Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

@Dr. Nick
    Tell everyone in your area how bad it is so that more customers aren't added and your speed dragged down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Hi Team DOVADO,
    First, let me thank you for your support in this forum - finding this forum and reading your reponses here was a big deciding factor in my purchase of the UMR!

I am still using the 2.1.1 firmware, but have the following issue:

I have a linux machine connected to UMR via the lan, and a windows laptop connected wirelessly, and an iPhone connected wirelessly.
    Everything works perfectly for general internet access, etc.

However, when I try to access a local webserver running on the linux machine, this does work from the windows laptop, but not from the iphone.
    If I enter the ip of the linux machine into the iphone it does connect then.

So it appears to be some sort of local lan DNS issue, or something. Whenever the iPhone tries to do an dns lookup for the linux machine name, it fails (I downloaded a network app for the iphone to test this).

I would appreciate it if you could offer any workaround - is the best bet trying to give the linux machine a static IP? (Is this done from the Lan->Hosts tab?) What is the difference between the Lan->Hosts tab and the Lan->DHCP->Static tab - to me they look to be some way of fixing an IP to a hostname?

Sorry for the long winded question - Any advice at all would be great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gonzo.d

Hej forum members,

I'm not really located in Ireland but I think this is the best place to ask my umr-questions.

Overall I like the umr but I experienced some wlan dropouts recently, it usually works fine but sometimes the wlan is just off and may be recovering by itself. May be this is the reason why i could buy it secondhand.
    fw is 3.0
    wlan is wpa-psk secured
    client is intel wlan running with ipw2200 driver under ubuntu.
    Distance doesn't matter since it is standing right beside me, yesternight I had to use it because my fixed line was down.
    Also I could experience that login and further pages failed using ff3.0.

Will there be improvements in an future fw?

best regards Holger

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tommiejoie

Hi guys. I've been having serious issues with my UMR/3G lately, I wonder if someone could help me out.

I've has my 3G Mob-BB from 3Ireland for a few months now with no major problems. Also have the UMR for a couple of months. All was working great until recently.

The problem I'm having is that every other day the 3G seems to drop its connection and is unable to reconnect. I'm certain the coverage for it is more than enough. More worrying (read annoying) is the fact that nothing I do cures this issue. I've tried disconnect and reconnect via the UMR, also restarting the UMR, I even tried the old reliable 'plug it out and plug it back in again' routine for both the USB modem and the UMR mains power. All to no avail. It seems that the only way to get the 3G to reconnect is to remove it from the UMR, attach to my laptop, connect, and then when I return it to the UMR it works again, for another couple of days at least.

As you can imagine, this is quite frustrating. Is there anything I can do to figure out whats going on here? Just to note, I use the Wi-Fi connection, the firmware is 3.0 and I also have a NAS connected to the UMR.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

tails_naf wrote: »
    Hi Team DOVADO,
    First, let me thank you for your support in this forum - finding this forum and reading your reponses here was a big deciding factor in my purchase of the UMR!

Apologies on the delayed reply! We've been rather busy with a coming firmware.
    I would appreciate it if you could offer any workaround - is the best bet trying to give the linux machine a static IP? (Is this done from the Lan->Hosts tab?)

I would use the LAN->DHCP for this as it provides a specific machine/MAC address a static IP on the LAN upon boot.
    What is the difference between the Lan->Hosts tab and the Lan->DHCP->Static tab - to me they look to be some way of fixing an IP to a hostname?

For LAN->Hosts, this is a process in reverse. Instead of assigning a specific machine the same IP address, here you are assigning a specific name to a static IP address. So for instance, if you already have a computer on your LAN with a static IP address (or better yet, your iPhone for instance), then you can just call it "iphone" and it'll always be pingable/reachable as "iphone". Makes sense?
    [/quote]

• Advertisement

gonzo.d wrote: »
    Overall I like the umr

THANKS HOLGER! :D
    [/quote]

gonzo.d wrote: »
    but I experienced some wlan dropouts recently, it usually works fine but sometimes the wlan is just off and may be recovering by itself.

Question! Have you checked...

- Using latest Intel WLAN firmware in your PC?
    - Verified with another computer?
    - Checked your area for radio interference on same WLAN channel?
    - Tested using an Ethernet cable so we know for sure that it's WLAN-related ONLY and not 3G-related?

tommiejoie wrote: »
    The problem I'm having is that every other day the 3G seems to drop its connection and is unable to reconnect. I'm certain the coverage for it is more than enough. More worrying (read annoying) is the fact that nothing I do cures this issue. I've tried disconnect and reconnect via the UMR, also restarting the UMR, I even tried the old reliable 'plug it out and plug it back in again' routine for both the USB modem and the UMR mains power. All to no avail.

Ok, have you tried employing use of the Connection Tracker? We have a full step-by-step guide for that on http://www.dovado.com/hspa

I would use the "Redial & Restart" option after inserting 2-3 publicly pingable IP addresses. If you need addresses, try pinging some big, sturdy names out there (which I am not going to disclose here!).

PS: Which USB modem and operator are you using?

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gonzo.d

Hy,

thanks for the quick response!

Answer in the quote so far ...
    DOVADO wrote: »
    Question! Have you checked...

- Using latest Intel WLAN firmware in your PC?
    2 pcs one MS XP, one ubuntu intrepid here I think is the latest fw active
    - Verified with another computer?
    Yes the two above
    - Checked your area for radio interference on same WLAN channel?
    no, will check next week
    - Tested using an Ethernet cable so we know for sure that it's WLAN-related ONLY and not 3G-related?
    Tested a lot of different things that night not only the umr, I think so but I will doublecheck also next week.

btw does anybody know a linux tool to log wlan connectivity? I would prefer something alike cause I think its a little bit boring to watch the meter.

Hope to make a field test in a remote area with poor connectivity on the weekend ... Will report!

cheerio h

Howdy folks!

Just want to inform you that things are looking very good right now in terms of rolling out a new firmware update soon. This firmware will not include any new ground-breaking features as you have seen in 3.0, but will have over a dozen new USB modems (3G/HSPA and CDMA), including the long-awaited Sierra 888 which you are running on the O2 network in Ireland.

We need the weekend to finalize all our stability tests, and hopefully get everything wrapped up ASAP. I shall notify if there are any further delays or hiccups. As always, in case you haven't done so already, please sign up on http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmare

Cheers to all,

Team DOVADO

• Registered Users Posts: 24 heinz57g

>> new firmware ... will have over a dozen new USB modems (3G/HSPA and CDMA)

see my post #289, hope you will include the ZTE MF626, as this is now becoming more and
    more popular with many providers.

>> please sign up on http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmare

pls check, must be some hiccup here - the links leads to ULR NOT FOUND only.

and, also from my post #289, a gentle reminder: '' ... also brings up a question on this and
    many similar units -> how to access the extra SDmicro slot thru the UMR - anybody worked
    out a trick yet? it would raise the usability of the UMR by 100 points in my book ... ''

greetings - heinz -

• Advertisement

Hi,

Yes, ZTE MF626 is on the list as well. It works. Held all weekend! :)

SD Micro is not supported, sorry to say.

Thanks

>> SD Micro is not supported, sorry to say

sure know it is not, unfortunately. just thought somebody here might know a trick or
    workaround - or if it might be on your 'to-do' list, in the back of your mind. most of
    the new sticks have those memory slots, and they would come in more than useful.

greetings to sweden (winter is over?) - heinz

Hi Heinz,

I'll put it on our "to-investigate" list rather than the "to-do" list for now. :)

Cheers from sunny Sweden

and just tell your 'to-investigate'-people to think what they could do with all those extra
    gigabytes. not only to run plain progs from, and to store data, but also do UMR-specific
    things: SMS storage, backups of firmware and entire setups, remote control progs and
    scripts, TellStick applications, and and and ...

greetings - heinz -

heinz57g wrote: »
    things: SMS storage, backups of firmware and entire setups, remote control progs and
    scripts, TellStick applications, and and and ...

WHOOP! There goes summer holidays! :D

but why? there is no need to wait for summer!

greetings - heinz -

Hello all,

New firmware now available on http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware

The Sierra Wireless Compass 888 modem is listed, along with ZTE models.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭itisyeah

Hi Dovado,

I got my UMR today and just updated the firmware to 3.0.3.
    I am very impressed so far as I have it placed near my bedroom window and the signal is much stronger in my sitting room over the wireless connection than if I had the modem directly connected to my laptop down there.

Quick question on the Connection Tracker, just out of interest is it possible to reduce the MTU packet size in the ping? I know you can do it on Cisco devices, just wondering can it be set on the Router or is it only on the host side (I am running XPSP3)?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tommiejoie

itisyeah wrote: »
    Hi Dovado,

I got my UMR today and just updated the firmware to 3.0.3.
    I am very impressed so far as I have it placed near my bedroom window and the signal is much stronger in my sitting room over the wireless connection than if I had the modem directly connected to my laptop down there.

Quick question on the Connection Tracker, just out of interest is it possible to reduce the MTU packet size in the ping? I know you can do it on Cisco devices, just wondering can it be set on the Router or is it only on the host side (I am running XPSP3)?

Thanks

I actually just set this up yesterday on my UMR. From what I think youre asking, what you could do is increase the time interval between each ping (the default is 1 minute), and that way you reduce the time and capacity used by the connection tracker.

Hope this helps, even though I dont really know what I'm talking about!

Thanks

Not sure if this will help, but MTU can be adjusted in the SYSTEM->NETWORK SETTINGS page. I hope that helps....unless I'm misunderstanding you, that is.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this will help, but MTU can be adjusted in the SYSTEM->NETWORK SETTINGS page. I hope that helps....unless I'm misunderstanding you, that is.

Thanks tommiejoie and Dovado.
    I went with Tommies suggestion as I wasnt too sure of the impact of changing the MTU packet size on my machine.

1 final question, there does not appear to be any log files on the Router, IE with Linksys and Netopia etc you get a complete history of clients MAC address who connected or attempted connection in the log file all with timestamps, which is quite useful for security to ensure noone has cracked your WEP key. Are there any plans to introduce logging on the Dovado?

there does not appear to be any log files on the Router, IE with Linksys and Netopia etc you get a complete history of clients MAC address who connected or attempted connection in the log file all with timestamps, which is quite useful for security to ensure noone has cracked your WEP key. Are there any plans to introduce logging on the Dovado?

Hi, you can view who's using your internet connection by going to the LAN->HOSTS page and click on Show Hosts.

Thanks

Hi, you can view who's using your internet connection by going to the LAN->HOSTS page and click on Show Hosts.

Thanks

Yeah I saw that option, but is this information put in a timestamped log file anywhere or is there a plan to do this, I believe this would be a useful feature?

Otherwise you need to keep pressing that button over and over :)

Yeah I saw that option, but is this information put in a timestamped log file anywhere or is there a plan to do this, I believe this would be a useful feature?

Otherwise you need to keep pressing that button over and over :)

Understood. My team tells me that it'd suck out a lot of internal resources to be updating that info all the time as it is yet another background process that's constantly in motion, and not something that only works whenever you look it up.

>> it'd suck out a lot of internal resources to be updating that info all the time

sorry if i doubt this. such a function would be useful even if set to log only every
    15 minutes or so. and that should take much. someone who just test-logs in for
    a few seconds is of little importance - but the neighbor who stays on for hours is.

greetings - heinz -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi Dovado

Am having problems with Windows Vista as it keeps dropping the wireless and leaves me hanging.

I know its a Windows problem, but is there anything I can do from a router side of things

Cheers

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Szondi wrote: »
    Hi Dovado

Am having problems with Windows Vista as it keeps dropping the wireless and leaves me hanging.

I know its a Windows problem, but is there anything I can do from a router side of things

Cheers

Seems like you have power-saving enabled on the WLAN interface in your computer. Try switching that feature off and see if it helps. Also wouldn't hurt to check whether or not you have the latest WLAN driver. Which firmware are you running in your UMR?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

I've updated to version 3.03 software

I want to set up connection tracker. I have entered www.google.com and www.yahoo.com to ping. I'm getting the message

ERROR: IP1 is not a valid IP address
    ERROR: IP 2 is not a valid IP address

nazoil wrote: »
    I've updated to version 3.03 software

I want to set up connection tracker. I have entered www.google.com and www.yahoo.com to ping. I'm getting the message

ERROR: IP1 is not a valid IP address
    ERROR: IP 2 is not a valid IP address

You have to type them in as IP addresses, not as DNS names. You know how to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

You have to type them in as IP addresses, not as DNS names. You know how to do this?

no

Advertisement