Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

fredagain wrote: »
    Has there been any progress with this problem?

I've spent the best part of a day resetting the UMR (hard and soft), plugging in and out the modem, swapping cables, applying the latest firmware etc to no avail. The status on the UMR continually said modem DISCONNECTED and nothing would make it change. The modem light on the modem itself goes through the cycle (green to blue ) indicating that it is connected but the UMR would not recognise its status (the usb light on the UMR would not come on).

This is not the first time that the UMR has acted this way but previously everything "fixed itself" after a couple of power cycles.

Now everything okay again (I've no idea why); 33rd time lucky.

The issue seems to be that the UMR is not receiving (doesn't poll for) the modem status.

Have you tried loading on 3.0 firmware and firing up the Connection Tracker, with Redial & Restart as your Failure Handling?

You can read more about that here: http://www.dovado.com/hspa

There are a lot of happy UMR owners who have the same modem and operator as yours. I even met one during the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona who said his device was running out in a remote field somewhere in Ireland for ages, without any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fredagain

DOVADO wrote: »
    Have you tried loading on 3.0 firmware and firing up the Connection Tracker, with Redial & Restart as your Failure Handling?

You can read more about that here: http://www.dovado.com/hspa

There are a lot of happy UMR owners who have the same modem and operator as yours. I even met one during the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona who said his device was running out in a remote field somewhere in Ireland for ages, without any issues.

Yes, I've updated to version 3, connection tracker is active and I tried both redial only and redial & restart.

I don't doubt there are many happy users. I attached Hazbot's post as it seemed to be the same, very specific, problem as mine. Namely that the modem setting on the UMR remains at disconnected status even though the modem itself is signalling a connection. This problem was also mentioned by ned78 I believe.

The issue seems to be connected with powering back on again. There is no way of polling for the modem. The update button just seems to refresh the status. Maybe something to reinitialise the UMR's modem listening module so that it can be forced to relook at the modem could be used?

Connection tracker is very usefull for maintaining connection. My issue is with what happens when connection is lost. It may also be an issue when connection drops whilst power stays on but as I said my issue is with activities after switching the power back on.

Thanks for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ichua

Hi,

Can the DOVADO work with the AT&T USBConnect Mercury modem?
    See its specificatins here:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=AT%26T+USBConnect+Mercury&q_sku=sku2940237

ichua wrote: »
    Hi,

Can the DOVADO work with the AT&T USBConnect Mercury modem?
    See its specificatins here:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=AT%26T+USBConnect+Mercury&q_sku=sku2940237

Hi,

This is a Sierra Wireless modem. We'll be adding in support for these as we approach the summer. Got a lot of other things on the plate right now.

Thanks

Btw folks, for those of you who are still applying for 3.0 beta testing; there's no need to do so anymore.

The 3.0 firmware is available for download from http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Commsoft

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Good offer. But isn't available cheaper from elsewhere? Or is that €109 a delivered price or not?

Hi Dr Nick

I think you'll find that's their price before VAT and delivery.

Gerry
    Commsoft Ltd
    (you can now follow Gerry on Twitter)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Commsoft wrote: »
    Hi Dr Nick

I think you'll find that's their price before VAT and delivery.

Gerry
    Commsoft Ltd
    (you can now follow Gerry on Twitter)

Well their store is offline now anyway so i'm going to buy one from you and take my chances for Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tommiejoie

Bought one of these UMR's from Commsoft and I must say I'm surprised at what a good piece of kit this is. No problem to set up with more than enough wireless range for me in my, admittedly small-ish, house. Also connected up my NAS which works great too.

If you haven't got a Dovado yet, order one today. You wont regret it.

Hello all,

Introducing Telldus Technologies, the guys who came up with the TellStick.

They'll be following this thread and helping you out with any questions you may have on the TellStick and its compatible wireless receivers.

Cheers and have a nice weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Telldus

Hi all!

TellStick is supported in the 3.0 version of Dovado's UMR enabling remote home automation. We will gladly assist you if you have any questions about our product.

Thanks!

The Telldus-team

• Advertisement

tommiejoie wrote: »
    Bought one of these UMR's from Commsoft and I must say I'm surprised at what a good piece of kit this is. No problem to set up with more than enough wireless range for me in my, admittedly small-ish, house. Also connected up my NAS which works great too.

If you haven't got a Dovado yet, order one today. You wont regret it.

Hi Tommiejoie

Thanks for posting your positive feedback here (and so quickly too - I only handed you the UMR at 2pm yesterday).

If any other Commsoft customers feel the urge to give feedback on your experience with us and the Dovado UMR, you can do so at http://3G-router.ie/feedback

Regards

Gerry Mulvenna
    Commsoft Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Some of the posts in this thread are borderline spam, and some are pure spam. I'd like to keep that out. Support is fine, but advertising is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Got my Dovado today (speedy delivery, thanks), working well so far. Havn't worked out everthing yet, but I'm surfin in the kitchen for the first time.......

One question - where can I see my connection speed as I did when I had the o2 modem directly connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If anywhere it will be in the Dovado management web page. However 3G connection speed statistics are very inaccurate and misleading. Speed can go from 50kbps to 5000kbps and back to 700kbps during a web page load.

I use a router and no matter if 3G @ 700kbps or Metro Digiweb fixed Wireless @ 7800kbps, the connections on PCs are 54Mbps, 108Mbps (wifi), 10Mbps, 100Mbps, 1000Mbps (various ethernet things/PCs via ethernet). Once you are using a router you only see the LAN speed on the computer (Local Network).

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

DOVADO wrote: »
    Hi,

You're most certainly welcome.

The APN is the mobile operator's Access Point Name (the main router on their side which your USB modem connects to). You'll find it on the MODEM->MODEM SETTINGS page, where you may have inserted it.

From what we know, Vodafone has two.

"internet" and "hs.vodafone.ie", though I believe the latter one is only for corporate users. Not sure.

If anyone out there has a similar problem on a similar connection, then it's most likely that Vodafone's blocking off the access attempt by the NTP client in your DOVADO UMR.

Has there been any solution found to the NTP not working on vodafone??

I am using the hs.vodafone.ie apn and it is not working.

I am on vodafone on my mobile aswell and that updates the clock on the phone quite easily each time i turn on the phone......

The phone uses a different method.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

fredagain wrote: »
    Yes, I've updated to version 3, connection tracker is active and I tried both redial only and redial & restart.

I don't doubt there are many happy users. I attached Hazbot's post as it seemed to be the same, very specific, problem as mine. Namely that the modem setting on the UMR remains at disconnected status even though the modem itself is signalling a connection. This problem was also mentioned by ned78 I believe.

Just to update on this, I'm still having the same issue described by others. I woke up this morning to yet another day of having the modem flashing trying to get a connection. I gave it 30 minutes, no luck, and cycled the power to the unit, and within 10 seconds it had a connection again. This is frustrating, and despite sending logs to Dovado support, I've yet to get an answer on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭jaybe1

How about doing a group buy ? Not sure how we'd work it but surely Dovado would give us wholesale rates if we buy 15 or more units between us.

jaybe1 wrote: »
    How about doing a group buy ? Not sure how we'd work it but surely Dovado would give us wholesale rates if we buy 15 or more units between us.

That's up to our distributors. Not us.

jaybe1 wrote: »

If there's a way a group of people can organise a bulk purchase with one payment / one delivery, wholesale rates would certainly apply.

--
    Gerry Mulvenna, Commsoft Ltd
    commsoft.ie | 3G-router.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Moylans

Hi,
    I'm researching this UMR as an option for a holiday house, and will be using prepay on either 3 or meteor depending on signal quality when I get a chance to test it. With prepay I'll want to be able to connect and disconnect at start and end of sessions/day, was wondering is this possible with the Dovado UMR or is the connection always on? I don't want to have to power the unit off after each session as it will probably be in the attic to improve signal reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

Moylans wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm researching this UMR as an option for a holiday house, and will be using prepay on either 3 or meteor depending on signal quality when I get a chance to test it. With prepay I'll want to be able to connect and disconnect at start and end of sessions/day, was wondering is this possible with the Dovado UMR or is the connection always on? I don't want to have to power the unit off after each session as it will probably be in the attic to improve signal reception.

Yes, this is all possible, now with the new firmware you can even control it with your mobile phone, via text!!!! Or else you can use the internet interface of the umr.....

possible with virtually all routers.

A windowsill upstairs facing mast is up to x4 the signal of attic as the tiles severely attenuate the signal. Concrete "terracotta" styled tiles worse than some of the fake slate ones. Metal roofs block completely. Tarred Felt is virtually transparent. Foil insulation or vapour barrier blocks signal completely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Moylans

Robo_Mike wrote: »
    Yes, this is all possible, now with the new firmware you can even control it with your mobile phone, via text!!!! Or else you can use the internet interface of the umr.....
    watty wrote: »
    possible with virtually all routers.

A windowsill upstairs facing mast is up to x4 the signal of attic as the tiles severely attenuate the signal. Concrete "terracotta" styled tiles worse than some of the fake slate ones. Metal roofs block completely. Tarred Felt is virtually transparent. Foil insulation or vapour barrier blocks signal completely too.

Thanks for replies. We'll probably need an antenna - holiday house is in a bad pocket for mobile reception, had to get a fixed cellular terminal with external antenna a few years ago so we could make calls without having to be at the top of the climbing frame in the back garden.

Hello all,

Those of you who have a Huawei E170 or E270 modem today in the UMR, can you please let us know which operator and firmware you're running on your Huawei modem? If you're using it with your DOVADO UMR, you can find out the USB modem firmware in the MODEM->MODEM STATUS page.

We are running a Huawei E270 USB modem with firmware: 11.304.16.01.24

From what we know, the E170 and E270 can run the same firmware. The only difference between these two models of modems is their physical dimensions. Beyond that, they contain the same chipsets for HSUPA.

We have received a case where a UK-based E170 owner had the same problem as some of the problems you have faced with the E270. The firmware he has is based on 11.311.05.01.00.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kileir

Hi Dovado,

I have an E270 running on firmware 11.311.05.01.00 on the 3 network. I have used it with the Dovado UMR many times with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dondwyer157

hey Dovado,

got my UMR a month or two ago, and i gotta say, all is well!
    however, there is just a tiny thing wrong - I updated to firmware version 3, but my UMR never manages to get the correct date/time from the internet. It sticks to 01/01/2000. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but if the month never changes, then the traffic counter won't get reset at the beginning of each month! Ive looked for a way to manually enter the date and time, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

hey Dovado,

got my UMR a month or two ago, and i gotta say, all is well!
    however, there is just a tiny thing wrong - I updated to firmware version 3, but my UMR never manages to get the correct date/time from the internet. It sticks to 01/01/2000. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but if the month never changes, then the traffic counter won't get reset at the beginning of each month! Ive looked for a way to manually enter the date and time, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do this.
    There is no way to manually enter the time on the router. The router doesnt have a battery so it resets the time every time it restarts. Thats why it fetches the time from the net.

Can you please contact us at support@dovado.com and we will try to help you diagnose the issue.

Best Regards
    Mathias

• Registered Users Posts: 4 henry66

Having read through the many posts here, the UMR might just be what I need.

BUT: There seems a version of the FRITZ!FON out there that does very much the
    same, plus many other things (like VOIP). It might still be experimental yet, but
    seems to work quite stable, and future versions of the box will have UMTS-stick
    suitability incorporated, for sure.

Then there are also the HUAWEI i-Mo, and the Novatel Wireless MiFi 2352 out there,
    just waiting to be thrown onto the market, both doing very similar things, but
    having the advantage of being smaller and battery powered, perfect for travelling
    and quick setups, and with a Mem-Card in them for those always needed progs & data.

Anybody out there has any ideas on this, and could convince me why the UMR is the
    thing to go for?

- Henry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dondwyer157

henry66 wrote: »
    Having read through the many posts here, the UMR might just be what I need.

BUT: There seems a version of the FRITZ!FON out there that does very much the
    same, plus many other things (like VOIP). It might still be experimental yet, but
    seems to work quite stable, and future versions of the box will have UMTS-stick
    suitability incorporated, for sure.

Then there are also the HUAWEI i-Mo, and the Novatel Wireless MiFi 2352 out there,
    just waiting to be thrown onto the market, both doing very similar things, but
    having the advantage of being smaller and battery powered, perfect for travelling
    and quick setups, and with a Mem-Card in them for those always needed progs & data.

Anybody out there has any ideas on this, and could convince me why the UMR is the
    thing to go for?

- Henry

I looked up the HUAWEI i-Mo, and the Novatel Wireless MiFi 2352, and neither seem to offer any wired LAN sockets, they both seen to be WiFi only devices. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! :))

I also went onto the FRITZ!FON website, and though it does include a USB port, I couldn't see any reference to UMTS-stick
    suitability being included. It also only includes only 1 USB port. Some mobile devices need two to get the power they need!

I bought a UMR and i find it does everything i want in a mobile router. The only downside i could see for some people is that it can't be battery powered, but that just isn't a problem for me. Also, if you're on this page, you can see that the Dovado community and support is pretty top-notch.

Advertisement