Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're coming to UCD....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Here's the online guide to how to register if you're an incoming student:

http://www.ucd.ie/students/documents/incomingregguide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    It's a system you fill in online. You should have got a little booklet in the post with pictures and guidelines. Also, you can't fill it in before the 29th - just personal information. Fill it in on the 31st when you get home.

Ok, but by registering on the 31st, will i jepordise obtaining a place in some of the classes I want?

Also, probably the silliest question in this thread, but what is difference between classes/electives/modules?

I get quite confused between these terms! :P

Thanks again

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Ok, but by registering on the 31st, will i jepordise obtaining a place in some of the classes I want?

Also, probably the silliest question in this thread, but what is difference between classes/electives/modules?

I get quite confused between these terms! :P

Thanks again
    Modules are classes in the leaving cert sense - I.E. ECON10010 is a module in microeconomics. Electives are the modules you can pick from anywhere across the UCD curriculum.

Edit: And you might not get what you want - I believe it is first come first served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Modules are classes in the leaving cert sense - I.E. ECON10010 is a module in microeconomics. Electives are the modules you can pick from anywhere across the UCD curriculum.

Edit: And you might not get what you want - I believe it is first come first served.
    I thought that everyone registered at any time until the 5th of September at which point any course that's oversubscribed people who need a place are given one and then it's random selection and then you apply for any other spaces left on a first come first serve basis.
    Can anyone clarify that?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

alan4cult wrote: »
    Don't tell me I have to pay 14850 to get into college? I thought it was around 1000 or so. Free Fees I thought?
    That sounds like the non-EU fee. If you're Irish it should be only €1,050.

• Advertisement

33% God wrote: »
    I thought that everyone registered at any time until the 5th of September at which point any course that's oversubscribed people who need a place are given one and then it's random selection and then you apply for any other spaces left on a first come first serve basis.
    Can anyone clarify that?
    Electives are random selection if they are oversubscribed. Core and option modules are first come first served, as far as I know. The same as Electives in the 'go deeper' category are first come first served.

Edit: You should get what you want as they will usually just move the lecture to a different theatre if it becomes full to allow more people to take the module.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

33% God wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify that?

its normally first come first served for option modules but electives are different. They let everyone register and then the places are allotted by random selection. Kind of confusing, your better off registering as early as you can though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Ok, thats fair enough. Can i get someone to register for me when I'm away?

Ooh, and whats this UCD horizons thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ooh, and whats this UCD horizons thing?

It's managment speak and means absolutely nothing.

Basically it's a buzz-word for the structure of choosing an elective every semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

anyone doing philosophy in the arts omnibus?

just wondering what its like

• Advertisement

Ok, thats fair enough. Can i get someone to register for me when I'm away?
    Ask a friend/sibling to do it when they register themselves - avoid asking parents/the computer illiterate, "Ahh sure wouldn't he love to do nuclear physics - our Joey is so smart" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Ask a friend/sibling to do it when they register themselves - avoid asking parents/the computer illiterate, "Ahh sure wouldn't he love to do nuclear physics - our Joey is so smart" :)

:eek: And there was me, a parent, about to do a post saying 'thanks' to everyone on this forum! It's a great resource; kind of gives the whole thing a human face.

The daughter will kill me for posting this, so I'd better shut up!:D

:eek: And there was me, a parent, about to do a post saying 'thanks' to everyone on this forum! It's a great resource; kind of gives the whole thing a human face.

The daughter will kill me for posting this, so I'd better shut up!:D
    Empirical evidence in action. Parents aren't computer illiterate after all. Apologies if I offended ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Empirical evidence in action. Parents aren't computer illiterate after all. Apologies if I offended ;)
    pwned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

ok so REALLY stupid question.....

what is the difference between doing computer science through arts.....

and picking computer science as a subject through arts omnibus?

DN050 Computer science through Arts is different in that you spend a fourth year doing just computer science. Taking computer science through general Arts (DN012) means no extra year, as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

can you choose to do the extra year for a masters?? sorry for the questions!!

can you choose to do the extra year for a masters?? sorry for the questions!!
    Probably best to wait for Rainbow Kirby to answer that one :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 miss attitude

I'm hoping to do science omnibus and im confused about what modules i want to take so i was going to wait until the advisory session to pick but will this jeopordise my chances of getting on a module if its done on a first come first serve basis?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I'm hoping to do science omnibus and im confused about what modules i want to take so i was going to wait until the advisory session to pick but will this jeopordise my chances of getting on a module if its done on a first come first serve basis?:confused:

I'm in the exact same position as you. I'll be the confused fellow standing in the corner during the advisory session.:pac::pac::D

So would love some advice on this too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Just a Question about modules. When you read the timetable information about modules it sometimes says Offering 1, Offering 2, Oferring 3, etc..
    Is it necessary to attend all the offerings or are offerring 2,3,4,... just alternatives for timetabling purposes?

See my lovely picture:
    61923.JPG

That's first year Micro - you attend any set of offerings so pick between "Semester one - Offering one" and "Semester one - Offering two". Also, you can take it in Semester two but there is only one offering then.

That's first year Micro - you attend any set of offerings so pick between "Semester one - Offering one" and "Semester one - Offering two". Also, you can take it in Semester two but there is only one offering then.
    And is each set of offerings just the same as the others except on at different times (Same Module Content I mean)?

Yes. Same content - different lecture times. Midterm exam will be on at a different time too.

Yes. Same content - different lecture times. Midterm exam will be on at a different time too.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

So where there are tutorials with say 12 offerings, does the same person give all 12 or is this dependent on the one you pick??

muffinman wrote: »
    So where there are tutorials with say 12 offerings, does the same person give all 12 or is this dependent on the one you pick??
    Give all 12? Can you rephrase your question, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 strawberryfield

Ok, I have a couple of silly stressed out fresher questions that have been floating around my head the past few days,
    1. Accomodation...I have applied but I havn't recieved anything other than that email saying my deposit has been accepted, etc. I know, i know, its probably fine...but...:o...humour me..
    2. Does anyone know if there are any particular electives that are good for a vet student?? As in ones that'd stand by them in years to come....i'm probably nudging at the electives from the wider agricultural science school.
    Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Give all 12? Can you rephrase your question, please.

teach all 12??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I just finished first year of science omnibus, what are you confused about, what subjects do you want to pick and what kind of degree do you hope to get in the end?

Hopefully I'll be able to help.

Advertisement