable cause to arrest Jax n suspicion of murder? I'm sure there was enough conroversy around Gemma to hold him until at least she was found. They'd certaily have a case once the bodies were discovered.

I can't help but think that Able is going to end up finding the club eventually anyway and that history will just repeat itself in some ****ed up way.

Just like his mother, Jax is another selfish prick. Just like Gemma failing to kill herself and getting Jax to do it, Jax, for his part, could have smashed into a roadside cliff or a ravine but instead had a poor innocent truck driver do the job for him. That man's life could be seriously impacted by an event like that. Total prick and a complete dick move IMHO.

The chase was a bit farcical. I'm not really sure why those police bikes were there. I'd have expected at least one or two of them to get along side Jax and try and talk to him. Instead they just followed him for no reason. Heck, the cars could have boxed him in and dictated his speed bringing him to a controlled stop, or he'd have ploughed into the back of one of them, no great loss either way.

The song at the end was fantastic. Best part of the episode IMHO.

I'm kind of glad the show is done now. It's had some great moments but was really past it's prime of late. Normally I'm sad seeing a show end after 7 seasons where it's been around long enough to become an institution. In this case I just shrugged and got on with life.

squonk wrote: »
    The chase was a bit farcical. I'm not really sure why those police bikes were there. I'd have expected at least one or two of them to get along side Jax and try and talk to him. Instead they just followed him for no reason. Heck, the cars could have boxed him in and dictated his speed bringing him to a controlled stop, or he'd have ploughed into the back of one of them, no great loss either way.

He was able to smoke a cigarette while riding the bike at the start of the chase ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

It was by far the worst season imo, even worse than the trip to Oirland season.

An exciting couple of episodes towards the end(last episode was a complete bore) but really a pointless and ludicrous season, even for this show.

Still Ill have some fond memories of the show overall. Some great memorable characters, i felt the violence became too casual in the latter seasons and it was hard to empathize with any of the characters, whereas earlier you could sort of understand their motives and still care what happened to them.

Some really lazy writing towards the end, its such a shame it was such a **** season, probably the worst of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 whatsupebola

Where can i watch 6th and 7th seasons?

Mod Note:

It's against the charter to ask where you can download/stream TV shows or give any links to them. Post legal viewing options only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

squonk wrote: »
    Just like his mother, Jax is another selfish prick. Just like Gemma failing to kill herself and getting Jax to do it, Jax, for his part, could have smashed into a roadside cliff or a ravine but instead had a poor innocent truck driver do the job for him. That man's life could be seriously impacted by an event like that. Total prick and a complete dick move IMHO.

Thing is he knew he was a dickhead so that way to end his life was more likely than driving into a cliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

He was able to smoke a cigarette while riding the bike at the start of the chase ffs

Thats easy

• Advertisement

Looking at the amount of episodes (92) and the amount of them that ran a lot longer than 40 minutes I think pacing was the main downfall of the show. There was an awful lot of filler, even this season had 10 episodes waiting for the reveal that Gemma killed Tara. The filler could have been used to expand on other characters rather than just concentrate on Jax, the only other character that we saw much of their personal life was Opie which was probably why his death was such an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Looking at the amount of episodes (92) and the amount of them that ran a lot longer than 40 minutes I think pacing was the main downfall of the show. There was an awful lot of filler, even this season had 10 episodes waiting for the reveal that Gemma killed Tara. The filler could have been used to expand on other characters rather than just concentrate on Jax, the only other character that we saw much of their personal life was Opie which was probably why his death was such an impact.

That's a good point.
    I would have liked to have seen what Tig or Chibs got up to in their own time - before Venus and the cop.

sebcity wrote: »
    That's a good point.
    I would have liked to have seen what Tig or Chibs got up to in their own time - before Venus and the cop.

Aye, or more about the new characters, Rat and the other guy (can't think of his name) just appeared at the table, at least the Prospect (half sack) a few years ago got a bit of a back story being a golden gloves winner in the army and a girlfriend who had to "have relations with" Clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Aye, or more about the new characters, Rat and the other guy (can't think of his name) just appeared at the table, at least the Prospect (half sack) a few years ago got a bit of a back story being a golden gloves winner in the army and a girlfriend who had to "have relations with" Clay.

Yeah, the fact that Rat got to be main cast and Nero was a guest star for the final season was a travesty. Jimmy Smits out-acted pretty much everyone he appeared on-screen with, was longer in the show and was more important to the plot. Rat got half a story in one episode and got his name in the opening credits.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, the fact that Rat got to be main cast and Nero was a guest star for the final season was a travesty. Jimmy Smits out-acted pretty much everyone he appeared on-screen with, was longer in the show and was more important to the plot. Rat got half a story in one episode and got his name in the opening credits.

Oddly I've just been talking to a guy here in work about SOA as he's just finished it up, and the subject of characters was brought up.

There were a couple of characters that were killed off because the actors had other commitments.
    Half Sack I would have thought would have had a bigger role in the show if he hadn't commited to another show.
    Kozik was killed off because he had another show he was commited to.
    Filthy Phil I'm guessing was gunned down for shock value.

Sutter has even said that he regrets killing off people, I think in the case of Kosik, he's show he left for was axed so he would have been available.
    Half-Sack could have worked out more complicated.

But if the likes of them were around, we would have seen Rat as more of a prospect, or even as a hang around.

Penn wrote: »

I thought the whole "Guest Starring" or "Recurring Role" was to allow that person get a different pay scale to everyone else. A lot of shows will have set money for cast members and everyone will be pretty much equal or on a level, Guest Stars can be above that without having everyone complaining. The actors union is extremely strong in the States.

Jimmy Smits was probably the best thing about the show in the last season, and at that he was only a guest star (I mean this in the sense that he had no really good story to sink his teeth into). Cracking actor

Sutter has even said that he regrets killing off people, I think in the case of Kosik, he's show he left for was axed so he would have been available.

I think the way they dealt with the "removing" of the police was very poorly managed, Hale gets caught up in a drive by and Eli is shot in the back, surely they could have had better ways of getting rid of the characters.

kryogen wrote: »
    Jimmy Smits was probably the best thing about the show in the last season, and at that he was only a guest star (I mean this in the sense that he had no really good story to sink his teeth into). Cracking actor

J@ysus, the guy is a former gang leader who is trying to go legit while running brothels and keeping corrupt cops happy, throw in a new relationship with a psycho woman (with family issues) and a sick child and you have 1 of the best characters going.

• Advertisement

I think the way they dealt with the "removing" of the police was very poorly managed, Hale gets caught up in a drive by and Eli is shot in the back, surely they could have had better ways of getting rid of the characters.

Hale was pretty much shock value TV, I thought it was very well done and completely unexpected.
    Eli went out in one of the most pivotal scenes in the show, he was always going to be the lesser of the 'kills' in that scene.

Advertisement