Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're coming to UCD....

Options
  • 18-08-2008 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Just thought we might as well throw up some info that the new first years might ask.

Feel free to add as you see fit:

Orientation isn't compulsory - don't worry if you miss it! It's handy as a way to get to know places but you'll survive without it!

Electives can be chosen from anywhere you just need to fit them into your timetable.

Can't think of anything else at the moment but i'm sure others will think of things!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Your welcome pack is already on the way - have a look here if you can't wait.

Log in here in 2-3 days to fill in your personal information and pay the registration fee - it's 1,050 yoyos. Your student number is your CAO number and the password is your date of Birth DDMMYY

Check your UCD email regularly.

Question about electives? Check here and here first.

That's about all I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Information on applying for on campus accommodation can be found here: http://www.ucd.ie/residences/apply_cao.html

If you got questions I'd say try throwing them up here. Once today hits the phones in accommodation go mental and trying to get through can be a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Going to UCD. DN020.
    Just wondering what hoildays are there during the year.
    I presume Christmas and Easter but anymore?

Just Christmas and Easter. 12 weeks of classes, 1 week of study, 2 weeks of exams. 4 weeks for Christmas. Rinse & repeat (except 2 weeks for Easter)

Edit: http://www.ucd.ie/students/keydates.htm

^^Thanks. 4weeks for Christmas :D

• Advertisement

You're welcome. Four months (pretty much) for summer is nice too :pac:

What is the exam process? Do you need to attend? Sorry for all the questions.

Negative - that's just when they're (lecturers & admin) correcting and entering the grades on grade book. No problem - ask as many as you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Robaato

Does anyone know when incoming arts students can pick their subjects? do you have to wait untill the first week or can it be done online before that?

Does anyone know when incoming arts students can pick their subjects? do you have to wait untill the first week or can it be done online before that?
    29th of August.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

is there a change of mind period for modules? So even after you have registered and chosen your modules before you start, can you change your mind after 'trying them out' in the first week or two so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Can you still register in person in the college??? If so, when is the earliest I can do it?

I'm unable to register online as I have to sort out issues with the registration fees as I dont need to pay them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I was wondering, what are the minimum points usually for the entrance scholarships?
    I think that they're given to the highest scoring person in each degree course but how high would that usually be?

Also if anyone could give me some input on this I'd be eternally grateful. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055357968

is there a change of mind period for modules? So even after you have registered and chosen your modules before you start, can you change your mind after 'trying them out' in the first week or two so to speak?

Yes there's no problem with that. You just unregister for that module and reregister for another providing there's space in that one of course.

There's plenty of email notification as to the last dates for module changes and things too.

Yes - You have to have it completed by September 19th. The is a change of mind window in November for Semester two modules.
    I was wondering, what are the minimum points usually for the entrance scholarships?
    I think that they're given to the highest scoring person in each degree course but how high would that usually be?
    There is a band set for each course and anyone who scores above that gets the entrance scholarship - so there can be more than one per course.

33% God wrote: »

Also if anyone could give me some input on this I'd be eternally grateful. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055357968

Thh minimum for entrance exhibition award is 540 points.

As for each individual course: http://www.ucd.ie/horizons/entrance.pdf

That's the anticipated points level for this year.

Can you still register in person in the college??? If so, when is the earliest I can do it?

I'm unable to register online as I have to sort out issues with the registration fees as I dont need to pay them.
    Send the student desk an email - I'm not sure if they do that any more.They will be able to tell you.

studentdesk[at]ucd[dot]ie

As for each individual course: http://www.ucd.ie/horizons/entrance.pdf

That's the anticipated points level for this year.
    Thank you :D

I'm 5 points off a scholarship :(

Their only guesses, the actual cut off point may be different.

They'll send out letters come mid October if you are an entrance scholar.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

What exactly is this?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

What exactly is this??
    Money, preferential placement in accommodation, your mug stuck on the site, etc.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/scholarships_page.ezc#exhib

I'm not exactly sure - I think it's just an award for people who achieve high points.

AFAIK this was the first year of it. I'd certainly never heard of it before now.

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Money, preferential placement in accommodation, your mug stuck on the site, etc.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/scholarships_page.ezc#exhib

The Scholarships and Entrance Exhibition awards are two different things.

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Depends on what you're interested in - your first year grades don't count towards your degree class so there's no penalty in being adventurous as long as you pass ;)

The Scholarships and Entrance Exhibition awards are two different things.
    Aye, I know that, I was talking about scholarships in general. That's why I linked the general scholarship page :pac:

Depends on what you're interested in - your first year grades don't count towards your degree class so there's no penalty in being adventurous as long as you pass ;)
    So I can take hard electives this year and do badly and still (in theory:p) get a 1.1?

Yep you can.

Each course differs as to what years count. *Generally* if you're in a four year course the last 2 years are the only 2 that count.

Keep in mind though that if you decide to stay on for postgrads (I know that's ages away) your first year results are looked at and brought into it - that's mainly for scholarships though.

33% God wrote: »
    So I can take hard electives this year and do badly and still (in theory:p) get a 1.1?
    Usually it's just your final two year's grades that count towards degree class (I.I, II.I, etc) so yes you could do that. But don't go picking, say, third year physics just for giggles :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yes - You have to have it completed by September 19th. The is a change of mind window in November for Semester two modules.

I meant more, if you already have it completed (as you need to, in order to pay your fees, get a student card etc.) can you then *change* it afterwards. Or once you have registered, is it the case that you can't change it?

Advertisement